Non-Violence as Taught in the New Testament is Moral and Good.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Non-Violence as Taught in the New Testament is Moral and Good:

Christians are to walk by faith and not by sight. For without faith, it is impossible to please God. Trusting in the verses or passages in the Bible on non-violence takes faith. You have to first believe these words in the Bible and you have to take it by faith that God has an ultimate good plan that we cannot always see (No matter what happens to us). The life story of Joseph is a good example of this. What Joseph's brothers intended for evil against Joseph, God intended to use their evil for the purpose of good. It is the same with Jesus. What appeared to be the death of the disciple's master (which really had upset Peter at first), was the ultimate plan of redemption for all mankind. Something that appeared to be horrible (The death of Jesus), was just the start of something amazing and good. So we cannot always see what God's plan is even when we are to walk in the valley of the shadow of death. For when Job had lost his sons, certain possessions, and his health, he could have denied God and turn away from Him. But Job did not do that. He still continued to believe in the Lord and worship Him (even if he did briefly get angry at God). The idea of non-violence is hard for many of us. Some of you may have been to war. Some of you may be a police officer and you rely on your gun. Some of you may have even saved lives countless times over with the use of violent force. But God's ways are higher than our ways. He calls us to do things by faith that does not always make sense to us. For there are cases where Christians who follow the New Testament's teaching on non-violence who have prayed and or praised God in a potentially violent situation and they were not harmed. Granted, this is not always the case. Christians are also called to be persecuted or to suffer as Christ had suffered. How can one truly do this if they are on the offensive and or attacking others? We are told to follow the life of Jesus. Yet, nowhere do we see Jesus ever fighting back. Jesus says take up your cross and come follow me. Jesus died on the cross. What would have seemed like the end, was actually something far more. When believers die or suffer for the cause of Christ and it leads to just one soul to the LORD because they see the love, peace, and dedication they have for God (who lives in them), then it is all worth it according to God's ultimate plan for good (Which is to lead as many men as possible to Him). But what about justice in a given situation? Should we stand by as we watch our family or friends or others get hurt? No. We can trust in God and pray to Him and act in a non-violent way so as to protect them. But wouldn't it seem simpler to just end evil men by shooting them? Then how can you witness Christ or the gospel to them if they are dead? Also, is not God in control of all things? Can anything truly bad happen to you without God's say so? But again, you might ask: What about justice in a given situation? If God told you to trust in Him and His plan of not acting violent, and something bad happens, do you think that evil or evil men will not be judged in the end? Can you also see God's entire good plan working in your life in trusting Him like with the story of Joseph and his brothers? Are you God to be able to see His greater plan for good?

New Testament Scripture That Supports Non-Violence:

John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Matthew 26:52-53
52 Then Jesus told him, "Put your sword back in its place because all who take up a sword will perish by a sword.
53 Or do you think that I cannot call on My Father, and He will provide Me at once with more than 12 legions of angels?

Matthew 5:44-45
44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,
45 so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Luke 6:27-29
27 But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you.
29 If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also;

Luke 6:35 But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked.

Matthew 5:39 But I say to you, Do not make use of force against an evil man; but to him who gives you a blow on the right side of your face let the left be turned. -Bible in Basic English

Luke 12:22 And he said to his disciples, "Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you shall eat, nor about your body, what you shall put on.

Matthew 7:12 In everything do to others as you would have them do to you; for this is the law and the prophets.

1 Peter 3:8-9
8 Finally, all of you, have unity of spirit, sympathy, love of the brethren, a tender heart and a humble mind.
9 Do not return evil for evil or reviling for reviling; but on the contrary bless, for to this you have been called, that you may obtain a blessing.

Romans 12:17-21
17 Never repay anyone evil for evil. Take thought for what is right and gracious and proper in the sight of everyone. - AMP
18 and do your best to live at peace with everyone. - CEV
19 Christian brothers, never pay back someone for the bad he has done to you. Let the anger of God take care of the other person. - NLV for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good. - KJV

1 Thessalonians 5:15 See that none of you repays evil for evil, but always seek to do good to one another and to all.

1 Peter 2:21-23
21 For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps.
22 He committed no sin; no guile was found on his lips.
23 When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten; but he trusted to him who judges justly.

