Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did President Donald Trump commit an act of heresy when he pledged "America First" in his inaugural address? Only if he meant that in a metaphysical, not a political, context, and given the setting and the man, it's entirely clear it was the latter.

Continued below.
No, Trump's 'America first' is not actually a heresy

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,073,197.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How interesting that some people thought this is a heresy.

I admit I don't listen much to Trump--he always says the same inarticulate phrases over and over--heard them once, heard them all.

But my opinion is that any assertion that he puts "America first," is fake news. There is no doubt that he puts himself first and foremost in his every waking and sleeping moment--and self-worship is, I am sure, a heresy.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟142,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
How interesting that some people thought this is a heresy.

I admit I don't listen much to Trump--he always says the same inarticulate phrases over and over--heard them once, heard them all.

But my opinion is that any assertion that he puts "America first," is fake news. There is no doubt that he puts himself first and foremost in his every waking and sleeping moment--and self-worship is, I am sure, a heresy.
I suspect most of you don't...

Listen to Trump, that is.

Which is why you only ever hear of people on the Left repeating what liberal media is telling them, and say and believe things about him that isn't even true.

Thanks for clarifying and being honest that you don't know why you're so vehemently opposed to him when you don't even listen to him.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,073,197.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is impossible not to listen to him--he receives coverage on every major media outlet.

And it is impossible not to see how he relates everything to himself--at the National Prayer Breakfast for example, when he asked the audience assembled to pray for our country to pray for Arnold Schwarzenegger, who obviously wasn't charismatic enough to attract the audience Trump had. If things like this weren't a daily event, perhaps he could be excused for an occasional moment of extreme self-absorption.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It's amazing and often amusing to watch people who hate him twist his words. That goes on a lot these days.

How is this twisting his words? He did say "America first" quite a few times. I've seen his inauguration speech.

It's historically insensitive and not very original (though not less than 'Yes we can', I suppose) but not all that different from what other presidents have been saying.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How is this twisting his words? He did say "America first" quite a few times. I've seen his inauguration speech.

It's historically insensitive and not very original (though not less than 'Yes we can', I suppose) but not all that different from what other presidents have been saying.
What's historically insensitive about wanting to put America first? Who else should the American President put first?

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Trump has always put Trump first, I agree. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
What's historically insensitive about wanting to put America first? Who else should the American President put first?

Not so much the message but the words themselves, I mean, hearkening back to WWII-era isolationism.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not so much the message but the words themselves, I mean, hearkening back to WWII-era isolationism.
Oh we won't be going back to isolationism. It would be the height of foolishness to give up all of our overseas military bases and withdraw from our international alliances. It's why Ron Paul never could win. It sounds nice, but really, nobody seriously wants that. They were just mad about Iraq and jumped on the Isolationism bandwagon as a sort of overcompensation.

But putting America first is what I expect of our president. Hopefully he does, but I suspect he's actually going to put Trump first.

• Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums