Not that "before Evolution: you must become a fish", but Jesus never said "before man, be ape"

What is the maximum number of changes a species can make from its original form?

• 1?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2?

• 5?

• 10?

• ?100

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Gottservant

God loves your words, may men love them also
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Hi there,

So there are two directions this thread is going to take: one, is that you can believe what you want; two, you can distinguish what you believe from the world. The first point, pertains to the idea that I am not asking you to be something you are not: you are a man and I understand what it is to be a man - I am not asking you to become a fish. Neither does Evolution ask you to be a fish. There is speculation that we came from the water, but fundamentally you don't have to go back to being a fish, to be a man.

The second of my two points: is what Jesus said. Fundamentally, Jesus never said "before you become man, become an ape". What Jesus said is "I will make you fishers of men", that is, you will save men from trying to be fishes, when they are not. Is it an equivocation to say that Jesus could make us tree loggers of apes? The point is that it never needs to get that far: Jesus saving us from being tempted to be like fish, saves us from being tempted to be like apes. Is being a fish somehow better than being an ape? That's not the point! The point is that it never needs to get that far. The same logic, that compares a man with a fish, is the same logic that compares a man with an ape - for those that can see the difference: they can be saved.

What you have overlooked is that a progression of attribution, does not save from God. Our sins are fish sins, our sins are monkey sins, you need to repent of either or anything like them. This is the calling of the Holy Spirit to men, to put behind them futile thinking and serve the Living God. God calls us to this. He did not create fish, thinking men would be tempted to be fish; create apes, thinking men would be tempted to be apes. Surely you see that there is no mystery in this, that no matter how many times you hide behind other forms of life, as much as you sin, you still need to repent. And what are you going to find? That all your sins are Man's sins.

1 Cor 10:13 No temptation has seized you but that which is common to Man

You have much that is right, there is much to be said, for waiting for the truth to emerge (whether in a machine or biologically, or wherever else Evolution may be held out for) but the idea that you burn the bridge back to the Man you used to be is not just a sin, but a great sin. You should be lamenting that you have been snared by the Devil, on what your true identity is as a Child of God. What are all your transitions going to be, if you have no faith for God, in them? I don't want to confuse you: I am not saying "go back to the fishiness of your Evolution" or "stay with the apeness of you Evolution" but look rationally at the evidence: when does the caterpillar become the butterfly without the cocoon? When does the chameleon changes its colour without the background being changed? This is a pattern throughout all Creation! If Jesus had required Evolution at the hands of all Creation, we would all have been given cocoons, we would have been able to change our colour at will.

No, Creation is a response to the Love of God, He cannot be despised without retribution. If you continue in your sin, you will suffer for it. Perhaps if you endure a curse for long enough, you will change your mind - but I don't want that for you, No! I do not promise to pray for you: that is something you must do and at great length. I am simply here to remind you, that the ape is not afraid of the fish, there is no reason for you to be afraid of the ape. One day, you may look back and laugh and be free to learn from all Creation, the Holy Spirit will be there in that Day, to help you - just don't reject what you have at His Hand, you may regret it eternally!

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
So there are two directions this thread is going to take: one, is that you can believe what you want; two, you can distinguish what you believe from the world.
Thus far, all I can see is that you have chosen to 'believe what you want' and not stopped for a miliisecond to consider the second. Either way, both directions are one in the same ... ie: believing stuff .. rather than making the effort to actually find out.

• Agree
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Thus far, all I can see is that you have chosen to 'believe what you want' and not stopped for a miliisecond to consider the second. Either way, both directions are one in the same ... ie: believing stuff .. rather than making the effort to actually find out.

Why be mean and nasty? I have taken what Jesus said, and explained it doesn't mean "anything you want"?

When Jesus said "I will make you fishers of men" do you think He meant "you will have to wait a while for slime to change into fishes"?

You fundamentally, have a side to you, that Jesus considers worth saving - He is not going to confuse either of us, on that!

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
When Jesus said "I will make you fishers of men" do you think He meant "you will have to wait a while for slime to change into fishes"?
Are you deliberately altering the meaning of the noun 'fishers' (as in fishermen (eg: say rock-fishermen), with 'a fish'?

Gottservant said:
You fundamentally, have a side to you, that Jesus considers worth saving - He is not going to confuse either of us, on that!
So you say .. I'm ok though .. still survivin'.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Are you deliberately altering the meaning of the noun 'fishers' (as in fishermen (eg: say rock-fishermen), with 'a fish'?

Jesus spoke to fishermen, that considered themselves "fishers of fish".

So you say .. I'm ok though .. still survivin'.

Surviving? Or caught in the net?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟299,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What I want to know is, what was in it for Darwin?

He wanted to find out where the various species came from. Is that motivation so hard to comprehend?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Jesus spoke to fishermen, that considered themselves "fishers of fish".
Ok (thanks for clarifying) .. but what does that have to do with: "you will have to wait a while for slime to change into fishes"?
PS: Why would you even think of that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
He wanted to find out where the various species came from. Is that motivation so hard to comprehend?

I ask one thing about Darwin and you say "what's so hard"? I never said it was hard to question. I said I want to know.

Upvote 0

Gottservant

Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2006
✟276,687.00
Faith
Messianic
Ok (thanks for clarifying) .. but what does that have to do with: "you will have to wait a while for slime to change into fishes"?

