No one can read the bible as the original audience

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I believe it's the basis of christianity, and that it's saddening that so many people try to do away with it's importance. What do you mean when you said that Jesus replaced the function of the law on the cross? Can you share a few examples and scriptures with me?
I believe the passage I was thinking about when I wrote it was in Colossians 2 about ordinances being blotted out and all that so we could be saved.

Upvote 0

Doulosiesou

Jan 1, 2018
Colorado
✟16,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe it's the basis of christianity, and that it's saddening that so many people try to do away with it's importance. What do you mean when you said that Jesus replaced the function of the law on the cross? Can you share a few examples and scriptures with me?

I'd guess these but I'm not sure of Michael's intent:

Hebrews 9:15-17

For this reason He is the mediator of a new covenant, so that, since a death has taken place for the redemption of the transgressions that were committed under the first covenant, those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance. For where a covenant is, there must of necessity be the death of the one who made it. For a covenant is valid only when men are dead, for it is never in force while the one who made it lives.

I interpret that to mean God died to the law by dying on a cross for us. His resurrection represents the new relationship, some might call 'covenant' but I'm not a covenant theologian.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The first generation didn't have our bible, so I was obviously talking about something else in that sentence.
I disagree.
2 Timothy 4:13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.
is just one example of written books and parchments pertaining to the Word of God. Many other times is it written about the Bible. It always has been complete. If I lived 3000 years ago, it would have said enough to be accounted for, for righteousness sake, however it would have been interpreted differently according to the context and times. Parables were still spoken, the same lessons were taught, there was nothing that was left out. But grace and salvation is not according to the law, but by Jesus Christ. The prophets of old knew it, and wrote of him. When he came, it was fulfilled. So no one ever lacked in access to Scriptures that was necessary to lead to Christ; the bread they needed, because we live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God, not bread alone. So if it wasn't written by a man's hand yet, it was because it wasn't necessary yet. Otherwise, how is it that Enoch walked with God? or Elijah? seeing as they did not have "our bible"?
Genesis 15:6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
And the funny thing is, Jesus quoted the Old Testament EXTENSIVELY.
first generation didn't have our bible.....pfft.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I disagree.
2 Timothy 4:13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.
is just one example of written books and parchments pertaining to the Word of God. Many other times is it written about the Bible. It always has been complete. If I lived 3000 years ago, it would have said enough to be accounted for, for righteousness sake, however it would have been interpreted differently according to the context and times. Parables were still spoken, the same lessons were taught, there was nothing that was left out. But grace and salvation is not according to the law, but by Jesus Christ. The prophets of old knew it, and wrote of him. When he came, it was fulfilled. So no one ever lacked in access to Scriptures that was necessary to lead to Christ; the bread they needed, because we live by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God, not bread alone. So if it wasn't written by a man's hand yet, it was because it wasn't necessary yet. Otherwise, how is it that Enoch walked with God? or Elijah? seeing as they did not have "our bible"?
Genesis 15:6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
And the funny thing is, Jesus quoted the Old Testament EXTENSIVELY.
first generation didn't have our bible.....pfft.
The logic of this post made me forget what we were talking about. Sorry about that.

Upvote 0

MyGivenNameIsKeith

Oct 16, 2017
xcxb xcvb n bv b
✟33,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The logic of this post made me forget what we were talking about. Sorry about that.
No apology necessary. I am not offended by the insult. Real truth makes known a hollow argument. This case, you assume they did not have the Word of God, a.k.a. the Bible. I showed they did. Lean not upon one's own understanding, but on the Lord. As per the OP, the Bible can be read as the original audience. One can picture oneself as Barabbas, a guilty man, being pardoned by Pontius Pilate, while Jesus took the fall in his innocence. The same as we are pardoned of our sins because Jesus took our place. We can see in the Old Testament where 3 men were cast into fire (gathered in his name) and Jesus was among them (form of the fourth was like the Son of God). Where two or more are gathered, there he is among us. I see man being made in his image, in every human being I meet. Mind (Father), body (Son), spirit (Holy Spirit). I see the Great Tribulation everyday I wake up, for the tribulation is our life here on earth in the flesh.
Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
You are alive right now. Not back then. No other time in history have you existed. You miss the fact that the revealed Word of God is sufficient at all times at all stages of revelation for its purpose and was and is complete. Particularly during the "1st generation". As the Word of God is alive, Jesus walking the earth never changed that fact. The witness of his death and resurrection was foreseen by the prophets so they wrote about it. The Christian is Israel. The living stones that make up the house.

We can and should read the Bible as the original audience, otherwise, it's just an empty story that has no spiritual meaning or connotation or feeling.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No apology necessary. I am not offended by the insult. Real truth makes known a hollow argument. This case, you assume they did not have the Word of God, a.k.a. the Bible. I showed they did. Lean not upon one's own understanding, but on the Lord. As per the OP, the Bible can be read as the original audience. One can picture oneself as Barabbas, a guilty man, being pardoned by Pontius Pilate, while Jesus took the fall in his innocence. The same as we are pardoned of our sins because Jesus took our place. We can see in the Old Testament where 3 men were cast into fire (gathered in his name) and Jesus was among them (form of the fourth was like the Son of God). Where two or more are gathered, there he is among us. I see man being made in his image, in every human being I meet. Mind (Father), body (Son), spirit (Holy Spirit). I see the Great Tribulation everyday I wake up, for the tribulation is our life here on earth in the flesh.
Matthew 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
You are alive right now. Not back then. No other time in history have you existed. You miss the fact that the revealed Word of God is sufficient at all times at all stages of revelation for its purpose and was and is complete. Particularly during the "1st generation". As the Word of God is alive, Jesus walking the earth never changed that fact. The witness of his death and resurrection was foreseen by the prophets so they wrote about it. The Christian is Israel. The living stones that make up the house.

We can and should read the Bible as the original audience, otherwise, it's just an empty story that has no spiritual meaning or connotation or feeling.
Yeah this tends to happen so I don't obsess over things, not sure what triggers it, not really your fault. I get the sense that you're talking about something else (and maybe someone else, based on this second post) so I lose track. The point of controversial theology is to think about the issues, so you've done that, good.

Upvote 0

Doulosiesou

Jan 1, 2018
Colorado
✟16,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah this tends to happen so I don't obsess over things, not sure what triggers it, not really your fault. I get the sense that you're talking about something else (and maybe someone else, based on this second post) so I lose track. The point of controversial theology is to think about the issues, so you've done that, good.

Well I guess one could ask, if the application for scripture changes as 'society' changes, then wouldn't theology change as well?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well I guess one could ask, if the application for scripture changes as 'society' changes, then wouldn't theology change as well?
Application of Scripture is related to how I relate scripture to society.

Theology is the study of God.

Biblology changes for sure.

Upvote 0