Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The thought of non-denominational gatherings is a misnomer in practice. It actually means to "not name", but alas christendom names themselves after all manner of ideas to uphold their values (and keep independent). The proper description of a scriptural assembly (Bible-only for "unity of the Faith") should be non-sectarian ---meaning "not adding to" the Word of God.

The various denominated sects are divided into liberal and fundamental interpretations, but even then it usually becomes man-made innovations to please all-comers and personal preferences. My hope is that all true "born again" saints will come to appreciate Bible-only as honoring and pleasing to God, in the little while we have left in this scene. I speak often of it (which sadly irritates some), but is so very important that I believe God wants such a testimony to continue. I don't want to speak against any dear saints, but I do want to share the value of taking God at His Word (which to me means a reliable rendering as the venerable Authorized -KJV Bible, which has stood the purifying study of time). Well, God bless all the dear saints everywhere as we "see the day approaching" (Heb. 10:25).

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some thoughts here on non-sectarianism by following the standard of Bible testimony, which is honoring to God:

CHURCH OVERVIEW
ASPECTS OF GOD’S COLLECTIVE TESTIMONY​
Some important things here to consider about God's collective testimony and gathering of His saints in the world. We surely should not want to be indifferent about these things. This inventory may help one see if they are in accord with the scriptural way of gathering for the testimony God has given. One then can seek to find such a fellowship in the world for blessing and to honor God. - R. DeWitt, 12/05.

1. Church truth - general, needs to be understood as an essential part of the Christian testimony, just as Redemption way and Spiritual life are, with Christ as the center and object (Jn.14:6). It is God's instruction and desires for the body of Christ --locally and in the universal church. The Church and fellowship in a locality should be seen as God's gathering in a geographical place in fellowship and extension of the the universal testimony in the world. It speaks of obedience, and such as gathering together for collective testimony --"unity of the Faith", our place and walk in the world, the Lord's glory and honor, etc.

A gathering must be fully in accord with the Word of God, and not just some similarity. Innovations and religious ideas of men have no place in the true church, and believers ought to take a stand on that. Every believer should know what the true church in the world looks like. The expression of the "one body in Christ" is essential truth, so believers must decide if they are going to be gathered on that ground, or continue with independency and sectarianism. If one will not embrace it, he/she may wander among various sects of men and choose a place one likes; however, the writer believes one will then not prosper in one's soul, and will likely suffer loss in the day of judgment (see Rom. 14:10-12; I Cor.11:19). Church truth is a call to obedience, and rebellion to it will bring loss. Is one ready to consider this?
a) We need to stop reasoning about the church, and obey God.
b) Many Christians do not read the Bible, and think the gospel message of salvation to the lost, and praising the Lord is all God expects of us.
c) Following charismatic or academic men, religious leaders, listening to nice sermons and entertaining music, participating in programs and various activities, is not of a scriptural assembly.
d) Most of what we see in the various sectarian gatherings are religious ideas of men, rather than the truth of the Word. Many innovations are added and much scripture is omitted.
e) One may contact the writer for further information on church truth.

2. Church history - overview, shows us what the New Testament assembly (church) was like, and what God intended for His redeemed people collectively in all ages --see Acts 2:41-42 and the Epistles. It is quite different from what we are seeing among the various denominated sects today and independent assemblies. In the beginning God established the Church, and after the apostles were taken up men corrupted God's testimony and brought in Jewish traditions, and allowed religious ideas to prevail. One needs to have a good understanding of church history, see God's work of revival, and be gathered in fellowship with those who also desire to keep that which is committed unto us. It is God's church and His Word is our only authority. Is one ready to accept this?
a) Every gathering has a history and one can know how it came about, and if it is true to the Word.
b) One can know if a gathering is independent and divisive of the "one body in Christ" in the world.
c) Can one appreciate that revival of the early 1800's and esteem the Word?
d) The writer can provide papers and further information on church history.

3. Church gathering - reception, must not be on the ground of popular ideas or to accommodate friends and special interests, but the Word of God, the holiness of God and His honor. If the saints are reading the Word and are yielded, they will see what honors God. The overseers in God's gatherings are appointed by Him, not men, and those properly called to the oversight should discern by examination and letters of commendation who can be received into the fellowship at the Lord's table. This is paramount to holiness, and to avoid defilement of the table, false teachings, and stumbling the gathered saints there. One must be a baptized and "born again" believer, known to be clear about essential truth, and walking in a Godly way separate from various sects; and this all takes time to know if one does not have a reliable letter of commendation. Is one ready for reception?
a) The trend in many Christian groups today is either loose and social relations to the expense of God's honor, or strict personal interpretations which goes beyond the Word and sets rules of men. One needs to see that the form of gathering is not alone the truth of gathering. We ought to honor and obey God rather than men.
b) We ought to show love and friendliness to visitors, but not embrace and include them until it is shown they desire to bow to God's Word and His honor.
c) Applicants for reception need to know what they are coming into, as well as the assembly knowing them. It is a two-way thing.
d) The writer will share further information if one is interested.

