Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HiredGoon in post #139:

I notice that we are not talking about simple food cannibalism here. How did Brebeuf observe this without being eaten or killed himself?
No, we're not talking about simple food cannibalism. The cannibalism practiced by some Eastern Woodland Indian groups was a ritualistic practice carried out on some enemy captives. Not all enemies captured were cannibalized, some were adopted or traded. Brebeuf lived with the Hurons and established a mission with them, he observed their practices, and is known as one of the first Europeans to write a serious study of Indian culture. In 1649 he was captured, tortured and killed, and said to be the victim of ritualistic cannibalism by the Iroquois. There's a theory that one of the sources for the name "Mohawk" may be the Algonquian word for "man-eaters." As for Alexander Henry's account of cannibalism, he directly witnessed the eating of a private Williams after the Fall of Fort Michilimackinac in 1763. Henry was saved and adopted by an Indian family, and therefore kept from being the victim of cannibalism.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Cannibalism, human sacrifices etc, are not the gist of this thread. Nor are Aztec practices and 17th C. Iroquois practices, as neither belong to the realm of "the United State(s) of America."

As I have argued before, "cannibalism" -- whether actual, greatly exaggerated, or imaginary -- is nothing but a component of the construction called "savage," which itself is a nothing but a tool to enable a mentality in which genocide can happen.

Else, we get an argument on these lines:

The state propagated extermination of the indigineous peoples in the 19th century California was justified because the distant Eastern Woodland groups were said to have practiced ritualistic cannibalism in the distant colonial times. Therefore, the extermination policy was merely a rightful punishment. After all, the indigenous peoples of California, although in no way related to the earlier and already nearly extinct Eastern Woodland nations, still shared the same vast North American continent and hence clearly were partners in crime.

Reactions: CCGirl
Upvote 0

CCGirl

Resident Commie
Sep 21, 2005
Canada
✟27,370.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
On the subject of American Indians and farming, straying into the southern hemisphere:

World Book on Corn:

"Corn was first used for food 10,000 years ago by Indians living in what is now Mexico. For hundreds of years, the Indians gathered corn from wild plants. About 5,000 BC, they had learned how to grow corn themselves."

I don't believe that agriculture in the Eastern Hemisphere developed any sooner or faster than this.

World Book under Indians:
"The Indians grew many foods that the newcomers had never heard of, such as avocados, corn, peanuts, peppers, pineapples, potatoes, squash, and tomatoes. They also introduced the whites to tobacco."

Four corn: "The Indians of central Mexico and western South America grew flour corn perhaps more than 5,000 years ago."

"The oldest known fossil corncobs are about 7,000 years old."

World Book on Squash:
"Squashes are highly nutritious."
"Indians introduced them [squashes]to the first European explorers who reached the New World."

Um....agriculture was first developed in the Middle East about 12,000 years ago.

Link

Excavations at more than 50 sites over the last half-century have established the Fertile Crescent of the Middle East as the homeland of the first farmers.

This arc of land, broadly defined, extends from Israel through Lebanon and Syria, then through the plains and hills of Iraq and southern Turkey and all the way to the head of the Persian Gulf. Among its "founder crops" were wheat, barley, various legumes, grapes, melons, dates, pistachios and almonds. The region also produced the first domesticated sheep, goats, pigs and cattle.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
HiredGoon in post #141:
" Brebeuf lived with the Hurons and established a mission with them, he observed their practices, and is known as one of the first Europeans to write a serious study of Indian culture. In 1649 he was captured, tortured and killed, and said to be the victim of ritualistic cannibalism by the Iroquois."

So he did eventually fall victim to it. Sad.

"Cannibalism was widespread in northern South America and the West Indies at the time of discovery, and extended to the Gulf Coast tribes of the present United States."
--Encyclopedia Americana, 1998

I don't believe that we were taught anything about this in school. We were taught to associate cannibalism with Africa.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Kalevalatar in post #142:
"As I have argued before, "cannibalism" -- whether actual, greatly exaggerated, or imaginary -- is nothing but a component of the construction called "savage," which itself is a nothing but a tool to enable a mentality in which genocide can happen."

I don't know any instance where cannibalism has been used to justify genocide.

In the quote from the Declaration of Independence which you partially gave earlier:
"He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions."

Most of the points made in the Declaration of Independence are true and even non-controversial, but this one is over the top from beginning to end. Perhaps some realized it at the time. It accuses the Indians undisciplined warfare but certainly does not accuse them of cannibalism. I don't know of any evidence that that point in the Declaration of Independence ever contributed to any actual atrocities.

Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know any instance where cannibalism has been used to justify genocide.

For centuries, jews have been accused of cannibalism, human sacrifice, and whatnot, and Nazis were happy to exploit the mentality:

The cover of Nazi propaganda magazine Der Stürmer 1934, showing eight children hanging upside down, the blood from their cut throats being collected in a dish by two Jews. The purpose was to keep alive the old myth that Jews practiced ritual murder of Christians. The headline reads: "Jewish Murder Plan against Gentile Humanity Revealed." Not unlike this.

Another Der Stürmer cover with the title "Der Satan -- Satan," arguing that the Jews were in league with the Devil.

"Satan" or "savage," what is the difference? The purpose is to portray the other human being as something far less human.

Upvote 0

Dale

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2003
Sebring, FL
✟664,282.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Kalevalatar in post #146:
"For centuries, jews have been accused of cannibalism, human sacrifice, and whatnot, and Nazis were happy to exploit the mentality"

I was referring to actual cannibalism, not wild accusations.

Upvote 0

DLaurier

Jan 20, 2007
✟7,721.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
Being Metis, I am a little close to this issue, There were several campaigns of deliberate genocide against us. Most were not sucessfull.
Those that were include, The destruction of the Dellaware, the Winnebego, The Beothuk, and the Yahi.
(my spelling may be incorrect)

The Beothuk were exterminated by the British military,
The Dellaware and the Winnebego were both exterminated by the "blue devils" (American military)
the Yahi were exterminated in 1905 by American bounty hunters, with the full consent of the govrnment.

Several 18th and 19th century American presidents expressed the clear intention to exterminate my southern cousins, And most made a serious effort to act upon it.

Here in Canada the official policy was not Genocide but ETHNOCIDE. Equaly evil, but without the overt violence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
From time to time I hear the US accused of committing genocide against American Indians.
There was no genocide, at least not in Ohio. The indians killed as many people as the white people did. 200 years ago there was about 40,000 people in Ohio. French, Indians, British and Americans. After the treaty of 1812 there were over 750,000 people that moved into ohio, once it had been secured and the war was over. People like Cleveland were buying huge amounts of land for as little as ten cents an acre and selling it for as much as $2 per acre.

Do you know what Ohio cost the United States government? 500 pounds of black powder. The British and some Indians from Detroit were crossing the Ohio river to go into Ky to give the settlers problems. The people from Ky had no choice but to go up to Detroit to take care of the situation. George Rogers Clark lead a group of mostly settlers up to Detroit and ended up securing Ohio as the 18 state.

I think this stuff about genocide is not supported by the history books. Most of the indians were pretty peace loving people and there was only a few young ones that were interested in fighting. Just like there were some young americans that were looking for a war to fight. Whenever two different groups of people want the same peice of land. There always seems to be people who want to go off to war and fight about it and that usually settles the issue.

Upvote 0

BelindaP

Senior Contributor
Sep 21, 2006
Indianapolis
✟20,888.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes I would like to see it. That is the greatest joy of history, handling primary sources, and sometimes finding yourself the first to evaluate it for a particular purpose. The word "exterminate" is interesting and it would be useful to know what was meant. Today we think of the pest control man but the root word from 1541 is "L. exterminare" meaning "drive out, expel".... I do agree though, there is evidence of genocidal intent, at least by some definitions.

I haven't gotten back to look at the Jackson county history, but I do have images from a Lawrence county history, which is the county adjacent to Jackson County. Please let me know if you would like for me to e-mail them to you. Here is the quote, for the record.

"The Indian was a cruel, barbarous race, and their position in the scale of civilization was very low. Just treatment was extended to his race, but he reciprocated with murder, treachery and bloody outrage, and today he is approaching a well-deserved extinction as a race."

Reference: History of Larwence and Monroe Counties Indiana: Their People, Industries and Institutions, Illustrated; 1914, B. F. Bowen & Co, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana

Upvote 0

Oye11

Veteran
May 25, 2006
Florida
✟17,913.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I was going through some of my old History posts in here, for old time`s sake, and it came to my attention that I promised a reply to a post but went on vacation and forgot to make it. A reply was warranted so I decided to go ahead and write it up. Better late then never and on what was a quite interesting thread as a whole. Enjoy, and who knows perhaps the person it is addressed to is still around and will venture a reply. I personally don`t have the time on my hands that I used to but will answer at my convenience. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oye11

Veteran
May 25, 2006
Florida
✟17,913.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
"National obsession with scalping" -- your words, not mine. You are setting yourself up against yet another straw man.

