No member of the Godhead takes control of your life. You have to practice self-control. You have to overcome sin and temptation! Part 1

Bob corrigan

May 3, 2022
San Antonio
✟30,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Divorced
I have heard so many false statements in my years that I am beyond getting worked up when I hear them. (Well, almost, lol) Some are more ludicrous than others. Some are more stupid than others. Some are more far-fetched than others. And some are more cringe-worthy than others. None of these "sayings" are found in Scripture.. They are all made-up slogans that become "Traditions of Men."
There is one that I hear periodically that really irritates me. Some person will give their "testimony" about how he/she was addicted to drugs and alcohol. Of course, they were always "hard-core" addicts with habits that ran into "thousands of dollars" daily. And then, after "praying/calling out to God, God miraculously not only takes away the "addictions," He also takes away any desire." Sigh, this just isn't true! 1. No way to verify the piece of fiction. 2. I researched but could not find any evidence of a drug addict also being an alcoholic. Different drugs, different highs, different effects. 3. Talk to any former drug addict, alcoholic, or smoker, and they will all tell you the same thing; while they have overcome the physical and mental side of their past addictions, the desire never goes away. They will always crave what they have broken away from. I know sheep who were once hooked on something. God never took their "desire" away.

But this only covers a very limited number of people. What I am about to address is an attitude among millions of pseudo-believers that after one "gets saved," a member of the Godhead will take control over their life and enable them to live a sanctified, holy life. They are no longer able to sin. To use a simple example, one of these people believe that even if tempted, one member of the Godhead, or all three, will "prevent" them from committing sin. As if one of these is walking down a candy aisle, lusts after a certain candy bar, and actually reaches out to steal the candy bar but will be physically prevented from grabbing the candy bar.

This nonsense is taught by one or two slogans, "God/Jesus/Holy Spirit" will change your life," or "Changed lives." Some even say God/Jesus/Holy Spirit will take control of your life. None of these "slogans" are in Scripture. Just a thought. If one of the three takes control of your life, does that mean you still have "free-will?"

After being immersed in the Holy Spirit, the sheep become a new creation. This is not a "new them," like they have been remade or "new and improved". Rather they are a new creation. Not new, as in the sense of renovation or recreation, but new, kainos, fresh, of a new kind, recently made. What is the new creation? It is the spiritual birth of a sheep. It is a new spiritual man being born of God's will, John 1:13. A new creature that didn't exist before. Instead of being a natural man, a sheep is now a spiritual man who lives in opposition to the prison flesh of the natural man.

Here is how Jehovah does things under the Renewed Covenant. Jehovah mentioned this the first time all of the way back in Deuteronomy.

Deut 30:6 "And Jehovah will circumcise your heart, and the heart of your sons to love the LORD thy God with all of your heart and all of your being..."

Isn't this a command for believers?

Deut 6:5 (This is part of the Shema) And you will love the LORD your God with all of your heart, soul, and might. Deut 11:13.

Yeshua said this was the greatest commandment! Mat 22:36-38

Besides being the greatest command, it is obvious that millions of Jews in the Old Testament, for thousands of years, did not obey this command. Why is that?

There are hundreds of verses in the O.T. where Jehovah, His prophets and leaders commanded the Jews to obey Jehovah, Ex 19:5, Lev 22:31, Deut 5:32-33, 11:1.
But we know that throughout the history of the Old Testament, only a very small percent of the Jews faithfully and continually obeyed Jehovah. Because while Jehovah commanded, it was up to the individual Jew to obey. The problem was that the Jews who disobeyed were natural men with evil hearts. Hearts of stone. These were men who lived according to the lusts of the flesh.

Scripture is very clear, describing the hearts of natural men. Substitute the word "mind" for the heart. When Scripture speaks of the heart, it is speaking of the mind. These verses describe the minds of natural man.

Gen 6:5 The thoughts of the mind were continually evil

Gen 8:21 For the thoughts of natural man's heart is evil, starting in his youth.

Jer 17:9 The mind of a natural man is decitful, above all else. His mind is wicked..."

Ecc 9:3 The minds of the sons of man are evil and full of madness.

