Feb 22, 2011
✟1,769.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
The parable refers specifically to those believers who are lazy, cultural Christians or Christians who stray away from the faith either willfully or naively. It expresses the fact that we are to be vigilant, always doing the good work that Jesus commanded us to do, so when Christ returns (the master in the parable) we will not be sent to hell for our luke warm state. That is why Christ states that this lazy servant will be portioned with the unbelievers and receive many stripes. The many stripes being condemnation.

It does not in any way, shape or form, condone slavery.

Such a simple parable, yet your worldly knowledge has been found wanting.

Fair enough, thank you for clearing that up. I concede the point that it was a quote mine and not appropriate for the discussion. Now, will you be addressing the rest of the passages?

"The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, "These are the regulations for the Passover: No foreigner is to eat of it. Any slave you have bought may eat of it after you have circumcised him, but a temporary resident and a hired worker may not eat of it." (Exodus 12:43)

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way." (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment." (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ." (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

"Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them." (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
They're two separate qualifiers. Neither is 'becoming the other'.

You could call me an agnostic atheist anti-theist humanist, because all three qualifiers address separate issues.
I am not calling you nothing. I don't even know you
I am only taking note of how much more aggressive atheism as a movement is becoming. With Hitchens and Dawkins books as top-sellers, the hostility noted in this OP and by others in their workplace even, it is no longer about just lack of belief, but outright antagonism.

Historically, Christians and other believers too haven't done that well in states run by this kind of atheists.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Fair enough, thank you for clearing that up. I concede the point that it was a quote mine and not appropriate for the discussion. Now, will you be addressing the rest of the passages?

"The Lord said to Moses and Aaron, "These are the regulations for the Passover: No foreigner is to eat of it. Any slave you have bought may eat of it after you have circumcised him, but a temporary resident and a hired worker may not eat of it." (Exodus 12:43)

"However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way." (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

"When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment." (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ." (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

"Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them." (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)
You know how to quote scripture. You have no idea what ancient Hebrew society was like.
Simplistic and superficial readings of complicated literature are the order of the day in the new atheism. They are only effective as arguments in a society that is already pretty much biblically illiterate.

For males in Hebrew society for example, the system was one of indentured servitude as a means for paying off debts. There were always limits. For a girls, it was not like that at all, not really slavery or servitude at all, but a means of upward mobility where the girl was not brought into the richer family as a servant, but as a future bride to be.

Without the laws developed by the Jews, there would be no humanism.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
And Christianity itself was never about slaves rising against their masters. The proletariat overthrowing the oppressive ruling classes is Marxist, with its warped senseof humanism.

It was all about establishing personal relationships that relegate the very concept of master and slave into the dustbins of history.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rjc34

Feb 22, 2011
✟1,769.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
You know how to quote scripture. You have no idea what ancient Hebrew society was like.
Simplistic and superficial readings of complicated literature are the order of the day in the new atheism. They are only effective as arguments in a society that is already pretty much biblically illiterate.

As an ex-christian myself I have studied the scriptures as well as ready a darn lot of apologetics during my 'scared of losing my belief' phase.

For males in Hebrew society for example, the system was one of indentured servitude as a means for paying off debts. There were always limits. For a girls, it was not like that at all, not really slavery or servitude at all, but a means of upward mobility where the girl was not brought into the richer family as a servant, but as a future bride to be.

While yes, there were laws for males in Hebrew society to serve under another as repayment of a debt, these did not apply to those of foreign cultures. Full on slavery as most people know it was common war spoils.

Without the laws developed by the Jews, there would be no humanism.

I disagree. Humanism didn't evolve from an absolute moral law, but from the feeling of empathy we evolved coupled with the advent of civilized societies.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.