Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up in the Methodist church, but switched to Baptist when I was 18. I have experienced in the last ten years some church hurt experiences that have made me question if I am truly Baptist or best fit in the Baptist faith. I don't really believe that all that is required to be saved is the "sinner's prayer". In fact, I don't see that in the Bible at all. I believe salvation is an act of God as it says in Colossians 1:13-14. It is through Him we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
I don't believe in infant baptism or speaking in tongues.
I want to be a part of a church that responds to social needs such as food, clothing, other needs
I want to be a part of a church where there is strong Bible teaching

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Howdy,

The sinner's prayer is certainly prevalent amongst evangelical denominations, but it isn't uniquely Baptist or, I'd say, even that common amongst Baptist churches.

It may be that you are Baptist at heart and theologically, but your current church is not fulfilling the role you expect of it, which is totally understandable and fine.

Churches within a denomination aren't like a Starbucks; we can't go in a Baptist church in New York City and a Baptist church in San Francisco and expect the same 'product' as it were.

Have you checked out other Baptist churches in your area?

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with High Fidelity: I recommend that you start your search by exploring some other Baptist churches in your area. You can often tell by a church's web site whether they place an emphasis on caring for the poor and other social ministries, by looking at what upcoming events they announce or what organizations they cooperate with.

As you're probably aware, there are many kinds of Baptists in the US (Southern Baptist, Conservative Baptist, American Baptist, and so on). I recommend that you include multiple kinds of Baptist churches in your search.

Blessings to you in your search.

Upvote 0

AnnaDeborah

Aug 5, 2018
private
✟30,123.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Don't look at the labels, just look at the church! I used to be a member of a Methodist Church because where I used to live, the Methodist Church had solid Bible teaching and was reaching out into the community. Now I've moved and am a member of a Baptist Church for the same reasons! Churches vary widely within denominations. If you are determined to stay Baptist, then try other Baptist churches. Otherwise, just try different churches and ignore the labels. Labels don't really matter, it's what's 'inside the tin' that counts!

Reactions: akaDaScribe
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
  • Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I grew up in the Methodist church, but switched to Baptist when I was 18. I have experienced in the last ten years some church hurt experiences that have made me question if I am truly Baptist or best fit in the Baptist faith. I don't really believe that all that is required to be saved is the "sinner's prayer". In fact, I don't see that in the Bible at all. I believe salvation is an act of God as it says in Colossians 1:13-14. It is through Him we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
I want to be a part of a church that responds to social needs such as food, clothing, other needs

Probably to some extent all independent thinkers are a denomination of one. There is probably nobody else exactly like you theologically/spiritually/socially in every single detail.

I have lived a long life now, and I spent much of it looking for that 'perfect church'. And I finally came to the conclusion that it doesn't exist. We are very likely at different times are going to be disappointed if not hurt to some degree in every single one. Just as we are in our families, among our friends, in the work place, etc. Any institution managed by imperfect humans which we all are is going to be an imperfect institution to some degree. Even the Church.

My counsel is to find a congregation that does not offend you theologically or spiritually but that feels right and in which you develop a strong sense of community. For it is in that community that ultimately is why we have church congregations in the first place. It is much easier to live the Christian life among Christians who love and encourage you than it is to separate yourself from them.

And if you can't agree with everything about that community, unless it is evil, that's where Jesus's admonition to judge not and forgive comes in. They won't do everything as you think it should be but if they mostly get it right, that's about as good as you are going to find. It is ultimately your relationship with Jesus that is most important to you spiritually and not that you agree with everything in the community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Follow God's Word instead. Strive to have fellowship like the way they did it in the early church (Which is in each others homes). God never told us to gather in a highly expensive building called a "church" (When the believer is actually the church). Most men today will disappoint you, as well. Always make the Lord Jesus your example. He will never disappoint you. Jesus and following His ways is where you belong. Sometimes that may mean it is a loney road and other times it may not be. Faith in service to Jesus is not always about meeting our needs but it is about letting go of this world and in loving God and in loving others (in the way God desires us to do so). My church experience has been repeately disappointing. That's because it was not a part of God's order of fellowship as described in the Bible. It's not that they cannot do good for the Lord in churches, it just God never asked believers and unbelievers to worship Him together. God never asked His disciples to spend a ton of money on an expensive education and try and keep an expensive large building going.

My suggestion is to get into God's Word and study it more on your own every day. Pray to the Lord. Help the poor. Love your enemies. Teach only what is truly written in God's Word and not what other men say about God's Word. God can teach you His Word. For it is by the Spirit that we can have understanding and not in the cleverness of men's speeches.

Seek the Lord with everything you got. Love Him with everything you got.
Love others who are suffering. For the more we take the focus off of ourselves and love others, the more we will be fulfilling God's purpose for our lives and the happier we will be.

I hope this helps;
And may God bless you this fine day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Seventh Day Adventist are good about helping people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Howdy,

The sinner's prayer is certainly prevalent amongst evangelical denominations, but it isn't uniquely Baptist or, I'd say, even that common amongst Baptist churches.

It may be that you are Baptist at heart and theologically, but your current church is not fulfilling the role you expect of it, which is totally understandable and fine.

Churches within a denomination aren't like a Starbucks; we can't go in a Baptist church in New York City and a Baptist church in San Francisco and expect the same 'product' as it were.

Have you checked out other Baptist churches in your area?

Yes, I have been to many of them. Most of them are Southern Baptist, which is what I have been a part of most of my life, but no longer feel a part of

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't think you'll find a perfect church, and the teaching in your local church might not be the same as your denomination as a whole.

I'd like to defend infant baptism, if you'd open your mind for a moment. There are those who believe that you must be baptized to be saved, so they get their infants baptized at the earliest possible moment. You can't really blame them, can you?

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think you'll find a perfect church, and the teaching in your local church might not be the same as your denomination as a whole.

I'd like to defend infant baptism, if you'd open your mind for a moment. There are those who believe that you must be baptized to be saved, so they get their infants baptized at the earliest possible moment. You can't really blame them, can you?

Sure I can. I can believe I need to drive a red fire engine before I'm saved also, but that doesn't make it so. It doesn't really matter what I believe. It matters what is in the Bible and infant baptism isn't.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Sure I can. I can believe I need to drive a red fire engine before I'm saved also, but that doesn't make it so. It doesn't really matter what I believe. It matters what is in the Bible and infant baptism isn't.
I think there is scripture that supports their belief.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think there is scripture that supports their belief.

Yet, when parents brought their children to Jesus he blessed the children and gave them back to the parents. But, he didn't instruct the parents to baptize their kids at all. If it was important that would have been a great time to say something, but it isn't there

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Yet, when parents brought their children to Jesus he blessed the children and gave them back to the parents. But, he didn't instruct the parents to baptize their kids at all. If it was important that would have been a great time to say something, but it isn't there
Does the Bible say that he didn't tell the parents to baptize their kids, or that they weren't already baptized?

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does the Bible say that he didn't tell the parents to baptize their kids, or that they weren't already baptized?
It doesn't mention it at all, which would be a good place for it if it was a major doctrine. That was my point.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As several people have suggested don't look at the name on the label, look at what they say and do.

Try the christianityexplored web site for churches in your area. It is one way of checking for evangelical churches, then visit and see how they put it into practise.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
It doesn't mention it at all, which would be a good place for it if it was a major doctrine. That was my point.
But I don't see why you are so eager to judge.

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But I don't see why you are so eager to judge.
You were the one who said you wanted to talk about it in post #12.
I brought it up in my opening post so that people could give me suggetions about an appropriate church that would reflect my views.

Upvote 0