Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Would it say unto them 'Let me tell you what he says, I seen what he said in the bible. No one can hear God truly in their own head. You can hear your own voice talking in your head, and also emotions that have to do with guilt, shame, and fear. We also have a spirit that can lead us to peace when we believe and trust in Jesus Christ, who came died and rose again, by God on the third day.

He has told me he loves you very much, is patient, desires to know all your circumstances and you can check these facts out by reading the bible if you so desire.' - share scriptures to back up my claims if needed.

It is useful to have pocket new testament, to remind you of what God says about us. Also to write in a journal scriptures so it helps remember what God has been able to tell us that is encouraging to use in every day life.

Upvote 0

xaris

Sep 8, 2020
So. Cal
✟33,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

If a new convert was to to say to you, that they cant hear God's voice, what advice would you give?
I'd tell them the Scriptures are a great place to start hearing God's voice.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi there,

If a new convert was to to say to you, that they cant hear God's voice, what advice would you give?

I would tell the new convert that the best way to hear God is through reading His Word.

I would explain that ...

~ We hear from God in a general way as we read the Bible.

~ We hear from God in a more personal way when the Holy Spirit 'enlightens' ('calls attention to') a certain verse or part of Scripture to us, when we are reading, as a personal word to us.

~ We also hear from God in a more personal way when the Holy Spirit 'reminds' us ... at any given moment when we are needing guidance, comfort, understanding, from God ... of a particular verse we have read in the Bible in the past.

And I would tell the new convert that reading the Bible consistently helps us to hear God accurately.

Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If they say I have been reading the bible but cant hear God's voice - what then?

stumped me there carl.

I would tell the new convert that the best way to hear God is through reading His Word.

I would explain that ...

~ We hear from God in a general way as we read the Bible.

~ We hear from God in a more personal way when the Holy Spirit 'enlightens' ('calls attention to') a certain verse or part of Scripture to us, when we are reading, as a personal word to us.

~ We also hear from God in a more personal way when the Holy Spirit 'reminds' us ... at any given moment when we are needing guidance, comfort, understanding, from God ... of a particular verse we have read in the Bible in the past.

And I would tell the new convert that reading the Bible consistently helps us to hear God accurately.

That is a good way of putting it as well, Mourningdove.

• Friendly
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If they say I have been reading the bible but cant hear God's voice - what then?

Tell them to stop listening with their ears and listen with their hearts?

Tell them God is love so reading the bible outside of love will not hear His voice.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

If they read and nothing in the Bible 'speaks' to them?

Well ... for starters, I would probably gently ask the new convert to share some of their personal testimony story with me, to try to discern if their salvation experience is genuine ...

If it appears so, I would probably suggest that he/she pray to God before reading the Bible ...
asking God to speak to him in His Word ... (or something along that line) ...

When we have difficulties, we can always pray to God and ask Him for what we need.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,502,888.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd explain that not everyone relates to God in the same way, and they shouldn't feel any pressure to have exactly the same kind of "hearing" experience as others. And I might suggest different forms of prayer, to see whether one or another seems to be more helpful for them. (I've often recommended the book 50 Ways To Pray as a good resource for exploration).

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some folks who have been in the faith for years report that they never hear God.

Any advice for them?

I would ask them if they regularly and consistently read the Word and, myself being of Spirit-filled/charismatic belief, I would ask them if they have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟437,383.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'd explain that not everyone relates to God in the same way, and they shouldn't feel any pressure to have exactly the same kind of "hearing" experience as others. And I might suggest different forms of prayer, to see whether one or another seems to be more helpful for them. (I've often recommended the book 50 Ways To Pray as a good resource for exploration).

You make some really good points! :blush:

When it comes to 'hearing' God ... God is not limited in how He 'speaks' to us. Our 'hearing' experiences are not all the same. While we talk most often about how He speaks to us in and thru His Word, that does not mean that God is limited to only speaking to us in passages and verses of Scripture, as He is not.

And prayer ... prayer is 'conversation' with God! To help one find and develop a more meaningful prayer life might aid greatly in their ability to 'hear' from Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would ask if they are praying to the Holy Spirit prior to reading the word to help them hear God. I would talk with them about the Holy Spirit and opening their heart to Him. I would explain that
God wants to have a living relationship with them.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,

I love these kind of questions!

1) My parents growing up would have been thrown for the loop on this one. (Cessianism etc. seemed to be the norm in the church's and parochial schools I attended).

But I believe you should have some sense of God in your life, especially when it comes to life decisions and general direction in life as far as "What is God's will for your life" etc. And that we at different times can experience God speaking to us, leading us etc.

