• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

No Services on Christmas Day

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Chesterton, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+16,973
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    For the first time ever I think, we're having no services on Christmas Day. The liturgy will be on Christmas Eve. We might be doing it this way in the future. Anyone else here do this?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,976
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Our parish is doing it on the 24th this year. I think maybe they did last year also.

3. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+12,408
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    We are having a Vesperal Liturgy at 6 pm - well - it's after sunset so Liturgically it's Wednesday - the Feast of the Nativity :)

There is also the little matter that we have our Chapel in the basement of a very big Protestant Church and they will be having their Christmas Day service in the morning - we don't want to hear their organ and they don't want to hear our Chant and smell our Incense.

Our normal Sunday Liturgy is at 8am so that we are having coffee as their Choir and Organist start 'warming up' for their 11 am Service.

This way we both have Services without causing any disturbance to the other group

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,976
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Ijust checked the Antiochian. Usually they have services on the day but theirs is on the 24th (evening) also.

5. FenderTL5

FenderTL5 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,877
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Vesperal Liturgy on the 24th and a 9am matins followed by Liturgy on the 25th.

6. AMM

AMM A Beggar Supporter

+927
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    my parish this year is just doing a vigil with liturgy

and the parish I went to in college also just had one service

7. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+12,902
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    we're doing Liturgy on the 25th

8. GreekOrthodox

GreekOrthodox Psalti Chrysostom

+829
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We've got Royal Hours tomorrow morning, Vesperal liturgy in the evening. Then regular Orthos and Liturgy on Christmas day.

9. charsan

charsan Charismatic Episcopal Church

+1,140
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    If I may reply. We are having the liturgy on Christmas Eve in my church this year and no Christmas day liturgy also

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  10. Phronema

Phronema Well-Known Member Supporter

+706
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    We're also having the Divine Liturgy on the 24th in the evening.

11. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,673
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Vigil on the 24th, liturgy on the 25th

12. Chesterton

+16,973
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    That's certainly true, but after all these years I'd just assumed it was standard to do it on the 25th. Judging from other responses in this thread I guess it's more flexible than I thought.
    In my town we've got a new church (Romanian) which holds services in the basement of a Protestant church also. Do ya'll have plans to get your own place eventually?

13. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,673
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I think the standard is to hold it on the 25th, but situations vary.

14. charsan

charsan Charismatic Episcopal Church

+1,140
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Well my Priest just canceled so no Liturgy for us

15. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,482
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I always hate having to survive the midnight liturgies, but can see why they make sense given trends to just cancel them.

16. “Paisios”

“Paisios” Unworthy servant of God Supporter

+4,201
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    We are having services on the evening of the 24th and in the morning of the 25th.

17. Anhelyna

Anhelyna Handmaid of God Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+12,408
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I'm just back from Royal Hours and in 3 hours will be heading back again for our Vesperal Liturgy

18. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+893
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    We had the Royal Hours followed by the Vesperal Divine Liturgy this morning, and will have the Vigil this evening, then the Festal Divine Liturgy in the morning.

Joyous Feast to you all!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Chesterton

+16,973
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    On the upside, it shaved a few hours off of the fast. Got to swing by Taco Bell on the way home from liturgy last night. :D

20. Knee V

Knee V It's phonetic.

+1,524
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    The OCA parishes I attended in the past had Christmas morning liturgies, but the Antiochian parish I attend (as well as the Antiochian parish I attended for a couple years before this one) have it on Christmas Eve. I prefer it on Christmas Eve, personally.

Also, bear in mind that once the sun sets on the 24, it IS the Feast of the Nativity. So a Christmas Eve liturgy IS a Christmas liturgy.