Sebring, FL
✟666,187.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Most Christians know about John 3:16 and can recite the verse (or at least tell what it is about)

But if you ask Christians what they know about belief, you'll mostly get confusing answers.

That's because they never knew about John 14:12.

John 14:12
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

Why this incredibly important verse recieved incredibly small attention in our religion is a mystery but one could guess the reasons why.

John 3:16 is meaningless without John 14:12. It tells you the importance of belief which is meaningless if you don't know what belief is. Hence, the importance of John 14:12.

I have heard a Baptist minister preach on this passage, John 14:12. I don't agree that John 3:16 is meaningless without it.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Ken C.

Mar 28, 2019
Rock Hill
✟11,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Most Christians know about John 3:16 and can recite the verse (or at least tell what it is about)

But if you ask Christians what they know about belief, you'll mostly get confusing answers.

Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

Why this incredibly important verse recieved incredibly small attention in our religion is a mystery but one could guess the reasons why.

John 3:16 is meaningless without John 14:12. It tells you the importance of belief which is meaningless if you don't know what belief is. Hence, the importance of John 14:12.

After reading all the posts on this subject, I must conclude that some have tried to avoid the obvious teaching about miracles in John 14:12 by focusing attention on Jesus' statement that believers would do greater works than Him. They say that reaching more people than Jesus ever did by the Gospel being preached over the internet, radio, and television and the printed page are the greater works.

Even if these are the greater works that Jesus referred to, that would not void Jesus' statement in the same sentence that believers would do the same works that the Word recorded operating through Jesus will also operate through those who believe. Failure to see the miraculous power of God in our lives is our fault, not God's.

The only reason we don't see more miracles today is not that God doesn't will to do them but rather because very few believe.

Through those who believe, God is still healing the sick, raising the physically dead to physical life again, casting out devils, and taking charge of the elements as He did through Jesus and the apostles in those days. This scripture out of John and the verses out of Mark 11:22-24 will never fit into a theology that says miracles are not for today.

Remember, God is not a respecter of persons and he never changes. Ladies and gentlemen, I have personally seen and experienced that these verses are true and there is nothing that anyone else says will make me believe otherwise.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I would imagine someone open minded would consider the use of both supernatural and technological gifts whenever possible in order to achieve the best outcome.

Even Jesus told His disciples to buy swords.

Even though material things and money represents this dark world, what really makes them evil is how you use them. If used to give yourself a good life or to take advantage of others, then it's evil.

If you're selling life-saving medicines at an incredible cost, then it's evil (you're serving the rich and oppressing the poor in that case). But sell it a cost that is justified and fair then it's good. Even better if the poor can make use of it without costing them an arm and leg.

If you do what is right, it's a lot harder to be rich in this dark world. But if you're rich in this dark world, it's a lot harder to find the way to life.

Even Neo plugged back in after he was unplugged (to use your Matrix analogy).

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Some would see John 14:12 as referring to spiritual gifts, and not as fruits (works) of righteousness. I tend to lean towards the thought that Jesus was referring to righteous acts or deeds. To love God and to love your neighbor are the two greatest commandments (Which produces the greatest works).

I am reminded of how Jesus pointed to how He was the bread of life to those who merely sought after just wanting to have more miracle bread to be amazed by the miracle with their eyes and to fill their physical stomachs (and yet, they did not have eternal life, i.e. the spiritual bread).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most probably because John 14:12 calls us into actual action once we have been saved.

In the verse, Jesus assures his disciples that every believer in him would be enabled to perform the same works that he he'd done, and even greater works than he'd done before them.

The apostles and the disciples did miracles like those of Jesus. They healed the diseased, they cast out demons, they raised the dead. And this to testify to their teaching's truth.

Every believer in Jesus is filled with power from God to do greater signs than Jesus himself, namely, to awaken people from spiritual death. To convert sinners, to rescue people from damnation, that's a greater miracle than healing from bodily infirmities and awakening from temporal death.

