Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
x 20:3 You shall have no other gods before Me. 4 You shall not make for yourself an idol of any kind, or an image of anything in the heavens above, the earth below, or the waters under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on their children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,…
The commandment has two parts, the creation of an image and the bowing down or worship of said image. Its this second part that qualifies the first. In other words if God meant not to make any image He wouldn't have then commanded the construction of the Ark with the Cherubim or the Bronze Serpent later on in the text. The Bronze serpent later became an idol so it was destroyed but was not intended as such when created. More importantly the Bronze serpent is type and shadow of Christ.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The commandment has two parts, the creation of an image and the bowing down or worship of said image. Its this second part that qualifies the first. In other words if God meant not to make any image He wouldn't have then commanded the construction of the Ark with the Cherubim or the Bronze Serpent later on in the text. The Bronze serpent later became an idol so it was destroyed but was not intended as such when created. More importantly the Bronze serpent is type and shadow of Christ.
I believe you are right about this. However I also think that calling anything for which we have strong affection by the term idol is a modern metaphor. When idol is used in scripture, I think it means an actual image, contrary to the proposition given to us in the original post (below) for our consideration.

So the question remains - what is the second commandment referring to?

If the issue was the worship of God alone and not just referring to making images, then does that open the commandment to idols of fleshly passion in our lives?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟667,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some religious art is believed to facilitate miracles or to exhibit miraculous qualities (crying statues, myrrh streaming icons) What is to be believed about these graven images? As someone pointed out the Bronze Serpent was destroyed due to how the people responded to it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Some religious art is believed to facilitate miracles or to exhibit miraculous qualities (crying statues, myrrh streaming icons) What is to be believed about these graven images?

That isn't about idolatry, strictly speaking. You are referring to the practice of attributing something else to those particular artifacts or images.

Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most Western people don't have a clear understanding of idols.

If you come here to Taiwan, you will see many temples, idols and foods sacrificed to idols, just like the Bible refers to. Of course, Christians don't use these things, but they are part of our everyday experience. If you want to see some pictures just google: taiwan temple idols.

Upvote 0

Lords Man

Feb 15, 2016
Big Sandy Texas
✟7,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Dear friends,

The second commandment requires some interpretation.

Ex 20:3 You shall have no other gods before Me. 4 You shall not make for yourself an idol of any kind, or an image of anything in the heavens above, the earth below, or the waters under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on their children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,…

But during the construction of the Ark of Covenant - craftsmen were required to make images of the Cherabim.
1 Kings 6:23 In the inner sanctuary he made two cherubim, each ten cubits high, out of olive wood. 24One wing of the first cherub was five cubits long, and the other wing was five cubits long as well. So the full wingspan was ten cubits.…

And here, Moses is instructed to make a graven image...
Numb 21:8 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Make a snake and mount it on a pole. When anyone who is bitten looks at it, he will live.” 9So Moses made a bronze snake and mounted it on a pole. If anyone who was bitten looked at the bronze serpent, he would recover.

If the issue was the worship of God alone and not just referring to making images, then does that open the commandment to idols of fleshly passion in our lives?

How about objects of worship in our churches - crosses, saints, crucifixes, Mary...

Let's try and have a civil discussion about this...

So, is your point that there are contradictions in Scripture?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If you come here to Taiwan, you will see many temples, idols and foods sacrificed to idols, just like the Bible refers to. Of course, Christians don't use these things, but they are part of our everyday experience. If you want to see some pictures just google: taiwan temple idols.
If I am right about what you are telling us, it amounts to denying that merely having visual aids (graven images) does not constitute idolatry. It requires you also to USE them in a certain way which, as you say, is not typical of Christianity. Is that correct?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Dear friends,

Ex 20:3 You shall have no other gods before Me. 4 You shall not make for yourself an idol of any kind, or an image of anything in the heavens above, the earth below, or the waters under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on their children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,…

But during the construction of the Ark of Covenant - craftsmen were required to make images of the Cherabim.
1 Kings 6:23 In the inner sanctuary he made two cherubim, each ten cubits high, out of olive wood. 24One wing of the first cherub was five cubits long, and the other wing was five cubits long as well. So the full wingspan was ten cubits.…

Numb 21:8 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Make a snake and mount it on a pole. When anyone who is bitten looks at it, he will live.” 9So Moses made a bronze snake and mounted it on a pole. If anyone who was bitten looked at the bronze serpent, he would recover.

