Alabama
✟15,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have decided for the longest time to not have a girlfriend/get married or have kids due to many mental health issues. I know that it is a bad idea but there is a girl I met recently who works at a restaurant who, like me, is into writing and has anxiety issues. I hear a voice and I'm not sure it's from God but it's asking her out on date but I do not want to ask her out on a date because I know that if I had a girlfriend, I would not be able to function at a job or function in daily living. I honestly do not see what I am missing out on by not having a girlfriend. Do you have any advice on how to handle this? I know I am not ready for a relationship and honestly, I am okay if I am single the rest of my life.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have decided for the longest time to not have a girlfriend/get married or have kids due to many mental health issues. I know that it is a bad idea but there is a girl I met recently who works at a restaurant who, like me, is into writing and has anxiety issues. I hear a voice and I'm not sure it's from God but it's asking her out on date but I do not want to ask her out on a date because I know that if I had a girlfriend, I would not be able to function at a job or function in daily living. I honestly do not see what I am missing out on by not having a girlfriend. Do you have any advice on how to handle this? I know I am not ready for a relationship and honestly, I am okay if I am single the rest of my life.

I'm not so sure God prompts us to ask people out like that. He might create opportunities if it's his will that a certain man and woman come together, but I think he expects us to do our part as well.

So with that in mind, I wouldn't sweat the situation too much. If you believe you're supposed to be single, then be single.

Reactions: SarahsKnight
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The voice you are hearing certainly, in my opinion, is not from the Lord. If you and the lady both have anxiety issues, you might multiply your problems if you got together. I am like you – I don’t want to have a girlfriend or wife. If it isn’t broken – don’t fix it. Maybe this Bible verse will help:

[36] If any one thinks that he is not behaving properly toward his betrothed, if his passions are strong, and it has to be, let him do as he wishes: let them marry -- it is no sin.
[37] But whoever is firmly established in his heart, being under no necessity but having his desire under control, and has determined this in his heart, to keep her as his betrothed, he will do well.
[38] So that he who marries his betrothed does well; and he who refrains from marriage will do better. 1 Cor 7:36-38 RSV

Upvote 0

akt1985

Mar 24, 2018
Alabama
✟15,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When I was younger, I would obsess over crushes to the point I could not function. I don't have a crush on this particular woman and I already feel the same pattern coming on where I obsess to the point I cannot function. I honestly don't want to feel that way about a woman to the point I cannot function.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
When I was younger, I would obsess over crushes to the point I could not function. I don't have a crush on this particular woman and I already feel the same pattern coming on where I obsess to the point I cannot function. I honestly don't want to feel that way about a woman to the point I cannot function.
Of course, this is something you should be praying about. From my point of view, I'd suggest you stop thinking about her. You can be friends with her.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Do you have a therapist? If so, you need to talk to them. If you don't have one you should get one. This is an important thing that needs to be dealt with by a professional, not some strangers on the internet.

• Agree
Reactions: RayofSun
Upvote 0