I do however worry about some Charismatics who seem to read spiritual significance to almost everything especially dreams. That can lead to lots of problems of people being weird, erratic, etc. moreover if it seems to actually go beyond a lot of the Biblical norms and examples of Divine guidance and revelation.

There are two Coptic sermons that cover this issue really well

2) Advice from "Finding the Strength to Go On"
My favorite Coptic sermon, is one that I listen to a lot and I really seem to recommend a lot for people going through tough times.

\ There are lots of good pieces of advice for life in general. For the OP the priest strongly recommends having a quiet time each day. Which is kind of standard advice in this area, he of course mentions it more in terms of people experiencing problems in life that they have not spiritually prepared for, being like a person that has the power go out and they do not know where the flash lights, candles and other emergency preparation materials are in their house.

\ But we are strongly encouraged to have a quiet time of devotion, prayer reading the Bible etc. to gain a sense of God in our lives, as a general everyday practice and discipline.

\ Fasting also is a discipline that is done and can aid this, but getting away from the things that distract us, even more than food. (The sermon doesn't mention this but comes from my other experience and study).

3) Finding God's Will for your life

There is another sermon series where the same Coptic presbyter teaches on Spiritual direction etc. "Finding God's Will for your life". According to him, 95% of God's will for your life is easy to find, and it comes from 2 sources.

The 95% of God's will for your life
A) The Bible lays out the majority of God's will for your life when it comes to how we should behave, and generally live our lives.

B) Providence. There are some problems and issues that seem to resist prayer and all our best efforts at prayer. These issues can often be the work of Providence, aka the hand or will of God. Like the apostle Paul speaking of "thorns in the flesh". Rather than kicking against the goads etc. it is generally advised to accept these things and move on. At some time, we may find their is some kind of hidden benefit or reason for the thing in question.

The last time 5%

We get the last 5% from our devotion time with God. The more we pray, read the Bible, meditate on the things of God etc. that is kind of like shaking a can full of soda, where the foam rises to the top, but in this case the foam is inspiration, illumination, revelation etc. from the Holy Spirit on God's will for our life, how to handle a particular problem, God pulling us to go in a certain direction etc.

4) Besides this I would give the advice to the person to look for "The Still Small Voice" inside them when they pray. Like the famous story, God often speaks to us more in subtle ways than in very flashy and dramatic ways. It's is for this reason we should do things like guard our conscience from sin to not be insensitive to these kind of subtle messages. Besides that we should prayerfully consider the advice and counsel of our friends, family, church members and other folks that love us and care about us because God often can speak through them to us. And the same can be true of rebukes from other people who are less fond of us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,130.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey... some great replies - love to see the wisdom coming through on this.

Going a little deeper - I carried a wound in my spirit for years. Would this have inhibited my ability to hear God?

I finally got some healing prayer through the ministry of the Order of St. Luke after faithfully attending for about 12 months.

The deep pain I constantly carried was no more - Hallelujah !

So should we explore this possibility that folks can be wounded or have a distorted Father image?

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟451,502.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say to them to be filled with the Holy spirit, something you are going to 'hear from God' with this, also that they seek God and pray insisting, i say its not recommended to seek an experience but if you seek God himself for the right reasons you are going to get experiences anyway so.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Going a little deeper - I carried a wound in my spirit for years. Would this have inhibited my ability to hear God?

Those kind of things tend to framed more in terms of stuff like this.

Ovid quote on pain.jpg

Even though technically yes it could in the short run. OF course God intends all things for your good, and even that would ultimately work for your betterment.

But there are lots of angles to this stuff.

1) Especially from standpoint of our life as a journey etc. Where patience and virtues need to be cultivated and that takes time. I was going to link a Jewish article I once used on Facebook which talks about the same root word for "message" in Hebrew comes from the same root used in "Wilderness", so there is a connotation that Wilderness is where we hear the message. But Facebook was not cooperating with my searches on my profile...

And there are lots of little analogies for things

2) Butterflies and Moths develop the strength to fly by breaking out of their cocoons, and people are kind of the same way metaphorically speaking.

3) This is the hot analogy people are using nowadays. The Japanese art of fixing vases and other pottery where the broken vase is fixed with gold, silver or platinum dust and actually made more beautiful than the unbroken one is thee big analogy in the self help industry, Christian preaching, etc. and of course does fit the Bible where God not only fixes things but improves upon what existed in the past.

Kintsugi - Wikipedia.

Attachments

• Japanese Gold fixing.jpg
    Japanese Gold fixing.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Upvote 0