Non-Violence as Taught in the New Testament is Moral and Good.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
So you have invested interest in guns already. So it would be harder for you to accept what the Scriptures are saying on this matter.

actually impossible, as Jesus told the disciples.

but what is impossible for men, is possible for God.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The gospel is a way of life. It is a part of us. We are to live and breath the gospel. So non-violence is a part of that. Also, nowhere will you find any verse or passage in the New Testament that commands God's people to use violence as a part of self defense. Nowhere do we even see Jesus or His followers take up swords to fight in self defense.

Nowhere in the NT does it say we should not. Except if one is being persecuted for the sake of the Gospel or His Kingdom. This is what we see Jesus and the apostles do.

You are arguing from a place of silence in the NT. If it isn't addressed in the NT we should turn to the OT.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you have invested interest in guns already. So it would be harder for you to accept what the Scriptures are saying on this matter.

You are presumptuous, brother. My guns have fed my family for many years. It is wise to carry a handgun as well when one is hunting where there are bears and lions.
But I do believe that if someone were to threaten me or someone else with bodily harm and using a gun was the only way to stop them, I would be justified in doing so.

• Agree
Reactions: Celticroots
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I already have provided verses in my original post that shows that we are not to act violently in self defense.
Those scriptures do not support your argument.
The Old Testament or Old Covenant is no longer in effect. We are New Covenant believers and not Old Covenant believers. This is evident by the fact that believers today do not offer animal sacrifices anymore to a priest.
This is not about which Covenant we are under. This is about morals and ethical behavior. Good morals and ethics are found in both Covenants.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
One should never physically harm someone if they have not been threatened with bodily harm by that person. Someone climbing through your window does not mean that they are there to physically harm you or anyone else.
I know, but IF bodily harm is stated or REASONABLLY feared it should not matter who the person is.

• Agree
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
So again, is the child at fault?

Again, if the person REASONABLY fears for his or her safety it should not matter who it is. As usually the children are not themselves just walking in normally.

• Agree
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Live by the sword...this means to practice violence, that is to make violence a part of your life.

Jesus didn't want his followers to use violence as a way of defending the Gospel or the Kingdom.
like using violence first thing, for example when you do not get your way.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Also, who are gun owners here and believe they can be used in self defense?

common sense gun owners who believe in their right to be safe (particularly in their own home).

• Agree
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You are presumptuous, brother. My guns have fed my family for many years. It is wise to carry a handgun as well when one is hunting where there are bears and lions.
But I do believe that if someone were to threaten me or someone else with bodily harm and using a gun was the only way to stop them, I would be justified in doing so.
Even if you faced charges you could probably get off on self-defense though some states that is harder than others either because one had the duty to retreat OR in some cases you have to prove it was self-defense do so and it is a complete defense, but it is on you to prove that your actions were in fact in self-defense. As opposed to the state having to prove that it was not excusable self-defense.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Does this rejection of self defense extend to the police use of force to protect you?
I wonder that same thing about people who do not believe in practicing self-defense, at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Even if you faced charges you could probably get off on self-defense though some states that is harder than others either because one had the duty to retreat OR in some cases you have to prove it was self-defense do so and it is a complete defense, but it is on you to prove that your actions were in fact in self-defense. As opposed to the state having to prove that it was not excusable self-defense.
I really not concerned about the laws of man here. My participation is strictly about the moral and ethical view point.
I would never shoot someone because they were entering my home unlawfully. I'm just not going to do it. But if they are intent on doing harm to my person or my family then they had better be believing me when I warn them of my intentions. If they are armed they don't get a warning, I would have to assume that they are also dangerous.
It would be horrible to take a life under any circumstances and a burden I would never want to bear.

EDIT: They might get a warning depending on the weapon they have and where that weapon is on their person.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I really not concerned about the laws of man here. My participation is strictly about the moral and ethical view point.
I would never shoot someone because they were entering my home unlawfully. I'm just not going to do it. But if they are intent on doing harm to my person or my family then they had better be believing me when I warn them of my intentions. If they are armed they don't get a warning, I would have to assume that they are also dangerous.
It would be horrible to take a life under any circumstances and burden I would never want to bear.
EDIT: They might get a warning depending on the weapon they have and where that weapon is on their person.
but my point was the fact is in this fallen world you still may face charges and have to defend yourself aganist incarceration if (in fact it was believed that you did not act in self defense.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
but my point was the fact is in this fallen world you still may face charges and have to defend yourself aganist incarceration if (in fact it was believed that you did not act in self defense.
I'm not interested in discussing the legalities of man's law in this thread.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟894,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does this rejection of self defense extend to the police use of force to protect you?

Romans 13 talks about how the government are God's ministers of justice. While God can use ungodly nations or governments to execute his judgment, that does not mean God wants His people to do the same under the New Covenant. So yes. I am justified by calling the cops to protect my family. Because the cops are not like a hit squad. They do not shoot first and ask questions later. They are God's unbelieving ministers of justice. In other words, it would sort of be like praying to God so as to send an angel to protect you without you having to act violently yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's unacceptable for me to use arms to defend my self but acceptable for a third party to take the same action?

Yet they would have to use force. If the only acceptable option is pacifism is having others do the dirty work for you acceptable?

Everyone has different roles and parts to play. God says vengeance is His.

"Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” (Romans 12:19).

"Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how that's an answer. Shouldn't the officers just pray and have faith?

I believe some professions or jobs are in conflict with a person who wants to truly dedicate themselves to the Lord in all they do.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why is it acceptable to call others and have them do your dirty work?

There are many things that God and others do that we would prefer not doing or cannot do. Surely we cannot carry out justice better than God? Do we all kill our own meat and grow our own vegetables? Do we all build our own cars and do the hard work necessary to get gas and oil for our cars? Can we hold the building blocks of life together like God? Are we all soldiers or all artists or all politicians?

As I said before, everyone has their role or part to play. God's part is something that nobody can do but Himself. For He is God and He can do amazing and wonderous things that man cannot.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because the cops are not like a hit squad. They do not shoot first and ask questions later. They are God's unbelieving ministers of justice.
I believe some professions or jobs are in conflict with a person who wants to truly dedicate themselves to the Lord in all they do.

Does this mean that you don't believe any police officers are believers?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
There are many things that God and others do that we would prefer not doing or cannot do.

You're saying we are not to use force to defend our selves as the only acceptable action is pacifism yet you want others to shrug that off and use violence. Why should the cops not just have faith, pray and demand violent criminals stop in Jesus name rather then endanger their closeness to your deity by not being pacifists?

• Agree
Upvote 0