Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care - WSJ.com

Looks like soda will soon be added to the Sin Tax list.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I'm all for drinking less soda...and I can certainly live without it (well...maybe...:blush:)...but I wonder...how are these taxes going to affect the economy?

Is BHO just gonna tax everything to the point where we can't buy anything and companies will start down sizing and/or go out of business all together? This doesn't seem real good for the economy.

Good news: the "experts" are looking into it...:sorry:...guess BHO has to come up with the trillions he wants to spend somewhere....:confused:

If they want us all to be healthier....then perhaps they should leave my Cherrios alone...:doh:

Cheerios' Health Claims Break Rules, FDA Says - WSJ.com

Reactions: BustedFlat

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I really don't understand this...I mean...with a poor economy...raising taxes...sales tax...applying a Sin Tax...how is that going to raise money for Health Care?

All I can see it doing is encouraging people to no longer buy the product which in turn is going to harm the business that supplies the product and the perhaps eliminate the jobs to produce the product.

And it's not just soda...but all sweetened beverages....hmmmm....maybe folks will stop drinking Kool-Aid.

And doesn't the FDA have better things to do than worry about how General Mills is marketing Cheerios?

The further down this road we go...the wackier it gets....

On the other hand....if they are going to raise taxes....perhaps this a more "fair" way to do it....then those who abuse the system and don't work and/or those who make their money under that table....will be paying into this trillion+ spending budget as well.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care - WSJ.com

Looks like soda will soon be added to the Sin Tax list.

I'm not sure what to think of this. I'm all for drinking less soda...and I can certainly live without it (well...maybe...:blush:)...but I wonder...how are these taxes going to affect the economy?

Is BHO just gonna tax everything to the point where we can't buy anything and companies will start down sizing and/or go out of business all together? This doesn't seem real good for the economy.

Good news: the "experts" are looking into it...:sorry:...guess BHO has to come up with the trillions he wants to spend somewhere....:confused:

If they want us all to be healthier....then perhaps they should leave my Cherrios alone...:doh:

Cheerios' Health Claims Break Rules, FDA Says - WSJ.com

These taxes like all the other taxes that were imposed to fix the economy will go everywhere else but to fix the economy. Obama is a liberal, which means he's a tax and spend person. Raise taxes and you have more money to waste on stuff we don't need. But what we have to remember is that Obama was handed a disaster of a country, created by George W. Bush. Obama didn't do this, Bush did. The conservatives would do well to remember who the real enemy in all of this was

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
These taxes like all the other taxes that were imposed to fix the economy will go everywhere else but to fix the economy. Obama is a liberal, which means he's a tax and spend person. Raise taxes and you have more money to waste on stuff we don't need. But what we have to remember is that Obama was handed a disaster of a country, created by George W. Bush. Obama didn't do this, Bush did. The conservatives would do well to remember who the real enemy in all of this was

Personally....I think the foundation for these problems goes back way before GWB even...and I'm beginning to think....doesn't matter what side of the isle one is on...the real problems are generated by the PTB behind the FED...that have been pulling strings there for a very, very long time.

And I don't think "Bush did it" all by his lonesome....I think the liberal House and Senate had a huge hand in turning the wheels of disaster.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Here's the prob...the FED is just too heavy:

New Progressive Element Added to Periodic Table By Colonel 7.62
5/13/2009, 3:54 pm
download

download

Comrades! A glorious new discovery indeed!

Lawrence Livermore Laboratories has discovered the heaviest element yet known to science. The new element, Governmentium (symbol=Gv), has one neutron , 25 assistant neutrons, 88 deputy neutrons, and 198 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312.

These 312 particles are held together by forces called morons , which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called peons.

Since Governmentium has no electrons, it is inert. However, it can be detected, because it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact. A tiny amount of Governmentium can cause a reaction that would normally take less than a second, to take from 4 days to 4 years to complete.

