BCubed

Nov 27, 2016
United States
✟11,425.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Getting ready to purchase my first ESV translation Bible and am considering a couple choices*, one of which is the Single Column Journaling Bible, large print edition ESV Single Column Journaling Bible, Large Print, Mocha Bonded Leather

Although I wish the font was a bit larger (9.5 pt) for my aging eyes, I love the single column layout, which seems to keep me a bit more focused than the two column layout of most Bibles. While I've underlined some here and there in my Bibles, I've never really taken any notes as the pastor or my brothers in Christ have spoken (or thoughts have come to my mind). Growing up it was like "the Bible is sacred and we should never deface it." But now, for my spiritual growth, I feel like taking notes is a must for me.

Can anyone recommend a pen, or pens, that write smoothly and do not bleed through to the back of the page? Is there something I should be specifically looking for in a pen that makes it better geared towards writing in the Bible?

* I've also considered this wide margin Bible because it offers some writing space to the sides with a larger font (11 pt) and more helpful information at the bottom of the page ESV Large Print Wide Margin Bible (TruTone, Brown/Cordovan, Portfolio Design)

Thanks for any and all input/advice you can send my way!!!

BCubed

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say > first get a Bible with the print which is right for you. You could be reading this a lot.

And my opinion is that if you write in the Bible, you could grow more and then want something else or something more where you already have written. So, I would keep notes in another place.

Maybe have a special scripture study journal . . . where you can note the scripture for comment. I would think your notes will need more space, and you don't want to cram things.

But in case you do decide to write in the Bible > still first get the one really right for your sight. And get the pen you already appreciate and test it on maybe a corner of a Bible page where it can't hurt anything, and it might be all right :)

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟377,931.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Getting ready to purchase my first ESV translation Bible and am considering a couple choices*, one of which is the Single Column Journaling Bible, large print edition ESV Single Column Journaling Bible, Large Print, Mocha Bonded Leather

Although I wish the font was a bit larger (9.5 pt) for my aging eyes, I love the single column layout, which seems to keep me a bit more focused than the two column layout of most Bibles. While I've underlined some here and there in my Bibles, I've never really taken any notes as the pastor or my brothers in Christ have spoken (or thoughts have come to my mind). Growing up it was like "the Bible is sacred and we should never deface it." But now, for my spiritual growth, I feel like taking notes is a must for me.

Can anyone recommend a pen, or pens, that write smoothly and do not bleed through to the back of the page? Is there something I should be specifically looking for in a pen that makes it better geared towards writing in the Bible?

* I've also considered this wide margin Bible because it offers some writing space to the sides with a larger font (11 pt) and more helpful information at the bottom of the page ESV Large Print Wide Margin Bible (TruTone, Brown/Cordovan, Portfolio Design)

Thanks for any and all input/advice you can send my way!!!

BCubed
Ballpoint.

Bibles use thinner paper than most other books that I have come across. That's the difference-maker when trying to find a suitable pen for noting.

Upvote 0

BCubed

Nov 27, 2016
United States
✟11,425.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I use a pencil hb I am wary of pens.
I have used a pencil for decades with no problem. :)

Thanks for the input! Do you not have a problem with the graphite smearing? Any special type of pencil?

Again, I appreciate the input!

I would say > first get a Bible with the print which is right for you. You could be reading this a lot.

And my opinion is that if you write in the Bible, you could grow more and then want something else or something more where you already have written. So, I would keep notes in another place.

Maybe have a special scripture study journal . . . where you can note the scripture for comment. I would think your notes will need more space, and you don't want to cram things.

But in case you do decide to write in the Bible > still first get the one really right for your sight. And get the pen you already appreciate and test it on maybe a corner of a Bible page where it can't hurt anything, and it might be all right :)

Thanks for the advice about the print size!

My dream ESV Bible would be single column with an 11 or 12 point font. But it seems like all single column Bibles are journaling Bibles that have a maximum of 9.5 font.

I appreciate the advice on keeping my notes in another place. I thought having them in the Bible would allow me to have the notes right beside the scripture. But having them in a scripture study journal makes a lot of sense!

If I get a pen I'll definitely test it on an inconspicuous spot! Thanks!

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond and offering your advice!

Here are the three Bibles I'm considering - again, would prefer a single column ESV Bible with 11 or 12 font but can't seem to find one.
ESV Large Print Wide Margin Bible (TruTone, Brown/Cordovan, Portfolio Design)

ESV Single Column Journaling Bible, Large Print, Mocha Bonded Leather

https://www.amazon.com/dp/143355178...olid=3MKPTD4TB6A20&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

BCubed

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Like I say, if you write something somewhere, you might want something else to be there, later.

I now think of this > may be you can have the ESV in large readable print, with no marking or comments or references, just a clean Bible for pure reading.

But also have a study Bible with commentary and chain references to bring you from one scripture to others about the same subject, and showing where similar verses can be found. And you can write in that. And if it gets filled up with writing, then you can start another Bible, maybe.

And your study Bible can be in another translation, so you can compare between them.

Upvote 0

BCubed

Nov 27, 2016
United States
✟11,425.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
maybe you can have the ESV in large readable print, with no marking or comments or references, just a clean Bible for pure reading.

But also have a study Bible with commentary and chain references to bring you from one scripture to others about the same subject, and showing where similar verses can be found. And you can write in that. And if it gets filled up with writing, then you can start another Bible, maybe.

And your study Bible can be in another translation, so you can compare between them.

Right now I'm thinking about getting a large print version as well as a journal to take notes in. The large print version I'm looking at has a Concordance, but I'd rather have a few more explanations at the bottom of the page and no Concordance for simplicity sake (but no such luck unless I go with the large print wide margin version).

I already have several different study Bible translations, but if I fall in love with the ESV translation I may end up getting a study Bible in it too.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for your input and guidance. It's been a tremendous help!

BCubed

Last edited:
Upvote 0