Shaftsbury, Vermont
✟3,808.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess the statue of lib., Grant's tomb don't count as national monuments that deserve protection...but even so...what about the unique system of transportation, the major airports..

I thought that the homeland security troop was for protection against anti american groups of americans..listening to phone conversations...spying on the people...

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
george78 said:
Here is a MUCH better account of what ACTUALLY is going on:

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/printer_6147.shtml

Indeed... We may not agree on much, george, but you're right: This is a better account of what's ACTUALLY going on.

New York was going to receive $124.5 million in anti-terrorism grants for cities at high risk of attacks, an initial deep cut of some 40 percent from its normally bloated anti-terrorism grants. However, the recent ‘holier than thou’ comments [From NY rep. Peter King] have forced the Secretary of Homeland Security, Michael Chertoff, to reconsider and cut 40 percent more of the grant money.
“If they keep this up, I’ll gut ‘em like a fish,” fired Secretary Chertoff. “Who does Rep. King think he is, and who does he think is in power? This is the American taxpayers’ dollars. We’ll spend it where we see fit.”

So this is basically retaliation... Chertoff cuts off ANOTHER 40% because he doesn't like a few comments.

Secretary Chertoff also noted that New York has been smug for far too long and needed a little lesson in self-reliance. He commented that this “declaration of war” was the perfect time to “teach them that lesson,” a lesson that’s well-known in many “hick” areas of the country.

Smug too long? Yeah, New York has been pretty haughty ever since those two skyscrapers downtown got attacked. Remember those, Chertoff?

"Declaration of War"? Our Minister of Homeland Security is "declaring war" against our own homeland!

Let's "“teach them that lesson,” a lesson that’s well-known in many “hick” areas [read: Red States] of the country." -- What might that lesson be? Heil Bush?

Perhaps if New Orleans had known that lesson, FEMA might be helping it.

Until now, the grants have been determined by a city’s population. Homeland Security still is weighing population as a factor in the grants, but it’s largely awarding the money based on a city’s threat risk and how effectively the city will use the funds.

But now, the key factor is political affiliation. It's so clear now.

Welcome to Amerika -- One Nation Under Bush.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Secretary Chertoff also noted that New York has been smug for far too long and needed a little lesson in self-reliance.
I know the above is satire, but it bears repeating that NY gives far more to the federal government than it gets back. Our industriousness subsidizes the south.

As it always has, actually.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
burrow_owl said:
I know the above is satire, but it bears repeating that NY gives far more to the federal government than it gets back. Our industriousness subsidizes the south.

As it always has, actually.

D'oh! I just re-read the article and noted that the author is a satirist.

Even I'm not immune to Poe's Law.

Upvote 0