Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"No one—even God—can know in advance what a (libertarian) free-will agent will choose. For if He did know in advance what you will choose, then you are not free to choose."

If you disagree, please provide an argument (or proof or evidence) why with Scripture & or logic, reason, etc.

Further comments by the person quoted above follow:

"For example, suppose God knows you are going to eat an ice-cream cone at 2 P.M. tomorrow. That implies that you CANNOT refrain from eating an ice-cream cone at 2 P.M. tomorrow. For if through your free will, you could refrain and did refrain, then God didn't know that you would eat an ice-cream cone at 2 P.M. tomorrow."

"I should also make clear that God not knowing in advance what we will choose in no way implies that he is not omniscient. For God DOES know all that is possible to know. No one can know the future (in the absolute sense of "know") because the future does not yet exist, and so there is nothing to know."

Jesus told Peter that before the rooster crowed, he would deny Christ three times. That happened.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"No one—even God—can know in advance what a (libertarian) free-will agent will choose. For if He did know in advance what you will choose, then you are not free to choose."

If you disagree, please provide an argument (or proof or evidence) why with Scripture & or logic, reason, etc.

"For example, suppose God knows you are going to eat an ice-cream cone at 2 P.M. tomorrow. That implies that you CANNOT refrain from eating an ice-cream cone at 2 P.M. tomorrow. For if through your free will, you could refrain and did refrain, then God didn't know that you would eat an ice-cream cone at 2 P.M. tomorrow."

"I should also make clear that God not knowing in advance what we will choose in no way implies that he is not omniscient. For God DOES know all that is possible to know. No one can know the future (in the absolute sense of "know") because the future does not yet exist, and so there is nothing to know."
God is not governed by time, so to say He can’t see into the future is talking rubbish at best.
I am the beginning and the end

Just because God knows what we will do doesn’t take away our free will. God knows who will reject Him but He doesn’t stop that person from making that decision. We control our destiny, our actions etc. That means you have free will. Just because God knows the outcome of everything we do doesn’t mean our free will isn’t free will

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God is not governed by time, so to say He can’t see into the future is talking rubbish at best.

Just because God knows what we will do doesn’t take away our free will. God knows who will reject Him but He doesn’t stop that person from making that decision. We control our destiny, our actions etc. That means you have free will. Just because God knows the outcome of everything we do doesn’t mean our free will isn’t free

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Just because God knows what we will do doesn’t take away our free will. God knows who will reject Him but He doesn’t stop that person from making that decision. We control our destiny, our actions etc. That means you have free will. Just because God knows the outcome of everything we do doesn’t mean our free will isn’t free

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟874,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

“Be not therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭6:8‬ ‭ASV‬‬

Upvote 0

John tower

The Called Out
Mar 18, 2018
Toronto
✟23,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