Two things here. First, you are the one demanding primary source material to back up historical claims, and you completely ignored questions which illustrate that your sources are insufficient. Based on three 19th C. news reports, two of which were written about the same time and in the same Pacific Northwest region, you conclude there is some dash across the land to kill kids and sell scalps. Well your sources are way too limited in time and space to support your thesis. 19th C. newspapers are also notorious for exaggeration.

Second, you cry "staw man."

But in your previous post you said...

"The euro-americans, however, who ascribed no ritual/spiritual value to the perverse act of scalping, practiced it all over the board and at all times."

Wow "...all over the board and at all times." Sounds like a "national obsession" as much as the hoolahoop, the death of Elvis, or Oprah. Only difference is it allegedly lasted a lot longer....

The only "straw man" here is yours to avoid defending your claims. Just cry "straw man" and move on. That`s easy.

"I'm familiar with Mr. Lewy and this particular essee of his (why, it's been already debated in this thread), so why this link? I'm sorry, but a link to an essay by somebody else, no matter how estimable a historian, will not pass for a source for specifics of when, where, how, who. You do realize Mr. Lewy's piece is just one paper among an array of papers on the subject and still very much open for debate? You are supposed to debate for yourself, not take cover behind Mr. Lewy's broad shoulders. And although it would be convinient indeed if I just took your word for it -- your alleged "knowledge base" or "recollections" of what was said here and there or the # books you tell me you have in a box -- that's not how it works, is it?

Nor has it even remotely worked the way you characterize it as you have been repeatedly challenged by myself. Source citations are not required for common knowledge claims, such as the fact that U.S. govt policy was often aimed toward preservation, eg. reservations, vaccinations, and other public aid. This evidence was presented and it of course undermines your national genocidal agenda theory. Your only defense was to try and compare the reservation system and related programs to Siberian prisons under Stalin. And you were promptly knocked off this point when it was noted just how desperate you are with such emotion driven, forced parallels. Not to mention that you haven`t even begun to prove any govt inspired, national movement to exterminate the Native Ams. What evidence you manged to present was isolated in time and region and often not far removed from the common slash and burn warefare practices of the day. And this harsh, by our modern standards, style of warefare didn`t apply to only one side of the conflict...

And you would prefer it were just a couple of "incidents"? That would be more comfortable a thought for you?

Preference, your`s or mine is irrelevant. You set the standard here, demanding primary source material as evidence. Two of your three local newspaper articles, famous for exaggeration and embellishment, as just noted, have quite limited use. Ahh, source evaluation and done by myself, not Lewy. That`s historical debate. This has been the norm. So on this point you are a liar. Is just no kinder way to put it as you know you were repeatedly dealt with directly by myself and with recognized methods. The critique here is of your use of sources. Where are the rest? You haven`t even begun to make the case with sources for any "ALL over the board and at ALL times" (emphasis mine) practice of scalping by the settlers. Bring the stuff. A hint, there is better stuff out there than what you offered if you want to shine your light on the military. Though you set a high standard for yourself that`s a good place to start. And the larger problem here is, why can`t you live up to your own lofty standards? Where are the primary sources? And if you get over that hurdle you still haven`t discredited the historical question, regarding the relation of Native Am scalping to the settler`s "savage" perception, which isn`t necessarily obviated by tit for tat. More on that later.

No. Like I said, today we as 20th C. people already recognize, unlike most of those folks back in the 18th or 19th C., that there is no moral high ground: it is just one savage calling another savage a "savage;" or one human being calling another human being a "savage."

Give me a break...LOL In your world capitalists, The U.S., Euro settlers, American government then and even to the modern era are on the “moral low ground." This while certain Native Ams who scalped and ate human body parts purportedly only for religious reasons, and who likewise allegedly never raped or offered sex for payment before the "intruders" arrived, get the high ground. Your posts are still up and it`s easy to connect the dots. We are well aware of this idealized, counter-culture school of thought in America history and, given the internet, it`s no surprise that it found it`s way to Finland.

And might that have something to do with the fact that the topic of this thread is "No genocide of American Indians in US"? You do realize that Aztecs do not really figure in that context? Although Canada would certainly be an intersting point of comparison, considering that Canada and the USA share the same continent and the same "origins", if you like, and yet Canada's history and "Indian policy" differ considerably from that of the United States of America's.

