Not sure where to post this....Wondering how perceptive Satan is?

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When we talk or write he can obviously know what we are communicating. So by writing things down, especially our plans, do you think this gives him more opportunities to disrupt our path to God? To drive a wedge into our lives separating us from who we seek? I've never heard of any Christians talking about this yet we are told repeatedly he is Prince of this world, at least for a while, so why wouldn't he use everything at his disposal to draw us into Hell with him? We also communicate by body language. If we can detect at least broad feelings of others through body language imagine what the devil can detect with all his experience observing others for so many years? He is rather well practised. At least we know he doesn't know our thoughts like God does of course. That's a relief. But I wonder about body language and how much we give away. I suspect quite a lot.

Reactions: sandman

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,409.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God has boundaries on Satans activity and he must get permission before acting.
God makes sure his activities will only ultimately increase blessing on the elect.

"All things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose...."

So focus on God and put on His armour - focus on Satan is spiritually unhealthy.

Learn to deal with his intrusions when they happen and leave it at that.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When we talk or write he can obviously know what we are communicating. So by writing things down, especially our plans, do you think this gives him more opportunities to disrupt our path to God? To drive a wedge into our lives separating us from who we seek? I've never heard of any Christians talking about this yet we are told repeatedly he is Prince of this world, at least for a while, so why wouldn't he use everything at his disposal to draw us into Hell with him? We also communicate by body language. If we can detect at least broad feelings of others through body language imagine what the devil can detect with all his experience observing others for so many years? He is rather well practised. At least we know he doesn't know our thoughts like God does of course. That's a relief. But I wonder about body language and how much we give away. I suspect quite a lot.

I had thought about that before and then realized that writing things down doesn't reveal any more information than our, actions, habits, body language and conversations with others would reveal. So don't worry about it. You may not write down your plans, but at some point you'll need to do SOMETHING in order to bring about your plans and the enemy can figure things out from your actions. Like putting on a coat and getting your car keys means you're about to go out. You don't have to write down I'm going out for someone to figure out that's what you're doing. Same thing with other plans. Saving money, researching plane tickets, looking up weather and things to do in certain places will give clues without you having to write down your plans. So might as well write it down to keep organized for yourself. Just keep in prayer and trusting God is all you can do. Don't worry about what the enemy will know. Just live your life. :) The enemy is not all powerful and not all knowing. The devil didn't even know for sure who Jesus was or what God's plan was, so we know he can't see into the future.
I think the closer we are to God, the closer we are to the bright light of God and the devil can't see what's happening clearly when staring into a bright light. Like a car putting their high beams right in your eyes. You can't see the driver or even what kind of car it is or anything in that bright light. So we need to get close enough to God to let the bright light of God blind the devil to what we are doing. :)

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I do not have an absolute answer to your question but I can say that satan is not omnipresent like God and while satan has helpers I doubt they can pay attention to everything that everyone does so my thought would be that unless you are a high priority target your goals and plans are safe.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Praying out loud, writing things down etc... all convey information and Satan picks up on it.

But God is infinitely wiser and more informed than Satan. So it does not matter.

What DOES matter though is giving expression to doubts and fears - because then "you" are the one being changed. Your own soul reacts to the words you are hearing/writing as a "new event". So for that reason it is best not to express depressing thoughts. Also while scripture says "no on knows the thoughts of a man but the spirit of that person" - we also know that God reads the thoughts and knows it all, while Satan can merely "guess the thoughts" in a lot of case.

However in some cases he actively "inserts thoughts" so then in that case he is very familiar with the thought in the human's mind because he just put it there.

I do not have an absolute answer to your question but I can say that satan is not omnipresent like God and while satan has helpers I doubt they can pay attention to everything that everyone does

Well since no one knows how many fallen angels Satan has - we cannot count on them "not watching". Also it may not be a important for them to "watch the lost" as to "watch the saved".

In Matt 7 the lost are "the many" and the saved are "the few".

• Agree
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So by writing things down, especially our plans, do you think this gives him more opportunities to disrupt our path to God? ... But I wonder about body language and how much we give away. I suspect quite a lot.

I don't think I need to act like Satan has a 24-7 cam on me; I doubt my "plans" are a surprise and he would learn much if I journaled something by looking over my shoulder at what I was journaling.

I tend to think of myself more as a Congress, perhaps with representatives of of 2-3 major parties, and the party holding majority seating being able to pass bills and laws, sometimes with assistance of the other 2. Eliminate the Satanic representation in my own personal congress and things will go better, is my thought.