We know, according to Scripture that the natural man, represented by the flesh, is at constant war with Jehovah, Yeshua, Holy Spirit, Scripture, and the sheep. We know the flesh hates God, Yeshua, Holy Spirit, Scripture, and the sheep. We know the flesh loves to sin, loves to satisfy itself, and is arrogant, selfish, and self-centered. The flesh cares nothing about Jehovah or obeying Jehovah. Whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not, Jehovah created Adam with a sin-nature, not a capacity to sin. Scripture does not descrobe Adam as perfect. The sin nature was passed on to Eve because she was made out of the same substance as Adam. Fathers pass on the sin nature to their offspring. This is one of the main reasons Yeshua could never have been born of an earthly father; He would have been born with a sin-nature!

So, since natural man will refuse to believe or obey Jehovah, why do some Jews, a small percentage, obey Jehovah? Because Jehovah put something inside of Able, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, David, Elijah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Ezra, Nehemiah, etc., that overrode the flesh and sin nature and created a desire and ability to obey Jehovah. These men weren't "chosen" by Jehovah because He saw that they would "choose" to obey Him. He created them to obey Him!

Is 43:7 Every person that is called by my name (called by others as one of Jehovah's) I have created him for my glory. I formed him. I made him. (The way they are)

Is 64:8 O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, You are the potter. We are all the work of your hands.

Jer 1:5

Rom 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay? From the same lump, He made one vessel a vessel of honor and another a vessel of dishonor.

In the Old Testament, we observe that Jehovah has to do some work on the natural man to enable the natural man to obey Him.

Ps 119:35 Make me to go in the paths of thy commandments...

Ps 119:18 Jehovah, open my eyes, that I may behold wonderous things out of Your law.

Ps 119:27 Make me to understand the way of your statutes.

Now, hundreds of years later, we come to a description of how Jehovah will work among the sheep under the Renewed Covenant.

Jer 24:7 I will give the sheep a mind to know me and know that I am their God. They will be my people and I will be their God. They will return to me with all of their mind.

Jer 31:33 But this will be the (Renewed) covenant that I will make with the (spiritual) house of Israel. After those days, I will put my law in their inward parts and write it in their minds. I will be their God and they will be my people.

Eze 11:19-20 I will give them one mind(unity) and I will put a new spirit inside you. I will take the stoney (natural) heart out of their flesh and will give them a mind towards me. That they (will want to) walk in my statutes and ordinances, and they will perform them. They will be my people and I will be their God.

Do you see everything Jehovah has to do for His sheep to obey Him? Jehovah is doing all of the work neccessary for a sheep to be a sheep! There is nothing in here about Jehovah "asking permission" or "seeking cooperation" from the people in order for Him to work!

Dan 4:35 "...and He does according to His will...among the inhabitants of the earth, and none can stay (interfere with or prevent from working) His hand..."

Ps 115:3 But our God is in the heavens. He does whatever He pleases to do.

Does Jehovah do this for all people? of course not!

Eze 11:21 But as for them whose mind walks after detestable things and abominations, I will repay their way upon their head.

Rom 1:28 And as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind.

"Gave them over" means Jehovah abandoned them. As Jehovah, He could have given them a new spirit and a new mind, but He said, "Nope, I ain't gonna do that." Can you understand that if Jehovah wanted everyone to "get saved," He could and would make that happen? Jehovah could have put a new spirit and mind into Hitler, Stalin, Mao, King Leopold, Grengas Khan, Charles Manson, and Ted Bundy if He had wanted to save them! Nothing is impossible for Jehovah! 2Thes 2:13

Eze 36:26-27 I will give you a new mind. I will put a new spirit inside you...I will put my spirit inside you and cause you to walk in my statutes. You will hold on to my judgments and will preform them.

Eph 2:10 For we (the sheep) are (a result) of His workmanship...

Heb 8:10, 10:16.

Everything spoken of here is spiritual work! The Renewed Covenant operates in the spiritual. Salvation is through the spiritual, not the natural mind and flesh. Everything is understood through the spiritual mind, not the natural mind of the flesh.