LOL That is very funny. You don`t like the evidence that is getting put on the table so you try to stifle the discussion based on the original language of the thread title. But like most internet discussions that continue a while new questions ultimately are raised. Not to mention that you do not have even a grasp of elementary level geography as it pertains to this part of the world. Since when is the region of the Aztecs, Mexico, not part of the N. American continent? Heck just occasionally listening to the news would tell you that. Ever heard of "NAFTA"? You need to begin with the basics, like pick up a map, before trying to teach about this area of history. You bring up "capitalism" in a negative light and I bring up the Aztecs, early inhabitants of the North American continent who had a real penchant for greed and exploitation. These also had similar migration patterns and possessed real genetic and some cultural similarities to the tribes above the Gulf and Rio Grande. And your attempt to partitian off the discussion within what are now the boundaries of the U.S. is plain absurd as reports regarding natives to the north and south were all part and parcel to the shaping of the settler perceptions, mindset. There was travel and trade between the regions, common ports, and Spanish reports surely made it to and beyond the Gulf region so there is relevance to certain historical questions that have been considered on this thread.

A dime adventure novel? You really don't have a clue, do you? Mr. Cody's THE LIFE OF HON. WILLIAM F. CODY KNOWN AS BUFFALO BILL THE FAMOUS HUNTER, SCOUT AND GUIDE: AN AUTOBIOGRAPHY (The Life and Adventures of "Buffalo Bill" (1917) by Colonel William F. Cody) is an autobiography. And autobiographies are perfectly legitimate primary sources right there beside other personal narratives such as diaries and letters. And Mr. Cody's happen to feature on the list of key documents of American history, right beside his friend and contemporary Theodore Roosevelt's autobiography; Library of Congress lists it under "History: United States (regional) and the Americans,""Frontier and pioneer life--West (U.S.)." CALL NUMBER F594 .C672 DIGITAL ID mtfgc 19551.
If I am "shooting myself in the head" by using Mr. Cody's said autobiography, then I am in good company indeed, because so do Patricia Nelson Limerick, Henry Nash Smith, Richard Slotkin, and Richard White, to name a few.

The way you approach defending a source proves beyond doubt that history isn`t your field. Is every book listed in the Library of Congress suited for every historical question? Your girl Patricia Nelson Limerick doesn`t think so and thus far she doesn`t sound like any "good company" of yours in the matter of using Cody with accuracy in view...

In the U.S. History Companion she writes

Marketing both himself and his show, Buffalo Bill Cody traded heavily on the authentic adventures in his personal history. He had in truth been a child of the West and a genuine scout and hunter. But the necessary theatricality of the Wild West Show, the flourishes of dime novelists using Cody as their main character, and Cody's own creative habits as an embellisher of his autobiography soon made the line dividing authenticity from illusion an impossible one to trace.

Buffalo Bill Cody: Biography from Answers.com

Nothing less than exactly what I told you.... So can you show me where some of the others you think are your "good company" use Wild Bill as a primary source to prove some coast to coast scalping campaign? Smith and Slotkin specialize in literary history, pop culture, and development of national mythologies which has nothing to do with what you need Cody for. So good luck, and once again, you set the standard so bring the stuff.

Your subjective opinion, not the general opinion. SEE ABOVE.

Problem is it is barren up there "ABOVE." Not a thing to support your thesis or even opinion, "general" or otherwise when it comes to sourcing Buffalo Bill for your stated purpose.  

You're taking cover behind Mr. Lewy's broad shoulders again.

That`s very funny coming from someone I could accuse of hiding behind the "wide" stage of the Buffalo Bill "Wild West Show." Given a choice I`d take Lewy but I`ll still give both of us credit for putting ourselves out in the open.

I'm not debating with Mr. Lewy and against his arguments; I'm debating with you and against your arguments. Please don't assume to speak for him ("he and I speak from the perspective of the settler"). Mr. Lewy knows the concepts of criticism of sources and critical objectivity and distance and it shows. I cannot say the same about you, based on your posts here.

LOL! In case you forgot we were discussing Lewy`s article which is difficult to do without referencing his arguments. And yes, you have received numerous rebuttals from me including critiques of your sources and methods and counter analyses irrespective of Lewy so you are, once again, a liar.

To Be Continued...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oye11

Veteran
May 25, 2006
Florida
✟17,913.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Democrat
"Savage" is not the gist of the story. "Savage" was and still is just a tool. The big story is about the land and its resources. "It's a very rich country; and we want it."