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

2 Corinthians 10:4 We do not use those things to fight with that the world uses. We use the things God gives to fight with and they have power. Those things God gives to fight with destroy the strong-places of the devil.

Luke 3:14 Do violence to no man,

John 8:7 But when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Matthew 10:28-31
28 And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father’s will.
30 But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Luke 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

John 14:27 Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called sons of God.

James 3:18 The fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them that make peace.

Romans 10:15. How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace.

Ephesians 6:14 Stand therefore . . . having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace.

Ephesians 4:1-3
1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Hebrews 12:14 Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord

Romans 16:20 The God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly.

2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren ... be perfected; be comforted; be of the same mind; live in peace: and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus

Galatians 1:13 - For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it.

2 Timothy 3:12 - Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution

1 Peter 4:12-16
12 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you:
13 But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy.
14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.
15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters.
16 Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf.

1 Peter 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves likewise with the same mind...

Matthew 5:10 - Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

1 Corinthians 13:3 - and though I give my body to be burned, and have not love, it profits me nothing.

Philippians 1:21 - For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.

Revelation 13:10 - He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

Popular Common Objections:

Luke 22:36 is a popular objection because Jesus tells his disciples to buy a sword.

Here is a great article explaining this one in great detail (Which is quoted in the OP of this thread here):

Love and Non-Resistance

As for John the Baptist's silence on not telling the soldiers to quit the military in Luke 3:10-14 (Which is similar to Jesus's encounter with the Roman Centurion - Luke 7:1-10):

Check out this article here:

Did John the Baptist tell repentant soldiers to leave the military?

As for Jesus not telling the Roman Centurion not to quite the military or to do no more violence in Luke 7:1-10:

Well, you have to realize that salvation did not go out unto the Gentiles yet. They first preached the gospel to Israel first.

As for Romans 13:4 that says,

...for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.

This is talking about how unbelieving authorities or nations (like a government's leaders, armies, and police) who are God's ministers to execute wrath or judgment on those who do evil. This is not talking about believers because it is telling the reader to be subject unto this higher powers (Romans 13:1). It does not tell the reader that they are these higher powers. The reader that Paul is writing to are believers (not the higher powers who are in authority whereby we are to be subject unto). In fact, God used both Assyria and Babylon to punish His people. So we can see that these nations were God's ministers of justice (Which would be in line with what is said in Romans 13).

Last edited:

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have been meaning for the past couple of days to begin this thread, and I hate to say it but this is one thing some Christians practice that I cannot stand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have been meaning for the past couple of days to begin this thread, and I hate to say it bu this is one thing some Christians practice that I cannot stand.

I realize that. The things of God are offensive to man. I would encourage you to pray about it, though. Also, please carefully read my post and look at the verses I shared, as well.

May God bless you.

Reactions: Bollweevil
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I realize that. The things of God are offensive to man. I would you to pray about it. Also, please carefully read my post and look at the verses I shared, as well.

I have no problem with people Christian or otherwise for that matter choosing not to defend themselves ( particularly if doing so would involve violence) I do have an issue with people who refuse to defend OTHER people and/or tell people that it is wrong to use their legal right to self defense.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why did Y'SHUA say to buy a sword, then say of only 2 swords it is enough ?

This (below) looks more likely (than the last link in the op; I read the link and it doesn't seem to me to be likely).

My first thought was it was simply to fulfill prophecy. This (following) also fits:

http://reknew.org/2014/05/jesus-said-buy-a-sword-what-did-he-mean/

Excerpt:

"First, when Peter used the sword against those who were arresting him, Jesus responded “No more of this!” and healed the man’s ear that was cut off. Jesus rebuked him and told him to put it back in at sheath where it belongs (Luke 22:47-51). When Jesus appears before Pilate he gives the fact that his followers are not fighting as proof that his kingdom “is not of this world.” In this light, it seems clear, whatever Jesus had in mind in telling his disciples to bring swords along with them, it wasn’t for them to ever use them.

What other reason might Jesus have had for making his disciples bring swords? The answer is provided by Jesus himself as explains that it was to fulfill the prophecy, “He was numbered with the transgressors” (Is 53:12). To fulfill prophecy as well as to further force the hand of the authorities, if necessary, Jesus and his band of disciples had to appear to be criminals. More specifically, they had to appear like a typical band of sword wielding zealots, thus justifying the arrest and eventual execution of their leader.