Ok, so what we have is not that the Godhead is going to prevent the sheep from sinning, rather Jehovah gives them the desire, will, and ability to obey Him. Whenever you see the word "power" in the New Testament, replace it with the word ability. In the case of the candy bar, you were tempted, or rather your flesh is tempted. But because you are a sheep you not only remember the 8th commandment, your spirit doesn't want to steal the candy bar, even though your flesh does. Because you have the spirit and mind that Jehovah put within you, and you are led by the Spirit.
The biggest battle all sheep face is between the flesh and the spirit. Sheep sin when they allow the flesh to take over!

End of part 1

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have heard so many false statements in my years that I am beyond getting worked up when I hear them. (Well, almost, lol) Some are more ludicrous than others. Some are more stupid than others. Some are more far-fetched than others. And some are more cringe-worthy than others. None of these "sayings" are found in Scripture.. They are all made-up slogans that become "Traditions of Men."
There is one that I hear periodically that really irritates me. Some person will give their "testimony" about how he/she was addicted to drugs and alcohol. Of course, they were always "hard-core" addicts with habits that ran into "thousands of dollars" daily. And then, after "praying/calling out to God, God miraculously not only takes away the "addictions," He also takes away any desire." Sigh, this just isn't true! 1. No way to verify the piece of fiction. 2. I researched but could not find any evidence of a drug addict also being an alcoholic. Different drugs, different highs, different effects. 3. Talk to any former drug addict, alcoholic, or smoker, and they will all tell you the same thing; while they have overcome the physical and mental side of their past addictions, the desire never goes away. They will always crave what they have broken away from. I know sheep who were once hooked on something. God never took their "desire" away.

But this only covers a very limited number of people. What I am about to address is an attitude among millions of pseudo-believers that after one "gets saved," a member of the Godhead will take control over their life and enable them to live a sanctified, holy life. They are no longer able to sin. To use a simple example, one of these people believe that even if tempted, one member of the Godhead, or all three, will "prevent" them from committing sin. As if one of these is walking down a candy aisle, lusts after a certain candy bar, and actually reaches out to steal the candy bar but will be physically prevented from grabbing the candy bar.

This nonsense is taught by one or two slogans, "God/Jesus/Holy Spirit" will change your life," or "Changed lives." Some even say God/Jesus/Holy Spirit will take control of your life. None of these "slogans" are in Scripture. Just a thought. If one of the three takes control of your life, does that mean you still have "free-will?"

After being immersed in the Holy Spirit, the sheep become a new creation. This is not a "new them," like they have been remade or "new and improved". Rather they are a new creation. Not new, as in the sense of renovation or recreation, but new, kainos, fresh, of a new kind, recently made. What is the new creation? It is the spiritual birth of a sheep. It is a new spiritual man being born of God's will, John 1:13. A new creature that didn't exist before. Instead of being a natural man, a sheep is now a spiritual man who lives in opposition to the prison flesh of the natural man.

Here is how Jehovah does things under the Renewed Covenant. Jehovah mentioned this the first time all of the way back in Deuteronomy.

Deut 30:6 "And Jehovah will circumcise your heart, and the heart of your sons to love the LORD thy God with all of your heart and all of your being..."

Deut 6:5 (This is part of the Shema) And you will love the LORD your God with all of your heart, soul, and might. Deut 11:13.

Besides being the greatest command, it is obvious that millions of Jews in the Old Testament, for thousands of years, did not obey this command. Why is that?

There are hundreds of verses in the O.T. where Jehovah, His prophets and leaders commanded the Jews to obey Jehovah, Ex 19:5, Lev 22:31, Deut 5:32-33, 11:1.
But we know that throughout the history of the Old Testament, only a very small percent of the Jews faithfully and continually obeyed Jehovah. Because while Jehovah commanded, it was up to the individual Jew to obey. The problem was that the Jews who disobeyed were natural men with evil hearts. Hearts of stone. These were men who lived according to the lusts of the flesh.

Scripture is very clear, describing the hearts of natural men. Substitute the word "mind" for the heart. When Scripture speaks of the heart, it is speaking of the mind. These verses describe the minds of natural man.

Gen 8:21 For the thoughts of natural man's heart is evil, starting in his youth.

Jer 17:9 The mind of a natural man is decitful, above all else. His mind is wicked..."