4. Church worship - collective, is in "unity of the Spirit" (Eph.4:3), and must be orderly and by the leading of the Spirit. A manner of quietness ought to prevail so as to not quench the Holy Spirit and private meditations. Preaching, activities, entertainment of the flesh, etc. is out of place in worship. The collective singing of suitable hymns of worship, prayers of thanksgiving and remembrance of the sacrifice of our Lord, humility, private devotion, and the reading of related portions of the Word, is proper and praiseworthy. The eating of the one loaf of bread and drinking of the wine together speaks of Christ's sacrifice, and is the central theme of collective worship; and it is the privilege of all faithful ones who do well. The assembly must understand and maintain these truths. Is one ready for worship?
a) Only God knows what is pleasing to Himself, so our ideas of worship are of little value.
b) The writer can send a paper on worship if one is interested.

5. Church ministry & ministers speaks of that which is of God and by God. Nothing is left to man to decide in the church for worship, order, and ministry. The Lord is in the midst (Matt. 18:20), and we need to acknowledge His presence. Is one in agreement with this?
a) The priesthood of believers (1 Pet. 2) allows all the gathered brothers to minister as led of the Spirit.
b) The sisters are to remain silent in assembly meetings as part of their calling and testimony, as God states, but they should join in the worship in song and silent prayers; and they can minister in many works, and be inspiring and of encouragement to all.
c) Ministry must be appropriate and edifying, and not to press some personal conviction, though in Bible studies one might share personal understandings in propriety.
d) A number of papers are available on scriptural ministry and the roles of each believer, if one would like to see them.

6. Church order & government ought to be esteemed by faithful saints, which must be in accord with the Word, rather than ideas of men. Elders are appointed by God to maintain God's honor and His testimony. The brothers and sisters in the fellowship have a place and function, and all brothers ought to have an exercise to speak the Word, shepherd the saints, preach the gospel, etc. The sisters ought to encourage all, be an example, and minister to various needs. This all should be understood and appreciated for God's glory and our good. Is one ready to accept this?
a) There is no such thing in God's assemblies as "majority rule", and since we sometimes don't see unanimity in a gathering, we need to also consider the judgment of godly elders.
b) Since teachers, pastors (shepherds), and evangelists (all in the plural) are gifts to the assembly, and not special titles and positions, the whole assembly ought to exercise their priesthood, and together in humility be of "one accord" and "one mind" (Phil.2:2) to consider important matters.
c) When the flesh rises up to oppose the common good and the Lord's honor, the assembly needs to judge it; however, if not unanimous the elders must conclude the matter in judgment before God (Heb.13:7 & 17).

7. Church meetings & fellowship, with the remembrance meeting for the Lord's supper on the Lord's day, which ought to be as in Acts 2:42 and the epistles; also Bible study meeting, prayer meeting, with happy fellowship for encouragement to all. A gospel meeting for preaching of salvation might be held at times, to invite the public to come and hear words of life; and children's classes are also important to help the young ones while the assembly is having a regular Bible study. Is one ready for such fellowship?
a) There are regular assembly meetings, as given, and it is good to also have times of special gatherings for fellowship, ministry, and blessing.
b) The writer would be pleased to share other information on functions.

Believers ought to want to be a part of such a worldwide fellowship, seeking to keep "all the counsel of God" (Acts 20:27), and be "rightly dividing the Word of truth" (II Tim. 2:15). God says: "Let all things be done decently and in order" (I Cor.14:40). More can be explained on this if one desires to know, but if one is satisfied with their own choices we will just leave this between that one and the Lord. - RLD: CF03 -from biblecounsel.net

This is not here for debate, but godly information. Interested readers may inquire of the writer.

Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi watchman !

The above theses on "Church" rings true with some problems. However, first some background on this author so no assumptions are made . Baptized in the Spirit at 12 years of age but belief was to church and people to guide this vessel. OT was taught and drove this vessel to insanity and rebellion under fear, guilt and continuous condemnation. A long season in sin was the result of a "Church" and people "Not' educated in guidance of the saint . God versed this saint in all manner of sin and insanity to self in providing this saint with a self destruction ... "Want" for lack of a better lexicon. To shorten this , God sent a vessel to show the errors of perception by self. Training "was" by fear in the Word and of God. Change in perception to love was brought by said vessel .

For me, to put blame on church and people sufficed for a season , yet, as you have said, it was trust, that was mislaid by self in people. Saints, preachers , elders come with humanity attached to them and we are fallible. I slipped through the cracks of a people and church that had "Good intentions" coupled to "sincere ignorance" of scripture and processes for the new saint. The above theses is written in good intentions . However, size matters in congregation. A huge beast of a church means no personal guidance for the lessons must go broad stroke format. Now comes a lesson in guilt OT for the new saint proclaiming Jesus and love. The preacher has no idea of the chaos he is churning inside the mind of the new born set in Rom 12:2. By now you probably know the denomination of church that feeds on guilt to fill the coffers.

