Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
hello all. so i just got back from talking to a preacher up the street from me. i have been questioning salvation, and i have to say that this preacher really confused me. so i asked him a few questions, like are backsliders christian? and is addiction a sin? he said yes to both. but the one thing that bothered me is he brought up being under the law. his belief was that christians are not under the law, or ten commandments, and that the only commandments to follow are 1. love the Lord thy God with all your heart, mind, and soul. and 2. love they neighbor as thy self. he said that if you followed those 2 commandments, all the other laws would be followed as a result of love.

am i wrong to think this didnt sound right?????

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
hello all. so i just got back from talking to a preacher up the street from me. i have been questioning salvation, and i have to say that this preacher really confused me. so i asked him a few questions, like are backsliders christian? and is addiction a sin? he said yes to both. but the one thing that bothered me is he brought up being under the law. his belief was that christians are not under the law, or ten commandments, and that the only commandments to follow are 1. love the Lord thy God with all your heart, mind, and soul. and 2. love they neighbor as thy self. he said that if you followed those 2 commandments, all the other laws would be followed as a result of love.

Maybe yes and maybe not. I think you did right to take charge and seek out an answer, but unfortunately, some of these things take more than a quick yes or no type of answer in order to get a handle on the matter.

That's why it might be a good idea if you had a longer discussion or took one of those courses that churches offer which go over the basics in several sessions. I really think you need to get more of your doubts cleared up than just a few questions and quick replies can settle. It sounds to me that he answered what you asked, but was waiting for you to indicate if there was more, and you might have been reluctant to start a longer and more involved discussion. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Yarddog
Upvote 0

NomNomPizza

Feb 23, 2021
Warsaw
✟14,265.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Christians by default were never to begin with under Law because Law was given to Israel and was fullfilled by Christ , another Law was given by Christ to Church and it's 2 commandments he gave us. Love God and neighbour as yourself.

You physically cannot fulfill OT law just because there is no sacrifices , no temple and you aren't a Jew most likelly so you have no land to pay taxes from.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟894,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The law was fulfilled by Jesus Christ of Nazareth.

Upvote 0

Fervent

Sep 22, 2020
San jacinto
✟125,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In short,no were not under the law. Christians are called to a higher standard, as the law merely demanded an outward compliance but Christians are called to an inner transformation by and from the power of the Holy Spirit. The law is a shadow of what was revealed in Christ.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟154,100.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Beware of hearing a part of something that ends in an unbalanced picture. For example, beware of the antinomian (people who are against the law), who claim to be christian, but they live immoral lifestyles. Jesus came to free us from the power of sin as well as from the penalty of it.

The apostle Paul wrote "you are not under law, but under grace." It means that we no longer are condemned by the law, if we have faith in Christ. "There is no condemnation for those in Christ." Yet, he also wrote that we have an obligation to live by the Spirit. It means living our life with the faith that the Spirit is guiding us. Part of that is knowing the words of Jesus, and believing that the Spirit is moving in us to obey His words.

So Christians no longer use the law as a "have to do or else." Yet, we use it as a guide to show us how the sinful nature still tempts us to act against God's will. This realization forces us to appeal to God's power to help us overcome those temptations. This way of living is basic to the Christian life. The grace of God works in us, so we should believe God for it. In that way we become as lights in a dark world.

If we love God, then we will do what He commands. But being "not under law" means that our obedience to God is not a legal burden, but rather is a delight to us, since we have the Spirit of God to make our attitude right. This is what being under grace is. God is at work in us to make us willing to do His will.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Hello,

The Bible does not state that addiction in general is sin, though addition to certain things can be sinful.

In Romans 6:14, Paul described the law that we aren't under as being a law where sin had dominion over us, which does not describe God's law, which is a law where holiness, righteousness, and goodness have dominion over us (Romans 7:12), but rather it is the law of sin where sin had dominion over us. In Romans 6:15, being under grace does not mean that we are permitted to sin, and sin is the transgression of God's law (1 John 3:4), so we are still under God's law.

God's law includes the greatest two commandments, so it is contradictory to think that we are nor under God's law while under the greatest two commandments, especially because the greatest two are inclusive of all of the other laws. In Matthew 22:36-40, Jesus was not asked about which were the only laws that we should follow, but about what the greatest commandment is, and the existence of the greatest two commandments implies that there are still other commandments that are not the greatest. All of the other laws examples of what it means to love God and our neighbor, which is why Jesus said in Matthew 22:36-40, that those are the greatest two commandments and that all of the other laws hang on them, so they are all connected. The moment you try to take just the greatest two commandments, all of the other commandments come with. For example, obedience to the command to help the poor is part of what it means to obey the command to love our neighbor. A sum is the total of all of its parts, so if someone's obedience to the greatest two commandments is not inclusive of obedience to God's other commandments, then they are not treating them as being the sum of the other commandments. In Matthew 24:12-14, it says that because of lawlessness the love of many will grow cold, so that completely undermines that idea that we just need to love and don't need to obey God's law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lifelong_sinner

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
looking back and thinking about the conversation i had, one of the biggest things that stuck out to me is how deeply i believe and try to follow a calvinist doctrine. sproul once said that we should be firm in our belief lest we get blown to and fro on what exactly our beliefs are. in other words, make your election known.

when the preacher was talking today i immediately noticed how his beliefs did not line up with calvinism and i think this is why what he said unsettled me so much. im actually happy to see just how much conviction i have to follow what i believe is the best doctrine for myself. i understand not everyone agrees with calvinism and thats fine. the point is that whichever doctrine you follow, that you follow it seriously, and dont be wishy washy in your belief.

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
but the one thing that bothered me is he brought up being under the law. his belief was that christians are not under the law, or ten commandments, and that the only commandments to follow are 1. love the Lord thy God with all your heart, mind, and soul. and 2. love they neighbor as thy self. he said that if you followed those 2 commandments, all the other laws would be followed as a result of love. am i wrong to think this didnt sound right?????
You're both right. We must follow the Ten Commandments. But we will automatically follow them if we love God and our neighbors.

Does this make sense in the framework of your Calvinist Doctrine?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lifelong_sinner

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
You're both right. We must follow the Ten Commandments. But we will automatically follow them if we love God and our neighbors.

Does this make sense in the framework of your Calvinist Doctrine?

it does, but i guess i prefer the rules being stated rather than implied.

• Agree
Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
it does, but i guess i prefer the rules being stated rather than implied.
I will state the rule.

Romans 13:8
Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.

God is love.

What more needs to be said?

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Lifelong_sinner

Nov 24, 2019
Virginia
✟31,780.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I will state the rule.

Romans 13:8
Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law.

God is love.

What more needs to be said?

still prefer specific laws. Generalizations i feel are open to interpretation.

Upvote 0

Butterball1

Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
✟32,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Christ took ALL the OT law of Moses, along with Judaism, out of the way when He came to earth and died on the cross replacing it with His NT gospel and Christianity. The OT law was only given to the Jews therefore it created a wall of separation between Jews and all non-Jews. Jesus removed that OT law thereby taking down that 'middle wall of partition' (Ephesians 2:14-16) that separated men where all men, Jew and Gentile, could become Christians and be one in Christ, Galatians 3:28.

• Winner
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree.

Christ took ALL the OT law of Moses, along with Judaism, out of the way when He came to earth and died on the cross replacing it with His NT gospel and Christianity. The OT law was only given to the Jews therefore it created a wall of separation between Jews and all non-Jews. Jesus removed that OT law thereby taking down that 'middle wall of partition' (Ephesians 2:14-16) that separated men where all men, Jew and Gentile, could become Christians and be one in Christ, Galatians 3:28.
I don't think God changed His mind about the moral laws, especially the 10 commandments and I'm not aware of any church catechism that teaches that He did.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟320,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Yes, that is correct. We’re still bound to fulfill the revealed moral code, the Ten Commandments, but we only authentically fulfill them to the extent that we love God and neighbor, that we fulfill the greatest commandments IOW. This is how we become clean on the inside. So the law still plays its part in showing us that we sin when we break it, in showing us that we fail to love IOW. And in any case this love is only attainable by fellowship with God, the very Source of love, and that relationship or communion is only entered into and established by faith. “Apart from Me you can do nothing.” John 15:5

Last edited:
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well you’re in a bit of a pickle then, because over half of the 600+ Specific laws in the Law of Moses are impossible to adhere to today, therefore no one does. Not even one person alive today follows the law of Moses.
Not even one.

