Southeast Ohio
✟536,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
In my church we get past American Independence Day well enough, it's Veteran's Day that rankles me. Veteran parishioners join the procession, some wearing their thirty year old military uniforms, carrying their service branchs' flags, which are posted at the front of the church for the duration of the service. And God forbid we don't have a member who served in the Coast Guard or we'll scour the community until we find one, and make the poor chap become an Episcopalian for the day to carry the USCG's flag in the procession, too.

The only thing worse than nationalism is militarism. I stay home that Sunday unless I've lost track of the calendar. And if I stumble into the service by accident, I kick myself.
I served five years in the US Navy and I cringe when I see that stuff brought into the service. They have nothing to do with each other. I also can't squeeze into the dress blues anymore.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟768,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FWIW Matt made a followup video of a visit to an Episcopal church in Las Vegas. He makes some nice observations of the differences with the Anglican church he visited.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The columbarium is interesting. In this diocese we are directed to inter ashes in the earth, and (I quote from our pastoral handbook) "niches, "columbarian" walls, or arrangements which preclude the return of the mortal remains of the earth, are not authorised under Anglican auspices in this diocese."

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟536,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
There may be some legal reasons for it. When my parish got it's own building last fall, the rector wanted to immediately go to work on setting up provisions for interring cremains. Then he found out from Fr. Tom, who had worked for a local cemetery for a lengthy period of time, what the legal code was and what a headache the project will be.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,473,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are some legal regulations; we have a garden of memory for interring ashes, but you're not allowed to keep a record of who is interred where. Apparently once you do that it's formally considered a cemetery and then a whole host of other issues come into play.

Upvote 0