I feel you watchman and the closest this vessel has found is in below link ...

Community Bible Church of Savannah#!

This setting is to provide training in the Word under love to let you go be witnesses. Not hold us there to fill coffers. These are some of the verses that can not be controlled by the church, Matt 22:37 Prov 3:5 Rom 12:2 1 John 4:18. If these verses are applied in truth to mind then Spirit flows and the body is in compliance to Gods will . Beautiful intentions Watchman, and believe me my friend , I wish it, in parts .

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Believers ought to want to be a part of such a worldwide fellowship
A worldwide fellowship would automatically create a denomination of sorts. Scripture reveals (a) local assemblies in each city and (b) the Church or Body of Christ, which includes all who have been saved by grace and washed in the blood of the Lamb, from Pentecost to the Rapture (regardless of affiliation).

While the churches in the apostolic age did have fellowship with one another to a greater or lesser degree, they were all directly and individually accountable to the Lord (Rev 1-3). Even the apostolic churches had false teachers and false teachings which had to be dealt with.

In this time of apostasy in Christendom, the best that can be hoped for is small gatherings of like-minded believers in local assemblies maintaining a local testimony.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I could not say that is: "the best we can hope for", my brother. I see that denominating and being sectarian cannot be said of a real scriptural assembly, and one should always seek to know if a church gathering is sectarian before joining with it. If we seek to be with what God shows for His testimony in the world, it will not be a sect, but will honor God and work for "unity of the Faith" and "no schism in the body" as God intends.

We need to see that Bible ref. to gatherings in various places speaks of geographical areas, yet all of "one accord" (Phil. 2:2; and note also 1 Cor. 1:2 & 19-20; 2 Cor. 1:1 & 11-13; Gal. 1:2; Phil. 4:22; Col. 4:15-16; etc. These are not denominated sects, but gathered saints in various cities and places as expressing the "one body in Christ" worldwide as we are enjoined even today.

We should not be trying to defend sectarianism (as Satan desires), but bow fully to the Word of God, I see. I know that most professing Christians fight against unity, but we ought to look up always for our personal place with those who value this that God has provided.

Upvote 0

FanthatSpark

LImited Understanding
Oct 3, 2013
✟78,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I could not say that is: "the best we can hope for", my brother. I see that denominating and being sectarian cannot be said of a real scriptural assembly, and one should always seek to know if a church gathering is sectarian before joining with it. If we seek to be with what God shows for His testimony in the world, it will not be a sect, but will honor God and work for "unity of the Faith" and "no schism in the body" as God intends.

We need to see that Bible ref. to gatherings in various places speaks of geographical areas, yet all of "one accord" (Phil. 2:2; and note also 1 Cor. 1:2 & 19-20; 2 Cor. 1:1 & 11-13; Gal. 1:2; Phil. 4:22; Col. 4:15-16; etc. These are not denominated sects, but gathered saints in various cities and places as expressing the "one body in Christ" worldwide as we are enjoined even today.

We should not be trying to defend sectarianism (as Satan desires), but bow fully to the Word of God, I see. I know that most professing Christians fight against unity, but we ought to look up always for our personal place with those who value this that God has provided.

That is soo beautiful watchman in concept of the Spirit. It takes a true love of God to come to a vast understanding through a God given concept above through love of the Word applied to the Church of heart/mind/spirit individuality to come to one . Individuality in choice , for in Jesus the church is now inside the individual that is a fledgling saint in the baptism of the Spirit. Right there, upon baptism is the crux of guidance in sect. We have taken the glory of the Church inside us all who hear and boxed God into a limited way to perceive the unperceivable (Tree of knowledge without Spirit = sect). I too see it watchman and the problem seems insurmountable and all that is left is HOPE. The massiveness of a mans sincere ignorance to sect that loyalties to said sect that molded the limited mind of the ID without sameness of Spirit conforms the juxtaposition of Spirit to earthly sect to defend it in its wrongness to even total death out of sincere ignorance of oneness GOD.

People are the true sect to each other, however, religion of the dollar (another sect not mentioned), for instance but not limited too, and its myriad of avenues to drown the Spirit of the unwary man/woman. Compound that religious sect to a sect that is labeled a church that preaches two masters are OK and one should sink entire being in being rich.. Man oh man Watchman!! Are we lost or what? Now comes the problem made manifest by a vessel in the Spirit in Watchman. He is struggling in the problem with no answer to it except hope. The hope is in the individuals out there that read this thread to reflect upon it, pray upon it , and see the power verses of the bible such as but not limited too Prov. 3:5 Matt 22:37 Rom:12-2 Matt 16:18 and apply these to self to know the brother/sister across the world in customs and upbringing in differences are just like you in the core being yet are lost to sect for one problem out of many in conformity of mind.

There was one named Watchman who was given by God through his love of Him and the Word made flesh who are one to show the world we "not" of one
and now there are two ! In that is the HOPE.

Upvote 0