Not all men are created equal in the sight of God ¶ Romans 9:21 ¶ Matthew 25:14-30 ¶ Galatians 4:22

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That "All men are created equal" is an except from the Secular philosophy of John Locke, which has no Scriptural basis whatsoever.

That there is no partiality with God (Romans 2:11, Acts 10:34) simply means that All people are to be Judged purely on the basis of their sin, and Judged by the same standard on the Great day of the LORD. 2 Corinthians 5:10, Revelation 20:12-13

Despite the Equality of God's Justice, by no means does it imply that God has given everybody 10 talents - Since the Parable of the Talents is a timeless tale, which serves to inform us that God has given people different abilities and different resources - Different resources implies the Inequality of wealth and power and social honour etc - So that some people would always have more or less than others. Matthew 25:14-30

Thus, God has created some people to have more social honour than others, which is according to the imagery of God as Creator in Isaiah 45:9, Romans 9:21 and Galatians 4:22.

In other words, the God ordained social hierarchy is not simply a man made construct without God's authority - Since Romans 13 tells us that All earthly authorities and man made institutions are God ordained, which includes the social construct of hierarchy.

So, despite the Equality of God's Justice on the Great day of Judgement, it doesn't mean to say that God has created everyone to be equal in all other respects - Since it is perfectly possible to have equality in one sense, but inequality could still prevail in all other respects.

Since, whether or not individuals/groups are superior is wholly contingent as to the criteria that one chooses - Therefore, groups and individuals may still be "equal" in one sense, but inequality could still prevail in all other respects - Such as in the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25:14-30.

Therefore, one must conclude that God did not create all men to be equal.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
"With greater power comes greater responsibility", "To he whom much is given, much is required", (and those given less, less)... "The greatest of all is, or must become, the greatest servant of all"...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Willing-heart

In Christ Alone.
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2017
Gloucester
Visit site
✟221,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the title is very misleading. We are all equal in the sight of God, both man and woman. Yet everyone is distinct. Just because one person is president and the other is a servant does not make them any less of a human being, it just means they have different roles. All men and women are EQUAL as humans but entirely UNIQUE as creatures. They are not only distinct genders sexually but almost every aspect of their natures is different. There is no superiority or inferiority between men and women in the Christian faith. The only difference is that of their roles and functions. Just as the God the Father and God the Son are absolutely equal in essence within the Godhead in every way, but have different functions, so it is between men and women.

Reactions: Inan3
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,137.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All people are created equally by God, in his image.
All have sinned, all need a Saviour and God loves sinners.

But we all have different personalities, different gifts and different callings. I am not called to be a Bishop and never will be. Bishops are more learned than I am, have great responsibilities and it must be a great honour to serve God in this way.
That doesn't make them better than me, or valued more highly by God.
Same goes for you too - you may have a fantastic ministry and many gifts, or you may be struggling to figure out where you fit in. That doesn't make you better or worse than anyone else.

I think there is a verse somewhere which says that God doesn't have favourites, but I'll have to look for it tomorrow.

Upvote 0

Sam91

Child of the Living God
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
United Kingdom
✟53,491.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Romans 9:20-21
But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’ ”h 21Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?

Romans 12:6-8
We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with youra faith; 7if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; 8if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead,b do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.

I do not think we were created equally. But those with more given will be accountable for their use of the talents given.

It wasn't always the most talented, tallest, strongest that God chose for His special tasks in the Bible. He chose the unlikely person and showed His great works through them. Jesus chose those for His inner circle from humnle circumstances.

What we see as great isn't necessarily what God sees as great. Also those in humble circumstances are often blessed. (The beatitudes)

• Agree
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟262,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The very second we die, whether we lived in a mansion or a tent in the desert, it will mean equality nothing. The only thing that will matter is, if Christ has been formed in us, and how much.

To gain Christ and finish our courses. It matters not the size of the vessel just the purity of what’s on the vessel.

Much love in Christ, Not me

• Agree
Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All people are created equally by God, in his image.
All have sinned, all need a Saviour and God loves sinners.

