The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I've recently noticed an idea that appears quite a lot in threads around here, and that is that an evil god is less believable than a good god. I've seen multiple occasions where people have said they've left one religion or another (mostly Christianity, but that's not a surprise given that this is a Christian board) because they decided that the god in question was evil or committed acts that they deemed immoral.

Why exactly do people think that a god must be good to be true?

EDIT: Given that some clarification appears to be necessary, I'm not just talking about converts, nor am I aiming this at anyone. I am merely wondering why people (me included) are pre-disposed to believe in a 'good' god, especially as many older or ancient religions have gods that are all over the moral scale.

Last edited:

hikersong

Walkin' and Singin'
Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
✟9,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I've frequently said that my main reason for leaving christianity was the morality of the message, and equally, the way that "God" communicated the message. I've never said that a God has to be good to be true though.

I don't have an issue with certain faiths because I am agnostic atheist and haven't seen convincing evidence for God. I have an issue with the morality of the God's proclaimed because that is what affects me and others in the real world. If people want to believe in a God of Love they are welcome to, and if they truly believe in a God of Love, then they won't try to "influence" or control other people imo. That is my concern. I am not so concerned with finding proof for and/or against a particular type of God.

Hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why does that matter to an atheist?

It's an interesting topic that just occured to me, and I know that I've been guilty of this line of thinking too, so I was wondering if anyone had any input. Do you have an answer to the question?

Upvote 0

hikersong

Walkin' and Singin'
Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
✟9,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Why does that matter to an atheist?

I'm presuming he's thinking that there might be a bit of intellectual dishonesty/hypocrisy in not believing in God just because he happens to be not the sort of god you would want to believe in. I think it's a fair question personally.

Why does it matter to you that it matters to him? ;)

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's an interesting topic that just occured to me, and I know that I've been guilty of this line of thinking too, so I was wondering if anyone had any input. Do you have an answer to the question?

Why does it matter to you that it matters to him?
wink.gif

It is awfully suspicious that this thread appeared right after a certain discussion, and I am not too comfortable with the fact that I am included in the group you have outlined in the OP, so in a sense, the spotlight is on. If you, by any chance, felt like believing that this is what certain individuals have decided and done in their spiritual journey, they hopped from one train to another, you are terribly mistaken. To me, it doesn't make sense to try to explain the reasons why one convert to one religion from another to an atheist with all due respect. So you are interested in this because it is an interesting topic? Or are you trying to understand why some people act like the way they do?

Upvote 0

hikersong

Walkin' and Singin'
Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
✟9,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It is awfully suspicious that this thread appeared right after a certain discussion, and I am not too comfortable with the fact that I am included in the group you have outlined in the OP, so in a sense, the spotlight is on.

Well, funnily I thought the thread was because of my own recent posts. How egotistical we both are. :D

Although, as mentioned, I found the question interesting rather than "suspicious". How were you "outlined in the OP"? He mentions Christians leaving their faith, and that's it. It seems a perfectly relevant question to this part of the forum.

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, funnily I thought the thread was because of my own recent posts. How egotistical we both are.
biggrin.gif
Are you serious? What religion did you convert to? It was suspicious from my point of view which is really not binding...

How were you "outlined in the OP"? He mentions Christians leaving their faith, and that's it.
Doesn't he say ...to another religion - mostly Christianity? Maybe a clarification is needed.

Upvote 0

hikersong

Walkin' and Singin'
Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
✟9,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Are you serious? What religion did you convert to? It was suspicious from my point of view which is really not binding...

Doesn't he say ...to another religion - mostly Christianity? Maybe a clarification is needed.

You need to read it again. He talks about people here who have left a religion ("mostly christianity") not joined one. If he isn't saying that, then I promise, as a forfeit, to run through the forum naked when the moderators are looking the other way. Sometimes I wonder if your eyesight is good enough for flying planes BM. :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It is awfully suspicious that this thread appeared right after a certain discussion

The question came to mind after reading quite a lot of discussions on this forum today, so whichever discussion you're talking about, it probably contributed to my idea of this thread.

and I am not too comfortable with the fact that I am included in the group you have outlined in the OP, so in a sense, the spotlight is on.

