Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK,i believe heaven exists. but i heard a prophet say recently that only 2% christians go to heaven. so why did Jesus bother dying for so small a number? i mean, i guess it is nice for THEM that He did but what about the rest of us?
Where do the other 98% go?
What is the distinction between the 2% and the 98%?

These are those who belong to Jesus and are called Gods children.
children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

I think you didn't hear from a true prophet.

For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
OK,i believe heaven exists. but i heard a prophet say recently that only 2% christians go to heaven. so why did Jesus bother dying for so small a number? i mean, i guess it is nice for THEM that He did but what about the rest of us?

Hello.

100% of Christians go to heaven. Jesus said that no-one could snatch his sheep out of the Father's hand.

There are a number of persons around Christian circles and churches who have never responded to the gospel, or been saved.

Jesus did talk about a small gate and narrow path to life and only a few would find it (Matthew 7:14). But that gate is open. Whosoever wants salvation can come to Jesus, believe and be saved. That gate stands open. That only a few accept God's gift, it's their choice, their fault. The Lord is not willing that any perish but that all will come to salvation. Those who choose to reject the Son, their doom is their own fault.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,340.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are we talking about a "prophet" as in a minister in the Charismatic movement that believes he is called to that kind of ministry? If so, I got to tell you that the batting average on modern prophets has been very low..

In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe (Hebrews 1:1-2). :)

Reactions: Pavel Mosko
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Matthew 24:11
And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray.

There is nothing about any percentages, defined numbers etc. in the Bible ... there will be multitudes that no one can count.

Revelation 7

9After this I looked and saw a multitude too large to count, from every nation and tribe and people and tongue, standing before the throne and before the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. 10And they cried out in a loud voice:

“Salvation to our God,

who sits on the throne,

and to the Lamb!”11And all the angels stood around the throne and around the elders and the four living creatures. And they fell facedown before the throne and worshiped God, 12saying, “Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanks and honor and power and strength be to our God forever and ever! Amen.”

Dismiss this teaching from this person ... and so called "prophet"

• Agree
Reactions: Andre_b
Upvote 0

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You heard a "prophet" who says they represent God? Should you take their word for it?

I used to believe that Herbert W. Armstrong was a capital "A" apostle send by God rather than some superficial title given to men by other men. Every pastor in that church used the scriptures to reinforce that belief. It was very VERY convincing.

I would advise you to RUN!!!!! as far away from this prophet as possible. Let God worry about how many people He will save and when this "prophet" you're referring to appears before Him. They just might get this answer: Matthew 7:21-23

• Agree
Upvote 0

Andre_b

May 6, 2020
Ottawa
✟26,357.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Luke 15:3 So He told them this parable, saying, 4 “What man among you, if he has a hundred sheep and has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open pasture and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? 5 When he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ 7 I tell you that in the same way, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

God loves everyone and will fight for the one remaining lost sheep. I'm also not sure where that "prophet" say that only 2% of Christians go to heaven. He might be a false prophet. Why do you accept this "2%" as truth?

Upvote 0

Redwingfan9

Jul 23, 2019
Midwest
✟70,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Prophet? There are no prophets anymore. I suggest you stick to scripture.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
None of us know how many will make it to Heaven. It may be 2% or maybe 20% or more, but we simply do not know. All the more reason to live each day as if it were our last, for for some of us, it could be.

• Agree
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
it was a prophet. she involved in the holiness church. she warned me i need ot take off my make up and hiugh heels to be accepted

Correction: false prophet.

Don't believe false prophets. Believe the Gospel.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Self proclaimed prophets, spiritual experts, apostles, etc are a dime a dozen. In the two decades that I've been on online religious discussion forums wanna take a guess at how many I've encountered? I couldn't even give you an answer because it's simply way more than I can count.

I once met a guy who claimed that you have to be baptized in salt water on the beaches of Hawaii in order to be saved. One person claimed the new Jerusalem will be on Mars. I've met at least a dozen people who claim they are Jesus. The world has ended at least thirty times already in the just the last ten years. Obama was the Antichrist and won a third term in 2016. One "prophet" claimed to know the real code of the Bible saying that Jesus and the Son of Man are two different people, and that the Son of Man referred to a future, second messiah rather than Jesus (and guess who just happened to be that second messiah, yep, the guy making that claim).

If someone claims they are a prophet, reject it.
If someone tells you they are an apostle, reject it.
If someone claims God revealed something to them, do not believe it.

There will be many so-called prophets, apostles, sages, seers, whatevers. So many saying so many different things. False teachers promoting the doctrines of demons, trying to seduce the Faithful away from the Gospel.

Ignore all of it. Don't have anything to do with any of that.

Look to Christ, trust in Christ, believe in Christ.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What prophet is this? Jesus Christ was the last prophet.

Jesus Christ died for the world: John 3:16-17 Many are given the invitation of Salvation as a free gift. What He has and teaches is far better than anything the world can offer.

If you read Revelation, there will be a multitude in heaven: Revelation 7:9
I dunno where this 2% is coming from.

Stay in God's Word and allow His Spirit to teach you. :yellowheart:

• Agree
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
What prophet is this? Jesus Christ was the last prophet.

Jesus Christ died for the world: John 3:16-17 Many are given the invitation of Salvation as a free gift. What He has and teaches is far better than anything the world can offer.

If you read Revelation, there will be a multitude in heaven: Revelation 7:9
I dunno where this 2% is coming from.

Stay in God's Word and allow His Spirit to teach you. :yellowheart:
There are going to be at least two more prophets as shown in Revelation 11, and then there are those outside of these two who have the gift of prophecy(1 Cor 12:10; Acts 21:9; Acts 13:1). What a prophet speaks though must comes to pass, and it must be in complete agreement with scripture otherwise the prophet is false.

Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are going to be at least two more prophets as shown in Revelation 11, and then there are those outside of these two who have the gift of prophecy(1 Cor 12:10; Acts 21:9; Acts 13:1). What a prophet speaks though must comes to pass, and it must be in complete agreement with scripture otherwise the prophet is false.

true. this woman and others in her denomination are not those ones though. when that time of the end times comes to pass, we will know who they are though. not yet.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

also it is better to believe thigns that give us hope and peace and joy than things that cause us fear and condemnation. i think the devil brings condemnation, doubt, fear etc

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Junia

May 17, 2020
Bristol
✟31,159.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where do the other 98% go?
What is the distinction between the 2% and the 98%?

These are those who belong to Jesus and are called Gods children.
children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

I think you didn't hear from a true prophet.

For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

according to this prophet the 2% that go to heaven (are saved, in other words) are those whose righteousness exceeds that of the pharisees. also the women must not wear any adornment on themselves. or trousers.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
according to this prophet the 2% that go to heaven (are saved, in other words) are those whose righteousness exceeds that of the pharisees. also the women must not wear any adornment on themselves. or trousers.

Sounds like they want to be exactly as "righteous" as the hypocrites were. Wearing their phylacteries large, making a spectacle of themselves in prayer, white washed sepulchers full of dead bones.

That's what moralism does. It gives the appearance of religion without any substance.

Read Matthew 25, notice that when we stand before the Lord on the Day of Judgment He doesn't mention how we dressed, how we appeared, or how outwardly pious we made ourselves look. He says, "I was hungry" and "I was thirsty" and "I was naked" and "I was sick" and "I was in prison" and "I was a foreigner", then He says, "Whatever you did/did not do to the least of these you did/did not do it unto Me". When we read that we must stand and give account before God for our actions, what matters is how we treated other people, especially the "least of these".

We Lutherans call the human craving for glory and to be righteous by our own efforts and works the Opinio Legis, the "Opinion of the Law". This desire for glory is the arch-temptation, the chief heresy of man, it is the lie of the serpent that says, "You will be as gods".

One of my favorite quotes comes from Catholic theologian Fr. Herbert McCabe from his book God Still Matters, it's about the Incarnation:

"This is what John is talking about at the beginning of his Gospel when he calls Jesus the Word of God made flesh. Jesus is God's Word, God's idea of God, how God understands himself. He is how-God-understands-himself become a part of our human history, become human, become the first really thoroughly human part of our history--and therefore, of course, the one hated, despised, and destroyed by the rest of us, who wouldn't mind being divine but are very frightened of being human." - Fr. Herberb McCabe, God Still Matters, p.104

Oh how desperately men crave to be gods, to crave glory, to wish to be superior, wish to be on top, wish to be part of the special, the in-group. It is not enough that we belong, but that we rise to the top.

We, like John and James the sons of Zebedee come to the Master saying, "Let us sit on your right hand and your left hand in Your kingdom", but what does the Master say? "The greatest among you is your slave."

In God's world, in God's kingdom, success, power, glory, crowns, etc all are meaningless nothing.

Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew says that no one born of woman is greater than John the Baptist, but, He continues, "the least in the kingdom is greater than even he". What does Jesus mean? By this He points to Himself as the least. For the Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve. The Son of Man came, not in judgment, but to save the world. Christ came into the world to save sinners, and I am the chief of sinners.

And so we sinners, craven and cowardly and wretched as we are, we put on theater. "Do not touch!" we say, "Do not taste!" we declare. Don't wear this, don't watch that. With one side of the mouth comes some vacuous claim of "modesty" and out of the other they vomit hubris and arrogance. The one who says "Don't wear trousers" and "Don't wear makeup" stands there, smug, with logs blinding their eyes the size of redwood trees. They stand in the midst of the Church assured that what they are wearing is good, righteous, holy, pious--as though textiles adoring the body could ever mean anything whatsoever. They have become the very thing which the Apostle warns against in the first place, they have not adorned themselves with modesty or humility, they have simply taken the occasion to promote themselves through religion. Precisely the sin of the hypocrites Jesus rebuked.

It wasn't that people were praying in public that Jesus rebuked, it was that hypocrites want to be seen and heard, they crave glory. That's what Jesus rebuked.

It wasn't wearing earrings or makeup that the Apostle condemns, it's self-promotion that the Apostle condemns.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think the salvation (forgiveness of sins) is for all, but only few receive it and are born anew, become righteous. It is possible to forgive sins, but if person continues in sin, the forgiveness is not useful.

"Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."
John 8:11

Sin no more, so that nothing worse happens to you."
John 5:14

Bible tells eternal life is for righteous. Person can become righteous by receiving what Jesus said. His words can make change in persons heart so that he becomes righteous. Forgiveness is not useful, if that change doesn’t happen in person and unfortunately it may be that even less than 2 % want that to happen. But I believe that possibility is for all.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

But as many as received him, to them he gave the right to become God's children, to those who believe in his name: who were born not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.
John 1:12-13

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

At the time of the flood - the entire planet is toast.. only 8 people survive.

And you and I are the result of having those 8 survive.

Matthew 7 says "the MANY" perish and "the FEW" choose the narrow path.

2 Thess 2 says that in the end at the last day - it is those who have no love of the Truth that perish.

2 Thess 2
9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

going with the majority,,, drifting with the flow of popular opinion.. did not work in Noah's day.

• Friendly
Reactions: Junia
Upvote 0