( 7 ) : ” THE GREATEST FALSE TEACHING OF THE CHURCHES ! “
August 17, 2017gigoboy777 Leave a comment
The standard teaching in the present day churches is that yes, we cannot save ourselves : That the only thing we have is our own free will, to either choose or reject God . Well does the Bible teach that we choose God of our own free will ? JOHN 1 ( 13) : ” Which were born NOT OF THE WILL OF MAN , BUT OF GOD ! ” ROMANS 9 ( 16 ) : ” So then IT IS NOT OF HIM THAT WILLETH , BUT OF GOD . ” JAMES 1 ( 18 ) : ” OF HIS OWN WILL begat he us with the word . ” So according to the Bible : It is NOT OF MAN’S WILL , BUT ONLY GOD’S WILL ! EPHESIANS 1 ( 11 ) : ” Him who works ALL THINGS AFTER the counsel of HIS OWN WILL . ” : ALL THINGS AFTER HIS WILL LEAVES NO PLACE FOR OUR OWN SUPPOSED FREE WILL ! So this teaching that man has his own free will is completely contrary to scripture : It falsely exalts man with power that he in truth does not have. Well you might ask : Why did not God not give man his own free will ? HEBREWS 12 ( 2 ) : ” Looking unto JESUS , THE AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH ! ” : So CHRIST IS THE SOLE AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH ! THERE IS NO ONE BETTER QUALIFIED THAN CHRIST TO TRAIN US : CERTAINLY NOT OURSELVES : SO THIS IS PRECISELY WHY CHRIST DID NOT GIVE US A FREE WILL , BECAUSE ONLY CHRIST CAN DO A PROPER JOB ! Only CHRIST knows what things we need to learn , we do not know these things : so what in the world would we do with a free will if such a thing existed : Answer : We wouldn’t have a clue , which is of course why CHRIST did not give us a free will : WE ARE JUST CLAY IN THE GREAT POTTERS HANDS , and thank God , no one can do a better job then God! PHILIPPIANS 1 ( 6 ) : ” He which began a good work in you will continue it unto the day of CHRIST . ” : He began it , not us , and he will finish it not us ! PHILIPPIANS 2 ( 13 ) : ” For IT IS GOD WHICH WORKETH IN YOU , BOTH TO WILL AND TO DO OF HIS GOOD PLEASURE ” : GOD NOT US ! This is solely the work of God : to say that man has any part in it is falsely exalting man : usurping the work of God and falsely placing it in man’s hands : an obvious blasphemy against God , and it is widely taught in the mainstream churches, and needs to be exposed for the blasphemy that it is ! EPHESIANS 2 ( 8-10 ) : 8 : ” For by grace are you saved through faith, AND THAT NOT OF YOURSELVES, it is the gift OF GOD ” 9 : ” NOT OF WORKS LEST ANY MAN SHOULD BOAST ” 10 : ” For we are HIS WORKMANSHIP ” Nothing of ourselves! ROMANS 13 ( 1 ) : ” THERE IS NO POWER BUT GOD ! ” No room here for man to have his own power of free will : No power but God. PSALMS 65 ( 4 ) : ” Blessed is the man whom THOU CHOOSEST AND CAUSEST TO APPROACH UNTO THEE . ” : God chooses his elect , and God causes them to come to him by his call, not us by our own supposed free will : totally unscriptural ! Choosing God would of course be a good thing to do, and if we really did choose God of our own free will we would be at least partially righteous, because choosing God would be a good thing, but such is definitely not the case as the Bible clearly says there are non righteous because we do not have the power to come to God of our own will as CHRIST clearly says in JOHN 6 ( 44 ) : ” No man can come to me unless THE FATHER DRAWS HIM . ” : ONLY THE FATHER CAN DRAW HIM : HE CANNOT COME OF HIS OWN POWER ! STOP BLASPHEMING AND SAYING THAT MAN SAVES HIMSELF BY HIS OWN FREE WILL WORK OF CHOOSING GOD : IT IS TOTALLY AND SOLELY THE WORK OF GOD !

Post navigation

Upvote 0

John tower

The Called Out
Mar 18, 2018
Toronto
✟23,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God knows the future, because it's spread out in front of Him like a map. Just as you can look anywhere you please on a map, and point to any specific place, so He can look at the map and