We know, according to Scripture that the natural man, represented by the flesh, is at constant war with Jehovah, Yeshua, Holy Spirit, Scripture, and the sheep. We know the flesh hates God, Yeshua, Holy Spirit, Scripture, and the sheep. We know the flesh loves to sin, loves to satisfy itself, and is arrogant, selfish, and self-centered. The flesh cares nothing about Jehovah or obeying Jehovah. Whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not, Jehovah created Adam with a sin-nature, not a capacity to sin. Scripture does not descrobe Adam as perfect. The sin nature was passed on to Eve because she was made out of the same substance as Adam. Fathers pass on the sin nature to their offspring. This is one of the main reasons Yeshua could never have been born of an earthly father; He would have been born with a sin-nature!

So, since natural man will refuse to believe or obey Jehovah, why do some Jews, a small percentage, obey Jehovah? Because Jehovah put something inside of Able, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, David, Elijah, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Ezra, Nehemiah, etc., that overrode the flesh and sin nature and created a desire and ability to obey Jehovah. These men weren't "chosen" by Jehovah because He saw that they would "choose" to obey Him. He created them to obey Him!

Is 43:7 Every person that is called by my name (called by others as one of Jehovah's) I have created him for my glory. I formed him. I made him. (The way they are)

Is 64:8 O LORD, you are our Father. We are the clay, You are the potter. We are all the work of your hands.

Rom 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay? From the same lump, He made one vessel a vessel of honor and another a vessel of dishonor.

In the Old Testament, we observe that Jehovah has to do some work on the natural man to enable the natural man to obey Him.

Ps 119:18 Jehovah, open my eyes, that I may behold wonderous things out of Your law.

Now, hundreds of years later, we come to a description of how Jehovah will work among the sheep under the Renewed Covenant.

Jer 24:7 I will give the sheep a mind to know me and know that I am their God. They will be my people and I will be their God. They will return to me with all of their mind.

Jer 31:33 But this will be the (Renewed) covenant that I will make with the (spiritual) house of Israel. After those days, I will put my law in their inward parts and write it in their minds. I will be their God and they will be my people.

Eze 11:19-20 I will give them one mind(unity) and I will put a new spirit inside you. I will take the stoney (natural) heart out of their flesh and will give them a mind towards me. That they (will want to) walk in my statutes and ordinances, and they will perform them. They will be my people and I will be their God.

Do you see everything Jehovah has to do for His sheep to obey Him? Jehovah is doing all of the work neccessary for a sheep to be a sheep! There is nothing in here about Jehovah "asking permission" or "seeking cooperation" from the people in order for Him to work!

Dan 4:35 "...and He does according to His will...among the inhabitants of the earth, and none can stay (interfere with or prevent from working) His hand..."

Eze 11:21 But as for them whose mind walks after detestable things and abominations, I will repay their way upon their head.

Rom 1:28 And as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind.

"Gave them over" means Jehovah abandoned them. As Jehovah, He could have given them a new spirit and a new mind, but He said, "Nope, I ain't gonna do that." Can you understand that if Jehovah wanted everyone to "get saved," He could and would make that happen? Jehovah could have put a new spirit and mind into Hitler, Stalin, Mao, King Leopold, Grengas Khan, Charles Manson, and Ted Bundy if He had wanted to save them! Nothing is impossible for Jehovah! 2Thes 2:13

Eze 36:26-27 I will give you a new mind. I will put a new spirit inside you...I will put my spirit inside you and cause you to walk in my statutes. You will hold on to my judgments and will preform them.

Everything spoken of here is spiritual work! The Renewed Covenant operates in the spiritual. Salvation is through the spiritual, not the natural mind and flesh. Everything is understood through the spiritual mind, not the natural mind of the flesh.

Ok, so what we have is not that the Godhead is going to prevent the sheep from sinning, rather Jehovah gives them the desire, will, and ability to obey Him. Whenever you see the word "power" in the New Testament, replace it with the word ability. In the case of the candy bar, you were tempted, or rather your flesh is tempted. But because you are a sheep you not only remember the 8th commandment, your spirit doesn't want to steal the candy bar, even though your flesh does. Because you have the spirit and mind that Jehovah put within you, and you are led by the Spirit.
The biggest battle all sheep face is between the flesh and the spirit. Sheep sin when they allow the flesh to take over!

