• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured No Graven Images...

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Carl Emerson, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson Well-Known Member

+1,147
    New Zealand
    Christian
    Married
    Dear friends,

The second commandment requires some interpretation.

Ex 20:3 You shall have no other gods before Me. 4 You shall not make for yourself an idol of any kind, or an image of anything in the heavens above, the earth below, or the waters under the earth. 5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on their children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,…

But during the construction of the Ark of Covenant - craftsmen were required to make images of the Cherabim.
    1 Kings 6:23 In the inner sanctuary he made two cherubim, each ten cubits high, out of olive wood. 24One wing of the first cherub was five cubits long, and the other wing was five cubits long as well. So the full wingspan was ten cubits.…

And here, Moses is instructed to make a graven image...
    Numb 21:8 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Make a snake and mount it on a pole. When anyone who is bitten looks at it, he will live.” 9So Moses made a bronze snake and mounted it on a pole. If anyone who was bitten looked at the bronze serpent, he would recover.

So the question remains - what is the second commandment referring to?

If the issue was the worship of God alone and not just referring to making images, then does that open the commandment to idols of fleshly passion in our lives?

How about objects of worship in our churches - crosses, saints, crucifixes, Mary...

Let's try and have a civil discussion about this...

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. TuxAme

TuxAme Quis ut Deus? Supporter

+3,198
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    Do we think that God would've been okay with painted or drawn images simply because He only referred to graven ones? This simple question sinks the claims of iconoclasts. The Lord didn't mean for this sentence to be understood on its own- He connected it to a prohibition against serving any "god" but Him.

So, graven images? Perfectly fine. Bowing down and worshipping? Also good. Worshipping the images (or other gods)? Not kosher.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • List
  3. ChicanaRose

ChicanaRose Well-Known Member

+1,013
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    In cases that God instructed them to make an image in the Scripture, it is okay because it's God's command.

(I can't say the same regarding private revelations where people claim Jesus told them to make an image of Himself).

But I don't think people bowed down to the cherubs or worshipped the bronze snake in the Bible.

4. TuxAme

TuxAme Quis ut Deus? Supporter

+3,198
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    It's always okay to make an image because simple carving isn't what God was prohibiting. You said it yourself- no one was worshipping the snake or Ark. You acknowledge a connection between the two commands.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. ChicanaRose

+1,013
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I didn't argue it's okay to always make an image, and it is not necessary for you to convince me of that. If that is what you believe, then I respect that. But please refrain from imposing it on me

6. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+3,706
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    Nobody i know of in the Catholic church worships, crucifixes, statues, saints or Mary. If anybody thinks otherwise, then it proves they dont know or understand Catholicism.

I am betting this turns out to be yet another Catholic bashing thread!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. David Cabrera

David Cabrera Catechumen

+3,224
    Ecuador
    Christian
    Single
    US-Republican
    They hated him because he told them the truth.

8. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+995
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    How about any image that usurps devotion that would otherwise be given to God? This can even be erected in our mind that our heart devotes itself to.
    "You shall have no other gods before Me." this speaks of any thing coming before God, not just physical idols. One of the Reformers rightly said 'our hearts are an idol factory'.
    Bonus question. Do the images on our TVs and computer screens fall under the 1st Commandment?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. crossnote

crossnote Berean Supporter

+995
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Betting again? tsk tsk. lol

10. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+2,241
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    "[Hezekiah] removed the high places and broke the sacred pillars, cut down the wooden image and broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made; for until those days the children of Israel burned incense to it, and called it Nehushtan." 2 Kings 18:4 NKJV

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. ChicanaRose

+1,013
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Thank you.

12. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+2,241
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Michael Card has a song about the bronze serpent.
    Lift Up the Suffering Symbol

13. thecolorsblend

thecolorsblend If God is your Father, who is your Mother?

+5,570
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Those items are not "objects of worship". At least, not in the sense that they are worshiped. Anybody who does that is on very thin ice indeed. They may facilitate worship of God though, which is perhaps what you intended to say.

14. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+5,055
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    The pairs of cherubim I think are highly instructive. Since they were at both ends facing each other, they both led the eye toward the middle, toward the mercy seat, which symbolized the throne of God. But there was no graven image of God himself, because he is unseen.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. ChicanaRose

+1,013
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    What about people who bow down to Mary statues?

16. Garlic Magnet

Garlic Magnet Augsburg Catholic

+10
    United States
    Lutheran
    Private
    US-Others
    Friendly reminder that Roman Catholics, Old Catholics, and Lutherans number the Decalogue in a different manner than Protestants, Jews, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox. We take after the manner of St. Augustine who took the second commandment to be, "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God."

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. thecolorsblend

+5,570
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    What about them?

18. thecolorsblend

+5,570
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others

19. thecolorsblend

+5,570
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others

20. Lost4words

Lost4words In reality, an old dog! Supporter

+3,706
    United Kingdom
    Catholic
    Single
    What about people who bow down to their Bibles?

What about people who bow down to their beds when kneeling by them to pray?

Out of here......I knew it would become a Catholic bashing thread :doh:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List