(Lord, the Filibusters are PAINFUL to listen to lol!)

Otherwise, it won't matter if Satan knows my plans, because my plans would be his plans and not God's plans.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And habit patterns.
He/his minions also know how we react to certain things, setting up the cue ball effect to cause us distress or harm.
That's for sure. Perhaps one of our biggest errors of believers is not to be constantly aware of Satan's abilities and be proactive ourselves removing ourselves from temptation as soon as possible, not as late as possible, where we often slide down the rabbit hole. I don't know if the Bible ever tells us to fear or respect Satan but its probably a very good idea. Fear of Satan being different from the reverential fear we have for the Lord of course. Fear of Satan would be more of an Earthly fear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
That's for sure. Perhaps one of our biggest errors of believers is not to be constantly aware of Satan's abilities and be proactive ourselves removing ourselves from temptation as soon as possible, not as late as possible, where we often slide down the rabbit hole. I don't know if the Bible ever tells us to fear or respect Satan but its probably a very good idea. Fear of Satan being different from the reverential fear we have for the Lord of course. Fear of Satan would be more of a Earthly fear.

There are many things we can learn from scripture about Satan ….starting in Gen 3:1

The devil’s methods haven’t changed …. his motives are clear in John Jhn 10:10
and he will continually work through man to deceive Christians from the truth (Eph 4:14, 1Ti 4:1&2)

We are not to be ignorant of his devices 2Co 2:11

One of the biggest challenges is realizing…. what is taking place today is a spiritual battle …and we can’t approach those things with a fleshly mind set. I used to say “The secrecy of his success is the subtilty of his moves” that is not necessarily true anymore …he is getting more blatant …..BUT we have the power and authority to meet him head on and come out victorious with the power that we possess as born again Christians.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟322,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
He’s super-intelligent, super-perceptive, and…so what? People, as well, can often “read” us quite well and attempt to manipulate us with that. But we don’t need to worry so much; we need to do as the apostles were instructed in Matt 10:16, to “be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves”. To simply walk upright, doing the right thing, aware of the devils snares but unaffected by and unafraid of all his nonsense.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ligurian

Cro-Magnon
Apr 21, 2021
America
✟22,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
When we talk or write he can obviously know what we are communicating. So by writing things down, especially our plans, do you think this gives him more opportunities to disrupt our path to God? To drive a wedge into our lives separating us from who we seek? I've never heard of any Christians talking about this yet we are told repeatedly he is Prince of this world, at least for a while, so why wouldn't he use everything at his disposal to draw us into Hell with him?

Seems like his power has already been limited.

Matthew 4:8-9 Again, the devil taketh Him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth Him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;[9] And saith unto Him, All these things will I give Thee, if Thou wilt fall down and worship me.

Matthew 28:16-20 Then The Eleven Disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Iesus had appointed them.[17] And when they saw Him, they worshipped Him, but some doubted.[18] And Iesus came and spake unto them, saying, All authority is given unto Me in Heaven and in Earth.

Revelation 11:14 The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly. ...Revelation 12:9-10 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the Earth, and his angels were cast out with him. ...[12] Therefore rejoice, ye Heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the Earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Revelation 17:12-17 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. ...[16] And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the harlot, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.[17] For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil His will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are many things we can learn from scripture about Satan ….starting in Gen 3:1

The devil’s methods haven’t changed …. his motives are clear in John Jhn 10:10
and he will continually work through man to deceive Christians from the truth (Eph 4:14, 1Ti 4:1&2)

We are not to be ignorant of his devices 2Co 2:11

One of the biggest challenges is realizing…. what is taking place today is a spiritual battle …and we can’t approach those things with a fleshly mind set. I used to say “The secrecy of his success is the subtilty of his moves” that is not necessarily true anymore …he is getting more blatant …..BUT we have the power and authority to meet him head on and come out victorious with the power that we possess as born again Christians.

