No longer sinning after becoming born again?

Eric Myers

Jan 16, 2022
Louisville
✟7,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
This morning I attended my first Calvary Chapel service.
The sermon was preached from 1 Peter 4, and the pastor rather firmly stated that born again Christians never sin. They stop sinning when they get born again.

My own understanding of scripture on this issue is that born again Christians sin less as they mature in the Lord but will never have 100% victory (stop sinning) on this side of heaven.

Not at all seeking to argue the point but rather to learn what the CC stance is on this so I can see if that church is a good fit. I had to leave before the service was over completely so didn't get a chance to chat with the pastor about it and ask. I have emailed him to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
This morning I attended my first Calvary Chapel service.
The sermon was preached from 1 Peter 4, and the pastor rather firmly stated that born again Christians never sin. They stop sinning when they get born again.

My own understanding of scripture on this issue is that born again Christians sin less as they mature in the Lord but will never have 100% victory (stop sinning) on this side of heaven.

Not at all seeking to argue the point but rather to learn what the CC stance is on this so I can see if that church is a good fit. I had to leave before the service was over completely so didn't get a chance to chat with the pastor about it and ask. I have emailed him to ask.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
1John1v8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Couldn't be plainer than that.

• Agree
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
No, when I personally dedicated my life to the Lord over thirty years ago it was through Calvary chapel of which I spent over a decade in and never once heard a sermon teaching 100% sanctification. In your original thread I posted details from their website concerning this topic. Calvary Chapel's stance on born again Christians sinning?

Upvote 0

Eric Myers

Jan 16, 2022
Louisville
✟7,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

Eric Myers

Jan 16, 2022
Louisville
✟7,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
1John1v8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Couldn't be plainer than that.

Well said. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Welcome.

I don't recall this type of teachings at Calvary Chapel. That does not mean all teach their exact Philosophy of Ministry.

If he made that statement it is false and possibly a sin to teach thus. That sin would be self-righteousness. This type of legalism and perfectionism keeps many from ever-growing in their faith, as they live under constant bondage. It is clothed in so many types of teachings.

No, we should not sin, but we do. The gist of a favorite quote I like is, "The secret of the victorious life is not living without failure, and setbacks, doubt, and even sin, it is knowing what to do when you fail, have a setback, doubt, and even sin."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟417,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They stop sinning when they get born again.

ive never heard this either. We can stop doing the major that we give to the Lord and never take them back. We do sin less. My world, my flesh and the devil are Wiley and keep working on me. And my thoughts that feel their way to victory, failing or frustration are definitely not perfect. But John sounded like he didn’t sin in 1john. But he was a son of thunder! How far did Jesus go in his life? The first fruits did many mighty things.

sure makes you wonder and wonder is good. The farther I go the more mistakes I make. Every mistake in the book. More than once. I just can’t be perfect. What where we are maybe with more wrongs than rights. Jesus has paid for it all. Be sincere keep trying, and live in repentance.

Upvote 0