Noah - was he just surpressing his true self?

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
The god depicted in these stories is powerful, angry, violent, judgmental, white, male. It's very clear who this god appeals to, and why these same people wish to recreate all men in their own image. It's much easier to try to change others when powerful people feel entitled to have things their way. They are unable of getting along with other types of people, so they create a god in their own image who demands everyone to be like him.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Such garbage. If this really were the word of a god, you would think that that god's followers would be more vigilant about translating it correctly. Yet they teach the story to children. I'm not buying it. The whole idea is nonsense.
Noah cursed Ham's line after "he saw what he had done." What remained after Ham had done something? Noah sobered up and saw something.

OK.... Sunday School teachings? Or?
The Bible is also for adults. Also mature adults.

The Bible is about REAL life and what happens to sinners.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The god depicted in these stories is powerful, angry, violent, judgmental, white, male.

But, only when he needed to be
a powerful, angry, violent, judgmental, white, male.

I suppose you never did anything terribly wrong in your life?

But, others have. God must deal accordingly.

God is that way to protect those who wish and desire to do good.. To do good like those mentioned in the following passage. Its said by the same God whom you just vilified in ignorance.

The Lord appeared to us in the past, saying:

“I have loved you with an everlasting love;
I have drawn you with unfailing kindness."
Jeremiah 31:3

Ironically... God violently hates those who would want to bully you... to torment you.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Noah cursed Ham's line after "he saw what he had done." What remained after Ham had done something? Noah sobered up and saw something.

OK.... Sunday School teachings? Or?
The Bible is also for adults. Also mature adults.

The Bible is about REAL life and what happens to sinners.

What he "saw" was a covering. The blanket the two other sons covered him with. I see a lot more association to the covering that God had made for Adam and Eve in this story. This is just a continuation of that story. But I think that both stories represent the attack on the first temple.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You might not like my more symbolic interpretation, but it would link Ham to the serpent in the garden, since both of them were more interested in uncovering and showing a person's shame.

Its not even symbolic. Its fantasy. Inane reasoning. Like pulling pink, sickly rabbits, out of your hat.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Its not even symbolic. Its fantasy. Inane reasoning. Like pulling pink, sickly rabbits, out of your hat.

Ezekiel 26

But I think you will find yourself feeling "sickly" from reading it, if you don't like my reasoning. Because it's no different.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I suppose you never did anything terribly wrong in your life?

I never did anything terribly wrong, no.

But, others have. God must deal accordingly.

So what "terribly wrong" thing did the babies and toddlers do that justifies the divine commandment to go and kill them all? And what about the virgin girls that were to be taken as "war booty" and enslaved? Or the cattle, which also had to be exterminated?

Ironically... God violently hates those who would want to bully you... to torment you.

yes, like the babies and toddlers of some particular ethnicity.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So what "terribly wrong" thing did the babies and toddlers do that justifies the divine commandment to go and kill them all? And what about the virgin girls that were to be taken as "war booty" and enslaved? Or the cattle, which also had to be exterminated?

What if they were saturated with incurable venereal diseases that only God knew about?

After all... these ancients pagans had sex with everything and anything... as their religions!

And, I do mean anything. Why do you think God had to warn His people not to do what the pagans around them did without any conscious?

Why do you think sex with animals had to be prohibited to Israel? It was all around them. With impunity. You would vomit if a time machine could transport you back to that place in time to see how pagans lived. Its one reason the Jews developed a strong disdain for the Goyim back then... Bit, not always. When Israel was seduced by paganism (like the USA was to some extent in the sixties)... God would judge severely His own people as shown in the OT Scriptures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Such garbage. If this really were the word of a god, you would think that that god's followers would be more vigilant about translating it correctly. Yet they teach the story to children. I'm not buying it. The whole idea is nonsense.

Some are vigilant in translating. Its what got Martin Luther attacked by the Catholic church.

Teachings are there waiting to be found. The real problem? Too many believers are not vigilant in seeking out anything beyond a Sunday school type of emotional experience.

A prosperous, comfortable people, who desire to be pampered by life will run and hide from learning about the very things Jesus died on the Cross to save us from. They think God saved them because they are such lovely people.

The worst offenders are the blinded self righteous types that see others as being the sinners, not themselves. These "moralistic ones" were the very ones who opposed Jesus. Just like certain people do today with their naive self righteous way of thinking.

Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Some examples, please.

They believe that they must pay tithes and offerings to the church. The threat may not be so forceful, but the essence is the same. A "Christian" who doesn't tithe is not a true believer, right? Otherwise he would be giving cheerfully, wouldn't he.

Fishers of men-who-work-for-a-living, that is what the church has always been. Even the gospel writers could see through the nonsense.

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They believe that they must pay tithes and offerings to the church. The threat may not be so forceful, but the essence is the same. A "Christian" who doesn't tithe is not a true believer, right? Otherwise he would be giving cheerfully, wouldn't he.

Fishers of men-who-work-for-a-living, that is what the church has always been. Even the gospel writers could see through the nonsense.

The Bible teaches we are to support those who study and teach us well.

Are you saying you think Martin Luther made that up? He never taught that you can buy your way to heaven like the RCC did with indulgences. He taught against it. I think you are confused terribly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

In spite of what some churches teach today, tithing is not for the church. Tithes were the OT income tax to be paid into the federal theocracy of Israel. Offerings in contrast to tithes were what was above and beyond, and according to how one desires to give.

Offerings are for the church... to give according to how each person determines in his own heart. Our income tax now goes to the government you find your yourself living under. No more theocracy.

Upvote 0

Uber Genius

"Super Genius"
Aug 13, 2016
Kentucky
✟56,826.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just because your literalistic interpretation is the most popular doesn't make it right. Popularity doesn't mean that it is divine or holy. Have you ever heard that the road to destruction is a wide road?
I have made no such hermeneutical commitments. It is bad form to misrepresent someone's argument and then attack that misrepresentation of your own creation (logical extension fallacy/A.K.A "a strawman argument")

Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟76,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have made no such hermeneutical commitments. It is bad form to misrepresent someone's argument and then attack that misrepresentation of your own creation (logical extension fallacy/A.K.A "a strawman argument")
He has been doing that terribly with the Bible. So, why not a mere human being?

Upvote 0