End of part 1
So there is a limit to God's power? There are some things that God cannot do? God cannot change the behavior of people, or heal them or cure them of their addiction? None of Them, it never happens ever to anyone? And you can claim this with absolute assurance? AMAZING

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So there is a limit to God's power? There are some things that God cannot do? God cannot change the behavior of people, or heal them or cure them of their addiction? None of Them, it never happens ever to anyone? And you can claim this with absolute assurance? AMAZING
Yes unbelievable that a person can claim to be a christian yet deny Gods power, that Christ in you is the hope of Glory and that we are the temple of the living God where the Holy Spirit indwells believers. I guess for the religious folks their god is powerless. But to those who know the True and Living God the gospel which saved and transformed them is the power of God unto salvation for all those who believe. AMEN !

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

End of part 1
The flesh is weak but the Spirit is willing. If we walk with Him daily and do not quench Him, He will do a good work in us through His Holy Spirit. This is His promise to us. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I'm actually going to post in defense of the OP because I think I get where he's coming from.

Yes, God is all-powerful to cure people from their physical and/or mental illnesses, but just like Peter, as soon as Peter took his eyes off Christ and his faith was replaced with human fear and physical distractions, he was no longer able to walk on water but he began to sink. The idea of people who are cured and then they have to do nothing more isn't realistic in the Christian walk because we all, at one time or another, will take our eyes off Christ and misplace our faith and that's when we begin to sink. Now this may be for only a split-second, and we immediately cry out to God who reaches forth his hand to uphold us as Christ did with Peter. But we all stumble, sink or fall. And every Christian would be a liar to say they have never stumbled or sank because they got distracted by the world and took their eyes of Christ.

And so the people who were cured of addiction and alcoholism, as the OP singled out, may become instantly healed (not denying this possibility) because they've replaced God for their addiction. But it's very plausible that during a rough day, the ex-alcoholic may think, "I could use a drink". His heart may convict him at the thought and they will say "no!" and enter into prayer. But the desire, even if it's for a split second may pop up throughout their lifetime, because overcoming is a life-long process.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The flesh is weak but the Spirit is willing. If we walk with Him daily and do not quench Him, He will do a good work in us through His Holy Spirit. This is His promise to us. Blessings.
Amen and the Lord delivered me from hatred( I was a brawler , fighter ), drugs, alcohol, selfishness, pride and replaced my heart of stone with a a new heart who loved Him with my entire mind, heart, soul and strength and to love others. Jesus literally transformed me from the inside out and I had new desires and I couldn't put His word down and I have been studying it daily since the day He saved me in 1980. A pastor took me under his wings and discipled me from day one. That hunger and thirst to know Christ has never left me and I saw several family and friends come to Christ though sharing the gospel. They all witnesses how Jesus changed my life. God through the new birth creates a new man in the believer. I always say the greatest miracle today in a changed heart thorough the new birth. The old has passed and all things have become new. We are new creations in Christ.

So those who deny the miraculous power of the indwelling Holy Spirit must have never experience the new birth, being born again by the Holy Spirit where we become the children of God. John 1:12-13, Romans 8.

hope this helps !!!

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is one that I hear periodically that really irritates me. Some person will give their "testimony" about how he/she was addicted to drugs and alcohol. Of course, they were always "hard-core" addicts with habits that ran into "thousands of dollars" daily. And then, after "praying/calling out to God, God miraculously not only takes away the "addictions," He also takes away any desire." Sigh, this just isn't true!
So when Jesus said, "if the Son sets you free, you are free indeed", that wasn't true?
When Paul said "if anyone is in Christ they are a new creation", that wasn't true either?

If there is no way to "research this piece of fiction", you have no way of knowing if it IS fiction. Your theology and/our your prejudices have already told you that the person is lying, or at least exaggerating.
I don't have experience of drugs, smoking or alcohol - but I have no reason to believe that these born again Christians who testify to God's power in setting them free, are mistaken.
2. I researched but could not find any evidence of a drug addict also being an alcoholic.

Does that matter - the point is, did God set them free from their addiction?