This explains why Jesus says, “It is enough,” when the disciples produce only two swords. If Jesus expected his disciples to actually engage in sword fighting, two swords would obviously be completely inadequate. But for the mere purpose of appearing to be a band of lawbreaking zealots, two swords would suffice."

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
their legal right to self defense.
The "legal" right to self defense in Israel did not include any right to kill a person.
If someone killed another person, even for self-defense, they were to be put to death.
Only if it could be shown to be an unforeseen accident would their life be spared.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 5:39 But I say to you, Do not make use of force against an evil man; but to him who gives you a blow on the right side of your face let the left be turned. -Bible in Basic English
Matt 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Why would He say this? One we are not to be revengeful. Two, we are to be willing to take punishment and persecution for the sake of the gospel, for the sake of the kingdom. Why do I believe that? Because Jesus said...
John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

If someone breaks in your house to rob you and they also intend to kill your family, they are not doing that because you are a Christian. Most likely they have no idea who you are, what you believe, and couldn't care less. This is not persecution for the gospel or for the kingdom.
So do you have to turn the other cheek and let them kill your family? I say no.

• Agree
Reactions: dogs4thewin
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Matt 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Why would He say this? One we are not to be revengeful. Two, we are to be willing to take punishment and persecution for the sake of the gospel, for the sake of the kingdom. Why do I believe that? Because Jesus said...

If someone breaks in your house to rob you and they also intend to kill your family, they are not doing that because you are a Christian. Most likely they have no idea who you are, what you believe, and couldn't care less. This is not persecution for the gospel or for the kingdom.
Also, that does not mean that you cannot and should not turn to the government for help with such issues. I am almost certain Christ does not expect us to work where we are ALWAYS being mistreated, for example.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The "legal" right to self defense in Israel did not include any right to kill a person.
If someone killed another person, even for self-defense, they were to be put to death.
Only if it could be shown to be an unforeseen accident would their life be spared.
Please back your statement up with scripture.

Exodus 22:2-3 If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him.
If the sun be risen upon him, there shall be blood shed for him; for he should make full restitution; if he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.

Psalm 46:1{To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth.} God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble
Psalm 144:1{A Psalm of David.} Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Didn't Samson kill thousands of Philistines in self defense?

Judges 15:16
New International Version
Then Samson said, "With a donkey's jawbone I have made donkeys of them. With a donkey's jawbone I have killed a thousand men."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It appears the main reason Yeshua told the disciples to bring a couple swords to the place where he would be 'captured', was to teach them an object lesson on why they should not use this world's weapons of violence to physically assault others. For those who walk by the faith of Christ are to leave the smiting to God; and not despise, reject, or circumvent His longsuffering towards sinners and evildoers, for we ourselves could / would not be saved either - were it not for that same longsuffering nature of God.

Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.
And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
Who will render to every man according to his deeds: <---> Romans 2:1-6

Something has radically changed in New Testament times. Now every human being is - 'one for whom Christ died'. Therefore, God is holding off the bulk of His wrath, in honor of His Son's Great Sacrifice, and to give most every one a great space to find repentance in... But once that time / space is up....then God's wrath will wax so hot against all who have not submitted /surrendered to Christ, that our entire world / universe will explode, melt, and burn up.

...the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. <---> 2nd Peter 3:7-10

Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; <---> 2nd Peter 3:12-15

May The Lord Be Magnified !

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem with people Christian or otherwise for that matter choosing not to defend themselves ( particularly if doing so would involve violence) I do have an issue with people who refuse to defend OTHER people and/or tell people that it is wrong to use their legal right to self defense.

There are other non-violent options to employ in self defense. A gun, a karate chop to the head, or sharks with lasers on their foreheads are not neccesary if you are a true child of God. Remember, Jesus said the Father is aware of every sparrow that falls to the ground. He said how much more value we are than sparrows.

The issue comes down to whether or not you believe:

(a) God's Word on the subject of non-violence in the New Testament
(Which in many cases goes completely ignored because of one's own old world view, their emotions, and past experiences, etc.).