But we all have different personalities, different gifts and different callings. I am not called to be a Bishop and never will be. Bishops are more learned than I am, have great responsibilities and it must be a great honour to serve God in this way.
That doesn't make them better than me, or valued more highly by God.
Same goes for you too - you may have a fantastic ministry and many gifts, or you may be struggling to figure out where you fit in. That doesn't make you better or worse than anyone else.

I think there is a verse somewhere which says that God doesn't have favourites, but I'll have to look for it tomorrow.
Christ being the only exception to this rule.

¶ Hebrews 1:3 ¶ Colossians 1:15 ¶ Philippians 2:10-11

That Christ is Supreme over all is intrinsic to the Covenant of Salvation, but whosoever rejects this reality cannot be saved according to the new covenant = Romans 10:9.

Equality with God is the delusional viewpoint of those who follow Satan instead of Christ.

By definition, such people are Tares or Children of Satan who cannot be saved, unless they come to accept His Sovereignty and the Supremacy of Christ - Since, the creation cannot be equal with its CREATOR = John 1:3.

God's plan of Salvation is all about Restoring his Sovereignty over wicked people who belong to Satan instead of Christ.

Thus, one's fate on the day of Judgement will depend entirely on his ALLEGIANCE with Christ or Satan - But only wicked people would presume to be "equal" with the CREATOR.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,197.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
So, so very many people want to be "great" in some way, but, do you know that means?, do you know what that entails?, if your to do it right and in God's way...?

I have passed up so many opportunities to be great or go up higher in this world, and to be honest, I did not feel like I could handle it or do it, not right anyway, and I fear it also, I like where I am at now, at this level is just fine and works for me, also don't want all that responsibility, or accountability either, I guess... So, I refused...

Being great is more of curse than a blessing if you ask me...

Heavy is the head that wears the crown...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, so very many people want to be "great" in some way, but, do you know that means?, do you know what that entails?, if your to do it right and in God's way...?

I have passed up so many opportunities to be great or go up higher in this world, and to be honest, I did not feel like I could handle it or do it, not right anyway, and I fear it also, I like where I am at now, at this level is just fine and works for me, also don't want all that responsibility, or accountability either, I guess... So, I refused...

God Bless!
FDR said, "The only thing to fear is fear itself".

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟250,875.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That "All men are created equal" is an except from the Secular philosophy of John Locke, which has no Scriptural basis whatsoever.

What about this?

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is [aj]neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

I concede this does not address the matter of whether we are created equal, but it certainly shows that all are effectively equal in the body of Christ.

Thus, God has created some people to have more social honour than others, which is according to the imagery of God as Creator in Isaiah 45:9, Romans 9:21 and Galatians 4:22.
Romans 9 is Paul's argument that God has hardened Israel as part of His grand plan of redemption. In verse 21, Paul appears to generalize this to say that God can people for whatever purposes He chooses. Fair enough, but that is not the same thing as suggesting that some people are in any sense "better" than others.

I am not really sure what what your overall point is, but perhaps that will become clear as the thread evolves.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about this?

For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is [aj]neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

I concede this does not address the matter of whether we are created equal, but it certainly shows that all are effectively equal in the body of Christ.

Romans 9 is Paul's argument that God has hardened Israel as part of His grand plan of redemption. In verse 21, Paul appears to generalize this to say that God can people for whatever purposes He chooses. Fair enough, but that is not the same thing as suggesting that some people are in any sense "better" than others.

I am not really sure what what your overall point is, but perhaps that will become clear as the thread evolves.
Clearly, Jesus Christ is unlike other people who were created by God; but Christ is the Word by which the entire earth was created. John 1:3

Since, it is the Word who created Adam and all his descendants.

God alone is Creator, and Christ is the Word which created humankind. John 1:3

Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"With greater power comes greater responsibility", "To he whom much is given, much is required", (and those given less, less)... "The greatest of all is, or must become, the greatest servant of all"...