Which would be a huge bummer if following the Law of Moses is indeed a requirement for salvation.
Good thing it’s not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟678,702.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well you’re in a bit of a pickle then, because over half of the 600+ Specific laws in the Law of Moses are impossible to adhere to today, therefore no one does. Not even one person alive today follows the law of Moses.
Not even one.

Which would be a huge bummer of following the Law of Moses is indeed a requirement for salvation.
Joh 14:15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

Joh 14:21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me.

• Optimistic
Reactions: parousia70
Upvote 0

Butterball1

Dec 31, 2020
Tennessee
✟32,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think God changed His mind about the moral laws, especially the 10 commandments and I'm not aware of any church catechism that teaches that He did.

Christ took the OT law of Moses out of the way including the 10 commandments. Yet Christ in His NT reiterated 9 of the 10 commandments leaving out remembering the Sabbath day, hence Christians are not required to remember the Sabbath as the Jews under the OT law. Therefore lying, stealing, idolatry, adultery, etc are morally wrong NOT because Moses says so in the 10 commandments but because Christ says so in the NT.
Christians/Christianity is guided by the NT, not the OT. OT law regulated the religion of Judaism and the NT regulates Christianity so the Christian must look to the NT. Romans 7:1-6 Paul makes it sinful for the Christian to return back to the OT and try and keep it. He compares it to an adulteress woman married to 2 men at the same time. The Christian is married to Christ and His NT gospel but if the Christian also goes back to keep any of the OT law of Moses then he is marrying himself to two laws (Moses & Christ) committing spiritual adultery against Christ. So when Christ died He took the OT law out of the way freeing us from that law so we can be married to His NT law and therefore not commit spiritual adutlery.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand (Matthew 4:17-23) and the Mosaic Law was how his audience knew what sin is, so repenting from our disobedience to it is an integral part of the Gospel message, which he prophesied would be proclaimed to all nations (Matthew 24:12-14). Furthermore, Jesus set a perfect example of how to practice Judaism by walking in sinless obedience to the Mosaic Law, so he would have still taught full obedience to it by example even if he had said nothing, and as his followers we are told to follow his example (1 Peter 2:21-22) and that those who are in Christ are obligated to walk in the same way he walked (1 John 2:6). In Titus 2:14, it does not say that Christ gave himself to take the Mosaic Law out of the way, but in order to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possessions who are zealous for doing good works, so if we believed in what Jesus accomplished through his ministry and through the cross, then we will become zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law (Acts 21:20), while saying that he came to take the Mosaic Law along with Judaism our of the way undermines everything that he accomplish through his ministry and the cross. The reason that Jesus establish the New Covenant was not in order to undermine anything that he taught by word or by example.

God did not give any laws for the purpose of creating a dividing wall of hostility, but rather God's law instructs us to love our neighbor as ourselves. God did not make any mistakes when He gave the Mosaic Law, so He had no reason to abolish his own laws. All of God's righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160), but Ephesians 2:14-16 is referring to a law that is not eternal, therefore it should not be interpreted as referring to any of God's laws. In Matthew 5:17-19, Jesus specifically said that he came not to abolish the law and warned against relaxing the least part of it or teaching others to do the same, so interpreting Ephesians 2:14-16 as referring to God's law is essentially calling Jesus a liar and disregarding his warning. Likewise, in Romans 3:31, Paul also confirmed that our faith does not abolish our need to obey the Mosaic Law, but rather our faith upholds it.

Upvote 0