3. Talk to any former drug addict, alcoholic, or smoker, and they will all tell you the same thing; while they have overcome the physical and mental side of their past addictions, the desire never goes away.
So anyone who testifies that it has; that Jesus has set them free indeed, just as he promised, is mistaken?
This nonsense is taught by one or two slogans, "God/Jesus/Holy Spirit" will change your life," or "Changed lives."
You don't believe Jesus can change your life?

And therefore free of the sinful desires of the old man.

Though Jesus can set someone free immediately, I have heard that, for some, the battle to give up smoking took several months. They testified that they were being taught patience, perseverance and so on.

To be continued

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟561,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My question to those following this tread:
Should the s in spirit be capitalized? If so, why?

Galatians 5:16-26 KJV
16. This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
17. For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
18. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
22. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
25. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe because, as John says, we love because he first loved us.
If a person does not know that God loves them, how can they respond to that love and love him back? Are we able to love people we do not know? Doesn't it change things for us when someone tells us that they love us?
But we know that throughout the history of the Old Testament, only a very small percent of the Jews faithfully and continually obeyed Jehovah. Because while Jehovah commanded, it was up to the individual Jew to obey.
It's been the same since the Garden of Eden - Adam was commanded not to eat the fruit; but he did.
Whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not, Jehovah created Adam with a sin-nature, not a capacity to sin. Scripture does not descrobe Adam as perfect. The sin nature was passed on to Eve because she was made out of the same substance as Adam. Fathers pass on the sin nature to their offspring.
It's not genetic - there is no verse/passage in Scripture which says that sin is passed on through the fathers.
The "sin nature" was not passed on to Eve. Adam didn't have a "sin nature" until he chose to disobey God. God created humans and described his creation as being VERY good. God is perfect, so if a perfect creator creates something, and declares that it is VERY good, then it is. The God who is light with NO darkness in him, cannot, and did not, created a sinful, imperfect human.

That's why God punished Adam and Eve - he had commanded, they chose to disobey.
And Scripture says that - where?
Where are we told that God knows that some people will choose to obey him so he gave them the ability to obey him? Is that doing what Jesus told us not to do; loving only those who love you?
If God overruled our will and our actions, he would have made Adam to be incapable of disobeying him.
Abraham, David, Moses etc were not created so as to be incapable of disobeying God. David broke several of the commandments in one go - he lusted after Bathsheba and coveted her, he committed adultery, he had her husband killed and he lied and tried to cover it up. Moses killed an Egyptian and argued with God when he was called to go to Egypt. Abraham tried to pass his wife off as his sister - twice. And instead of waiting patiently for God to fulfil his promise, he tried to fulfil it himself, by sleeping with someone else. Jacob was a deceiver, lied to his father and tricked his brother.
Yes, they walked with God and were faithful - but some of them messed up big time along the way. They did not have "something inside them" which made them incapable of disobeying God. Even King Saul, who was filled with the Spirit and prophesied, disobeyed God, sinned, was jealous of David and tried to kill him.

We love because he first loved us.
When someone knows and accepts just how much they are loved by God, they are going to want to respond, to receive more of his love and will therefore have more love to give in return. They will not want to deliberately sin against God. But they/we still live in a fallen world and get tempted.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not, Jehovah created Adam with a sin-nature, not a capacity to sin. Scripture does not descrobe Adam as perfect. The sin nature was passed on to Eve because she was made out of the same substance as Adam. Fathers pass on the sin nature to their offspring. This is one of the main reasons Yeshua could never have been born of an earthly father; He would have been born with a sin-nature!
There is no sin nature in the bible you made that up which is why you didn't quote the Bible.

Nice try bob there goes your entire false premise down the drain.

Call Roto Rooter that's the name and away goes heresies down the drain, Roto Rooter !

hope this helps !!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
There is no sin nature in the bible you made that up which is why you didn't quote the Bible.
Sin-nature is definitely a very odd way of putting it. I'll admit I jumped over a few of his paragraphs and didn't see that one. I was reading for the main point not the details because this reads as a rant not as a professional debate and lecture.
Scripture does not descrobe Adam as perfect.

