• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

No more emotions

Dec 27, 2019
Ottawa
✟8,173.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As the title says, I've come to a place where I prayed an oath to completely disown my emotions. I have effectively kicked them out of my head as of now. Not necessarily permanently. If I find reason in the future for my emotions to be useful again, I will let them back in.

But as it stands, my emotions have caused nothing but trouble, to both myself and others, and I decided to begin living a good life without them. I'm also not paid to feel my emotions anyway. Why mess around with a part of my mind and being that's untrustworthy and that makes the rest of me untrustworthy. Why should I feel the pain of my emotions when I can swear an oath to the Lord to remove my useless emotions the same way an appendix is removed by surgery.

I am beginning to feel freer now, thanks to the complete total removal of those emotions that have messed me and my life up over the years. I choose in the name of Jesus, to no longer feel anger, sadness, fear, even at the expense of joy. My kind of peace knows emotions no more, and a flat expression has become the way to go.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
As the title says, I've come to a place where I prayed an oath to completely disown my emotions. I have effectively kicked them out of my head as of now. Not necessarily permanently. If I find reason in the future for my emotions to be useful again, I will let them back in.

But as it stands, my emotions have caused nothing but trouble, to both myself and others, and I decided to begin living a good life without them. I'm also not paid to feel my emotions anyway. Why mess around with a part of my mind and being that's untrustworthy and that makes the rest of me untrustworthy. Why should I feel the pain of my emotions when I can swear an oath to the Lord to remove my useless emotions the same way an appendix is removed by surgery.

I am beginning to feel freer now, thanks to the complete total removal of those emotions that have messed me and my life up over the years. I choose in the name of Jesus, to no longer feel anger, sadness, fear, even at the expense of joy. My kind of peace knows emotions no more, and a flat expression has become the way to go.

Unfortunately your method of dealing with negative emotions is counter productive. God gave us the faculty of emotion just as He gave us a mind to think with and a will to choose with. I was like you early in my Christian life. I suppressed everything that I could. I would not accept the Baptism of the Holy Spirit because I could see that emotion was involved.

Suppressing emotion only hurts us. It makes us cold and indifferent outwardly, even if we care inwardly. It also makes us weak. The joy of the Lord is our strength. No expression of Joy (not an emotion, a fruit of the Spirit), no strength. The spirit of man is where we engage with the spiritual realm where God dwells. The soul is the realm where we engage with the world that we live in. Cutting off emotion is like drugging ourselves. It may relieve the pain but it dulls the senses and does nothing to address the real issues.

What you need to do is learn how to live by principle, not by feeling. Some days I don't "feel" spiritual. Maybe I don't sleep well. I ignore the feeling of tiredness and just get on with the day. I always start off with a prayer time. I've found that being thankful and appreciative of all that God has done for me fires up my spirit man and sets me up for the day. The Lord can get through to me, so to speak, even in difficult times. Everyone needs peace. I have that even when things are going a way I don't like. Not long ago, I was in hospital with a heart problem. I was there for 6 hours and 40 minutes. It was boring but fine. I was blessed to have a friend with me. Lord Jesus slept through a storm that terrified seasoned sailors. I'm ex-Navy, I know what storms are like. Lord Jesus is our peace in the midst of the storm.

Emotions give us our humanity. Without emotion, we become wooden and hard. That's a turn off for most people. We should be the most joyful people on the planet. People should look at us and wonder how we can be so full of joy and peace. We have every possible reason to be full of joy and peace. Those who are born again have riches that Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg can't match. The Christian's riches are eternal. No one gets out of this life with any more than they came in with.

Start focusing on what God has done for you in Christ. When I was going through the hell of a marriage break up, I heard an old hymn, "Count your blessings". What? I'm going through hell and I'm supposed to count my blessings? Yes. It worked. Hebrews tells us to fix our thoughts on Jesus. Persist in doing that and you will see a change - and so will others.

Reactions: ABCthings
Upvote 0

Margaret1022

Feb 2, 2020
Queensland
✟8,308.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I find reason in the future for my emotions to be useful again, I will let them back in.

I also learnt to mute my emotions in order to save myself from being heartbroken over and over again. I lived years being contented to have no emotions but recently I realized how lack of emotions created distance between me and my friends - Now I can't get close to anyone because I can't feel joy or be empathetic when they're sad. It feels like there is an invisible wall between myself and everyone else (even my family members) and now I'm so lonely and is trying to get my emotions back but after 6 years of abandoning my emotions it is sooo difficult :/

I wouldn't say I regret getting rid of my emotions because it prevented me from breaking down but now even I want them back they won't come back. I guess this is a consequence of muting my emotions for too long! I understand there must be a reason you want to get rid of your emotions but I just want to warn you from my own experience that once you get rid of them too long, you might not be able to get them back even you think they are useful again!

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
e·qua·nim·i·ty
/ˌekwəˈnimədē/
noun
  1. mental calmness, composure, and evenness of temper, especially in a difficult situation.
    "she accepted both the good and the bad with equanimity"
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Thinking of old fashioned scales.
On one side we have our emotions
on the other side our thinking
try to keep the scale balanced.
M-Bob

Upvote 0