NOAA Global Climate Report for 2017 – (It’s getting warmer)

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
NOAA Global Climate Report for 2017 – (It’s getting warmer)

The U.S. based National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has recently published its annual Global Climate Report for 2017.

A summary of the report is available at:
https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/news/global-climate-201712

For the full report go to Global Climate Report - Annual 2017 at: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201713

This is a brief summary of some of the global and regional highlights/anomalies /records detailed in the Report:

Global highlights/records
  • 2017 was the third warmest year on record, since recording began in 1880, behind 2016 and 2015
  • Including 2017, the six warmest years on record have all taken place since 2010
  • 2017 is the 41st consecutive year with temperatures above the overall average for the 20th century
  • From 1880 to 1980 a new temperature record was set, on average, every 13 years. For 1981 to 2017 a new record was set, on average, every three years
  • The average rate of temperature increase per decade for 1981 to 2017 is more than double the average, per decade, increase since 1880
Some Regional anomalies for 2017
  • Arctic Sea Ice. Smallest annual maximum extent. Eighth smallest minimum extent
  • Antarctic Sea Ice. Second smallest annual maximum extent. Smallest recorded minimum extent
  • Europe. Fifth warmest year on record
  • USA (contiguous). Third warmest year since 1895 behind 2012 and 2016
  • Chile. Recorded the highest temperature (43.5C/110.3F) ever recorded so far south (43 degrees South)
  • Argentina. Highest national temperature since recording began in 1961
  • Africa. Fourth warmest year on record behind 2010, 2016, and 2015
  • Asia. Third warmest year since recording began in 1910 behind 2015 and 2007
  • Australia. Third warmest year since recording began in 1910. Seven out of the 10 warmest years have occurred since 2005.
OB

Last edited:

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The way the data is collected is flawed. This results in garbage conspiracy theories like "global warming".

Also, I guess everyone forgot about all the plagues and famine in the bible. I guess no one has read revelation where most of the trees and grass will be burned up. Maybe "global warming" is symbolic of things to come.

Reactions: Tomm
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,619.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
This is actually the warmest January I can remember. I live down in the tropics.

Over a decade ago, January temperatures tend to be around 60F. Now, we're having some weeks reaching 100F in last December and this January.

However, the temperature changes is mostly due to radical changes in the air currents and probably ocean currents too so if this isn't global warming, it's certainly climate change.

To make things worse, energy prices are climbing so time will come in this unbearable heat, will be unable to afford to use AC as well.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
The way the data is collected is flawed. This results in garbage conspiracy theories like "global warming".

Also, I guess everyone forgot about all the plagues and famine in the bible. I guess no one has read revelation where most of the trees and grass will be burned up. Maybe "global warming" is symbolic of things to come.

Good on you Morse - you tell 'em.

If they're ever looking for a King of the Conspiracy Theorists I'm voting for you. :)
OB

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Even if you believe that global warming is not occuring, in what way is it a conspiracy theory?

Upvote 0

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Even if you believe that global warming is not occuring, in what way is it a conspiracy theory?

Look up how the data is collected. Turn off the Telievision and actually do some research. Listening to "expert$$$" by faith, reading $$$cientific tabloid magazine articles, or appealing to authority is not research. Try to actually understand how they collected the data and did the experiments etc. The easiest way is to look for cofounding factors.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Look up how the data is collected. Turn off the Telievision and actually do some research. Listening to "expert$$$" by faith, reading $$$cientific tabloid magazine articles, or appealing to authority is not research. Try to actually understand how they collected the data and did the experiments etc.
A conspiracy theory is a claim about what is going on that is astoundingly obviously not so. One who believes in it then must believe in a massive conspiracy that acts to "cover it up". For example.

I say "did you know that all planes are flown by donkeys?"
You say "Not all planes are flown by donkeys, I have seen humans pilot airplanes."
I say "That was a donkey in a human costume."
You say "There is no reason to think that."

Then I say that it has been covered up and the gov't has the costume makers killed and their families silenced etc...and so on.

That is a conspiracy "theory."

How do claims of global warming fit in here?

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I am actually frightened.

A couple of weeks ago temperatures in Sydney hit 47.3 C or 117F. On that day Sydney was the hottest recorded place on earth.

I live many hours north of Sydney in the (almost) sub tropics; theoretically hotter, but I'm saved by sea breezes. Even here the last couple of years have been pretty torrid with temps regularly over 100F /38C and 80% humidity.

I too am beginning to get a little frightened,
OB

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

morse86

Aug 2, 2014
✟60,258.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A couple of weeks ago temperatures in Sydney hit 47.3 C or 117C. On that day Sydney was the hottest recorded place on earth.

I live many hours north of Sydney in the (almost) sub tropics; theoretically hotter, but I'm saved by sea breezes. Even here the last couple of years have been pretty torrid with temps regularly over 100F /38C and 80% humidity.

I too am beginning to get a little frightened,
OB

No it wasn't. The data was skewed and adjusted. This is just basic information, please do some research.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No it wasn't. The data was skewed and adjusted. This is just basic information, please do some research.
Since you're the poster here whose ideas fly in the face of the consensus among those who study these matters, I think you should be the one to post showing why your position is tenable.

Upvote 0

Toolinks

Jan 20, 2018
Washington State
✟8,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
The way the data is collected is flawed.

How so?

Global warming is due to human activities. There's no hiding from the blame we all share for this.

No amount of flowery language or allusions to the Bible will save us. Only actual behavioral changes will

Upvote 0

Toolinks

Jan 20, 2018
Washington State
✟8,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
  • Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Toolinks

Jan 20, 2018
Washington State
✟8,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Look up how the data is collected.

I have and I've even read PEER REVIEWED SCIENCE ARTICLES about the temperature measurement systems (ie not just "blog posts" like Anthony Watt).

Turn off the Telievision and actually do some research.

I have. And, just like almost every one of the geologists I hung around with in my career and while getting my PhD in geology, I believe that AGW is a real thing.

Listening to "expert$$$" by faith, reading $$$cientific tabloid magazine articles, or appealing to authority is not research. Try to actually understand how they collected the data and did the experiments etc. The easiest way is to look for cofounding factors.

Huh. Any specific problems you have with the data? I mean, specific, specific? Heat Island effect or station citings? I"ve found the references that have investigated these. Temperature quality control? I just posted a reference on that as well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Willis Gravning

St. Francis of Assisi
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2015
Sioux Falls, SD
✟99,367.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Unfortunately, the remedy is for us to all stop driving cars, flying airplanes, sailing ships and heating and cooling our homes. But this is not going to happen as long as fossil fuels are cheap and plentiful. So we are faced with the certainty of climate change and whatever the consequences of it are and will be. It is our problem collectively and we can only hope (and pray...some of us) that the result will not be too dire. I hope we take the high road and do the right thing with regard to our CO2 emissions but I am not optimistic.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How so?

Global warming is due to human activities. There's no hiding from the blame we all share for this.

No amount of flowery language or allusions to the Bible will save us. Only actual behavioral changes will

If behavioral changes will save us.........we're DOOMED! :eek:

Upvote 0