Surrey
✟15,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If marriage doesn't exist in heaven, what's the point of marriage here on earth? You're no longer going to stay married to your spouse once in heaven. Also what makes it holy if it only exists on earth and not in heaven? Is marriage something that ultimately has to be transcended to go all the way? My impression of Christianity coming from a Buddhist background is Christianity views marriage and sexuality more positively as long as its within marriage, and not something that ultimately has to be transcended.(except for tibetan buddhism, but thats a long explanation) In fact marriage is something sacred. Am I right there? Now of course Buddhism is a completely different religion because they teach reincarnation and no creator god. Also I don't know if Christianity has an equivalent to enlightenment. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If marriage doesn't exist in heaven, what's the point of marriage here on earth? You're no longer going to stay married to your spouse once in heaven. Also what makes it holy if it only exists on earth and not in heaven? Is marriage something that ultimately has to be transcended to go all the way? My impression of Christianity coming from a Buddhist background is Christianity views marriage and sexuality more positively as long as its within marriage, and not something that ultimately has to be transcended.(except for tibetan buddhism, but thats a long explanation) In fact marriage is something sacred. Am I right there? Now of course Buddhism is a completely different religion because they teach reincarnation and no creator god. Also I don't know if Christianity has an equivalent to enlightenment. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

God honors commitment to others. This life is an opportunity to commit to one partner either male or female.

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We live in a fallen world (Genesis 1:1-3:24). Sexual immorality is one of the hardest sins to overcome and marriage fixes that (1 Corinthians 6:12-20, 7:8-9, Matthew 5:27-30).[1][2][3][4][5] There is no sin in Heaven, so it is not necessary (Revelation 21:1-27).

My guess is that in Heaven, we will have perfect relationships as brothers and sisters in Christ. This will make even the best of earthly marriages look like an episode of Wife Swap in comparison.[6]
  1. human sexual activity | Definition, Types, Examples, & Facts
  2. Home - Fight the New Drug
  3. YouTube.com - TheFuelProject - The "M" Word series - Published Nov 28, 2018 through Apr 10, 2019.
  4. https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/somebodies-and-nobodies/200908/why-are-we-obsessed-sex
  5. Sex Offenders | Sex Offense Statistics
  6. https://www.imdb [dot] com/title/tt0411040/ - Wife Swap (TV Series 2004-2020)

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
what's the point of marriage here on earth?
Children.
1 Corinthians 7:14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the
unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean,
but now they are holy.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Heaven is where believers will go when they die after the Rapture takes place. After the Millennium and the Judgment, there will be a New Earth and it is suggestive that we will be alive on the New Earth with flesh and blood bodies.

So I believe that Jesus was referring to our temporary stay in Heaven before we are resurrected bodily to be upon the New Earth after the Judgment. Marriage seems like the most logical conclusion in that it will resume on the New Earth because it was a part of God's original plan for man in the beginning.

Reactions: JK2021
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

God's first command to people is to be fruitful and multiply.

Reactions: JK2021
Upvote 0

JK2021

Feb 20, 2021
Surrey
✟15,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Heaven is where believers will go when they die after the Rapture takes place. After the Millennium and the Judgment, there will be a New Earth and it is suggestive that we will be alive on the New Earth with flesh and blood bodies.

So I believe that Jesus was referring to our temporary stay in Heaven before we are resurrected bodily to be upon the New Earth after the Judgment. Marriage seems like the most logical conclusion in that it will resume on the New Earth because it was a part of God's original plan for man in the beginning.
Hmm,interesting. Never heard that explanation before.

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

1st a comment regarding your "Christianity coming from a Buddhist background" assertion.

Christ is the begining & created Buddha.

Creator verses; Jn 1:3 & 10, Col 1:16 & 17, 1 Cor 8:6, Eph 3:9.

Here's reference a link with dozen's of bible versions, just a click away. BibleGateway.com: A searchable online Bible in over 150 versions and 50 languages.

As to marrying or giving in marriage according to scripture.

There is & will be, NO, marrying or giving in marriage traditions in the heavenlies.

There is one heavenly wedding/marriage forthcoming. It's a One Time Everlasting Event! When the LORD marries His redeemed. Where the Lord will have that promised cup (Matt 26:29 & Lk 22:18) of a blessing with His redeemed bride.

Rev 7:7 Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

Rev 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.

OT: Lord is husband reference:
Isa 54:5 For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called.

Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD.

Many Jews believe the 10 commandments, given on Mt Sinai, on the 1st recorded Pentecost. Were a covenant/marriage contract & the Lord was there husband.

I believe the Lord Jesus entered into covenant/marriage contract. And betrothed His bride, the redeemed Body of Christ. At the 1st post resurrection Pentecost. And Christ's indwelling Holy Spirit is the contract Seal.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Marriage is showing relationship between Man and Woman like there will be between Christians - bride and Christ in heaven.
Also it is made to avoid fornication and mixing seed , had to be done so people stay pure and Messiah can some thru whole genealogy from Adam thru David to Jesus.
Enlightement? In Christianity you get mind of Christ at resurrection.
Buddhism as overall religion is really low almost bottom tier compared to most religions it has really nothing to offer and it's teachings easily debunked by just logic.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Moral Theology would teach that the purpose of marriage is the production of children, since that will not be happening once we leave this world there is no purpose for marriage. Also we are all to love one another with a perfect love in the after life.

• Winner
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Let's say for the sake of illustration you are married and you go to a church picnic. It "just so happens" that your wife finds some long lost girl friend group and sits with them to eat - and you find some old college buddies and set with them to eat and talk about old times.

In this life -- You are still married to your wife - but your married state does not always have to manifest. A visitor shows up and comments to someone standing by - that it looks like this is a picnic of a bunch of single people. The bystander knows everyone at the picnic - and points you out and points your wife out to the visitor saying -- "oh no - those two are married".

What if that picnic lasted 1000 years in heaven? At what point does the fact that you were married 1000 years ago interrupt the picnic? The fact that you are married might not come up the entire time. So then if marriage was declared abolished or not - your experience at the pic nic might be the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JK2021

Feb 20, 2021
Surrey
✟15,520.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

So do you believe we will be reunited with our present wife on the New Earth or that we will have a different one?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So do you believe we will be reunited with our present wife on the New Earth or that we will have a different one?

Scripture does not specifically say. We look through glass darkly.

Upvote 0

Kobo

Mar 9, 2021
Chicago
✟10,017.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If marriage doesn't exist in heaven, what's the point of marriage here on earth?
Marriage was created for man/woman in this world.
You're no longer going to stay married to your spouse once in heaven. Also what makes it holy if it only exists on earth and not in heaven?
Divorce(for any other reason other than infidelity) is a sin in the Kingdom of God though.
There is nothing "holy" or "pure" as far as marriage is concerned.
Is marriage something that ultimately has to be transcended to go all the way?
Nope!
My impression of Christianity coming from a Buddhist background is Christianity views marriage and sexuality more positively as long as its within marriage, and not something that ultimately has to be transcended.(except for tibetan buddhism, but thats a long explanation) In fact marriage is something sacred. Am I right there?
Marriage is a contract/covenant between two peoples and like every contract, it is important to honor your vows/keep your promise. That said, when it comes to the Kingdom of Heaven, marriage here on earth does not give anyone a pass or a bonus as far as making it into Heaven. Each individual in the marriage is expected to honor the terms and conditions of the New Covenant(Jesus Christ) regardless of marital status.
Now of course Buddhism is a completely different religion because they teach reincarnation and no creator god. Also I don't know if Christianity has an equivalent to enlightenment. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
There is no "enlightenment" in the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

Firstly I'd point out that Jesus doesn't talk about marriage in heaven or the lack thereof, what He says is that in the resurrection of the body people don't get married.

He gave this answer to a group of Sadducees who were trying to get Him to trip up. The Sadducees did not believe in the resurrection of the body, and so wanted to try and make Jesus look ridiculous by using a "gotcha" question. So they posed the question that if a man dies and his brother takes his brother's widow as his wife, and this keeps repeating among brothers--then in the resurrection whose wife will she be?

Jesus' answer is that in the resurrection that question simply doesn't matter, there won't be marriage in the resurrection of the dead.

Now it's important to understand what Jesus is saying and also what He's not saying. He's not saying the love two people have for one another ends, it's not like we won't still have our relationships between ourselves, our parents, our children, our siblings, or our spouses. But life then is fundamentally different than life now. The social function of marriage historically is for the purpose of procreation, that's also why the Torah talks about leverite marriage, a brother wedding his dead brother's wife. The point of such an arrangement ensured that the lineage and name would go on through descendants. Those kinds of things simply won't matter in the Age to Come. What does matter, and what does last, is the love with which we loved one another, and the bonds that we share together--those are good things, and nothing that is good shall be lost; but shall rather be magnified in that life and age that awaits us.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does matter, and what does last, is the love with which we loved one another, and the bonds that we share together--those are good things, and nothing that is good shall be lost; but shall rather be magnified in that life and age that awaits us.

But will the love of two saints in the life to come that were married in their past life be any greater that the love between any other two saints? Then wouldn't the person who is lonely in this life still be relatively lonely for an eternity in the life to come? Wouldn't that perpetuate the current situation of some people enjoying more love than others...except for all eternity? And what of people whose earthly loves were not saved?

Or is it more likely that although we will recognize those we loved in this life, we will not love them any more than or any differently from everyone else in that life to come?

Upvote 0