The Church's gathering through the Gospel's preaching, didn't begin until after Pentecost. And the reason why the believers can do these great works of saving souls is found in the fact that Christ's going to God. He will then use of his divinity, and will impart to the believers in him this power which he here promises them.

The great works of converting sinners are Christ's works. And in case the believers, at any time feel their own weakness do the great works which have been given to them, they should ask, they should bring the matter to his attention. He'll attend to the rest.

He fixes no limit in giving this promise except that the prayer must be made in his name, which excludes all sinful petitions. Christ hears every prayer in his own manner. And by doing so, since God works in him, God's glorified in Jesus.
Agree with your observation. However, when you are given that right to call on God The Father, an early lesson for me was, Thy Will Be Done. There is a big period after Thy Will Be Done. I’ve witnessed many miracles but faith must be Faith. Christ performed many miracles and His disciples also have, through Christ, also performed many miracles. I learned the lesson harshly and quickly and it was extremely important that I did.

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is not hard to do as Jesus commanded without the need for miracles and the like, and simply put the will of God before our own and as individuals, love all as self. Those two commandments go against what man has used as an ideology to build this world in our image.
Not hard? Hmmm...

May I then ask a question to all who may agree with this statement? If it is simply to put the will of God before our own, and to then love others as we love ourselves, it then begs a question each one of us must answer in our prayer closets. The question is..... are we? Are we truly loving others as we love ourselves? Are we willing to turn the slapped cheek to receive another stinging blow? Are we willing to forgive our brother 70 times 7? I could go on and on but you get my point.

Was the sermon on the mount commands.... or were they just "goals" we should strive for but never actually hit? I do not point this out to judge or criticize any. I am trying to make a point.

You say that we do not need a miracle to obey. I content rhat we need the greatest miracle of all..... a new nature that not only wants to obey but finds it indeed can do so. I contend that the sermon on the mount is neither a list of commands NOR goals. It is a list of promises that have been hidden from our eyes ever since the grievous wolves entered the flock after the death of Paul.

God is even now beginning to awaken us as to the HOW of holy living..... the HOW of bearing fruit that actually does fulfill the love called for in the sermon on the mount.

But until we can admit that, despite our best intentions, self still gets in the way of agape love flowing out from us, we are failing miserably as to lovong our neighbor as ourselves, we will continue to walk as carnal believers.

In the book of Acts, men in the world exclaimed "Behold how they love one another!" Do we see that same occurance today? No. But praise God, change is in the wind and as we awaken to who we are in Christ and who we no longer are, and ARM ourswlves with that truth, we shall again experience the joy of loving one another as Christ loves us, just as they did in the early church.

blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Of course it is not easy. We will all stumble. But it is important to switch allegiance from the traditional self serving ways of mankind to the ways of the Kingdom, if not only in deed , but first and foremost in heart. So many Christians refuse to let go of their politics, strife and division and instead seek ways to unify and help as a default way of life. They are still building a new Rome instead of the Kingdom. No better than the Jews looking for a secular king. Are they being seen as haters of mankind like the original Christians or have they chosen a side within man's system? Where is the switch of allegiance from world man has made in our image to the Kingdom of God?

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Some would see John 14:12 as referring to spiritual gifts, and not as fruits (works) of righteousness. I tend to lean towards the thought that Jesus was referring to righteous acts or deeds. To love God and to love your neighbor are the two greatest commandments (Which produces the greatest works).

I reminded of how Jesus pointed to how He was the bread of life to those who merely sought after just wanting to have more miracle bread to be amazed by the miracle with their eyes and to fill their physical stomachs (and yet, they did not have eternal life, i.e. the spiritual bread).

I think fear is the number one factor...who wants to risk death; or being ridiculed; or slandered; or accused; or, the most scary, the temptation that the enemy fell into?

Unlike the Pharisees, the Messiah did nothing for show unto fame or vainglory.

*He did what had to be done for the benefit of others.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think fear is the number one factor...who wants to risk death; or being ridiculed; or slandered; or accused; or, the most scary, the temptation that the enemy fell into?

Unlike the Pharisees, the Messiah did nothing for show unto fame or vainglory.