Governmentium has a normal half-life of 2 to 6 years. It does not decay, but instead undergoes a reorganization in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons exchange places. In fact, Governmentium's mass will actually increase over time, since each reorganization will cause more morons to become neutrons, forming isodopes. This characteristic of moron promotion leads some scientists to believe that Governmentium is formed whenever morons reach a critical concentration.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Personally....I think the foundation for these problems goes back way before GWB even...and I'm beginning to think....doesn't matter what side of the isle one is on...the real problems are generated by the PTB behind the FED...that have been pulling strings there for a very, very long time.

And I don't think "Bush did it" all by his lonesome....I think the liberal House and Senate had a huge hand in turning the wheels of disaster.
Nor do I think we can blame bush for the callapse of the housing market which is at the heart of this mess.

Upvote 0

Zecryphon

Aug 14, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
✟19,186.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

You're right Bush didn't do it all by himself, he's not that smart. He had a Republican House and Senate helping him out. An all Republican government and look where we are. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
You're right Bush didn't do it all by himself, he's not that smart. He had a Republican House and Senate helping him out. An all Republican government and look where we are. :doh:

The House and Senate have been Dem majority since about 2006 I think...and you're quite right...it was an all Rep show until then....

Again...my point is...it doesn't matter...R or D...it's ALL corrupt and I'm beginning to think the Oval Office is just a stage for big honkin' sock puppets...whether they're red or blue...doesn't matter....still puppets and the problems we're seeing today...started a long, long time ago.

Reagan was prolly the last true servant of this country we'll ever see.

Notice....I have no political icon...initially I removed it because I was tired of being told I was doomed to destruction because I had a Rep icon...

I choose not to have an icon still...because IMHO...both parties have lost all credibility...but I would rather cut my hand off than ever vote for another Dem...the party has been totally highjacked...and the Reps aren't fairing much better.

Anyway....I know my question was posted a bit tongue & cheeky...but it was a sincere question none the less...

Where is the current Admin gonna come up with the trillions in spending for proposed budget (and I use that term loosely)...and are these sales and sin taxes gonna be the last nail in the economy's coffin?

I mean...they keep putting valiant sounding programs out there....like Health Care...and it seems to simply be another hole in the bucket streaming directly into an already puffed up and over inflated FED.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
The House and Senate have been Dem majority since about 2006 I think...and you're quite right...it was an all Rep show until then....

Again...my point is...it doesn't matter...R or D...it's ALL corrupt and I'm beginning to think the Oval Office is just a stage for big honkin' sock puppets...whether they're red or blue...doesn't matter....still puppets and the problems we're seeing today...started a long, long time ago.

Reagan was prolly the last true servant of this country we'll ever see.

Notice....I have no political icon...initially I removed it because I was tired of being told I was doomed to destruction because I had a Rep icon...

I choose not to have an icon still...because IMHO...both parties have lost all credibility...but I would rather cut my hand off than ever vote for another Dem...the party has been totally highjacked...and the Reps aren't fairing much better.

Anyway....I know my question was posted a bit tongue & cheeky...but it was a sincere question none the less...

Where is the current Admin gonna come up with the trillions in spending for proposed budget (and I use that term loosely)...and are these sales and sin taxes gonna be the last nail in the economy's coffin?

I mean...they keep putting valiant sounding programs out there....like Health Care...and it seems to simply be another hole in the bucket streaming directly into an already puffed up and over inflated FED.

I read the link you posted. It's only the beginning. As you accurately observe, where is the administration going to come up with the Trillions with a capital T for the proposed budget?

I just heard Pelosi state everything is on the table as far as taxation.

If it wasn't so serious it would be humorous. If Obama had done nothing, absolutely nothing as far as bailouts the economy would have corrected itself as always. History shows the normal cycles of economic prosperity and conversely periods of recession.

Reactions: Cris413
Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I read the link you posted. It's only the beginning. As you accurately observe, where is the administration going to come up with the Trillions with a capital T for the proposed budget?

I just heard Pelosi state everything is on the table as far as taxation.

If it wasn't so serious it would be humorous. If Obama had done nothing, absolutely nothing as far as bailouts the economy would have corrected itself as always. History shows the normal cycles of economic prosperity and conversely periods of recession.

