• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured No Graven Images...

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Carl Emerson, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,984
    Christian
    Single
    I was under the impression we were talking graven images here, not pictures.

Moses?

2. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,984
    Christian
    Single
    Would you agree the following means we should not do one or the other, as in not worship them or bow down to them whether we worship them or not? Take note of the "or" there.

3. Grip Docility

Grip Docility Well-Known Member

+1,665
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    There are people that fear Spiritual Artwork of any kind, because of the command.

The issue is also that some people try to make distinction between the Stone and the Book of the Law (Deuteronomy 31:26)... The Stone is a symbol, while the Book of the Law contains the 10, as well as 603 following (Mitzvahs/Laws)... which totals 613.

All blessings in Jesus Christ to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. NeedyFollower

NeedyFollower Well-Known Member

+393
    Anabaptist
    Celibate
    I am so not in favor of bashing anyone although I am not a catholic in the roman sense . It seems to me that the whole world has been caught up in idol worship of some form or fashion . I recently spoke to an immigrant from mexico to the US . He said he believed in God but LOVED the USA . Is God not supposed to have first place ?
    I believe Protestants can worship traditions and images of truths . I know many people I grew up with worship "the church " in which I grew up . My hope is that our faith is in God through His Son Jesus Christ who bought us , for He is eternal .
    I know many people who have great reverence for the bible but never read it . So it may as well not exist . ( In all practicality , it does not exist for them . )
    As it relates to the OP's question . When Jacob wanted to offer a sacrafice to God after wrestling with Him and receiving a blessing , the Lord told him to stack up stones just like he found them . Do not put a chisel to them . It seems to me anyway , that God knows that what ever we touch , we end up worshiping ...in the sens of " Look what I did ! " .. I do not know why we tend to worship , love and nurture inanimate objects but we seem to . What would we spend more money on ...orphans from Haiti or a new ( or old ) church building ? I wrote this to you but I promise it was not directed at catholics any more than all of us . ( The whole body of Christ . )

5. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+1,582
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    I see idolatry whenever anyone bows before an artificial image,

whenever they pray to it,

whenever they burn incense to it,

and whenever they lay flowers and gifts at its feet.

They say that they do not worship it, that they only venerate it, but that's what the Hindus say about their sacred cows. It's just another euphemism. They say that it is not their god, but only a symbol of their God; yet, that's exactly how the ancient Greek pagans treated their idols. They were only symbols, focal points, references, et cetera, but they were idols, nonetheless.

6. ChicanaRose

ChicanaRose Well-Known Member

+1,078
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    You applied your own logic to my comment.

Have a nice day.

7. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,960
    Anglican
    Married
    Not really. For one thing, the Catholic Church calls it worship, too. She merely says it is a different kind of worship from the worship that is directed towards God.

But more than that, it's like that old saying about "If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck, if it quacks like a duck...its a duck." If people engage in the acts of worship, then it's reasonable to conclude that they are engaged in worship, even if they claim some mental reservation or re-define it.

8. Loversofjesus_2018

Loversofjesus_2018 Active Member

+128
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    But our opinions don’t matter. Either we know for sure or we don’t know. There is no in between.

9. Chris V++

Chris V++ In Orbit Supporter

+733
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    There's a practice of burying a St Joseph statue in your yard if you desire to sell your house. How to Bury St joseph Statue | St Joseph Statue

I would say this ranks at about an 8 on a 10 scale of compelling an action from a higher power based on manipulation of a material object, in this case, a statue of St. Joseph. Would burying a statue in your yard to petition /compel St Joseph to facilitate your home sale qualify as idolatry?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  10. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+769
    Catholic
    Single
    Bowing is only a gesture. You don't need to bow at something/someone to worship it. We are not required to bow in front of Mary or Saint/Angel statues, we can stand or sit on something during the meditation. That is what bowing is.

It is more of a gesture/position that has been a cultural norm for most christians to meditate. The gestures don't define worship, it's the intent. I can salute or even plank in front of an image, and if my intention was for that to be devotion than it is more of an act of worship than any catholic "bowing".

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  11. Grip Docility

Grip Docility Well-Known Member

+1,665
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I think people need to be rational about this matter. Sometimes we need pictures and stuff to focus our internal understanding.

I do not believe that the Catholic Church is practicing "Idolatry", but facilitating an atmosphere that turns peoples minds to biblical matters and above all, Jesus Christ.

I've even heard Christians go on about how the Crucifix shouldn't have Jesus on the Cross, still....

God endowed the ability of Free Thinking and Creativity upon mankind. The fact that many people like to use that ability to Glorify God, most likely doesn't tick God off.

Now if a person actually thinks the items are God... well, they would be wrong and don't understand what Jesus was saying when He explained this... Matthew 23:17

I maintain that the Catholic Church (The Brick and Mortar, not the Invisible Universal BOC)... is full of many... shocker... MEMBERS of the BOC.

The whole "the Mother Church" is the Beast and Anti Christ babble is the most naive idea within Pop-Christianity.

12. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,960
    Anglican
    Married
    That's probably correct, but many people do a lot more than that; and there comes a point at which any reasonable person should say, in all honesty, that what's going on is indistinguishable from worshipping God.

13. ChicanaRose

ChicanaRose Well-Known Member

+1,078
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Do you mean like the Thai version of respect?

14. Cis.jd

Cis.jd Well-Known Member

+769
    Catholic
    Single
    I don't disagree. I've seen several videos from Mexico and other 3rd world countries, not every catholic is educated and regardless of us being under the church, many catholics do retain some of their native cultures (or myths if you will) such as Catholics who are from countries with Spanish-colonial history.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,960
    Anglican
    Married
    I've seen it in the USA also--among church members who are not in the least of that descent. These were events planned and scripted by the Church itself.

16. Al Masihi

Al Masihi Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,830
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    A graven image is an image of idol worship not comparable to a religious image used for respect or to remember the person depicted in it.

17. Al Masihi

Al Masihi Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,830
    Saudi Arabia
    Christian
    Private
    yes we shouldn’t make a graven image to bow or worship it, a graven image is an image of worship as another god not a normal image we see in Church.

18. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+20,960
    Anglican
    Married
    When does respect become worship? That is a question to be addressed.

19. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,643
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Both the Old Testament prophet who penned the commandment as well as those to whom it was addressed knew precisely what it meant: That is that they were not to worship the gods of the pagans with whom they often shared territory, nor to fashion such gods as those pagans worshiped. Religious art or artifacts glorifying the God of Israel is/are not harmful to God's people.

20. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,643
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    He became seen when He became flesh, so Christ can now be depicted, and He is.