That's what I am saying: there is not a single stage, at which Jesus says "you are ready to be saved" - if there was he would say "wait until they become a large fish, before you reach out to them": today is the day of Salvation (today).

PS: Why would you even think of that?

I am thinking along these lines, because I can't find a single thing Jesus said, that shows humanity in itself is inadequate for salvation - even as Evolution says, up to a level of survival that it did not have before. You are trying to make me feel inadequate, but I know where I stand - Jesus will not reject my Salvation because of the past, because I have repented of it. To me it seems like a silly game you want to play with hermeneutics about how recently I was guilty of a sin I didn't understand. You can't understand "sin" without the Holy Spirit: so your speculation about the past and what it lead to is (inherently) misguided.

I want to agree with you, that certain species have certain strengths and certain weaknesses - everything else as pertains to them changing back and forth is all the makings of an elaborate furphy.

If you want to defend me, defend me; if you want to attack me, attack me - but make your intentions "clear" so that I can respond to them with a minimum of reflection (not more and more words, as you see here?)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
.. but make your intentions "clear" so that I can respond to them with a minimum of reflection (not more and more words, as you see here?
Ok .. my intentions are for you to be a peace with yourself brother .. may you find it somehow .. I'm outta here.

• Informative
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟243,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
To your poll... there is no maximum. It is unanswerable and seems to have nothing at all to do with the OP.

As for the rest... sigh... Christianity and the Bible have nothing at all to do with Evolution. Asking what Jesus meant with regard to evolution or pointing out he didn't say this or that with regard to evolution is completely irrelevant. Evolution is based on observation of reality, not what someone said about anything.

It seems to me that you're just using evolution as a pretext to preach. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi there,

So there are two directions this thread is going to take: one, is that you can believe what you want; two, you can distinguish what you believe from the world. The first point, pertains to the idea that I am not asking you to be something you are not: you are a man and I understand what it is to be a man - I am not asking you to become a fish. Neither does Evolution ask you to be a fish. There is speculation that we came from the water, but fundamentally you don't have to go back to being a fish, to be a man.

The second of my two points: is what Jesus said. Fundamentally, Jesus never said "before you become man, become an ape". What Jesus said is "I will make you fishers of men", that is, you will save men from trying to be fishes, when they are not. Is it an equivocation to say that Jesus could make us tree loggers of apes? The point is that it never needs to get that far: Jesus saving us from being tempted to be like fish, saves us from being tempted to be like apes. Is being a fish somehow better than being an ape? That's not the point! The point is that it never needs to get that far. The same logic, that compares a man with a fish, is the same logic that compares a man with an ape - for those that can see the difference: they can be saved.

This sounds like "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin." Instead of imagining about what Jesus did not say, tell us what he did say about evolution. The answer is nothing.

• Prayers
Reactions: Gottservant
Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟925,893.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Hi there,

What you have overlooked is that a progression of attribution, does not save from God. Our sins are fish sins, our sins are monkey sins, you need to repent of either or anything like them. This is the calling of the Holy Spirit to men, to put behind them futile thinking and serve the Living God. God calls us to this. He did not create fish, thinking men would be tempted to be fish; create apes, thinking men would be tempted to be apes. Surely you see that there is no mystery in this, that no matter how many times you hide behind other forms of life, as much as you sin, you still need to repent. And what are you going to find? That all your sins are Man's sins.

1 Cor 10:13 No temptation has seized you but that which is common to Man

You have much that is right, there is much to be said, for waiting for the truth to emerge (whether in a machine or biologically, or wherever else Evolution may be held out for) but the idea that you burn the bridge back to the Man you used to be is not just a sin, but a great sin. You should be lamenting that you have been snared by the Devil, on what your true identity is as a Child of God. What are all your transitions going to be, if you have no faith for God, in them? I don't want to confuse you: I am not saying "go back to the fishiness of your Evolution" or "stay with the apeness of you Evolution" but look rationally at the evidence: when does the caterpillar become the butterfly without the cocoon? When does the chameleon changes its colour without the background being changed? This is a pattern throughout all Creation! If Jesus had required Evolution at the hands of all Creation, we would all have been given cocoons, we would have been able to change our colour at will.

No, Creation is a response to the Love of God, He cannot be despised without retribution. If you continue in your sin, you will suffer for it. Perhaps if you endure a curse for long enough, you will change your mind - but I don't want that for you, No! I do not promise to pray for you: that is something you must do and at great length. I am simply here to remind you, that the ape is not afraid of the fish, there is no reason for you to be afraid of the ape. One day, you may look back and laugh and be free to learn from all Creation, the Holy Spirit will be there in that Day, to help you - just don't reject what you have at His Hand, you may regret it eternally!
This appears to have nothing at all to do with the Theory of Evolution, so it is misleading to use that term in this forum.

As many people have tried to make you understand, individuals don't evolve and don't possess an evolution.

Evolutionary history is only about ancient ancestry and is not about your choices or events in your own lifetime.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Instead of imagining about what Jesus did not say, tell us what he did say about evolution. The answer is nothing.
Jesus spoke of creationism, not against evolution.

But Solomon and Paul had plenty to say against evolution.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,451.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Then by all means, share with us, please, what Jesus said against evolution.

I was referring more to your claims that Soloman and Paul had anything to say about evolution.

Though Jesus didn't have anything to say about evolution because no-one who wrote the Bible knew what evolution was, so... yeah.

Upvote 0