Mar 31, 2012
✟9,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
^^^ Respect is never earned, nor should it be demanded. We should respect each other regardless of whether we feel we "earned" it or not. Some basic level of respect is inherent in the universe God made. As a living being, a man, he deserves respect no matter what he does, or doesn't do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Something is... off... here. Something is not adding up.

Does your wife have any history of trauma or being abused? Anything which might have impaired normal bonding in relationships?

My hunch is that she needs a visit to a doctor, for a thorough evaluation; physical and mental health. Hormone levels, thyroid, all of that, but also depression, anxiety, life history. There's a piece of the picture that's not quite clear in your posts.

Upvote 0

sdmsanjose

Jun 19, 2006
Arizona
✟23,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
she could never respect someone who likes her.

Your wife has a very twisted view of her worth. She does not have a chance to change that by herself and should get all kinds of professional help if she ever hopes to improve. If she refuses to get the help and do her part you will not see much improvement if any at all IMO.

Her desire for you is pathetic and no man I know would tolerate such disrespect. You doing things for her and appeasing her will never get her to desire you so you need to stop begging her to desire you IMO. You need to prepare yourself if she chooses to not do what she needs to do to get better. You cannot change your wife you can only change you.

Upvote 0

AndyKC

Jun 20, 2016
Kansas
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Respect that is "demanded" is never respect...that has to be EARNED...and what have you done to not earn respect from your wife?
I don't demand respect but I do expect her to respect me. I don't think there is enough space here to list all of the things I do for her. What are your ideas of how to "earn" respect? I'm not perfect and I know it, but she would be the first to tell you that I am a good man deserving of much more that she is willing to give. I don't think it is anything I am doing wrong and according to her there is really nothing I can do to change how she feels about me. She sees me as attractive and a great husband and father, just not "her type" to feel any kind of sexual chemistry or desire.

Upvote 0

AndyKC

Jun 20, 2016
Kansas
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something is... off... here. Something is not adding up.

Does your wife have any history of trauma or being abused? Anything which might have impaired normal bonding in relationships?

My hunch is that she needs a visit to a doctor, for a thorough evaluation; physical and mental health. Hormone levels, thyroid, all of that, but also depression, anxiety, life history. There's a piece of the picture that's not quite clear in your posts.
---
She does have some issues from the past (don't most of us?) and I do believe they have added to the problem. Her mother was very promiscuous when she was a child. She saw many men come into and out of their lives and 'learned' that sex with strangers is good and fun and didn't have any kind of role model with a stable father in her life. Her dad was married 6 times. And, sex was not hidden from her...she would hear it going on, even when friends spent the night with her and she was so embarrassed and grossed out by it. So to her, sex with someone she loves is 'weird' because she views love with me as she does love of a family member, not as a romantic partner. I am sure this contributes greatly to the way she views sex between us. To her, sex is only fun if it NOT with someone you love. When I try to explain that with a husband, you can open up and be yourself without any fear of being judged or rejected and we can learn what each other needs. She said that just feels too strange to her and that she doesn't like to get all emotionally close like that. Sex to her is better if it is somewhat forced, fast, unplanned, and with someone she doesn't have feelings of love for, just lust. Foreplay is out of the question as that leaves her mind too much time to anticipate or think about what is about to happen. I am basically here for safety, security, love, support, co-parenting, etc...sex is something that is for procreation or for people to do without love involved. Sex and love have nothing to do with each other in her mind and it's only fun if there is nothing deeper than physical and on the surface feelings involved.

So, after writing all of that, it does appear there are issues. However when I ask her is she would be willing to talk to a sex therapist the answer is always 'no'. She doesn't feel like she has any problem. Her sister is a huge alcoholic and this seems similar to me in that neither can admit there is a problem. They think they are completely fine and that me wanting sex is actually the problem. She can't understand why I feel a need for it with her, but understands logically that people who love each other do actually have sex. Also, we have had many talks trying to understand if there were some form of past abuse or something. Other than the obvious issues above with what she experienced growing up with her parents, there has not been anything with my wife herself. She was not physically abused or raped or assaulted in any way so that hasn't been something that plays into it with her.

It is hard because I feel like she does need to seek out some professional help, but she is unwilling to do so and does not feel like she needs it. I feel like her father more than her husband sometimes. I think she probably feels that way too.
Until/unless she seeks help, I don't see this ever getting any better. Do I stay and just provide her with that 'father figure' love and forget about any physical or emotional intimacy forever?

Upvote 0

AndyKC

Jun 20, 2016
Kansas
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
then split up and both of you go on to better relationships.
Is that what you would do? If you loved someone would you just give up because the sex wasn't there? I have struggled with that and what is the right thing to do. What would God say if we could sit down together and talk? I'm sure we could both go on to better relationships and eventually we would look back and be thankful for the new love we found but 16 years, 4 kids, and lots of unromantic love shared seems to be not something I should just toss out. I don't know. I appreciate what you are saying and believe me, we have both wrestled with that idea many times.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Is that what you would do? If you loved someone would you just give up because the sex wasn't there? I have struggled with that and what is the right thing to do. What would God say if we could sit down together and talk? I'm sure we could both go on to better relationships and eventually we would look back and be thankful for the new love we found but 16 years, 4 kids, and lots of unromantic love shared seems to be not something I should just toss out. I don't know. I appreciate what you are saying and believe me, we have both wrestled with that idea many times.

I could never stay with someone I didn't feel attracted to...and your kids would probably be better off with both parents more content...don't think they don't pick up on the problems.

I've left people I've loved...why? Because the relationship wasn't healthy. I left my husband for over a year because of some serious issues in our relationship. Fortunately things improved, but I wouldn't hesitate to pack my bags and go if things weren't healthy in the relationship.

Upvote 0

AndyKC

Jun 20, 2016
Kansas
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your wife has a very twisted view of her worth. She does not have a chance to change that by herself and should get all kinds of professional help if she ever hopes to improve. If she refuses to get the help and do her part you will not see much improvement if any at all IMO.

Her desire for you is pathetic and no man I know would tolerate such disrespect. You doing things for her and appeasing her will never get her to desire you so you need to stop begging her to desire you IMO. You need to prepare yourself if she chooses to not do what she needs to do to get better. You cannot change your wife you can only change you.
Well spoken and I agree. I like what you said about appeasing her....I do that a LOT! Hoping that the 'next' thing I do will finally be the thing that flips the switch and everything will be happily ever after. I also struggle with preparing for 'what if it never changes'? Can I go without physical intimacy for the rest of my life? Is that a big deal? I simply cannot imagine leaving all we have for that and worry that if I were with another woman someday and the sex was great and she loved me on the same level that I loved her, would I be able to enjoy it knowing I basically gave up my family for it? UGH! Maybe I should work on changing me so that I don't feel any need for intimacy. I wonder if that is even possible.

Upvote 0

live4Christ2016

Apr 22, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
✟16,335.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From what you have written above she has definite problems. Does she not understand that God created sex for husband and wife? If not, then she needs to understand this.
The problem I see is that she is unwilling to do anything to save her marriage. You can't change her.
It's difficult when there are children involved.
I find her to be abusive so you have reasons for divorce, but perhaps a separation would be better for a while.
I really don't know. I find her to be either clueless or selfish to your needs though.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AndyKC

Jun 20, 2016
Kansas
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I could never stay with someone I didn't feel attracted to...and your kids would probably be better off with both parents more content...don't think they don't pick up on the problems.

I've left people I've loved...why? Because the relationship wasn't healthy. I left my husband for over a year because of some serious issues in our relationship. Fortunately things improved, but I wouldn't hesitate to pack my bags and go if things weren't healthy in the relationship.
---
I'm sure they do pick up on it even though I try to keep it between my wife and I. They are smart and they know.
I love how strong you are. Jealous too.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes, the hardest thing to do is the best thing...fortunately, I'm a selfish, independent "feminist" who thinks that taking care of herself is sometimes more important than anything else. I know me...and I know that if my home life is not where it should be then neither will my professional life and vice versa. I've quit jobs, left relationships, etc. because they weren't healthy...and for me, it's listening to my "gut" feelings. Those feelings, to me, are the Holy Spirit trying to tell you something. Your job...listen.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,245.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Andy, just based on what you've posted, I'd say she does have a history of abuse. Emotional abuse, and a form of neglect, and - by being exposed to sex at a young age - that early sexualisation of children can also be abusive. I'm not surprised, given what you've posted, that there are issues here.

