• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Nominate the Best or Favorite regional restaurant of your area

Discussion in 'Cooking and Culinary Arts' started by Pavel Mosko, Jul 24, 2021.

1. Pavel Mosko

Pavel Mosko Arch-Dude of the Apostolic Supporter

+4,609
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    For the part of PA I moved to it is definitely the Shady Maple smorgasbord. It's an Amish buffet with good old PA Dutch homecooking but on a grand scale. I heard it is the biggest buffet in the US, and I believe it because the seating and food counters are about x4 large of what you normally think of as your typical "large buffet" in a city. Anyway here a good video that shows what the place is like.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+11,578
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Madar Afghan Street Food is my favorite so far of the many, and mean many Afghan food options we have in my city (Sacramento, CA). We're kind of spoiled for choice for Afghan food in particular because we have such a big Afghan community here (they have their own section of the local library, with books in their languages, and there's a place that specifically does tax preparation for Afghans, and all this stuff like that; it's really interesting). The Russians are the other major group you're likely to run into in my neighborhood and they seem like they're a little bit more defuse (or maybe just more integrated because they've been here longer), but they still have their own restaurants and shops like Firebird and Teremok. My absolute favorite food is Ethiopian, though, and for that we 'only' have three restaurants that I know of in the whole city: Queen Sheba, Abyssinia, and Habesha. I've been to the first two and they were both quite good, so I suspect that the last is as well. Just haven't made it over there yet.

For Tacos, every Sacramentan (Sacramentoan?) I've met swears by Chando's, and yeah...I get it. Delicious. They also make a great elote, when available. Beto's is also good, like if the line is too long at the nearest Chandos or something.

And if we're not in a fast, you can wash it all down with a big ol' Leatherby's milkshake. The first time I went there (for my birthday last year) I made the mistake of ordering both a milkshake and food because I didn't know any better, and yeah...that food did not get eaten the same day. Hahaha.

3. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+14,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    Alinea

4. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+14,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    The French Laundry

Anthony Bourdain dines with three friends: Michael Ruhlman, Eric Ripert, and Scott Bryan. They’re hilarious. Start at 5:02.

5. Pavel Mosko

+4,609
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    I only know about that place because of a certain errant California governor, may he be voted out of office in this coming recall election. :)

6. Pavel Mosko

+4,609
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
  7. dzheremi

+11,578
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Ehhhhhh, come on akhy, we're all just trying to eat food here! :p Or are you trying to recreate the arguing part of the Agape meal here? :D

8. dzheremi

+11,578
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    Holy moly, that looks delicious! If I'm ever in Sunnyvale for whatever reason, I know where I'm going! Thank you!

9. Anthony2019

Anthony2019 Pax et bonum! CF Ambassadors Supporter

+9,586
    United Kingdom
    Anglican
    Single
    Mad O'Rourkes Pie Factory!

10. Pavel Mosko

+4,609
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    That's funny I recognize that term from the Assyrians, I guess brother is the same in Syriac and Arabic.

11. dzheremi

+11,578
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    It sure is. I don't know sister in Assyrian, but I would guess it probably looks pretty close to ukhty.

12. Pavel Mosko

+4,609
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    Is it like Tassoni?

13. dzheremi

+11,578
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    No, Tasoni is Coptic, not Arabic.

14. Pavel Mosko

+4,609
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    wow I was expecting kind of your typical French haute white table cloth place, while that place is got the whole Iron Chef thing going, like a Myers Briggs NT wanting to deconstruct and reconstruct that kind of cuisine in a good way.

15. Pavel Mosko

+4,609
    United States
    Oriental Orthodox
    Single
    in that case maybe it might be some feminine ending form of Akhi... ?

16. bèlla

bèlla ❤️ Supporter

+14,352
    United States
    Non-Denom
    In Relationship
    He’s incredible. He worked for Charlie Trotter and Thomas Keller. You expect genius. If you have Netflix you can see him on Chef’s Table. They went behind the scenes. :)

~bella

17. dzheremi

+11,578
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Akhi is first person singular (the -i ending makes it possessive: akhi 'my brother', bayti 'my house', ismi 'my name', etc.) From what I can tell without digging into my books, modern Neo-Aramaic is the same in first person singular (it's also -i), but different in every other conjugation.

18. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,371
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Kelly's Fish House in Naples Florida. Fresh from the boat fish. When I am in south Florida this place is a must for me. Right next to Kelly's Shell Shack which has shells from around the world. Right off the Tamiami Highway just as it turns east towards Miami. Right on the water in downtown Naples. Excellent fish. My only regret is I live so many states away. So not my area but I have been there about ten times over the years.

19. Red Gold

Red Gold Well-Known Member

+160
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
    I find it difficult to name just ONE restaurant, when there are so many good restaurants in my area.
    I live close to France - and close to the Black Forest in Germany.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. Red Gold

Red Gold Well-Known Member

+160
    Germany
    Catholic
    Married
    If it is Amish - maybe they also do some German-style cooking? :)