Sydney
✟27,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Debate typically revolves around controversy. And if you take any science, any philosophy, and history and you talk only about the controversies of it, and not the meat of it. You become a poor student of the actual subject. I stopped debating about a few months ago. After being banned for being rude. I noticed it was taking a heavy tole on me. Then I realized it was because of the controversy. So I typically don't debate unless it can remain very very polite. As soon as people toes are stepped on I am out. Which makes most of my debates very short.

The goal of debating is to put forward your opinion on something and to win the debate.

IMHO not healthy.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The goal of debating is put forward your opinion on something and to win the debate.

IMHO not healthy.
What , though, did the messengers of Yahweh DO in Athens (in ACTs I think) ?
Debate? Preach? Teach? Proclaim? Share? Persuade ?
And how can anyone be saved, if they do not hear? How can they hear, if no one tells them? How can anyone tell them, if no one is sent ? :)

Upvote 0

KateforChrist

Koalas are NOT bears
Nov 18, 2019
Sydney
✟27,373.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If the attitude is to win the debate, then it is for the wrong reason.

If the heart attitude is to win the debate it can be prideful which is sin.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If the heart attitude is to win the debate it can be prideful which is sin.
I agree we should not post to be right. We should be posting God's word anyway, which in case if it's right, it's for His glory not ours.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
(just from memory, haven't double checked) I thought there was something else that was where your treasure was (you posted in some other thread(s)) .... I'll double check now... and edit this out in a few minutes if appropriate....

p.s. back. Looks like money has taken position ... from posts in other threads...

Naturally not everyone would agree, but Jesus simply says even most gently: wherever someone's treasure is, that is what their heart will follow.
Sir I like investing, simply because we are on the low income side of things. So I posted in the prepper forum about a proper attitude. If you view money to get food on the table as a tool and not as an identity, it is healthy. God gives the increase but we must labor in the field. Money is only a tool. But the problem is once we get money, we forget who gave it to us, and our faith is shipwrecked. So in that case I would rather be a poor man with my Lord than to party with rich fools.

Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm just curious about what draws someone who's not Christian to a website called Christian Forums; share as much or as little as you like! :oldthumbsup:
As a Christian who participates on atheist sites, and who participates at places like this even though my views are often contrarian and inflammatory, I always have a self-defined "mission." That mission is obviously not the same on every site. A good atheist site, such as the Forum for Active and Critical Thinking Skills used to be (forget about it now - I'm talking 20 years ago), can definitely sharpen one's thinking and debating skills - plus, you might actually learn something.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
A few reasons. Mostly to attempt to show Christians (at least those who need this message) that atheists are people. That we're not some sort of monster with horns growing out of our heads. I probably shouldn't have picked an avatar with horns growing out of my head. Sadly, I know many of the people here who could most benefit from this message stay in the Christian-only areas, where they will be untroubled by any diversity.

I have a scientific background, so at first I mostly stayed in the science forums trying to dispel misinformation, faulty reasoning and pseudoscience with facts and knowledge. But then seeing the same kind of misinformation and faulty reasoning in the political areas, that drew my attention. The quality and volume of the science discussions has also died away. But still it's been interesting to me to see that there are Christians I disagree with on the politics, but agree with on the science, and vice versa. And not a few knucklehead atheists with terrible political opinions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,752.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm just curious about what draws someone who's not Christian to a website called Christian Forums; share as much or as little as you like! :oldthumbsup:

I ask myself the same question many times.

"What am I doing here?"

The latest excuse would be, it learns me to be patient,

that will say, learning when to shut up,

when at the same time wanting to comment.

It seems like at times it more like a competition,

Debating for example, winning a debate what is that like?

It is like training hard to climb Mt Everest,

scrapes and bruises etc,

and if when one reaches the top.

What is there?

Nothing.

Still I keep comimg back, why?

IDK.

Upvote 0

Elle12

Mar 3, 2019
Virginia
✟16,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
I have been looking for God for several years, and thought this site may help. It hasn't. I have found far more examples of Christ-like individuals in real life than here, and far more examples of Christians that seem nothing like Christ here.

I log on once a month or so, in the off chance that god really wants to use it to speak to me, but usually end up finding something horrific and leaving with a bad taste in my mouth.

I understand that the nature of the site is a place for all Christians to come and discuss life with other Christians. I do wish that non believers could be included in some of the conversation that is Christian-only, because that's where I usually see positive conversations among people that are like-minded like myself.

