Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I had a post along these lines awhile ago; seems that you (and others here) may find it interesting:

Do religious discussions here make you want to be Christian?

Thank you for sharing this. I haven't been here long, but too much of what I see is unhelpful, at best. But, I take this to be somewhat endemic of the internet: everybody has a voice, but so much of what is said is not worth hearing. This very post could be a prime example. I don't know.

• Haha
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
As much as I expected.

I suppose if I an any others were truly seeking God, leaving this place would be the best thing to do.

There are plenty of people here that have found God, Know God, and have a relationship with God, just not the God that Christians make Him out to be.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm just curious about what draws someone who's not Christian to a website called Christian Forums; share as much or as little as you like! :oldthumbsup:
I was curious, and then I quickly got addicted to people giving me that "winner" rating.

Just kidding... I've always been interested in religion generally. And now and again there's some good discussion here about what Christianity means. But... there's also a lot of disturbing discussion about science and politics that provides clues to why America is in the state its in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think you misunderstand "persona."
Certainly, everyone wears a mask much of the time. In the real world, however, that mask is tempered by the fact that you'll end up fired, divorced or punched in the face if you aren't careful.
There is definitely some truth to that.

But for me the anonymity is helpful. I can share thoughts on forums that I can't share in real life. I have seen at least a half dozen psychotherapists over my life. Ideally a person should be able to share any thoughts with a psychotherapist, but in my experience it doesn't work that way. Of course the responses on forums are often nothing more than "sorry to hear that", but at least you can say what you need to say.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I'm just curious about what draws someone who's not Christian to a website called Christian Forums; share as much or as little as you like! :oldthumbsup:

Your motivation for the question is curiosity, but sometimes I wonder if the real question might be "why don't you go away, @cloudyday2? you aren't a Christian, so what are you doing here other than being a nuisance?"

Do you sense any of that sentiment among Christians or am I just being overly sensitive?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Your motivation for the question is curiosity, but sometimes I wonder if the real question might be "why don't you go away, @cloudyday2? you aren't a Christian, so what are you doing here other than being a nuisance?"

Do you sense any of that sentiment among Christians or am I just being overly sensitive?
You sometimes get this question in a debate (sometimes one unrelated to religion at all), and then it's clearly meant as a way to shut the opposition up.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

I can't speak for everyone, but for what it's worth, I can assure you that I'm not thinking in those terms. Most of my friends before college were some sort of atheist/agnostic, and I think that was part of God's plan for me to be able to communicate better with non-Christians. I was surprised when I found out how many well-meaning Christians are raised only around Christians, and how they can talk of atheists who aren't interested in religion as almost being foreign animals. I have some posts (This one included) that are directed towards my non-Christian brothers & sisters, partly as outreach. As @essentialsaltes mentioned that he wants to show Christians that atheists aren't all evil creatures with horns, I want to show atheists that not all Christians see you that way.

Dig? (Slang for: Does that make sense?)

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I originally came here for the E & M forum. Which was recommended to me by a pastor. I have an interest in ethics--biomedical ethics in particular. I worked in health care and was a member of my hospital's ethics committee for about 10 years. One of our co-chairmen was the head of pastoral services, and an ordained Methodist minister. Pastor Art was familiar with CF, and suggested I check it out. While there aren't many threads dealing specifically with medical ethics (abortion probably comes closest,) I liked the overall milieu. To me, the CF atmosphere is generally good-natured and civilized. But I also hang around the Secular Web, and often posted on Internet Infidels back in the day. I have no intention or expectation to covert anyone to my way of thinking. To be honest, I post on internet discussion forums for my own benefit. I enjoy intellectual discourse. It's good brain exercise to formulate an opinion and support it with logical and well-reasoned arguments. Learning to express your views clearly and succinctly improves your language and writing skills. Not to mention that being exposed to opinions different than, and sometimes diametrically opposed to your own expands your horizons. I always learn more from people with whom I disagree, than from those who think as I do.

And BTW, Pastor Art and I became pretty good buddies on the committee. Though he was a Protestant minister, and I was a non-believer, we almost always saw eye-to-eye on the cases that we discussed. Sadly, he died about 5 years ago. But this is proof that a Christian and an atheist can work together, can be friends, and can agree more often than they disagree. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Came here as a Christian.. although lost my faith about a year later.

I don't know why I stayed.. becoming an atheist was very hard on me psychologically and religion left me with very deep mental scars. Guess I wanted to continue having the Christian atmosphere somewhat, and I don't know.. just got accustomed to the people here.. honestly I often forget this is even a Christian forum.. just look at is an online social place.
This is pretty much my story as well. I came here as a Christian and talked and debated a lot of interesting stuff. I was exposed in a more direct way to all the different theologies out there, which probably contributed to my beginning to question my own faith. Basically, how could I be so sure I was getting the bible right? Losing faith was a horrible experience, but I'm grateful for it now. I came back here after several years to get some advice on whether or not I should come out as an agnostic/atheist to my Christian family (for the time being I've decided to let them believe I won't be suffering eternal torment).

I'm staying for the interesting threads, that is, those where people make a reasonable case for their faith or unbelief, and it's fun and enlightening to see whether my own reasoning holds up, and sometimes, especially when people are debating in a respectful manner, I actually change my mind about some things.

