• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

"Not for my sake, but Yours."

Discussion in 'Spiritual Formation & Disciplines' started by Unofficial Reverand Alex, Sep 11, 2019 at 4:53 PM.

1. Unofficial Reverand Alex

Unofficial Reverand Alex Look up Jason Evert on YouTube; he changed my life Supporter

+1,787
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." --Colassians 3

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." --1 Corinthians 10
    I've been spending a lot of time in prayer since coming to my new college; my newest spiritual discipline is giving the entire 3:00 hour to God. I do the Stations of the Cross & the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, but mostly just sit/kneel quietly with Him, not asking for much, just being with Him.

One of the best things to come from this is a re-orientation of my mindset. For awhile, I'd get frustrated if I left prayer without feeling joy or peace, because I wanted something out of my prayer time. Now, I try to do things with a simple statement in mind: "Not for my sake, but Yours."

It's wonderfully liberating; I'm never upset about not receiving some sort of revelation, or a surge of joy, or anything else. I'm not here for my sake, I'm here for God's. He'll do with this hour as He pleases, and then I'll go my way.

This also builds a lot of trust in God; it's become much easier to spend quiet time with Him, when I give Him far more than enough time for me to say my prayer intentions. Since I'm here for an hour anyway, I might as well just listen.

This is also a wonderful mentality for marriage, because it reflects the relationship God has with us; I do everything for His sake, and He does everything for my sake; we're both taken care of, and a beautiful bond forms between us! While God's still preparing me for my future wife (the better way to phrase "I'm still single"), developing this kind of mentality is sure to bring much peace & happiness into marriage; and spending this much time with God makes it much easier to tolerate being single, and much easier to profile who I should be looking for!

"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." --Colossians 3
    May God bless us all!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?