Status
Not open for further replies.

OnEarth

May 17, 2005
✟431.00
Faith
Non-Denom
dreambrother said:
What are some Non-denominational Christian beliefs and traditions, things of that sort?

In Christianity, the term non-denominational refers to those churches which have not formally aligned themselves with an established denomination. Non-denominational churches establish their own internal means and methods of policy and worship without interference from the policies and worship practices of regional, national, or multinational organizations. Members of non-denominational churches often consider themselves simply "Christians", and many feel at home when visiting any number of other denominational churches with compatible beliefs.

On the other hand, some non-denominational churches consciously reject the idea of a denominational structure as a matter of doctrine, insisting that each congregation must be autonomous, sometimes pointing out that in early Christianity, there were no denominations. In support of this stance, 1 Corinthians 1:10-13 is often cited. It reads:
Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, "I am of Paul," and "I of Apollos," and "I of Peter," and "I of Christ." Has Christ been divided? Paul was not crucified for you, was he? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Upvote 0

OnEarth

May 17, 2005
✟431.00
Faith
Non-Denom
dreambrother said:
Well, for example, I've heard they don't believe in praying to the virgin mary? I'm guessing they rely upon Jesus for their sole salvation and protection. Which I am now going to adapt. I consider myself simply Christian, not of any branch.

Cool are you beginning to get more in touch with God?

Praying to Mary was something that the Catholics created because they look at her as God because she gave birth to the Messiah. There is only one God. You cant have Mary as God on earth then have Jesus who actually was God. The miraculous thing about Jesus is that he controlled everything from the weather to making the blind see. I would start your prayers with "In the name of Jesus" and end them the same. I hardly adapt myself to Christianity alone im between that and Judaism but id rather leave that out of here.

Upvote 0

shinbits

Dec 4, 2005
New York
✟14,001.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
dreambrother said:
Well, for example, I've heard they don't believe in praying to the virgin mary? I'm guessing they rely upon Jesus for their sole salvation and protection. Which I am now going to adapt. I consider myself simply Christian, not of any branch.
:amen: :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

dreambrother

Feb 20, 2006
✟15,309.00
Faith
Christian
OnEarth said:
Cool are you beginning to get more in touch with God?

Yes, I am, I believe. I pray, which ever way, and I feel power. I feel like I am going to be okay, and protected.

And I've noticed that it seems ever since I've started getting closer to God, several crosses have just popped up out of nowhere, one of which I don't ever recall seeing before. Maybe this is Jesus trying to tell me something.

Upvote 0

OnEarth

May 17, 2005
✟431.00
Faith
Non-Denom
dreambrother said:
Yes, I am, I believe. I pray, which ever way, and I feel power. I feel like I am going to be okay, and protected.

And I've noticed that it seems ever since I've started getting closer to God, several crosses have just popped up out of nowhere, one of which I don't ever recall seeing before. Maybe this is Jesus trying to tell me something.

Great!

Thats good news. Im 22 and still learning alot myself. I will tell you as someone that is beginning to get in the word stronger each day expect to be taken from the bottom to the top. There will be those times when things are tough but you stay strong in prayer and belief.

Upvote 0

OnEarth

May 17, 2005
✟431.00
Faith
Non-Denom
dreambrother said:
Yes, but they're have been a few times in my mind where it seems like I'm in doubt, and I believe this is the Devil, not wanting me to believe. And I just push it aside.

I put my trust in the Lord, Jesus Christ, our savior.

:)

Yeah well the thing is that. The devil never really comes at you. They are just more so tests from God. The thing about Christianity and Judaism is that there could be no evidence at all. Its all about faith. Faith is believeing in what you dont see. Its obvious to me that God exists for reasons that I have seen. You just have to look for miracles each and everyday. There could be no evidence of God and I would still be content believeing because that is what faith is about.

Upvote 0

CrazyforYeshua

Blessed by the Best!!
Dec 4, 2005
Ohio
✟11,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Satan will come at you in any way he can, as you get closer to God, and ultimately give your life to Him. But, we remember the battle is already won, satan has no power over a child of God.
As for the OP, the beliefs of non-denom are scriptural. The only way to the Father is thru the Son, you must be born again (John 3:3). We believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, He is also our Helper, and our Teacher, in the things of God. We believe the final authority rests in Gods' word, not in a church council, or mans ideas. We believe prayer is very powerful, and opens up doors no man could. We believe when we die, we go to reside with Christ in Heaven, for all of eternity.
There are other things, but they all come from the Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HeyHomie

Senior Veteran
Jul 8, 2005
Springfield, IL
✟4,386.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There is no one set of non-denominational beliefs written down somewhere, that every non-denom congregation adheres to. The belifs are going to be different from one congregation to the other.

Here's what I think is going on, dreambrother. I think that the Catholic traditions and beliefs that were a part of your life for so long are completely absent now that you've gone non-denom. That's understandable. Culture shock and all that.