God Bless!
Amen.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

That there is no partiality with God (Romans 2:11, Acts 10:34) simply means that All people are to be Judged purely on the basis of their sin, and Judged by the same standard on the Great day of the LORD. 2 Corinthians 5:10, Revelation 20:12-13

Despite the Equality of God's Justice, by no means does it imply that God has given everybody 10 talents - Since the Parable of the Talents is a timeless tale, which serves to inform us that God has given people different abilities and different resources - Different resources implies the Inequality of wealth and power and social honour etc - So that some people would always have more or less than others. Matthew 25:14-30

In other words, the God ordained social hierarchy is not simply a man made construct without God's authority - Since Romans 13 tells us that All earthly authorities and man made institutions are God ordained, which includes the social construct of hierarchy.

So, despite the Equality of God's Justice on the Great day of Judgement, it doesn't mean to say that God has created everyone to be equal in all other respects - Since it is perfectly possible to have equality in one sense, but inequality could still prevail in all other respects.

Since, whether or not individuals/groups are superior is wholly contingent as to the criteria that one chooses - Therefore, groups and individuals may still be "equal" in one sense, but inequality could still prevail in every other sense - Such as in the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25:14-30.

Discuss.
I would imagine that the Lord compares people according to how much effort they put in to obeying his commandments, as opposed to any preordained thing.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,137.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ being the only exception to this rule.

¶ Hebrews 1:3 ¶ Colossians 1:15 ¶ Philippians 2:10-11

That Christ is Supreme over all is intrinsic to the Covenant of Salvation, but whosoever rejects this reality cannot be saved according to the new covenant = Romans 10:9.

Equality with God is the delusional viewpoint of those who follow Satan instead of Christ.

I didn't say that we are equal WITH God, nor does the title of your thread say that.
I said that we have all been created BY God. We are all equal in his sight because he made us all and he doesn't have favourites.

In the eyes of the world, and I'm sorry to say, even the church, we are not all equal; a person is often defined by their position and their gifts. A bishop would be regarded as being greater than a youth worker, even if they would not claim that for themselves.

God loves both equally.

• Agree
Reactions: black.hawk
Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I didn't say that we are equal WITH God, nor does the title of your thread say that.
I said that we have all been created BY God. We are all equal in his sight because he made us all and he doesn't have favourites.

In the eyes of the world, and I'm sorry to say, even the church, we are not all equal; a person is often defined by their position and their gifts. A bishop would be regarded as being greater than a youth worker, even if they would not claim that for themselves.

God loves both equally.
I mostly agree with what you have said.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If the low end of this "inequality" is a poor crippled and possibly mentally challenged Lazarus type person begging for food and the top end of this inequality is a well educated, powerful, influential, rich person tripping over a Lazarus every day, which would you choose to be?
Lazarus was here on earth providing the very best opportunity for the rich man everyday to experience Godly type Love, and he did his calling well. The rich man may have contributed to hospitals with his name on the outside, but he did not cease the opportunity before him.
The parable of the talents takes explaining, but look at it carefully:
1. the ability (what ever it is) is the same just in different quantities (ability to handle the money and make it grow)
2. the talents are the same also just in different quantities in proportion to the abilities. Talent is a bag of gold or silver (money) so what would be a measure of wealth and media of exchange in the Spiritual realm?
3. There is hope involved

The "money" (Godly type Love) is still God's and we use it in proportion to our faith (ability).
We must all become as children to enter the Kingdom. Is there any other ability of significant value when compared to faith?

Upvote 0

Inan3

Veteran Saint
Jul 22, 2007
West of the Mississippi
✟20,375.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Since, whether or not individuals/groups are superior is wholly contingent as to the criteria that one chooses - Therefore, groups and individuals may still be "equal" in one sense, but inequality could still prevail in all other respects - Such as in the Parable of the Talents in Matthew 25:14-30.

Discuss.

Interesting thinking but I find it to be somewhat askew! Firstly, the use of the term "created", in truth, only relates to Adam the first man who was made in the image and likeness of God.

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Inherent within man is the ability to "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion." What makes the difference is the ability to choose, also. As we see from the beginning man has made many wrong choices and with those choices comes consequences.