Sometimes I miss getting to participate in the Christians only forums, because even as an unbeliever, I obviously know that that's clearly not what Paul meant when he wrote that letter :p

Upvote 0

IntriKate

Nov 23, 2019
✟105,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I dont know what I'm doing here, I'm a christian but I wonder what the ratio is for people finding faith on this site compared with those who lose it due to the completely contrasting beliefs by Christians on the same bible. I came here to feel closer to God by learning about him and trying to understand some scripture but it seems no one knows, they just debate and argue trying to convince each other of what translation is correct. Everytime I come here I feel more and more confused and underwhelmed.

Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is pretty much my story as well. I came here as a Christian and talked and debated a lot of interesting stuff. I was exposed in a more direct way to all the different theologies out there, which probably contributed to my beginning to question my own faith. Basically, how could I be so sure I was getting the bible right? Losing faith was a horrible experience, but I'm grateful for it now. I came back here after several years to get some advice on whether or not I should come out as an agnostic/atheist to my Christian family (for the time being I've decided to let them believe I won't be suffering eternal torment).

I'm staying for the interesting threads, that is, those where people make a reasonable case for their faith or unbelief, and it's fun and enlightening to see whether my own reasoning holds up, and sometimes, especially when people are debating in a respectful manner, I actually change my mind about some things.

Sometimes I miss getting to participate in the Christians only forums, because even as an unbeliever, I obviously know that that's clearly not what Paul meant when he wrote that letter :p

Nice to here a non-theist I can relate too. Seems like many non-theists did not have much of a problem losing their faith, for most it seemed like it never really mattered to them. Which is fine, but a stark contrast from my experience. I was one of those weirdo kids who actually liked going to church and it was probably the highlight of my week. Hearing that some people here have been atheists since they were little kids is mind boggling to me. When I was a kid my mind was incredibly bathed with spiritual feelings. So thick you could try to cut the atmosphere with a knife and break it in the attempt, lol. Although it's nice to read about a diverse set of perspectives.

I can also say, being exposed to so many different theologies helped me to stumble. In fact, when I joined as a teen on CF it seemed like 90% of us became atheists/agnostics within a few years.

I don't really miss being able to participate in Christian only forums, for the most part I don't even read those threads. Heck, I rarely even talk about religion here. I have a lot to say, but much of it is probably disturbing to many posters here. I don't post in the apologetics section either. Despite being an atheist and content with it, due to my horrible experience losing my faith I don't have much of a stomach for criticizing aspects of religion. If it makes them happy, in my view they win in life. Seems like I'm also more numb to things that seem make other non-theists angry. When I hear certain Christians try to demonize non-theists, I don't really care. If they say I'm going to hell, it's like oh well.. lol.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I joined while still a Christian, albeit the more unorthodox
variety of Christian Universalist. I'm still here as a spiritual
mish-mosh of mishmoshery because, hey, why not.

-

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I began here as a Christian but deconverted pretty shortly after. By then I had grown attached to the community and I’ve always enjoyed the level of philosophical discourse that goes on here, so here I am to this day.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A few reasons. Mostly to attempt to show Christians (at least those who need this message) that atheists are people. That we're not some sort of monster with horns growing out of our heads. I probably shouldn't have picked an avatar with horns growing out of my head. Sadly, I know many of the people here who could most benefit from this message stay in the Christian-only areas, where they will be untroubled by any diversity.

Didn't think this deserved its own post, but it parallels what I was talking about dispelling myths and caricatures about atheists.

Nigerian Atheist Reveals What Christians Put Her Through

A Nigerian atheist mum and a university professor, has taken to her social media page to disclose some problems her children and herself are facing in the hands of believers.

While it's all worth reading, I think the most interesting thing she has to say is this:

The biggest challenge my kids and I face is not any despair or sadness or lack we experience in the world as non-believers. It’s the baggage others feel about us and impose upon us for being non-believers. Other people’s fear and insecurity they try and force us to carry.

Many people have a view of atheists that is entirely colored by mistaken assumptions.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well! After i had surrendered my life to Christ, with time i figured i'd need to start making some changes here and there. One of the things i decided to do, was to try and find a forum for christians where i could hangout and get to chat about Christ and the word. CF is the sort of site i was looking for to be honest.

I remember browsing around looking for sites and coming across a certain site. I then decided to join but don't think i lasted on it, even for a month. I just wasn't connecting. It felt as though i had visited a strange place, like a ghost town or something, and yet there were people on it. Then much later, when i had completely forgotten i had once prayed about it, the Lord revealed CF to me. This is why i am here.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Well! After i had surrendered my life to Christ, with time i figured i'd need to start making some changes here and there. One of the things i decided to do, was to try and find a forum for christians where i could hangout and get to chat about Christ and the word. CF is the sort of site i was looking for to be honest.

I remember browsing around looking for sites and coming across a certain site. I then decided to join but don't think i lasted on it, even for a month. I just wasn't connecting. It felt as though i had visited a strange place, like a ghost town or something, and yet there were people on it. Then much later, when i had completely forgotten i had once prayed about it, the Lord revealed CF to me. This is why i am here.
That's totally cool, but this thread is actually for non-christians.

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0