Country
Canada
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
While I was studying law, my teacher taught us of the widely used term of "Don't use the Lord's Name in vain." Of course most people agree that it is blasphemy of shouting out Jesus's name in anger however, my teacher said there was a different meaning that scholars of law and biblical agree on.

Essentially the commandment "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain" Exodus 20:7 is actually referring to swearing an oath under God's name and not fulfilling your word (In His name). For example, when swearing the Oath of Allegiance on the Bible in Canada you will swear to bear Oath to the Queen of Canada and Her heirs and successors, and you will fulfill your duties without fear, so help you God. Failure to uphold your oath, and as such if you swear the oath without the intention of being true to it, you are breaking to word of God.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Do you believe that this is the true intended nature of the Commandment? Or is it the most commonly believe? Or both? By the way I do believe that cursing at, or using the name of Jesus in a negative light is blasphemy, I personally believe however, the explanation above could possibly be the intended reason.

Furthermore, if anyone could explain to me how the term "Oh my God" would fall under this category? I personally never understood it, and would be appreciative if anyone could tell me! Thank you :)

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Essentially the commandment "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain" Exodus 20:7 is actually referring to swearing an oath under God's name and not fulfilling your word (In His name).
That certainly is one true meaning of the phrase. It was never meant to refer to the cussing and swearing that is common in modern day vernacular. (GD this or JC that...) That is a very modern invention.

It is also about saying something supposedly from God when it was not:

Jer 23:21
I did not send these prophets,
But they ran.
I did not speak to them,
But they prophesied.

Jer 27:14
So do not listen to the words of the prophets who speak to you, saying, ‘You will not serve the king of Babylon,’ for they prophesy a lie to you; 15 for I have not sent them,” declares the Lord, “but they prophesy falsely in My name, in order that I may drive you out and that you may perish, you and the prophets who prophesy to you.”

Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... Furthermore, if anyone could explain to me how the term "Oh my God" would fall under this category? I personally never understood it, and would be appreciative if anyone could tell me!
This article from gotquestions.org gives a short but broad answer your question, along with the fact that some followers of Christ treat "God" as one of God's names. (You'll note some people write "G-d.")

Upvote 0

Multifavs

Daughter of God
Site Supporter
May 28, 2017
USA
✟151,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe that using the name of God or Jesus Christ as an oath or in a way that is not respectful (like using His name in anger or surprise) is using His name in vain. Unfortunately I see a lot of Christians who frequently use the Lord's name in vain despite being reminded about the commandment not to. I have even seen people suggest that you are supposed to use the name of whoever you worship in vain, which is ridiculous; it's disrespect, not worship! Maybe they have misinterpreted it...

Either way, God's name and Christ's name are holy and should be used with the respect and honor that He deserves.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Either way, God's name and Christ's name are holy and should be used with the respect and honor that He deserves.
Amen sister!

• Friendly
Reactions: Multifavs
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While I was studying law, my teacher taught us of the widely used term of "Don't use the Lord's Name in vain." Of course most people agree that it is blasphemy of shouting out Jesus's name in anger however, my teacher said there was a different meaning that scholars of law and biblical agree on.

Essentially the commandment "Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain" Exodus 20:7 is actually referring to swearing an oath under God's name and not fulfilling your word (In His name). For example, when swearing the Oath of Allegiance on the Bible in Canada you will swear to bear Oath to the Queen of Canada and Her heirs and successors, and you will fulfill your duties without fear, so help you God. Failure to uphold your oath, and as such if you swear the oath without the intention of being true to it, you are breaking to word of God.

What is everyone's opinion on this? Do you believe that this is the true intended nature of the Commandment? Or is it the most commonly believe? Or both? By the way I do believe that cursing at, or using the name of Jesus in a negative light is blasphemy, I personally believe however, the explanation above could possibly be the intended reason.

Furthermore, if anyone could explain to me how the term "Oh my God" would fall under this category? I personally never understood it, and would be appreciative if anyone could tell me! Thank you :)

First of all, "Oh my God" can't fall under this category. Allow me to share some thoughts...

My personal belief is that this is the least understood of the 10 commandments. And here is why:

First of all, “God” is not a name, and so the idea that saying GD, while obviously wrong, is not breaking this commandment. When you break this down by the words, you find out that it really isn't saying what we think it is at all. For example...

Take – the word is nasa, which means to lift up, carry, elevate

Name – shem in Hebrew and dealing more with the name bearers character and authority than it is what we call that person

Vain – to make worthless, of no value at all.

So this verse is saying that we are not to lift up or elevate God's character and authority in a manner that makes it appear worthless to those around us. And how do we do that? By “acknowledging Jesus with our lips, and denying him by our lifestyle.” That is probably the most common way. When we claim to belong to God but then the world around us does not see Him in our deeds nor hear Him in our words, then we are elevating His character and authority in a manner that makes it of no value. That is how we break this commandment, IMHO.

• Winner
Reactions: Hearingheart
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

It sounds like you and I basically agree here. Taking the Lord's name in vain encompasses a lot more than curse words. Frankly, it chills my blood to think about what might be in store for people who turn the faith into a get rich quick scheme. I won't advertise for anybody but I bet you can probably imagine some names in the Christian world who see their task as scamming as much money as they can from people.

If that isn't taking the Lord's name in vain then I don't know what is.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Your teacher is correct. It is a judicial rule much the same as the prohibition against bearing false witness. Do not swear by the name of God then not fulfill your oath, and do not wrongly accuse an innocent person.

Jesus advised against oaths altogether, but it is unknown if that includes being sworn as a witness in court.

Upvote 0