The standard teaching in the present day churches is that yes, we cannot save ourselves : That the only thing we have is our own free will, to either choose or reject God . Well does the Bible teach that we choose God of our own free will ? JOHN 1 ( 13) : ” Which were born NOT OF THE WILL OF MAN , BUT OF GOD ! ” ROMANS 9 ( 16 ) : ” So then IT IS NOT OF HIM THAT WILLETH , BUT OF GOD . ” JAMES 1 ( 18 ) : ” OF HIS OWN WILL begat he us with the word . ” So according to the Bible : It is NOT OF MAN’S WILL , BUT ONLY GOD’S WILL ! EPHESIANS 1 ( 11 ) : ” Him who works ALL THINGS AFTER the counsel of HIS OWN WILL . ” : ALL THINGS AFTER HIS WILL LEAVES NO PLACE FOR OUR OWN SUPPOSED FREE WILL ! So this teaching that man has his own free will is completely contrary to scripture : It falsely exalts man with power that he in truth does not have. Well you might ask : Why did not God not give man his own free will ? HEBREWS 12 ( 2 ) : ” Looking unto JESUS , THE AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH ! ” : So CHRIST IS THE SOLE AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF OUR FAITH ! THERE IS NO ONE BETTER QUALIFIED THAN CHRIST TO TRAIN US : CERTAINLY NOT OURSELVES : SO THIS IS PRECISELY WHY CHRIST DID NOT GIVE US A FREE WILL , BECAUSE ONLY CHRIST CAN DO A PROPER JOB ! Only CHRIST knows what things we need to learn , we do not know these things : so what in the world would we do with a free will if such a thing existed : Answer : We wouldn’t have a clue , which is of course why CHRIST did not give us a free will : WE ARE JUST CLAY IN THE GREAT POTTERS HANDS , and thank God , no one can do a better job then God! PHILIPPIANS 1 ( 6 ) : ” He which began a good work in you will continue it unto the day of CHRIST . ” : He began it , not us , and he will finish it not us ! PHILIPPIANS 2 ( 13 ) : ” For IT IS GOD WHICH WORKETH IN YOU , BOTH TO WILL AND TO DO OF HIS GOOD PLEASURE ” : GOD NOT US ! This is solely the work of God : to say that man has any part in it is falsely exalting man : usurping the work of God and falsely placing it in man’s hands : an obvious blasphemy against God , and it is widely taught in the mainstream churches, and needs to be exposed for the blasphemy that it is ! EPHESIANS 2 ( 8-10 ) : 8 : ” For by grace are you saved through faith, AND THAT NOT OF YOURSELVES, it is the gift OF GOD ” 9 : ” NOT OF WORKS LEST ANY MAN SHOULD BOAST ” 10 : ” For we are HIS WORKMANSHIP ” Nothing of ourselves! ROMANS 13 ( 1 ) : ” THERE IS NO POWER BUT GOD ! ” No room here for man to have his own power of free will : No power but God. PSALMS 65 ( 4 ) : ” Blessed is the man whom THOU CHOOSEST AND CAUSEST TO APPROACH UNTO THEE . ” : God chooses his elect , and God causes them to come to him by his call, not us by our own supposed free will : totally unscriptural ! Choosing God would of course be a good thing to do, and if we really did choose God of our own free will we would be at least partially righteous, because choosing God would be a good thing, but such is definitely not the case as the Bible clearly says there are non righteous because we do not have the power to come to God of our own will as CHRIST clearly says in JOHN 6 ( 44 ) : ” No man can come to me unless THE FATHER DRAWS HIM . ” : ONLY THE FATHER CAN DRAW HIM : HE CANNOT COME OF HIS OWN POWER ! STOP BLASPHEMING AND SAYING THAT MAN SAVES HIMSELF BY HIS OWN FREE WILL WORK OF CHOOSING GOD : IT IS TOTALLY AND SOLELY THE WORK OF GOD !

Post navigation

point to any specific event He wants to.

But that in no way implies that He predestines you to salvation or damnation, as that is still your choice. He merely sees you making the choice. That's not the same thing as forcing you to do so.

The fact that He sees you eating an ice cream at 2pm tomorrow doesn't mean He forced you to eat an ice cream tomorrow. You could choose to have a coffee instead, and He'll just watch you having a coffee at 2pm tomorrow.

What is a mystery is how He can have a plan of salvation if all He's doing is watching 7 billion people drinking coffee or eating ice cream at 2pm tomorrow. He'd have to be more active than that, otherwise this Plan of His depends on nothing more than the collective free choices of humanity, most of the choices being inconsequential eg. eating ice cream, adding up to some sort of eternal Plan.

He's in the mix somehow, and so is the devil, but don't ask me how. He does know what you'll do - whether you'll CHOOSE for Him or against Him.

I make the claim my own father turned up in my own room the night he died. He started with an apology for the way he'd treated me, including saying at one stage "I've been an absolute mongrel to you!" and "I can't believe how cruel and stupid I've been" and "I did it deliberately" (ie. destroyed my confidence) etc.

However he also said at one point "I always was doomed! I didn't really have any choice!" I argued back (and I was an atheist back then, nearly 40 years ago), saying "That can't be right!" He replied "Oh, it's right, all right, you can see that from here!"

But later in the same exchange, he admitted "I was WILLING!". I'd say, very willing, since I was on the receiving end of his cruelty for 20 years. My sister tried to commit suicide twice when she was about 14, as I'd moved away from home and she copped more of it as I was no longer there to be the floor mat. Fortunately she survived both attempts.

It's a mystery, this peculiar mix of predestination and free will. But even if God watches us do things, we've still got free will, and we're still WILLING. Watching a thief break into a home and steal is not the same thing as making him break into the home and steal.

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Knowing all future events does not mean you cause all those events.

Likewise, God can know the future, but those decisions are still yours to make.

However, I agree that if the future actually exists, it means you are predestined in a way to it. Your future is decided for you, even if God is not involved.

I experiment a bit with this by claiming that the future consists of infinite possibilities, and God knows each possibility in absolute detail. In fact, maybe he even lives in them, In some sort of multiple universe idea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John tower

The Called Out
Mar 18, 2018
Toronto
✟23,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Knowing all future events does not mean you cause all those events.