Gen 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Adam was described as a good creation. Even Lucifer was 'perfect in all his ways' until iniquity was found in him.
The sin nature was passed on to Eve because she was made out of the same substance as Adam. Fathers pass on the sin nature to their offspring. This is one of the main reasons Yeshua could never have been born of an earthly father; He would have been born with a sin-nature!
Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.

You make it sound as though women can't sin or 'pass sin down'.

Ezekiel 18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

We have human nature, not 'sin-nature'. Sinning is a choice. The son is not responsible for the iniquity of the father so this idea that sin is inheritable is wrong.

Now, I get where your rant is coming from and can vouch for some of the main points, in essence, such as that we have to walk according to the spirit or we will fulfill the lusts of the flesh; that we're given free-will and God doesn't control nor possess us to do good, but your post seems to be on the more emotional side of the bar; as well as judgmental. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt and assume that you witnessed a Christian who perhaps didn't show the fruits you would have expected in relation to their statements and you were perhaps calling out those Christians who were ingenuine. However, the mistake was making gross generalized comments.

Leaving the content of the post aside, from one writer to another, you should take greater care in writing your next post. The misspellings, typos and overuse of quotation marks takes away from the seriousness of the post. When polished and better thought-out your main point will echo with other Christians rather than bogging it down with various non-scriptural anecdotes which individuals can and will pick apart.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

End of part 1
While God can nudge us and woo us, and even chasten us, He does not force us to do what Is good and right.
He can definitely influence us to do right, but ultimately when the rubber meets the road, we are responsible for doing what is righteous.

We are told:

“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).​
"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).​
"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Revelation 2:10).​

We are told to:
  1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).
  2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).
  3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

Enduring or overcoming is a part of salvation:

"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life,...” (James 1:12).​
“...He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.” (Matthew 24:13).​
“To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life,...” (Revelation 2:7).​
"...He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." (Revelation 2:11).​
"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life,...” (Revelation 3:5).​

But many will not of course see it this way (despite what Scripture says).

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,628.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I remember seeing a heroin addict being baptised in the sea after total release at conversion.

The wave of Love at the point of his baptism was so strong I was almost physically knocked over in the surf.

I was a user for about 6 years - God gave me a second chance - my condition was so bad I was administered shock treatment which reduced me to a vegetable state and sent home to my parents. I had been born again years earlier otherwise that would have been it...

A small voice inside urged me to return to my Christian roots.

I single mindedly did this, and He gave me a second chance, meeting me and putting me back on the rails.

Seven years of healing and ministry followed before I felt 'normal' again.

He is faithful - there is no condition He cannot fully heal.

I have waited 40 years to share my testimony and now He is using me to pray for the sick.

Ones theology is often shaped by ones experience - for those truly delivered from darkness and set free, comes the revelation that there is no limit to what He can and will do.

Without this experience of God's Great Grace our theology is often quite limited.

I can never cease to Give Him Praise for a new life.

There is no condition that the Cross is unable to touch and redeem.

Upvote 0

Lost Witness

Ezekiel 3:3 ("Change")
Nov 10, 2022
New York
✟97,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember seeing a heroin addict being baptised in the sea after total release at conversion.

The wave of Love at the point of his baptism was so strong I was almost physically knocked over in the surf.

I was a user for about 6 years - God gave me a second chance - my condition was so bad I was administered shock treatment which reduced me to a vegetable state and sent home to my parents. I had been born again years earlier otherwise that would have been it...

A small voice inside urged me to return to my Christian roots.

I single mindedly did this, and He gave me a second chance, meeting me and putting me back on the rails.

Seven years of healing and ministry followed before I felt 'normal' again.

He is faithful - there is no condition He cannot fully heal.

I have waited 40 years to share my testimony and now He is using me to pray for the sick.

Ones theology is often shaped by ones experience - for those truly delivered from darkness and set free, comes the revelation that there is no limit to what He can and will do.

Without this experience of God's Great Grace our theology is often quite limited.

I can never cease to Give Him Praise for a new life.

