Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I've joked with some friends that by gosh these social worker psychologist better KNOW their stuff and studied it well. EVERY WORD has got to count. If they've read How To Win Friends and Influence People they better know it like the back of their hand and don't mess up once! One slip and they might find themselves in trouble. Nothing for self defence except words.

Because in America it is best to enter into all interactions assuming a GUN is needed sooner or later.

Upvote 0

istodolez

Jun 7, 2020
Washington
✟24,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well they know their stuff in the right situations. When the person is there to see them voluntarily or they are there in a controlled environment. But on the street in the dark with someone going crazy, under the influence they will be lost. When the person has been violent and is threatening to be violent they will be helpless.
When the argument has gotten out of hand and the fight has already started and they arrive, it will be too late for them to calm it down.

But like I said. Let's give it a shot. What do we have to lose?

Ummm, are you folks familiar with psychiatric facilities? Do you think all the nurses and doctors in a psych ward are packing heat "just in case"?

But more the point: you seem to have some cartoon view of the situation. The point here isn't that we just turn meek psychologists loose on the streets to clean up our cities, but rather have mental healthcare PROFESSIONALS available to offset just more police officers.

The goal here is trade out some of the "cop-with-a-gun" people for people who understand how to identify and react to severe mental crises. (Because SOMETIMES just shooting the person dead or beating them to a pulp to get them into the car isn't the best way to solve the problem!)

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,458.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Ummm, are you folks familiar with psychiatric facilities? Do you think all the nurses and doctors in a psych ward are packing heat "just in case"?

But more the point: you seem to have some cartoon view of the situation. The point here isn't that we just turn meek psychologists loose on the streets to clean up our cities, but rather have mental healthcare PROFESSIONALS available to offset just more police officers.

The goal here is trade out some of the "cop-with-a-gun" people for people who understand how to identify and react to severe mental crises. (Because SOMETIMES just shooting the person dead or beating them to a pulp to get them into the car isn't the best way to solve the problem!)

Umm... Ive visited mental health facilities and have family that have worked in them. You know who they have there working with the doctors? They have orderlies that physically control violent people and they are in an enclosed environment. They also have drugs they can give those people. Can't so that on the street.

Like I said I have my doubts, but it's worth a try. I just think a 50% cut is just dumb until you know if it's going to work. Get a couple of them on the street for a year and see how it goes before committing to something you have no idea if it'll work.

Upvote 0