Likewise, God can know the future, but those decisions are still yours to make.

Post navigation

However, I agree that if the future actually exists, it means you are predestined in a way to it. Your future is decided for you, even if God is not involved.

I experiment a bit with this by claiming that the future consists of infinite possibilities, and God knows each possibility in absolute detail. In fact, maybe he even lives in them, In some sort of multiple universe idea.

Upvote 0

HatGuy

Some guy in a hat
Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
✟123,338.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say man saves himself of his own free will.

This argument has to do with whether God predestined EVERY decision you or I make.

The scriptures you posted do not make such a claim. They only speak of salvation, not every decision a person ever makes.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There are two wrong extremes to have in regards to GOD and man's free will. One wrong extreme is Open Theism (Which is what you are suggesting here) and the other wrong extreme is Calvinism.

GOD knows all things. To know all things is the very definition of Omniscience.

The Lamb was slain since the foundation of the world (Revelation 13:8).
God declared the end before the beginning (Isaiah 46:10).

"Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him" (Matthew 6:8).

In the future, God knows that there are perfectly going to be 144,000 Messianic Jews who are undefiled by women (See Revelation 14:3-5).

Revelation 13:8 and Revelation 17:8 says that there will be wicked men who will worship the beast. God says here that their name was not written in the book of life since the foundation of the world. In other words, God knew their free will choices of committing an unforgiveable sin. What they will do is really, really, really, really so bad that they never had their name in the book of life ever. They did not even have their name in the book of life when they were a child because God knew they would grow up to do this really bad thing.

Then there are the Messianic prophecies and Jewish prophecies (Israel becoming a nation). You have to write off God predicting the future many times within His Word in order for Open Theism to be true.

But the problem with Open Theism is that it puts God inside a box based on man's human reasoning to understand God and our world.

Upvote 0

AFrazier

Supporter
Apr 1, 2016
Mauldin, South Carolina
✟157,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

God said that he declared the end from the beginning. Knowing what we are going to do has nothing to do with controlling what we do. God is outside of time.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Foreknowing is not the same as foreordaining. God knows what we will do at any given time, but it is a non sequitur to assert that He therefore causes what He knows we will do to come to pass. I know when little Johnny touches the hot stove element it's going to hurt him, but this doesn't mean I've caused little Johnny to touch the element.

Does Scripture give us good cause to think God knows the future? Yes. As has already been pointed out, prophecy demonstrates this very well. Consider also these verses:

Romans 8:29
29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Psalms 147:5
5 Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite.

Matthew 25:34
34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, 'Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Acts 2:23
23 Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death;

1 Peter 1:2
2 elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.

It seems very evident from these verses that the future is known to God and not an inscrutable, as yet non-existent reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Sorry but I do not believe prophecy from God can fail, like the Old Testament prophecies concerning Christ. Otherwise you open the door for the possibility that even God could be a liar, which contradicts Him being truth....I AM the way...the TRUTH.

A couple of examples from Scripture, one concerning prophecy are the prophecies concerning Judas.

Another example from Scripture of God knowing choices in advance is where Christ tells Peter he would deny Him three times. IF it were possible any other way what would that make the Lord and Savior out to be?

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are in or out with God, you are for Him or against Him. There is no fence sitting allowed. Either we represent God all the time in everything we say or we do not represent Him at all. So God knows in advance what we will do because He tests us.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Hunters in a dry land know the big game will be going to the watering hole. God can predict more complex patterns than this.

If you learn to practice Jesus' commands, you might find that it is not all pain and agony.

Matthew 11:25-30 World English Bible (WEB)
25 At that time, Jesus answered, "I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you hid these things from the wise and understanding, and revealed them to infants. 26 Yes, Father, for so it was well-pleasing in your sight. 27 All things have been delivered to me by my Father. No one knows the Son, except the Father; neither does anyone know the Father, except the Son, and he to whom the Son desires to reveal him. 28 "Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greg Merrill

Supporter
Apr 5, 2017
Las Vegas
✟319,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What a ridiculous opening statement. Regardless, God is still and always will know everything, be omniscient. Just because I know the sun is going to rise, doesn't mean that I am the one that makes it rise. Just because I know people will die today doesn't mean I make them die. Just because I know when someone puts bread in a toaster it will be toasted doesn't mean I am toasting the bread. There are surely millions of other examples that could be given. Romans 1:22.

Upvote 0