*He did what had to be done for the benefit of others.

I agree. But it is true that Jesus criticized those who were seeking him to just have more miracle bread when Jesus was desiring them to seek Him (i.e. the spiritual bread from Heaven; Meaning life in Him). This truth is applicable even today. There are those who are seeking more after the mriacles than they are truly seeking to follow Jesus in what He says.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If Jesus is saying we today will be able to do greater works than He, why didn't the disciples in Joppa pray over Tabitha and raise her from the dead?

The disciples at Joppa heard that Peter was nearby at Lydda. They sent two men to Peter, imploring him to come to them without delay. (Acts 8:38)

If the disciples in Joppa thought that they could simply ask Jesus to raise Tabitha from the dead and it would be done, wouldn't they have prayed for this themselves.

They instead sent for Peter who was present with Jesus when He said "Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it."

It seems to me that the disciples in the first century understood that Jesus had given the original disciples more authority than the rest of the believers.
I would not counsel to interpret the scripture to facilitate unbelief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well to say "nobody" is not true. MANY do..."In order to expose evil, one must know what is evil first." Where do you get this? Well what did the 12 KNOW about EVIL when He sent them out 2 by 2?

Some things I read here.. about "John 14 13:" Not sure..well I dont know where you came up with "lords work". And "They can also pull the same kind of miracles that Christians would expect".

What did they say about Jesus was the devil casting out demons? A kingdom divided against its self will fall. The same goes for Satan. He does not go around with sickness...to then heal it. He can not do ANY miracles that Christians would expect. Where is this written that Satan can do this? When SOMETHING is taken out of the way.. THEN the lawless one comes out in the open and does LYING (key word) wonders.

Satan has powers we dont know of. What ever God gave him. But ANYTHING that has to do with GOOD in any way he cant do it. ALL good things come ONLY from God. Again Satan does not give sickness to then heal it.. or his kingdom would fall.

Its that NAME! As Peter and John said.. why look on us as if we did this under our own power. Its FAITH in that name..they said. Did not Jesus say.. WHO SO EVER...and IN MY NAME... the next words were CAST OUT DEMONS! Its IN JESUS NAME! His power all Him.

Not here to pick on you lol or say I AM RIGHT. Only what is written..but "material things and money represents this dark world" this is a truth yet not. Did we miss all the promises in Gods word about just money? Its not having being RICH or materials is wrong..its the LOVE for them 1st. Really? Do we know who are GOD is? GOLD STREETS really? On earth as it IS IN HEAVEN... you dont just pick what you want.. its AS IT IS period.

Skewed keeps popping up when I read here.. no clue.. could be wrong. But VIEW also comes with it.. anyway.. bless you.. many preachers are doing living this..many are not. But what HE started.. is being will be finished.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

Humans have been taught to underestimate their awe, and to put their power and trust in other humans. This dampens sense of self, and for the Christian it projects sovereignty to an other - when we should be cultivating it ourselves under the Most High God.

What Christ did is what should be done by basic sons of God/humans; that is why the tone is "It's no big deal; you all will do bigger and better things" because a human son of God at base should be able to heal the sick and cast out real demons - with faith and an alignment to the Most High God.

Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
They also knew more of the Truth than the rest of us. I think there's a strong correlation between knowing the Truth and the magnitude of miracles you can pull off.

Unfortunately, not all of these are written in the Bible. It's impossible - John 21:25. Something that must be revealed to us by the Spirit of Truth (John 16:13) and through our own efforts of digging information about the truth of the world we live in.

It's very similar to the film The Matrix. Neo wasn't able to pull the "supernatural" feats of strength until he came to know more about the truth of the world they lived in.

Most Christians don't know much of the Truth. John 14:12 is case in point. Other verses like 1 John 2:15-17 would probably surprise them. Even preachers themselves.

They look at the wrong signs to determine they are in a good spot - Luke 6:25.

Christianity is in a very very bad shape because it no longer knows and preaches the Truth. If they do, the verses I put here would be familiar to them and actually live it. This is why many never had any supernatural manifestations. Their souls are locked up by materialism (usually) and never gets free.