Yes I think most of us know the basics.
That's exactly why I posted this question. Because very few people delve into Satan's perceptual abilities. Its really not discussed much in the Bible, its more from inference. So perhaps we should assume he perceives everything we do, say and write. Basically he knows most everything about us except our thoughts but even our thoughts can betray us through our body language and actions. Now I'm not saying we should consume ourselves about Satan, far from it. But he is the enemy really, not so much our Earthly problems and worries.
We have basically one problem in life: The devil.
The Bible pretty much reminds us of this from cover to cover. Yet very few Christians approach life from that perspective. They view their life has having myriads of problems without really addressing their source. When we do I think it gets much easier solving those problems because then our enemy is simple and our walking with the Lord guides us in addressing those problems. Then our burden while initially seeming heavy, becomes light. Forgive the blatant plagiarization. I heard the Author rarely minds.....

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seems like his power has already been limited.

Matthew 4:8-9 Again, the devil taketh Him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth Him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;[9] And saith unto Him, All these things will I give Thee, if Thou wilt fall down and worship me.

Matthew 28:16-20 Then The Eleven Disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Iesus had appointed them.[17] And when they saw Him, they worshipped Him, but some doubted.[18] And Iesus came and spake unto them, saying, All authority is given unto Me in Heaven and in Earth.

Revelation 11:14 The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly. ...Revelation 12:9-10 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the Earth, and his angels were cast out with him. ...[12] Therefore rejoice, ye Heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the Earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

Revelation 17:12-17 And the ten horns which thou sawest are ten kings, which have received no kingdom as yet; but receive power as kings one hour with the beast. ...[16] And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the harlot, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.[17] For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil His will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

Definitely Satan's power is vastly reduced the more we are close to the Lord. No question. But this discussion is about Satan's ability to perceive our actions.

For instance, if we write down our plans for the day does that give him more ability to foul things up? You would think so as the more info he has the more he has to work with. How many times have we told others about our plans only to see them fizzle? Yet when we do things without telling anyone they often blossom. Yet we want to share our ideas with others. I wonder if God wants us to internalize our ideas a lot more, especially initially as they are like a seed growing. An idea may seem wonderful at first because we haven't visualized the full picture and the ramifications of it. Only later after we have thought about it a great deal over time do we have more depth in this subject. Also when we tell others they often don't understand the concepts like we do because they may be very unfamiliar with the general concept we are exploring, so they may ridicule and mock our proposals. This hugely discourages us which is terrible. Like the sower and the seed getting scorched by the blazing sun because it wasn't planted in an environment where it could thrive and grow.

We all have great ideas, both for ourselves and others. We need to take great care we protect them until they have taken root. Distractions in life (like screens everywhere) are a huge problem as they are constantly peppering us with incessant notifications all day. Its so important to step away and really revel in your own ideas. Our world has changed dramatically where people can go ours without really having any of their own thoughts, they're just processing media from others. This is very dangerous as it allows a shaping of the viewer that never occurred in the past. And you know who is very busy shaping our attitudes, morals and thoughts.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He’s super-intelligent, super-perceptive, and…so what? People, as well, can often “read” us quite well and attempt to manipulate us with that. But we don’t need to worry so much; we need to do as the apostles were instructed in Matt 10:16, to “be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves”. To simply walk upright, doing the right thing, aware of the devils snares but unaffected by and unafraid of all his nonsense.
True but I think its a lot deeper than that.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
> I think the closer we are to God, the closer we are to the bright light of God and the devil can't see what's happening clearly when staring into a bright light. Like a car putting their high beams right in your eyes. You can't see the driver or even what kind of car it is or anything in that bright light. So we need to get close enough to God to let the bright light of God blind the devil to what we are doing.

This was GOLD! I think we've all experienced that comforting and peaceful glow when we're nearer the Lord. You write a superb analogy. It would make one terrific bumper sticker to uplift those stuck in bumper to bumper traffic if it could be shortened to fit on a bumper!

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Definitely Satan's power is vastly reduced the more we are close to the Lord. No question. But this discussion is about Satan's ability to perceive our actions.

For instance, if we write down our plans for the day does that give him more ability to foul things up? You would think so as the more info he has the more he has to work with. How many times have we told others about our plans only to see them fizzle? Yet when we do things without telling anyone they often blossom. Yet we want to share our ideas with others. I wonder if God wants us to internalize our ideas a lot more, especially initially as they are like a seed growing. An idea may seem wonderful at first because we haven't visualized the full picture and the ramifications of it. Only later after we have thought about it a great deal over time do we have more depth in this subject. Also when we tell others they often don't understand the concepts like we do because they may be very unfamiliar with the general concept we are exploring, so they may ridicule and mock our proposals. This hugely discourages us which is terrible. Like the sower and the seed getting scorched by the blazing sun because it wasn't planted in an environment where it could thrive and grow.

