• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Not Shaving

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by Tomyris, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Tomyris

Tomyris IntergalacticCouchPotato in Search of PerfectCouch

+45
    Presbyterian
    Married
    So.....

I got into this discussion with someone and he said that women in our culture shave out of vanity and that historically that is not the case and there are plenty of places where women have plenty of hair on their legs and armpits so why do we shave?

I think it is because we need to meet the cultural expectation. A woman walking around with birds' nests under each arm can only be regarded as gross in our society. Some of the readers of this may be from societies where you do not shave. Anything. Ever. I would appreciate your feedback?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. FreeSpirit74

FreeSpirit74 Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior

+208
    Pagan
    Single
    US-Others
    I shave - pits, legs, "unmentionables" - because I feel gross if I don't. It's got nothing to do with what others may think, because I don't give a fuzzy rat's rear in that regard.

3. Cuddles333

Cuddles333 Well-Known Member

+154
    United States
    Christian
    Private
  4. Tomyris

+45
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I had no idea people were into this. Naive me.

5. Tomyris

+45
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Quite amusing word choice, given the context....

6. GloryBe!

GloryBe! Always learning.....

+21
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yeah, I could totally live in France, or wherever they don't shave. It's time consuming, tedious and literally bloody. Although I'd still trim "down south" just for my own comfort and cleanliness.

7. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+9,357
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    That was the fashion in America in the Seventies and early Eighties. It is totally cultural.

8. dogs4thewin

dogs4thewin dog lover Supporter CF Ambassadors

+3,795
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I am 21 and do not shave at all.

9. FreeinChrist

FreeinChrist CF Advisory team Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+9,769
    Belize
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Democrat
    MOD HAT

This thread has undergone a small clean up. If your post is missing, it is because it was in violation of the site rules or responding to one that was.

As a reminder, the site rules include this:

Flaming and Harassment
    ● Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.

There is no need to mock or insult anyone here

This thread is closed at OP request

10. bocannes

bocannes Newbie

+10
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Others
    Men have more body hair, so women shaving body hair emphasizes femininity. It can feel better for the woman and most men prefer it.

You could ask the same thing about why men shave their facial hair (every day). It's tedious, a pain and sometimes bloody. But it feels good for some people and most women prefer it. Have you ever looked at a type of beard or mustache and thought it looked gross?

In the end, it's personal choice. It's nice for men to do things that make them feel masculine and for women to do things that make them feel feminine. And sometimes we have to compromise.

11. Luna1991

Luna1991 Newbie

+2
    Protestant
    Single
    AU-Labor
    I agree with PP, possibly influenced by culture, but it makes me feel more feminine.

I like my skin to feel smooth just as a matter of preference. Also makes it nicer to then apply other lotions, oils, etc. which I enjoy doing. I also have a lot of scars on my body, so it's important to me to be able to put vitamin E oil and what not on them, so just another reason it's preferable.

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if other women did otherwise though, if that makes them feel more comfortable.

12. loverules

loverules you can't have courage if you are fearless

+4
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I have to due to eczema, if i dont my skin peels and starts getting really itchy really bad and really quick soooo unless i wanna look like a red peeling lobster i dont really have a choice hahaha x

13. JCFantasy23

JCFantasy23 In a Kingdom by the Sea. Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador Angels Team

+5,812
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    US-Others
    I also feel yicky not shaving and find it unattractive. That said, I mainly wear pants and really slack on shaving anyway. It's laziness as the culprit though

14. ayaanu86

ayaanu86 Member

+2
    Hindu
    Married
    one must keep the body clean and shaving is one excercise to do so if you don't shave yr armpits and the unmentionabes, they are definitely going to cause you skin trouble, earlier it may not be considered right due to many unknown things but hy to consider it now nd have a discussion on it when it is scientifically rite. :)

15. Maka

Maka Well-Known Member

+1,201
    Non-Denom
    Private

Shave!! I don't like having hairy legs or armpits.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  16. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,974
    Christian
    Married
    I think there is a point to that. Not only was it not necessary for women to do that when I was young (60s and 70s), but in fact, it was just the opposite--more hair down there was considered sexier and more womanly.

Something did happen in the 80s to change that, and it happened pretty rapidly.

I think it very much is a part of an overall push of sexuality in a number of ways farther into childhood--in this respect, making the pre-pubescent look sexy for older women and thus making pre-pubescent girls sexual as well.

I would not trust a man who prefers women to look like little girls.

17. SeekerOfChrist94

SeekerOfChrist94 Grandma ♡ June 26, 1942 - January 10, 2017 5:32 pm

+1,914
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    I don't shave sometimes, mainly because of laziness. I like the feeling of smooth skin. But if I don't want to shave, I don't really care if I don't.

18. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+9,357
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    One thing is that swim suits became much skimpier around the leg holes, so it was either shave or show bush. :eek:

19. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+10,974
    Christian
    Married
    Or wear fuller swim suits.

20. CabVet

CabVet Question everything

+150
    Agnostic
    Married
    US-Others