I suppose so. You don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable doing it. I didn't aim this question at anyone.

If you, by any chance, felt like believing that this is what certain individuals have decided and done in their spiritual journey, they hopped from one train to another, you are terribly mistaken. To me, it doesn't make sense to try to explain the reasons why one convert to one religion from another to an atheist with all due respect.

I know a lot of the reasons already, so you can be safe in the knowledge that not much explanation is needed. I've considered various conversions on many occasions.

So you are interested in this because it is an interesting topic?

Pretty much. Nothing wrong with that.

Or are you trying to understand why some people act like the way they do?

If people want to tell me what they think the answer is, then I'm interested in hearing. This is a discussion board, after all, not a Q&A. I just make the OP and then the thread goes wherever it wants.

Personally I think we're naturally pre-disposed towards believing in a god that is good according to our moral codes, so that changes from person to person. I know I am, which is why it's only just come up as an issue for me.

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If you read it that way, yes I see it, but apparently I didn't connect the evil god of one religion to the good god argument.

Sometimes I wonder if your eyesight is good enough for flying planes BM.
tongue.gif
Holy cow, can you get more offensive than that? Good thing I am not flying planes. :doh:

Upvote 0

SithDoughnut

Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You need to read it again. He talks about people here who have left a religion ("mostly christianity") not joined one. If he isn't saying that, then I promise, as a forfeit, to run through the forum naked when the moderators are looking the other way. Sometimes I wonder if your eyesight is good enough for flying planes BM. :p

I talked about that, but I was also talking about religious people in general, not just converts. I've spoken to various people who can't understand why people follow Islam because they're convinced that Allah is an evil god.

So how about a half-naked run, seeing as you were half right? :p

Upvote 0

hikersong

Walkin' and Singin'
Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
✟9,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Holy cow, can you get more offensive than that? Good thing I am not flying planes. :doh:

Sorry. It was just meant as a tongue in cheek comment. Wasn't intending to offend. And I really did think you said you were going into flight training at the beginning of the year.

In this country we "take the mickey" out of our mates (make fun/ tease), and it was done in that spirit.

I talked about that, but I was also talking about religious people in general, not just converts. I've spoken to various people who can't understand why people follow Islam because they're convinced that Allah is an evil god.

So how about a half-naked run, seeing as you were half right? :p

I'm off to bed, so I'll run up the stairs in a half naked fashion. Enjoy! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Penumbra

Traveler
Dec 3, 2008
United States
✟18,536.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I've recently noticed an idea that appears quite a lot in threads around here, and that is that an evil god is less believable than a good god. I've seen multiple occasions where people have said they've left one religion or another (mostly Christianity, but that's not a surprise given that this is a Christian board) because they decided that the god in question was evil or committed acts that they deemed immoral.

EDIT: Given that some clarification appears to be necessary, I'm not just talking about converts, nor am I aiming this at anyone. I am merely wondering why people (me included) are pre-disposed to believe in a 'good' god, especially as many older or ancient religions have gods that are all over the moral scale.
I would say I sort of fall into that boat, but not quite.

I don't particularly believe in any god, but a petty, violent, barbaric god is far less believable to me than a "good" god. But instead of looking it as good or bad, I view it as wise or foolish. I think it's a reasonable assumption, though not necessarily defend-able or objective, to say that a being powerful enough to create a universe would probably not be an ignorant fool. True, power doesn't bring wisdom, but I find it unbelievably doubtful that a being that can supposedly do with the fabric of reality whatever he wishes would have the personality of some bronze age warrior priest.

The most believable god to me is one that is not concerned with human affairs at all. The second most believable to me would be some sort of wise god that does care somewhat, and in far last place would be some violent egotistical deity.

-Lyn

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
there might be a bit of intellectual dishonesty/hypocrisy in not believing in God just because he happens to be not the sort of god you would want to believe in.

So does the OP accept this paraphrased question as it stands?

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It's simply because if you define God as something that exists "on its own", i.e., is eternal and not contingent or dependent on anything else, it's very hard to imagine how the quality of evil could exist on its own. Evil is seen as a corruption or perversion of what is good, so something good must be more fundamental than something bad.

Upvote 0