US
✟7,758.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I haven't thought much about God much the past couple of years and considered myself athiest. I had an experience the other day that brought me back to God. I came across a bible in my hotel room and it got me thinking about religion again. I started questioning God and I asked that if He was real that He prove it to me and give me a sign. Soon after I felt alot of emotion come over me and I had the urge to kneel. I prayed and asked Him to forgive me. It was unlike unlike anything I've ever felt before. I think that it must have been God giving me a sign that He's still there and I shouldn't doubt Him. I want to build a relationship with God. I want the comfort of knowing that He's watching over me and guiding me in my life. I've had an emptiness in my life for a long time now and I think I need God. I just have a hard time buying all of it. I don't understand why faith is so important. I can't understand why He gave us brains if we can't question Him. Fossils point to evolution rather than creation. Carbon dating shows the earth is much older than the bible says. If He's good then why did he make us the way we are? So many people do evil things to each other. Particularly I cant understand why children suffer. They are truly innocent. Why design us in a way that we are capaple of harming young children? I have a hard time seeing the bible as more than a roughly translated book from thousands of years ago and not a very trustworthy source. How can you continue to believe the bible and what has you convinced that God is good? Getting into heaven or banished to hell based on faith rather than deeds seems unjust to me. Why should good people who simply don't believe be made to suffer eternally while a person who tortures babies could get into heaven just by believing. I guess the logical part of me is at odds with my spiritual side and I'm trying to figure it all out. I hope you can understand where my doubt is coming from and I wanted to see if some of you might have personal experiences or knowledge of the bible that could help me to make sense of it all.

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Great story, and points. I've replied to some of your points/questions below:

I just have a hard time buying all of it.
Understandable. But you do buy that your experience was a sign of God's existence, is that correct?
I don't understand why faith is so important.
By faith we can be justified. Those who have faith, live by it. That's how God likes it. Without faith it is impossible to please God, but with faith it is. I'm not sure how to make this easy to understand.
I can't understand why He gave us brains if we can't question Him.
We can question Him. God commands us to prove all things.
Fossils point to evolution rather than creation. Carbon dating shows the earth is much older than the bible says.
I have a different view on evolution now. God has eradicated it. But I felt the same a the time of my conversion. I remember having asked God for the Holy Spirit, and being like, huh, Adam and Eve must have really existed...!
If He's good then why did he make us the way we are? So many people do evil things to each other. Particularly I cant understand why children suffer. They are truly innocent. Why design us in a way that we are capaple of harming young children?
Because of freedom perhaps..? I don't know why so much suffering is allowed to happen. Personally I haven't suffered as much as some people, but to some people, God might have some explaining to do. Will Jesus apologize to some people for what they were put through by others, for example? Personally I think He might.
I have a hard time seeing the bible as more than a roughly translated book from thousands of years ago and not a very trustworthy source.
Faith in the Bible can be great. But it has to be built on a solid foundation. Proof. Aside from its intrinsic power of attraction that it can have, like you described you had in your hotel room.

You can find evidence if you look for it.
How can you continue to believe the bible and what has you convinced that God is good?
For me personally it is having the Holy Ghost which for me confirmed the Gospel and the existence of Jesus and God and the theology of the Bible. I asked and I received.
Getting into heaven or banished to hell based on faith rather than deeds seems unjust to me.
The thing is this: God wants everybody to have eternal life, but it is conditional. We in turn have to be perfect. To have faith (and the Holy Spirit) is to perfected in the eyes of God.
Why should good people who simply don't believe be made to suffer eternally while a person who tortures babies could get into heaven just by believing.
I think I can not post my belief about hell here because my view is considered (qualified as) controversial on this forum. But let's just say I am more optimistic than most on that subject.

(You could click on my name and posting history (content) to see what I mean.)
I guess the logical part of me is at odds with my spiritual side and I'm trying to figure it all out. I hope you can understand where my doubt is coming from and I wanted to see if some of you might have personal experiences or knowledge of the bible that could help me to make sense of it all.
You can figure it out but it does take effort.

Like you have experienced God can reveal Himself to people. He can lead you out of the darkness as well (the darkness of worldly knowledge). Seek, and you shall find.

I hope this helps. Any questions I'll gladly answer.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why should good people who simply don't believe be made to suffer eternally while a person who tortures babies could get into heaven just by believing. I

Welcome to the forum, that is an amazing account of meeting God.
May I suggest that you check out the Christianity explored web site for a church in your area that runs this course and get in touch with them.
The course enables people to learn about Christianity and to debate it and ask questions, as well as get to know local Christians in a friendly, neutral place without any commitment to attend church.

Ok ' good people ' it all depends on your concept of what ' good' is.
If it is being ' nice ' then what you have questioned is valid, but if ' good ' is a lot more than that or based on a different standard than your question isn't valid.

You questioned the reliability of the Bible. Have you facts to back up your questioning.
There is considerable evidence that says the Bible is accurate, one example.
Archeologists digging up the middle East have looked at what Luke write and have discovered that he is always accurate. If he mentions the name and titles of a towns authorities that is found to be correct and this is always the case with Luke.

So back to the question of what is good? Jesus stressed that to impress God our moral goodness would have to exceed the moral goodness of the very straight laced religious leaders of his day.

