Noah - was he just surpressing his true self?

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Noah was portrayed as the perfect obedient son. But after he got drunk he began to show his true self. The younger son was the only one who wanted to even see what he was like on the inside ("inside" the cave) that he kept hidden from others. Then he cursed and banished that son because he had dared trying to show his brothers that Noah had a side that was different than the whitewashed facaded he showed the world on the outside. All of that anger which had been bottled up inside.

What do you think of the fact that Noah repressed his true feelings and that he was really a very angry person? Perhaps this was a portrayal of those who are obedient and religious in nature? Are they just repressing their true selves?

• Agree
Reactions: Aseyesee

LaSorcia

Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We hear lots of great stuff about Noah, and only one curse from him. I don't think that's enough evidence to say he was repressing his true self and that he was an outwardly obedient person who was seething with anger inside.

Also, there are some other factors involved. It is often translated that his son "uncovered the nakedness of" Noah, not just that he saw him nude. This same phrasing is used numerous times in the law to mean sexually shaming someone, either by sleeping with their partner or at the wrong time, etc. If his son did something other than just seeing him nude, which I do think is implied, Noah had every right to be ticked off.

Another point is that this is a literary plot device for a prophecy on why Shem (the Jews) will rule over Ham (the Caananites) later in the bible. By saying it's a plot device doesn't mean I think the story is only a myth.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
He never revealed himself on the inside until he got drunk.
So you don't have anything other than he was a sinner. Just like the rest. So your premise is false, unless you have something else.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
We hear lots of great stuff about Noah, and only one curse from him. I don't think that's enough evidence to say he was repressing his true self and that he was an outwardly obedient person who was seething with anger inside.

Also, there are some other factors involved. It is often translated that his son "uncovered the nakedness of" Noah, not just that he saw him nude. This same phrasing is used numerous times in the law to mean sexually shaming someone, either by sleeping with their partner or at the wrong time, etc. If his son did something other than just seeing him nude, which I do think is implied, Noah had every right to be ticked off.

Another point is that this is a literary plot device for a prophecy on why Shem (the Jews) will rule over Ham (the Caananites) later in the bible. By saying it's a plot device doesn't mean I think the story is only a myth.

Proof that Christians have to add to the words of the Bible to make it fit their doctrines.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Radhead, I really don't mean to sound harsh but have you ever read the bible before? This is an honest question because I feel like your information is so wrong I just can't help the thought that you get all your information about the bible from Hollywood or something. My recommendation to you is simple, for now on, before you make another thread on this forum, read the bible first.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Proof that Christians have to add to the words of the Bible to make it fit their doctrines.
That doesn't make sense. Every language and culture has idioms; I was just explaining this one.

Yes, some ppl are guilty of seeing whatever they want to in a text, but that's not what happened here.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Wait, didn't you add to the bible to make your point in the OP?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

radhead

Contributor
Feb 20, 2006
✟63,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Radhead, I really don't mean to sound harsh but have you ever read the bible before? This is an honest question because I feel like your information is so wrong I just can't help the thought that you get all your information about the bible from Hollywood or something. My recommendation to you is simple, for now on, before you make another thread on this forum, read the bible first.

Typical fundamentalist. Insult anyone whom you don't agree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We both read from the same text. The only difference is that the fundamentalist sees Noah as a hero.

Jesus said basically that the truth is hidden in parables to those who refuse to believe the truth. So they just accept the parable as a literal story.
The text doesn't say anything about who and who isn't a hero. It just says what happened.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0