But anyways. Nothing new, I suppose.

• Agree
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have been looking for God for several years, and thought this site may help. It hasn't. I have found far more examples of Christ-like individuals in real life than here, and far more examples of Christians that seem nothing like Christ here.

I log on once a month or so, in the off chance that god really wants to use it to speak to me, but usually end up finding something horrific and leaving with a bad taste in my mouth.

I understand that the nature of the site is a place for all Christians to come and discuss life with other Christians. I do wish that non believers could be included in some of the conversation that is Christian-only, because that's where I usually see positive conversations among people that are like-minded like myself.

Both atheists and theists here can be annoying. I myself have been that a couple of times.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As a Christian who participates on atheist sites, and who participates at places like this even though my views are often contrarian and inflammatory, I always have a self-defined "mission." That mission is obviously not the same on every site. A good atheist site, such as the Forum for Active and Critical Thinking Skills used to be (forget about it now - I'm talking 20 years ago), can definitely sharpen one's thinking and debating skills - plus, you might actually learn something.

I just like to engage in dialogue. It keeps my mind engaged. I like to learn about other points of view and hope that at least some are interested in mine.

again when we do social media around controversy, peoples toes get stepped on, feelings get hurt, and even the loving christians are defensive and bitter. It's just not the greatest environment. Basically the only thing I learned was how to debate. But that is not as important as simply knowing about eternal life. I realized even later on, my debates hinged on my personal walk. When I was doubting and fearful, I would lose debates. When I was in the word daily and praying, I would win. God was fighting for me and on my behalf. Eventually i just cut the middle man of rhetoric out of the equation and realized, I only needed God. I didn't need debate tactics. So often debate is cold, unemotional and does not hinge on loving of the debate partner. Debate hinges on removing compassion of the other partner and using cold hard fact. When you remove emotion, even though you are not meaning to be mean, it comes across that way. So when you are being rude constantly through debate, it is no wonder why other people don't see the love of God. I would say 99.99% of debate ends in mocking of one side or the other, or various fallacies. So really debate is not the answer. Yes it can reveal what evidence is, but again. Debate itself is really unnecessary. When I stopped debating, and just posting God's work a huge burden was lifted off my sholders and joy came back into my life. Jesus burden is light and His yolk is easy. I rarely will browse debate forums anymore. I go to christian advice, married sections and christian living. There is no comparison between the chaff of debate and the wheat of God's will for our lives.

Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
again when we do social media around controversy, peoples toes get stepped on, feelings get hurt, and even the loving christians are defensive and bitter. It's just not the greatest environment. Basically the only thing I learned was how to debate. But that is not as important as simply knowing about eternal life. I realized even later on, my debates hinged on my personal walk. When I was doubting and fearful, I would lose debates. When I was in the word daily and praying, I would win. God was fighting for me and on my behalf. Eventually i just cut the middle man of rhetoric out of the equation and realized, I only needed God. I didn't need debate tactics. So often debate is cold, unemotional and does not hinge on loving of the debate partner. Debate hinges on removing compassion of the other partner and using cold hard fact. When you remove emotion, even though you are not meaning to be mean, it comes across that way. So when you are being rude constantly through debate, it is no wonder why other people don't see the love of God. I would say 99.99% of debate ends in mocking of one side or the other, or various fallacies. So really debate is not the answer. Yes it can reveal what evidence is, but again. Debate itself is really unnecessary. When I stopped debating, and just posting God's work a huge burden was lifted off my sholders and joy came back into my life. Jesus burden is light and His yolk is easy. I rarely will browse debate forums anymore. I go to christian advice, married sections and christian living. There is no comparison between the chaff of debate and the wheat of God's will for our lives.
The psychology and dynamics of internet forums are a longstanding interest of mine.

Everyone needs to understand that the participants aren't real people - they are internet personas. Everyone, consciously or subconsciously, adopts a persona.

The cloak of anonymity unleashes the worst in almost everyone.

Every forum is an impossible mix of ages, intelligence levels, educational levels, mental health levels, emotional maturity levels.

It's inevitably a theater of the absurd, a Monty Python skit, a zoo. This is as true of advice forums as debate forums. It's as true of golf forums and motorcycle forums as of Christian forums.

You survive and thrive by not taking it seriously. You may pick up the occasional nugget of wisdom, knowledge or insight, but fundamentally it's just a Monty Python skit.

