No one has been able to answer this yet...

PittBullMom

Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2017
USA
✟86,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the book of John, when Mary Magdalene saw Jesus, He said to her-do not touch me for I have not yet ascended to my Father.

Later he let *Thomas* touch his wounds.

Why couldn't she touch him? What did it have to do with Him ascending to His Father? And why was *Thomas* allowed to touch His wounds?

Last edited:

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the book of Luke, when Mary Magdalene saw Jesus, He said to her-do not touch me for I have not yet ascended to my Father.

Later he let Luke touch his wounds.

Why couldn't she touch him? What did it have to do with Him ascending to His Father? And why was Luke allowed to touch His wounds?

Just following. I had a very similar question the other day, which I haven't asked anyone. I don't think He ascended until the Ascension, so why did he allow touching Himself later, but not at the tomb that morning. I don't know ... ?

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am in no way an expert on this, but I think this question comes down to a matter of translation. The greek word ἅπτου (haptou) was mistranslated in John 20:17 to mean touch, when it likely means "cling"...this correction was made in the Orthodox Study Bible.

There is obviously a big difference between touching and clinging, Jesus likely did not want Mary Magdalene to cling to him since he knew he was going to ascended into heaven shortly thereafter.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am in no way an expert on this, but I think this question comes down to a matter of translation. The greek word ἅπτου (haptou) was mistranslated in John 20:17 to mean touch, when it likely means "cling"...this correction was made in the Orthodox Study Bible.

There is obviously a big difference between touching and clinging, Jesus likely did not want Mary Magdalene to cling to him since he knew he was going to ascended into heaven shortly thereafter.

I remember reading "cling to" ... I'm not sure if it's in other translations but it's right there in my mind alongside "touch". I wonder if that is the reason - different action?

But He says "I am not yet ascended ..." which almost seems to imply that if He had, it would be ok. I know I'm overlaying an English-speaking understanding in the text when I read it that way though.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I remember reading "cling to" ... I'm not sure if it's in other translations but it's right there in my mind alongside "touch". I wonder if that is the reason - different action?

That's my suspicion, but like I said, I am no expert. :)

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That's my suspicion, but like I said, I am no expert. :)
Maybe there is a writing I'm not aware of from the early Church that explains it. Maybe someone will know. :)

You may be right though. :)

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In the book of Luke, when Mary Magdalene saw Jesus, He said to her-do not touch me for I have not yet ascended to my Father.

Why couldn't she touch him? What did it have to do with Him ascending to His Father? And why was Luke allowed to touch His wounds?

It is likely that Mary Magdalene was unclean, so Jesus had some motivation not to be touched by someone who was unclean, perhaps because he had not yet ascended to the altar to make atonement for the sins of the people, and this is what happened in between then and when he appeared before his disciples.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Indeed. Thus the NIV has "Do not hold on to me," the NKJV and ESV have "Do not cling to me," the NASB has "Stop clinging to me," and the NABRE has "Stop holding on to me."

Mary Magdalene was an emotional woman: she was probably holding onto Jesus' feet so tightly that that He couldn't move.

Icons of Mary Magdalene almost always show her not touching Jesus, but I believe this reflects a misunderstanding of the ancient Greek verb ἅπτομαι, which has changed its meaning a little over the centuries. The form of the verb in the original Greek also suggests an ongoing action ("Stop clinging to me").

9cc33bb441ef8dfd01730dda2a5d447c--mary-magdalene-orthodox-icons.jpg

Tissot captures the intensity of the emotion, I think, but also misunderstands the verb:

420px-Brooklyn_Museum_-_Touch_Me_Not_%28Noli_me_tangere%29_-_James_Tissot.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,020.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Actually, I think this is highly unlikely.

On this festival in the morning of the first day of the week (on the morrow after the Sabbath of Passover...Sunday morning), the the cohen gadol (high priest) waved the barley sheaf in the Temple. If Yeshua (now our High Priest) was the Yom HaBikkurim offering (this was the firstfruits barley harvest offering and Yeshua was the firstfruits of them that slept 1 Corinthians 15:20-23 ), He would have ascended ( John 20:17 ) to present Himself to The Father after His Resurrection. When we celebrate Pascha, we are celebrating the fulfillment of Yom HaBikkurim in Yeshua's Resurrection. 50 days later we celebrate Pentecost, the fulfillment of the feast of Shavuot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think this quite qualifies as the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything. Close, but not quite :)

It's an interesting question, although I put my 2c in with some trepidation.

It does seem to be a topic where modern Orthodox, Catholic, and Protestant Bible translations are a little at variance with traditional iconography. I'd really appreciate it if someone with an understanding of icons would explain the traditional view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I have always heard it meant cling to me. the Apostles touching of Christ was to confirm the Resurrection, whereas Mary already believed when He called her by name.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PittBullMom

Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2017
USA
✟86,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok I understand the translation makes a world of difference. Makes sense. So...let's stick with cling. Even then, what did him not ascending yet have to do with her clinging?

Out of all the different reactions people had upon seeing Jesus resurrected, why was only she rebuked (if thats the right word)

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok I understand the translation makes a world of difference. Makes sense. So...let's stick with cling. Even then, what did him not ascending yet have to do with her clinging?

Out of all the different reactions people had upon seeing Jesus resurrected, why was only she rebuked (if thats the right word)

I don't think "rebuke" is the right word -- the rest of the passage suggests great gentleness on Jesus' part.

If I had to guess, I'd have to say (1) Jesus had things to do, (2) Mary had things to do, and most of all (3) the kind of contact with Jesus that Mary needed was not physical touch, but the spiritual contact that would become possible after the Ascension.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Actually, I think this is highly unlikely.

If she had touched Jesus or been inside of the tomb while he was dead, then she was unclean, which I do not see as being unlikely in the slightest.

Upvote 0

PittBullMom

Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2017
USA
✟86,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok I'm not even in the right book lol. It was John not Luke.

Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.
John 20:17 KJV
John 20:17; Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

In the same sentence he said "for I am not yet ascended". That was the reason HE gave. He said it was because he had not yet ascended.

We could guess being busy or unclean but thats not what he said. I'm not looking for the reason he said don't cling or touch, I want to know the connection with going to the Father.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We could guess being busy or unclean but thats not what he said. I'm not looking for the reason he said don't cling or touch, I want to know the connection with going to the Father.

The KJV is wrong here -- use the NIV, ESV, NKJV, Orthodox Study Bible, or NABRE.

And like I said, the best explanation is that the kind of contact with Jesus that Mary needed was not physical touch, but the spiritual contact that would become possible after the Ascension.

• Agree
Reactions: truefiction1
Upvote 0