While it is true there was a different distribution of talents given based on each one's ability. We cannot assume that it was because God wanted one to excel more than the other. They were all able to double their talents but only two decided to do it. The third "could have" but did not, because he chose not to. It is obvious that his thinking was wrong. God so wants us ALL to succeed that the scriptures are full of instruction on how to change our thinking to do so! I suggest to you, that each man's ability was not based on whether he was given (or not) some special power by God to make him excel more or less than others, but rather that it was developed by each individual as THEY took hold upon the potential given to all men to "be fruitful and multiply." For example the one who was given the 5 talents could have been older, more experienced, chosen a career venue that was more capable of returning a larger investment etc. and the master knew all of this and therefore entrusted him with more at this time. He knew the individual could be trusted with more. The one with 2 talents could have been climbing up the ladder but didn't have the same tenure as the first. Notice that they BOTH received double on their investment. The third could have just begun and this was his first opportunity to show what he could do but he was lazy and chose the unproductive path! He'd been around and seen some things but chose to not apply himself. Notice this is the only thing that upset the lord. The guy didn't even try? Maybe he thought well those guys have the gift but I don't. The lord was pleased with application not ability!

There are many accounts today of individuals of ALL races, stature, strengths, social hierarchies, educations, beginnings and endings, etc. who have taken what they had and multiplied it and became fruitful. Man was created with that ability but only those who seize it or develop it will walk in it!

Therefore, I think we should conclude that any man who will, can create his own success and be whoever he wants to be if he applies himself to do it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

black.hawk

Aug 18, 2017
Wiltshire
✟10,427.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

God Bless!
But what does it mean to do it right, and to do it God's way?

Please clarify.

Upvote 0

Inan3

Veteran Saint
Jul 22, 2007
West of the Mississippi
✟20,375.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

While I do believe (for clarification purposes) the word
created in John Locke's statement above should be removed to improve it, I think context brings the actual understanding to the equality of all men. Therefore, I actually agree with it more than what I understand you to be saying in your post. For a better understanding of that statement you have to see it's context. "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness." Take out the word "created" and you can say in all truth, that ALL men HAVE BEEN "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights!"

One man, Adam, and one woman Eve were created in the image and likeness of God and blessed to have dominion of all the earth and other created beings on the earth. Every one of their descendants were included in that blessing! This was a blessing to be fulfilled on ALL men!

Adam's sin brought in death leaving men inadequate, diverse, poor, sick, cursed, etc. etc. Down through the ages death has set the tenure for unequal classes, whether financial, physical, social, intellectual, etc. Sin and death have cursed man and the earth rather than God's intended blessing of Dominion!

To attach that intent to God in anyway is ignorant (no offense intended) at best, and evil at worst. It demeans the character and heart of God. It is the love of God that has consequently set up a system for this first creation to live by where those who have more share with those who do not. Anything other than that has been fueled by the evil heart of the Adamic race.

Agreed... except.... I believe all people will be judged on the basis of accepting Christ or not accepting Christ.

I have already addressed the distribution of Talents in my post above #17. I will only add that once again this is a consequence of sin and death rather than the intent of God. God honors those that apply themselves in His ways and rewards them, and rejects those that do not and they reap the consequences. This only establishes the equal right of every person to choose their lot in this life. While the parable of the Talents gives one side of the lesson, I believe the parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard in Mat 20:1-16 gives more revelation on the intent and heart of God. One scripture to seal this thought and to show that man is undoubtedly responsible for what he partakes of in this life is:

Gal_6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

I might add here that sowing and reaping also includes and/or affects how one perceives the scriptures pertaining to their lives and what God intends for them. If we think He has partiality we are going to sow those thoughts and words into our lives and in the end reap less than God wants for us. We will be burying own talent so to speak

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟610,625.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
wedgewood.jpg
We are not all equally circumstanced, we are not all equally gifted, we are not all all sorts of things, however none of us has any right to perceive that we might be of more value to God than someone else, and indeed in the final analysis before God we are all equal.

Those who championed the liberation of slaves in the 19th Century were not misguided, nor were they uninformed as the the Holy Scriptures, though they were accused on both.

Upvote 0