We all have great ideas, both for ourselves and others. We need to take great care we protect them until they have taken root. Distractions in life (like screens everywhere) are a huge problem as they are constantly peppering us with incessant notifications all day. Its so important to step away and really revel in your own ideas. Our world has changed dramatically where people can go ours without really having any of their own thoughts, they're just processing media from others. This is very dangerous as it allows a shaping of the viewer that never occurred in the past. And you know who is very busy shaping our attitudes, morals and thoughts.

Wow, you really nailed it! I also noticed that when I tell people things, it seems to get messed up somehow but the things I don't vocalize seem to go right on along smoothly! I never thought about WHY that happens! I just noticed the pattern. Sometimes I have deliberately said I won't tell anyone certain things till it's over and it goes smoothly. But when I tell it ahead of plan it doesn't work out and I end up feeling silly or embarrassed. Interesting! :idea:

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
> I think the closer we are to God, the closer we are to the bright light of God and the devil can't see what's happening clearly when staring into a bright light. Like a car putting their high beams right in your eyes. You can't see the driver or even what kind of car it is or anything in that bright light. So we need to get close enough to God to let the bright light of God blind the devil to what we are doing.

This was GOLD! I think we've all experienced that comforting and peaceful glow when we're nearer the Lord. You write a superb analogy. It would make one terrific bumper sticker to uplift those stuck in bumper to bumper traffic if it could be shortened to fit on a bumper!

Thanks! Praise God! :amen:

Upvote 0

Hawkins

Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2005
Canada
✟237,544.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The effect is more subconscious and is reflected more at the societal or cultural level. Its power on individual attacks is rather limited.

My mother, when she was a teenager, ever played a kind of board game through psychic media (who was actually her teacher). My mom was asked to ask a question by heart and to keep focusing on that question. Then the board game started. It was a disc on top of a board full of different characters. They both put a finger onto the disc and the disc started moving on its own till it stopped with the arrow on the disc pointing at a character. it then went to another character and so on, till a sentence was formed.

The sentence did precisely answer my mom's question. Without knowing the exact question and how it was answered, the psychic media who's my mom's teacher said that "don't listen to whatever advice is given by the game, as it is the devil who is behind the scene and usually the devil gives opposite advice as he's the devil."

I believe that this reflects the maximum capability of the devil who can make a good guess about what you are thinking. However, please also notice that this is done through psychic media which signifies that you have a strong will to invite the devil to do so. The devil is not allowed to make a direct attack on you at will.

Generally speaking, fallen angels and evil spirits are not allowed to launch direct attacks on individuals unless such a kind of sin is triggered by humans, as humans are allowed to sin freely (in a sense) on earth, while fallen angels and evil spirits are prisoners in Hades.

They can have subconscious attacks though, the effect is usually at the cultural and societal level. That's how people support homosexuality, false religions, and so on. If on the other hand, something happened to an individual such as possessions, usually it involves a kind of "invitation" or ritual procedure including your decision on playing the different kinds of demon board games.

That said. Subconscious attacks are more often in the form of temptations, include keeping you bothered by some bad habits which are difficult to quit. You may lose your confidence or even faith through this. So this is more like a trap. In this case, you need to improve your faith instead of dealing with the bad habits by yourself. Only when you can get closer to God (by keeping improving your faith) that you can keep a distance from the devil, subsequently quitting those bad habits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟471,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think I need to act like Satan has a 24-7 cam on me; I doubt my "plans" are a surprise and he would learn much if I journaled something by looking over my shoulder at what I was journaling.

I tend to think of myself more as a Congress, perhaps with representatives of of 2-3 major parties, and the party holding majority seating being able to pass bills and laws, sometimes with assistance of the other 2. Eliminate the Satanic representation in my own personal congress and things will go better, is my thought.

(Lord, the Filibusters are PAINFUL to listen to lol!)

Otherwise, it won't matter if Satan knows my plans, because my plans would be his plans and not God's plans.

I recall reading in the Patristic writings (the Sayings of the Desert Fathers, certain Athonite monks, St. Ignatius Brianchaninov) that because they can travel instantaneously, and are subtle pneumatic beings, demons have great knowledge and will try to con people into thinking they have knowledge of future events, but in fact they do not, and thus people are deceived into making very bad decisions by an apparently friendly neighborhood demon.

Only God, who is limited neither in love or knowledge, knows the future.

Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0