Remember, also, the more faith the other characters had in Zion's future, the One, and Morpheus' message, the more equipped they were to fight the demons agents.

The movie was an arcane odyssey into masonry and "sacred" math.

• Agree
Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,716.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Exactly right! Believe in a message or story etc shows that you understood the message but also you speak or tell that message to others as if you are the source of that message. So in John 3:16 and John 14:12 but also the rest of the teaching of the Gospel is for us to BELIEVE in that message. The message of Redemption of mankind but also the everlasting life that comes from being redeemed - That is the GOOD NEWS for those who know they are slave (slave to sin) or sinners BUT being set free or redeem to live a life forever.
Believe is the result of the work of the Holy Spirit Not man..The Holy Spirit is the Annointed that teach the message about Christ to those whom belong to Christ to be like Him. So the message must be understood within our HEART so we can speak or proclaim or act according to that teaching as if Christ lived and indeed live amongst us today and it's a growth process just like little children growing to become mature man or woman. So also our understanding of Christ to grow until Christ is FORMED in Us (Galatians 4:19)..
So when Christ fully formed in Us, as the result of our understanding of Him then we are Just Like Him- We are like Him the IMAGE and LIKENESS of God our Father..1John 2:6 If we claim to live God we Must live as JESUS did...So whatever works Jesus did we can also do showing to the world we are Children of the MOST HIGH..

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Remember, also, the more faith the other characters had in Zion's future, the One, and Morpheus' message, the more equipped they were to fight the demons agents.

The movie was an arcane odyssey into masonry and "sacred" math.

Masonry is Jewish. You will notice the many references in the movie to the Old Testament. Their stronghold called "Zion" their ship named "Nebuchadnezzar".

If you notice an sacred math, this might be a reference to the Kaballah, which is again Jewish.

Central to the Jewish faith are the symbols Hexagram and a Cube (Tefillin). The two are closely related in geometry and the cube is a clear cut representation of matrices (or matrix).

It's no surprise the movie has many parallels to the Judeo-Christian faith. And to my personal experiences and observation, the movie has quite a lot of truths in it. Albert Einstein realized what is going on around us. Although he wasn't at liberty to discuss more of it in depth (would ruin his reputation as a celebrity scientist). Stuff that scientists avoid like a plague out of fear of losing their careers.

• Winner
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Most people don't even realize the system this world uses to make money is evil. Many Christians even think that material wealth are blessings from God when the Bible clearly says they are not - 1 John 2:15-17.

What system is that? Are you not confusing money with the love of money? What is evil about someone having a skilled job that has a good salary? Why can't they count that as a blessing from God?

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Kaon

Mar 12, 2018
Los Angeles
✟111,507.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate
What system is that? Are you not confusing money with the love of money? What is evil about someone having a skilled job that has a good salary? Why can't they count that as a blessing from God?

Mammon was a real god. It goes beyond the love of money. The system that exists globally is a preview to the Beast system.

It is what the world has never been able to pull off since Babylon.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

The "system" are basically the entities that handle most of the world's money and I'm not just talking about banks and also includes many other forms of profit-making businesses as well.

They make their money by taking advantage of the weak - traditional business strategy - exactly the opposite of how we should be treating the weak.

It's okay to work for anyone, run a business, make money, etc.... What makes money evil is where you decide to spend it.

And where you spend your money is what sets apart whether you're working for God or only for yourself.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

First, I must ask...what religion? Catholics hear this and teach it all the time. But it's all kinda meaningless without the crucifixion, and John 6.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We have many hard-working preachers around the world so it can be mysterious why John 14:12 escapes even their attention.

Perhaps, the influence of the devil is far stronger upon many than we like to think or imagine (and we fatally lower our guard, fail to be vigilant, stop testing). We take it easy while the devil is working 24/7 very hard.... Many might lose. As the Bible have said maybe plainly true, only few will find life.
I bet it's more like leading by example. Do as I do.

Upvote 0