How about objects of worship in our churches - crosses, saints, crucifixes, Mary...

Carved images referred to the practice of making an image to worship it.

It's artwork plus idolatry, nothing wrong with the artwork.

Also it is important to note that the Bronze Serpent which was something God used to heal people in the wilderness from poison (which was a trust in God application) was later worshiped as a snake god. So that might help answer your question from one of your examples.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Most Western people don't have a clear understanding of idols.

Most western people hold their idol in their hands and have their eyes on it constantly as they move to their destination.

What you have mentioned is an important cultural divide to consider when reading the text, since the entertainment value the ancient peoples would have derived from an idol, would be really boring to the overstimulated by technology people.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Peter J Barban

Mar 29, 2016
Taiwan
Visit site
✟97,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I am right about what you are telling us, it amounts to denying that merely having visual aids (graven images) does not constitute idolatry. It requires you also to USE them in a certain way which, as you say, is not typical of Christianity. Is that correct?

I see visual aids as a slippery slope. Even in Bible times, people thought the idols had divine power or gave you a connection to divine power. If you are worshipping the image as a special conduit to God, that is a problem. However, I doubt many Christians are actually breaking the aforementioned commandment in this way. This is not the kind of law you can accidentally break.

Also, any image limits our ability to worship the fullness of God. How many of us, through no fault of our own, imagine a European Renaissance Jesus when we worship? That's because we know these images so well. But that limits our appreciation for the Jewishness of Jesus. And how many Christians have rejected Jews because we can't see Jesus in their faces?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see visual aids as a slippery slope.
Yes, I think that's correct to say.
Also, any image limits our ability to worship the fullness of God. How many of us, through no fault of our own, imagine a European Renaissance Jesus when we worship? That's because we know these images so well. But that limits our appreciation for the Jewishness of Jesus.
I'm not convinced of that. ;)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I just don't think it matters much what Christ looked like exactly, and if art such as that type puts us more in mind about Jesus, able to think more vividly about him, then fine. Its like having a cheche/manger scene at Christmas time.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Images =/= visual mediums. It's human psychology that our brains have a bigger connection/focus when we are able to use our senses (vision). For example, if you lost a loved one. Would you rather have a picture of this person or just a piece of paper with his/her name written on it? You would prefer the picture because you as a person can emotionally express and connect more to the visual medium.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dear friends,

what you call the second commandment some still call it the first commandment.

• Prayers
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟893,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear friends,

In both cases these were instructions by God Himself for a specific purpose. These were not man made idols to another god like the golden calf. Neither of these exist today and there has been no other command by God to build any such thing since. Jesus Christ of Nazareth fulfilled all.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about people who bow down to their Bibles?

What about people who bow down to their beds when kneeling by them to pray?

Out of here......I knew it would become a Catholic bashing thread :doh:

From the beginning, you came in with this preconception. So it's hard to convince you that this is not about Catholic bashing when you had already made up your mind that it is.

Reactions: yellowMan
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
From the beginning, you came in with this preconception. So it's hard to convince you that this is not about Catholic bashing when you had already made up your mind that it is.
Have you ever noticed that no one whines about any alleged "Methodist bashing" or "Congregationalist bashing," etc. although they take their share of criticism? Its always one denomination.

• Agree
Reactions: ChicanaRose
Upvote 0

ChicanaRose

Mar 26, 2019
west coast
✟75,698.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Images =/= visual mediums. It's human psychology that our brains have a bigger connection/focus when we are able to use our senses (vision). For example, if you lost a loved one. Would you rather have a picture of this person or just a piece of paper with his/her name written on it? You would prefer the picture because you as a person can emotionally express and connect more to the visual medium.

Would bowing down to Mary be a violation of the second commandment? I've seen people talk to the gravestones of their beloved deceased ones; and salute the gravestones of fallen war heroes.

But then they don't bow down to the gravestones. So the bowing down/ kneeling down to Marian statues seems a little different.

Upvote 0