There is no condition that the Cross is unable to touch and redeem.
Hallelujah!!!
GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!!
Great testimony of the LORD'S love, Grace and Mercy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While God can nudge us and woo us, and even chasten us, He does not force us to do what Is good and right.
He can definitely influence us to do right, but ultimately when the rubber meets the road, we are responsible for doing what is righteous.
We are told:
“...We are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end.” (Hebrews 3:13-14).​
"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." (Jude 1:21).​
"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." (Revelation 2:10).​

We are told to:
  1. Continue in the grace of God (Acts of the Apostles 13:43).
  2. Continue in the faith (Acts of the Apostles 14:22) (Colossians 1:23).
  3. Continue in his goodness, otherwise we can be cut off (just like the Jews were cut off) (Romans 11:21-22).

"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life,...” (James 1:12).​
“...He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.” (Matthew 24:13).​
“To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life,...” (Revelation 2:7).​
"...He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." (Revelation 2:11).​
"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life,...” (Revelation 3:5).​
In that case they would be missing the mark. Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Ps 62:1

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Bible Highlighter said:
"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life,...” (James 1:12).
“...He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.” (Matthew 24:13).
“To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life,...” (Revelation 2:7).
"...He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." (Revelation 2:11).
"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life,...” (Revelation 3:5).
In that case they would be missing the mark. Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Ps 62:1
Looking to one verse or one set of verses does not undo another set of verses (like the ones I posted). We have to believe ALL of the God’s Word and not just pick and choose what parts of the Bible we want to believe in.

Psalms 62:1 says in the KJB,
“{To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David.} Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.”

Notice it says that his soul waits upon God.
In context, God is a refuge or protection in this chapter.
A protection from what?

Sinful men.

The context is about standing up for living righteously and not a belief alone in God while one does not need to worry how they live.

Verse 4 - “they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly.”

Verse 9 - “men of high degree are a lie:”

Verse 10 - “Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.”

Upvote 0

Dahveed

May 25, 2023
Zion
✟18,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looking to one verse or one set of verses does not undo another set of verses (like the ones I posted). We have to believe ALL of the God’s Word and not just pick and choose what parts of the Bible we want to believe in.
The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. Psalm 18:30
“{To the chief Musician, to Jeduthun, A Psalm of David.} Truly my soul waiteth upon God: from him cometh my salvation.”
Notice that he waited, And the Lord set my feet upon a rock; He has put a new song in my mouth—Praise to our God; Psalm 40:1-3
Because you have the Lord for your refuge and have made the Most High your stronghold, No evil shall befall you; Psalm 91:8-10
A protection from what?
Sinful men.
Verse 4 - “they delight in lies: they bless with their mouth, but they curse inwardly.”
Verse 10 - “Trust not in oppression, and become not vain in robbery: if riches increase, set not your heart upon them.”
They greatly love to wander; they do not restrain their feet. So the Lord does not accept them; Jer 14:10
The way of peace they have not known; Isaiah 59:8
“There is no peace,” says the Lord, “for the wicked.” Isaiah 48:22
The context is about standing up for living righteously and not a belief alone in God while one does not need to worry how they live.
Don't worry, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Luke 12:32

Giving thanks to the Father ..for He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of His beloved Son; Col 1:12-15

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him. Psalm 18:30

Notice that he waited, And the Lord set my feet upon a rock; He has put a new song in my mouth—Praise to our God; Psalm 40:1-3

Because you have the Lord for your refuge and have made the Most High your stronghold, No evil shall befall you; Psalm 91:8-10

They greatly love to wander; they do not restrain their feet. So the Lord does not accept them; Jer 14:10
The way of peace they have not known; Isaiah 59:8
“There is no peace,” says the Lord, “for the wicked.” Isaiah 48:22

Don't worry, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom. Luke 12:32

Giving thanks to the Father ..for He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of His beloved Son; Col 1:12-15
1 John 1:7 says
“But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.”

By the indirect wording of 1 John 2:9-11, we know that walking in the light is loving your brother. So you have to love your brother in order for the blood of Jesus to cleanse you from all sin. That’s one of the many conditions we see in Scripture. Just believing in Jesus alone with no change in our life is not going to benefit a believer.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

A protection from what?

Sinful men.

The call to be His disciple is one of denying self taking up our cross daily and following Him as one’s Lord and Master. We become slaves of Christ our Master. If He is not ruling one’s life then possible the person does not have His life in them via the Holy Spirit of promise.

Upvote 0