Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do I turn off these stupid notifications for these imaginary “blessings”? I can’t find the option in preferences, though there are a couple of dozen things you can be notified of.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There does not appear to be an option. I've opened a ticket through the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I suggest others do the same
thanks, it’s been irritating.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Go to your account Preferences, scroll down to notifications until you find the Daily Activity Event. Unselect it and hit Save.

shot.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I can understand why these might be annoying, however, just so you know, they can be used to upgrade accounts to ad-free status and also in exchange for username changes. If you already have that, you can give them to other members such as friends where they do make a nice gift, provided your friend knows what to do with them. I spent some months on CF.com before I had any idea what these points were for, until a very nice mod gave me some so I could upgrade my account, as an advert kept popping up which was triggering nausea.

Given the specific liturgical context in Eastern Orthodoxy (and Oriental Orthodoxy, and Eastern Catholicism, and the Assyrians) of requesting a blessing, in Syriac, Barekh Mor, which in the Byzantine liturgy of course comes immediately before the “Blessed is the Kingdom…” before the Great Litany, is that why the name could bothers you @rusmeister ?

Shortly after being chrismated I made what could have been an embarrassing faux pas when I said “God bless you” to the abbess of an Orthodox convent, but the priest did a very good job of delicately explaining to me how I should have asked her for a blessing rather than vice versa and this became even more apparent when I began acquiring liturgical texts, but what was very nice about the whole incident is that the nuns accepted what I said in the spirit in which it was given (as a cradle Protestant who had just joined the Orthodox church trying to do the right thing), as did the priest, who was pastoral and gentle rather than uppity or holier-than-thou when I made the mistake. It demonstrated the loving nature of the community. This was at a small OCA parish. The priest also helped me get into the process of acquiring a liturgical library; without him or Fr. John Hinton’s website I would have not known what to get.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
It;s January 3rd now. Isn't it time to be done with the Holiday icons, etc? I suppose we are going to have to put up with that all year round?
I did disable mine but I would think it would be annoying to visitors to the site.

I haven’t been seeing them. That said I kind of wish they would keep them up until Theophany on the Julian Calendar or alternately put up a message for the large number of Christians who celebrate Christmas according to the old calendar date.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I haven’t been seeing them. That said I kind of wish they would keep them up until Theophany on the Julian Calendar or alternately put up a message for the large number of Christians who celebrate Christmas according to the old calendar date.
Someone on here said they were rather offended by pilgrim hats, etc, on sacred icons(that they have in their avatars)and I can certainly understand that.
Maybe if they did it a bit differently.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟455,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not to digress but I just glanced down below this thread to see what is listed as "SIMILAR THREADS."

And there is one there captioned as:

WHY BUFFALO WINGS ARE ALWAYS SERVED WITH A SIDE OF CELERY

Not sure how that is "similar" to this thread, but hey, it's all good I guess.

:cool:

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Someone on here said they were rather offended by pilgrim hats, etc, on sacred icons(that they have in their avatars)and I can certainly understand that.
Maybe if they did it a bit differently.

Yes, I noticed that although I understand a desire to be festive, but a lot of members, not just Orthodox, have icons or other sacred art as their profile images.

Reactions: LizaMarie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Not to digress but I just glanced down below this thread to see what is listed as "SIMILAR THREADS."

And there is one there captioned as:

WHY BUFFALO WINGS ARE ALWAYS SERVED WITH A SIDE OF CELERY

Not sure how that is "similar" to this thread, but hey, it's all good I guess.

:cool:

I am more curious as an avid Ranch Dressing man as to why in the Eastern US they prefer blue cheese dressing.

Actually I deeply resent Blue Cheese dressing, because as I see it, it steals marketshare from Roquefort, which is a similiar but superior salad dressing which like blue cheese is ideal for use also in the serving of steaks and roast beef dishes, but unlike blue cheese, it does not crumble, being more of a delicious sauce.

Speaking of salad dressing, in 2008 before the horrible drugs violence wrecked the tourist industry, I dined at the Hotel Cesar in Tijuana, where Caesar Salad was invented, and the dressing was prepared tableside. That restaurant was amazing, and I believe it is still in business; unfortunately some other Tijuana restaurants on the Avenida de la Revolucion did not survive, for example, the Cafe La Especial, which was a large and family friendly Mexican restaurant which had sumptuous basic Sonoran Mexican cuisine served with flair by a wonderful professional waitstaff.

Upvote 0

Nick1000

Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2018
Pacific Coast - originally from Maine
✟455,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am more curious as an avid Ranch Dressing man as to why in the Eastern US they prefer blue cheese dressing.

Actually I deeply resent Blue Cheese dressing, because as I see it, it steals marketshare from Roquefort, which is a similiar but superior salad dressing which like blue cheese is ideal for use also in the serving of steaks and roast beef dishes, but unlike blue cheese, it does not crumble, being more of a delicious sauce.
Ahhh, all those references to cheese sound gouda.

I doubt that anyone here will disabrie with that.

• Winner
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Ahhh, all those references to cheese sound gouda.

I doubt that anyone here will disabrie with that.
I camembert definitely agree with that!

Upvote 0