To be honest no one lives up to their own ideas of morality, never mind living up to a far higher and stricter moral code based on the ten commandments. One simple example.
How many people do you know who say, " oh God, Jesus, Christ! Etc etc " that's the second commandment broken.

Getting into heaven for ' just' believing! If God is prepared to forgive those who have committed vile crimes because they are truly sorry, that should reasure you and I that our repeated sins will also be forgiven.

Hope this helps, please get in touch with a church in your area.

• Friendly
Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF.

This isn't the place to ask questions but to give a short intro. Since you will probably be asked to take the questions to
Exploring Christianity
Struggles by Non-Christians
I will wait to answer more until it shows up there.

When people say fossils point to evolution they only do so only because people believe the story woven around it. I see a fossil and don't think evolution, I think something was buried quickly and died. No one has ever seen evolution take place.
The Bible says that the world was made outside of time.
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
Time was not yet created.

Upvote 0

BibleBeliever1611

May 3, 2020
Vantaa
✟80,648.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why should good people who simply don't believe be made to suffer eternally while a person who tortures babies could get into heaven just by believing.

Here is a great sermon about this subject:

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the CF. Thank you for relaying your experience. Yes, God is still there and you should not doubt him. Please post your questions and comments in the Outreach section or other sections that are open to non-Christians. Introduce Yourself forum is only brief introductions. God bless you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Carson,
welcome to CF.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

hello-wave-smiley-emoticon.gif

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

Upvote 0

Anij34

Jun 19, 2019
Michigan
✟8,627.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the group and here's a virtual hug. So many questions...I'll only address a couple of them here....How can I know that God is good? Look at the amazing creation he gifted to us? Look at the infinite detail in every single cell, season, life cycle and life that takes breath. However, that gift was tainted when sin entered into this world. We were also gifted with choice. We are able to choose to obey, to be kind, to preserve life and all decisions we are faced with are all OUR doing. God lets US choose.

You, at one point, had chosen atheism vs. God, however, God didn't make/tell you to do that, right? Same with all decisions in this world. We, as humans born in sin, are free to make decisions that either add to or take away from others. However, even in the worst moments God can use horrible things that happen to us and use them to his glory.

I was raped as a child by someone that should have been my protector. It messed me up for years. I had no idea until I was an adult how insidious the influence on my life was. I could have blamed God for all the horrible things that happened to me thereafter, however, I chose forgiveness and used that to help others that have been abused. I turned a grievous situation into a blessing. It no longer controls me.

*THAT* is how I know God is good. Its not him preventing all horrors from happening because of the choices of others. It is him being there next to me, being my shoulder to cry on as I work through the trauma and watching my new self bloom and blossom as I plant myself in his word. His solid word. All will glorify him in the end, even horrible situations that satan meant to tear me down.

I am so glad you have connected with us here. We are so grateful to have you here with us!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hello Carson and welcome to CF. I hope you will enjoy your time here.
Many of us here have gone through periods of faith and doubt. So you are in the best place to chat and share with others about your experience.

• Agree
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Hello Carson and welcome to CF. I hope you will enjoy your time here.
Many of us here have gone through periods of faith and doubt. So you are in the best place to chat and share with others about your experience.

I echo everything that he said. :)

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I haven't thought much about God much the past couple of years and considered myself athiest. I had an experience the other day that brought me back to God. I came across a bible in my hotel room and it got me thinking about religion again. I started questioning God and I asked that if He was real that He prove it to me and give me a sign. Soon after I felt alot of emotion come over me and I had the urge to kneel. I prayed and asked Him to forgive me. It was unlike unlike anything I've ever felt before. I think that it must have been God giving me a sign that He's still there and I shouldn't doubt Him. I want to build a relationship with God. I want the comfort of knowing that He's watching over me and guiding me in my life. I've had an emptiness in my life for a long time now and I think I need God. I just have a hard time buying all of it. I don't understand why faith is so important. I can't understand why He gave us brains if we can't question Him. Fossils point to evolution rather than creation. Carbon dating shows the earth is much older than the bible says. If He's good then why did he make us the way we are? So many people do evil things to each other. Particularly I cant understand why children suffer. They are truly innocent. Why design us in a way that we are capaple of harming young children? I have a hard time seeing the bible as more than a roughly translated book from thousands of years ago and not a very trustworthy source. How can you continue to believe the bible and what has you convinced that God is good? Getting into heaven or banished to hell based on faith rather than deeds seems unjust to me. Why should good people who simply don't believe be made to suffer eternally while a person who tortures babies could get into heaven just by believing. I guess the logical part of me is at odds with my spiritual side and I'm trying to figure it all out. I hope you can understand where my doubt is coming from and I wanted to see if some of you might have personal experiences or knowledge of the bible that could help me to make sense of it all.

Hello Carson;
welcome to CF; May the Lord Jesus guide you here as well as in the world; and may you find friends and what ever you need from the Lord here.

I do have a question for you; do you like music--Praise & Worship music?

I have found; in times of trouble; like we have with this CV-19; that listening to; and singing along to good Christian P&W music; can bring us closer to Jesus and His wonderful peace.

Well we have a new forum here at CF just for P&W music and at the top is a directory of other Christian music threads around CF; come and take a look!:wave:

Praise and Worship Music

images

To The

238348_da04309d434d67254a1115a692df42c4.jpeg

Upvote 0