If you get angry, frustrated or disappointed, the real problem is you. You're mistaking an internet forum for the real world, internet forum people for real people, internet forum relationships for real relationships.

• Prayers
Reactions: Elle12
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,780.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The psychology and dynamics of internet forums are a longstanding interest of mine.

Everyone needs to understand that the participants aren't real people - they are internet personas. Everyone, consciously or subconsciously, adopts a persona.

The cloak of anonymity unleashes the worst in almost everyone.

Every forum is an impossible mix of ages, intelligence levels, educational levels, mental health levels, emotional maturity levels.

It's inevitably a theater of the absurd, a Monty Python skit, a zoo. This is as true of advice forums as debate forums. It's as true of golf forums and motorcycle forums as of Christian forums.

You survive and thrive by not taking it seriously. You may pick up the occasional nugget of wisdom, knowledge or insight, but fundamentally it's just a Monty Python skit.

If you get angry, frustrated or disappointed, the real problem is you. You're mistaking an internet forum for the real world, internet forum people for real people, internet forum relationships for real relationships.
Quite contrary. We are ourselves when no one is looking, and thanks to the anonymity of the internet, we can be our truest selves there.

It is in our daily lives where we adopt personas, smiling happily in the job we hate, putting on a brave face when our children torment us with bad art and acting interested when our spouses tells us of their day.

Many people spend so much time wearing those masks that there's nothing left beneath them.

Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Quite contrary. We are ourselves when no one is looking, and thanks to the anonymity of the internet, we can be our truest selves there.

It is in our daily lives where we adopt personas, smiling happily in the job we hate, putting on a brave face when our children torment us with bad art and acting interested when our spouses tells us of their day.

Many people spend so much time wearing those masks that there's nothing left beneath them.
I think you misunderstand "persona."

Certainly, everyone wears a mask much of the time. In the real world, however, that mask is tempered by the fact that you'll end up fired, divorced or punched in the face if you aren't careful.

On an internet forum, there are no such restraints. If an internet forum brings out the 'real you,' it almost inevitably brings out the worst version of the real you. The worst consequence you face is being banned - and that's an anonymous you who's being banned anyway; on most sites, you can create a new name and be back the next day, often several times before the administrators catch on.

By "persona," I don't necessarily mean anything positive or negative. It's simply that every forum has a culture, and participants adapt to that culture. You are inevitably acting out a part an internet forum. It's a form of theater. You may wear a mask in real life, but on an internet forum you are a mask.

Your perspective on real life sounds much darker than mine, so this may account for our different perspectives on internet forums. I've studied and written pretty extensively on this, and I've never seen or heard anything suggesting that an internet forum brings out the "true self" in any positive way.

Just my $0.02, but I think I'd be focusing on the apparently highly unsatisfactory relationships with my employer, wife and children and giving internet forums a rest. I have a personal 300-post limit on any forum, which I just realized I've exceeded here.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,780.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I think you misunderstand "persona."

Certainly, everyone wears a mask much of the time. In the real world, however, that mask is tempered by the fact that you'll end up fired, divorced or punched in the face if you aren't careful.

On an internet forum, there are no such restraints. If an internet forum brings out the 'real you,' it almost inevitably brings out the worst version of the real you. The worst consequence you face is being banned - and that's an anonymous you who's being banned anyway; on most sites, you can create a new name and be back the next day, often several times before the administrators catch on.

By "persona," I don't necessarily mean anything positive or negative. It's simply that every forum has a culture, and participants adapt to that culture. You are inevitably acting out a part an internet forum. It's a form of theater. You may wear a mask in real life, but on an internet forum you are a mask.

Your perspective on real life sounds much darker than mine, so this may account for our different perspectives on internet forums. I've studied and written pretty extensively on this, and I've never seen or heard anything suggesting that an internet forum brings out the "true self" in any positive way.

Just my $0.02, but I think I'd be focusing on the apparently highly unsatisfactory relationships with my employer, wife and children and giving internet forums a rest. I have a personal 300-post limit on any forum, which I just realized I've exceeded here.
Bye bye.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I wonder how many have become atheist or agnostic because of these threads.

I had a post along these lines awhile ago; seems that you (and others here) may find it interesting:

Do religious discussions here make you want to be Christian?

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Elle12

Mar 3, 2019
Virginia
✟16,498.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
Upvote 0