But identifying them is one thing, fixing them is another. I'm not sure I'd start with a sex therapist, but it does sound as if she needs to work through her "stuff," and if she's not willing, then I'm not sure where you go with that. Do you think that if you told her she didn't get help, you would want a separation (nb. not divorce) for a time, that might wake her up and get her to take this seriously?

Upvote 0

Observer

Observer
Sep 29, 2004
Australia
✟10,101.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
You can try all kinds of things, which you said you already have. But the things she's said to you are soul destroying in a relationship.

Sex will never be totally consistent... sometimes there is stress, traumatic events, monotony etc. But you should still have a fundamental attraction and a desire to have sex even if it's not all the time. Your wife should still say nice things about you, touch you, cuddle you and have sex with you. It may not be daily or every week or even every month if you've been together a long time (though more often is healthier) but it should still happen and give both of you pleasure.
She says she finds you attractive and you're great on paper. This to me says that she is seeking a kind of feeling that comes from experiencing new exciting things, not the kind of feeling that comes with being with a good dependable guy. She wants you to get a motorbike. Seems she wants a bad boy, excitement and impulsive lifestyle. Maybe due to being a mother most of her adult life, she's feeling an urge to lash out and experience freedom and new experiences. Another guy could come along nearly identical to you but if he's a stranger and the timing is right, she could get that excited passion. I don't think this is an issue with you. I think it sounds like you're doing the right things but it's not good enough to her because you're not new and it's comfortable rather than exciting. Most people have this dilemma at some point but it can wear off. But if it goes on for a very long time and one or both of you are miserable, it becomes a serious issue. What she is doing is neglect and is not acceptable in a marriage.
I'm not sure what you can do other than pray and try to make a decision.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't demand respect but I do expect her to respect me. I don't think there is enough space here to list all of the things I do for her. What are your ideas of how to "earn" respect? I'm not perfect and I know it, but she would be the first to tell you that I am a good man deserving of much more that she is willing to give.
Doing all that stuff to "placate" (your word, not mine) her may just be making it harder for her to respect you. To her it may make you appear to be weak and desperate. That does NOT engender respect. Pity, maybe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
then split up and both of you go on to better relationships.
Red - that is ENTIRELY unbiblical.
I'm a selfish, independent "feminist" who thinks that taking care of herself is sometimes more important than anything else. I know me...and I know that if my home life is not where it should be then neither will my professional life and vice versa. I've quit jobs, left relationships, etc. because they weren't healthy...and for me,
Which tells me either you do not understand the first thing about covenant, or that you are ignoring that understanding.

Upvote 0
Aug 2, 2016
✟15,171.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello ,
My regards to both of you. And I admire how you both are handling your situation in a respectable way as difficult as it may be.
I was curious though and I dont want to sound ignorant because I could not read every reply.
Has your wife talked to her doctor and if so his thoughts? I was just curious if some chemical or hormone could cause something like this?
I really wish you both the best and will be praying for you both.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Red - that is ENTIRELY unbiblical.

Which tells me either you do not understand the first thing about covenant, or that you are ignoring that understanding.

Oh, i understand plenty...but if my choice is my mental health or someone else...the decision is easy. I lived through abuse for the first 15 years of my marriage...that ended when I told him to get out until he got his act together. A year later he came back and things are much better.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, i understand plenty...but if my choice is my mental health or someone else...the decision is easy. I lived through abuse for the first 15 years of my marriage...that ended when I told him to get out until he got his act together. A year later he came back and things are much better.
That is not the same as your advice: "split up and both of you go on to better relationships." You put relationships in the plural meaning 2 different pairings. That is what I called unbiblical.

Upvote 0