Chicago
✟22,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
My friend who is in the military told me a story of how a member from our Church survived a blast from a mine without a scratch. I believe God truly protects the followers of Christ.

Upvote 0

Chinchilla

May 31, 2018
Warsaw
✟30,919.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My friend who is in the military told me a story of how a member from our Church survived a blast from a mine without a scratch. I believe God truly protects the followers of Christ.

Only when his purpose is not fulfilled , some people had purpose to die for thier faith like Peter for example giving us thier testimony untill death .

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"fires ...that cost nearly 100 lives"
She said “amidst...”.
We know there was tragedy. Loss of life is always tragic. Are we qualified to judge who is to die, when and why?

That no churches were burned remains miraculous even in the face of the tragedy.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She said “amidst...”.
We know there was tragedy. Loss of life is always tragic. Are we qualified to judge who is to die, when and why?

That no churches were burned remains miraculous even in the face of the tragedy.
If there were survivors found in the churches,
that would be a story worth repeating.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,470.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Christian materialism is a philosophy that misses the essence of the Gospel: “Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death and on those in the tombs bestowing life!”
The Christian materialist holds this present temporary mortal life not merely sacred, as we all do, but as the only life. He or she loses sight of eternity, as well as of the sacred in general in this life. Thus, like for the atheist, for the Christian materialist, physical death seems the greatest evil that can happen. Concern about one’s soul in eternity, as well as the ability to recognize the value of the sacred in this life, become secondary, or at least, harder to perceive or care about.

You won’t find anyone here that thinks it good that people died in the fires. But, this being the congregational forum TAW (in which you are a welcome guest), many recognize it as good that sacred spaces were spared, even though we wish that no one had died. Our hope is in Pascha, and in the resurrection of the dead.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

actually God sparing those Churches affirms His mercy on those who died. so it is a story worth repeating.

Reactions: ikonographics
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
actually God sparing those Churches affirms His mercy on those who died. so it is a story worth repeating.
I can't stop you from claiming the victory of 100 deaths and church buildings all spared.
I'd prefer the opposite result of 1 near death and 99 buildings gone.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can't stop you from claiming the victory of 100 deaths and church buildings all spared.
I'd prefer the opposite result of 1 near death and 99 buildings gone.

of course it would be infinitely better for every parish to be torched and all people spared. however, being as how that is not what happened, we can and should rejoice in God's reminder that He was present even in the midst of that tragedy.

and I didn't say you were trying to stop me from doing anything.

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Am I nuts (don't answer that) or is it just plain crazy that we have an inspirational story from the OP showing something miraculous and it turns out by someone in here to be a BAD thing?

Ay yay yay.....

How do we know how many people were SAVED and spared by God!? That fire had the potential kill far more than 100. We don't know the extent of God's mercy or His motives.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Am I nuts (don't answer that) or is it just plain crazy that we have an inspirational story from the OP showing something miraculous and it turns out by someone in here to be a BAD thing?

Ay yay yay.....

How do we know how many people were SAVED and spared by God!? That fire had the potential kill far more than 100. We don't know the extent of God's mercy or His motives.
No you're not crazy.

It's all a matter of perspective.

Of COURSE we are not rejoicing in anyone's tragic death. :(

But we can rejoice that in the midst of tragedy - there are glimpses of mercy of God.

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Ay yay yay.....

Your point is valid... even in spite of your well known level of sanity (or, lack thereof ;) )

Upvote 0