(b) God is in control of every given situation (no matter how big or small).
For Scripture says, all things work together for good to those who love God.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are other non-violent options to employ in self defense. A gun, a karate chop to the head, or sharks with lasers on their foreheads are not neccesary if you are a true child of God. Remember, Jesus said the Father is aware of every sparrow that falls to the ground. He said how much more value we are than sparrows.

The issue comes down to whether or not you believe:

(a) God's Word on the subject of non-violence in the New Testament
(Which in many cases goes completely ignored because of one's own old world view, their emotions, and past experiences, etc.).

(b) God is in control of every given situation (no matter how big or small).
For Scripture says, all things work together for good to those who love God.

If indeed all you need is faith to defend yourself because God is in control-then how do you explain the thousands of Christians whom Vlad the Impaler impaled and watched die slowly as he ate lunch? That God was aware of the whole thing was of absolutely no consolation to them-that I can assure you. In fact, it might have added a psychological agony by placing someone with the ability to intervene in the situation but who refused to intervene.

I once knew a person who claimed that if she were in an open field and a rhino charged her she would kneel and pray instead of running to find a tree to climb.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Cannot God stop the death of your family?
Is not God in control of all things?
What verse in the New Testament says we have to act violently in order to protect our family?
Do you not realize that there are non-violent ways to deal with murderers?
Running, hiding, and blocking their way, praying, and telling them to stop in the name of Jesus Christ are just a few ways.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If indeed all you need is faith to defend yourself because God is in control-then how do you explain the thousands of Christians whom Vlad the Impaler impaled and watched die slowly as he ate lunch? That God was aware of the whole thing was of absolutely no consolation to them-that I can assure you. In fact, it might have added a psychological agony by placing someone with the ability to intervene in the situation but who refused to intervene.

There are times that Christians are called to be persecuted for their faith as a testimony for the cause of Jesus Christ. Remember when the Roman soldier looked at Jesus? He said, truly this was the Son of God. I imagine through out history that there are certain men who were affected by the testimony of a Christian's persecution (in the fact that those who watched these Christian's tortured could see Christ living in them in their last moments of when they were alive) whereby it later changed them to live for the Lord.

Also, the Scriptures say,

"Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 5:10).

"Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints." (Psalms 116:15).

Radrook said:
I once knew a person who claimed that if she were in an open field and a rhino charged her she would kneel and pray instead of running to find a tree to climb.

Wow. And you don't think God is capable of answering her prayer so as to help her? Really? Where is your faith? I mean, regardless of whether or not God helps her. The fact that you think that the LORD would not want her to place her trust in Him is just all out absurdity. For without faith it is impossible to please God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We see the reality of the failure to accept Christ's teachings at the West Bank first hand. We see all kinds of lies, deceit, and destruction. All over Arabia and across the world, wisdom is lost, and torment is witnessed in the rejection of Christ's word.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Didn't Samson kill thousands of Philistines in self defense?

Judges 15:16
New International Version
Then Samson said, "With a donkey's jawbone I have made donkeys of them. With a donkey's jawbone I have killed a thousand men."

But this was the Old Testament. We are saints who are a part of the New Testament. We no longer have to offer animal sacrifices to a priest anymore according to the Old Law. We no longer prevented in eating unclean animals, etc. Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

The way of Christ is a higher and better way of living than for the way of the Old Testament saint.

"But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises." (Hebrews 8:6).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟887,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What verse in the New Testament says we have to act violently in order to protect our family?
Do you not realize that there are non-violent ways to deal with murderers?
Running, hiding, and blocking their way, praying, and telling them to stop in the name of Jesus Christ are just a few ways.

God will sometimes use self-defense or others defending you to stop death.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,099,038.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
David addressed this. Sometimes God uses people to protect people, just as He uses people to speak the Gospel, care for the poor, etc.

Psalm 46:1{To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth.} God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble

Psalm 144:1{A Psalm of David.} Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God will sometimes use self-defense or others defending you to top death.

While God can use unbelieving ministers for his way of justice (According to Romans 13), that does not mean he wants His followers to act violently (Which would run contrary to His Word in the New Testament).

Also, sometimes fighting can makes things worse. Sometimes violence can makes things worse. For example: Parents have shot their own children thinking they were an intruder in their own home.

You reap what you sow. So if you sow violence, then violence is what you are going to reap. For Jesus says he that lives by the sword shall die by the sword.

Last edited:
Upvote 0