You're absolutely right....the economy would have bounced back on it's own...sadly...I don't think the goal is to improve the economy at all...:(...or the health care system for that matter either.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The problem with sin taxes is that the government is trying to raise revenue from a vice, while simultaneously discouraging that vice. You can't do both of those very well. If nobody drinks pop anymore, then they're not getting any money from the sin tax to fund this, that, and the other thing. But if they're raising a decent amount of money from the sin tax, then people are still drinking pop and not getting any healthier.

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The problem with sin taxes is that the government is trying to raise revenue from a vice, while simultaneously discouraging that vice. You can't do both of those very well. If nobody drinks pop anymore, then they're not getting any money from the sin tax to fund this, that, and the other thing. But if they're raising a decent amount of money from the sin tax, then people are still drinking pop and not getting any healthier.

I was having a difficult time understanding any possible sense to the tax on soda...and even if people are willing to continue the current consumption...didn't look like it would amount to significant revenue for the proclaimed intent...which I kinda doubt it would go to in the first place...

...and even if some of it did...by the time the beaurocrats got done with it....what...perhaps 1 cent for every dollar collected would actually go to health care?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
...and even if some of it did...by the time the beaurocrats got done with it....what...perhaps 1 cent for every dollar collected would actually go to health care?
Even if the full dollar went to health care, it wouldn't do much to fund a health care program. Between the high and rising costs of health care, and how bureaucracy further increases costs, it would wind up bringing in only a small fraction of what is needed, yet the talking heads on the Democratic side would insist that such a tax is indispensable.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟784,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
this stuff I'm reading is making me wonder if either side (Rep or Dem) is good anymore. (but the Dems, as bad as they are doing, are somehow convincing the rest of the uninformed population that they are doing a great job) - it is a good idea to exercise our civic duty to vote but how can you vote for people who are so corrupt, whatever side they're on. and as much as I hate to say this, I don't feel that voting 3rd party necessarily amounts to anything because they don't win anyway. but the social issues of the Dems are extremely offensive and that is what leaves me with the Republicans. Sure - it can be gratifying to know you're not voting for either, but still.

I guess maybe I'll just have to tell myself that I'm voting for an idea more than the individual. We can't count on a politician not to have ANY corruption, I guess, so I'll have to do what Jesus said we should do about the Pharisses: do as they say but not as they do. I don't know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Even if the full dollar went to health care, it wouldn't do much to fund a health care program. Between the high and rising costs of health care, and how bureaucracy further increases costs, it would wind up bringing in only a small fraction of what is needed, yet the talking heads on the Democratic side would insist that such a tax is indispensable.

Pelosi may have to put her taxing energies on the back burner for awhile...as she battles with the CIA...

Upvote 0

Cris413

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 20, 2007
Texas
✟56,828.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
and it just keeps getting better...:doh:

I just received this in a newsletter I receive regularly from our Congressman John Culberson:

President Barack Obama and some liberals in Congress support federal regulation of carbon dioxide (CO2). Proponents of CO2 regulation claim that taxing polluters is an effective way to reduce carbon emissions, but the staggering costs of a cap and trade program will stifle our domestic energy and manufacturing sectors and result in major rate increases for consumers. The cap and trade plan is the equivalent to a light switch tax, because if this bill becomes law, you will pay a tax every time you turn on your lights.

<snipped a portion bunch of numbers and such> but it goes on to say:

Economists estimate that consumer spending accounts for 70 percent of our economy. While our economy is struggling to recover from recession, the last thing we should do is raise taxes on American consumers, which is why I am a co-sponsor of the American Energy Innovation Act. This fiscally responsible approach encourages innovation by investing in renewable energy technology, promotes conservation by providing incentives for reducing energy demand, and increases production of American energy by utilizing available resources and streamlining burdensome regulations. These steps will make America energy self-sufficient and improve our environment in the process.
Sincerely,
John Culberson
Member of Congress

Just in case any of you would like to contact your respective Congressman regarding...

Upvote 0