What you need to do is think of everything you can that is uniquely (or almost uniquely) Catholic. Rosaries, praying to Mary, confession to a priest, etc. Those things are not going to be present in a non-denominational congregation. It will take some getting used to, but that's OK.

Upvote 0

dreambrother

Feb 20, 2006
✟15,309.00
Faith
Christian
Actually, I only started going to a Catholic church a year ago, and went there on and off. I've turned the cheek on my Catholic faith, as I don't believe in many of their beliefs and traditions.

And actually, I've only had a rosary for about two weeks. Of which at this point, I will most likely stop using, as I feel it's not necessary to use.

I've become non denom, because I don't believe as a Christian you should have a title, and I don't believe you need one in God's eyes.

Upvote 0

GK

Love God. Love People. That Simple.
Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It all depends on the non-denom congregation. The point of non-denom is that there isn't a single list of beliefs or practices. You will find non-denom churches that are baptistic, pentecostal, neo-orthodox, evangelical, mainline or catholic in their beliefs (just mentioning a few possibilities, not a bounded set). This isn't like a denomination where everyone buys into the same set or fules/practices.

You can find non-denom churches with beliefs/theologies similar to the Catholic church. They might not be as common as those with baptist roots, but they exist.

Upvote 0

Frame1520

Dec 29, 2005
Cincinnati
Visit site
✟15,854.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I would suggest that the best way to continue your walk with God would be to read the bible as much as possible. And find someone who can help you with any questions that you may have. Not even necessarily a minister, but someone who is well versed in the bible, like a church Elder or Deacon.

Join a bible study if you can find one. Being around other believers and studying God's word will help you a whole lot in life, and everything else.

God Bless you in your walk. Always feel free to ask questions, as many, like myself are more than willing to try and help you.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SteelDisciple

Veteran
Jun 17, 2005
Washington State
✟17,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
dreambrother said:
What are some Non-denominational Christian beliefs and traditions, things of that sort?

Beliefs - What the bible teaches only. No man-made ideas. ONLY the Word of God.

Traditions - What the bible teaches. IE, baptism and communion.

Basically, no "decrees" or silly things like that. Just the pure Word of God...away from man-made tradition and ideas.

Upvote 0

Frame1520

Dec 29, 2005
Cincinnati
Visit site
✟15,854.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
SteelDisciple said:
Beliefs - What the bible teaches only. No man-made ideas. ONLY the Word of God.

Right on! :thumbsup:

Traditions - What the bible teaches. IE, baptism and communion.

Good points, however, I would contend that baptism is a command. Communion could be looked at the same way, after all, the bible says "This do in rememberence of me". A lot of churches don't believe in either or have different reasons for each.

Basically, no "decrees" or silly things like that. Just the pure Word of God...away from man-made tradition and ideas.

Yes, that's it! :amen:

Upvote 0

prophecystudent

Oct 10, 2005
✟1,313.00
Faith
Christian
The devil does, in fact, attack believers. Especially new believers. That does not mean that those attacked are helpless. Quite the contrary, they have the power to resist the devil. Christ gave it to us.

Resist the temptations that Satan puts in your path, pray for help in the challenging situations, keep your focus on Christ.

Study the Bible as much as you can. I suggest you get a good book on bible commentary to help you understand some of the "trickier" parts, especially the King James Version. The newer translations are written in more modern English and easier to follow and understand.

I am a non-denom. I find that the denominations that I have attended all to often focus on things that I find to be unbiblical.

The bible specifically warns against ritual and tradition. The problem with ritual and traditions is that they ultimately become what is worshipped, not Christ. That makes them wrong.

Too many denominations focus far too much on ritual and traditions.

Fred

Upvote 0

Frame1520

Dec 29, 2005
Cincinnati
Visit site
✟15,854.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
prophecystudent said:
The devil does, in fact, attack believers. Especially new believers. That does not mean that those attacked are helpless. Quite the contrary, they have the power to resist the devil. Christ gave it to us.

Resist the temptations that Satan puts in your path, pray for help in the challenging situations, keep your focus on Christ.

Study the Bible as much as you can. I suggest you get a good book on bible commentary to help you understand some of the "trickier" parts, especially the King James Version. The newer translations are written in more modern English and easier to follow and understand.

I am a non-denom. I find that the denominations that I have attended all to often focus on things that I find to be unbiblical.

The bible specifically warns against ritual and tradition. The problem with ritual and traditions is that they ultimately become what is worshipped, not Christ. That makes them wrong.

Too many denominations focus far too much on ritual and traditions.

Fred

Right on!:amen:

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure what other churches do I can name a few about mine

1)Believe in God, Jesus, Holy spirit

2)Salvation
3)Speaking in tongues and all that goes along
4) Having a church that is filled with Love *my church is really big on this one* plus it's a commandmant the last one and I feel most powerful one
5) That God knowes all hear all see all
6) He can deliever you out of anything
7) He is always there for you and with you
8)Tith's (which is in the bible)
9)More love
10) Of cousre the bible which is the guideline for our (christian lives)
And some mone things
11) Commuinon

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.