The only problem here is your assumption that “savage was and still is just a tool” for material gain. Take out the word "just" and you are closer to something you can defend. Suspicion often follows culture clashes and other unfamiliarities and thus negative characterizations and stereotyping irrespective if someone wants to take something from the other person or group. Take the centuries long witch hunt phenomenon. There is no proof that material theft or acquisition was anything close to the dominate motive for these negative characterizations and persecutions. Very often these women were loners and not even the least bit well to do. But they were different and margainalized, from whence come fears, superstition, and hatred, mistrust, then panic. So where is the material profit motive behind the thought processes? So much for the Marxist economic theories which are often quite speculative and too simplified to explain complicated sociological realities. You haven`t even begun to prove that motivations to take property are always causative to the "they are savages" mindset in the New World. But since you are so big on concrete, primary source evidence to back up historical assertions perhaps you are about to give it a try...

Really? And not just "some" but "most"? And you know this how? There are, what, a billion or so Catholics in the world and you purport to *know* that most of them go through the motions with no real connection? Interesting indeed.

LOL There you go making things up again. Post the whole quote in context and it`s clear I was offering opinion. There can be no other in the matter of the condition of another`s heart. Yet the bible gives us clues such as the teaching of the camel and sewing needle. Few find the way. The wheat grows up with the tares thus false professors are among the genuine. Also those who habitually practice sin will not enter the kingdom no matter their profession (1 Corinthians 6-9-11, Galatians 5-19-21, Revelation 22-15) in spite of the popularity of Antinomian imaginations.

So? You not only read the minds of the world's Catholics but also of the world's Protestants?

Facts are fine without mind reading. Are you prepared to prove that anything like the majority of Protestant settlers in the New World, or if you will, within the confines of what became the U.S.A. were practicing believers in transubstantiation or Luther`s consubstantiation, eg. "it`s bread and wine but also real blood and flesh at the same time"? If so give it a try. To find Protestants who thought they were drinking Christ`s actual blood and eating his actual flesh you can focus on Lutheran migrants and perhaps some High Church Anglicans. However the 1662 revision of the Book of Common Prayer, which stood until the 20th C., reinstated the disclaimer, that the actual presence of the blood and flesh of Christ is not implied in the ritual and that the same is only found in heaven, not at Church altars. And the Protestant Episcopal Church in their 39 Articles (1801) rejects notions of transubstantiation while nothing along the lines of consubstantiation is described or confirmed.

Then there are of course many other groups, including the Congregationalists, Presbyterians, and other Reformed groups along with Baptists, Quakers, and the Methodists who all tend to take spiritual/symbolic approaches. And there were the two "Great Awakenings," the first of the 1730s and 40s which largely disenfranchised the Church of England in many colonies in the East. The second in the early 1800s expanded out West and resulted in the Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians (a distance 3rd) as the most prevalent religious groups in the land. Yes, there were some French and Spanish (Catholic culture) settlements, notably in the Gulf but ultimately the Anglo culture became dominant in colonial America as is most evidenced by the language we speak. So yes, reports of the practice of cannibalism among the Natives likely would have been very strange to many as well as viewed as primitive and barbaric.

And, I `ll add, that another poster offered some primary reports on cannibalism, one involving the Iroquois which, even though within the geographic boundaries of what would become the USA, you tried to dismiss as irrelevant because the source predates the Declaration of Independence (Post 142). Such an objection is positively ludicrous, as if the USA and all it`s socio-political and other cultural dynamics spontaneously appeared in a vacuum in 1776. I`ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are just desperate to quash evidence as otherwise you just haven`t a clue about the social sciences at even a secondary school level.

And the punishment was for what crime again?

Witchcraft, not that that matters. Again, since when is capital punishment a ritual sacrifice to the gods? Some used to really take the bible literally and such were capital offenses, to rid the society of perceived menaces. You are likewise reaching here trying to cover another one of your sweeping and unsubstantiated assertions, and in this case, a forced parallel. Of course we haven`t seen any primary sources or any kind at all to back it up.

I'm not worried about "the settler's" racistic world views; they were products of their own time and long gone.

I don`t believe you. It is obvious from your posts that you resent even what happened long ago, based of course on your slanted interpretation of it...

I'm more worried about my apologetic contemporaries who indiscriminatingly subscribe to and keep alive that same racist world view. That is inexcusable.

That`s fine, as long as you know what you deem as "racist" or "inexcusable" may not coincide with the convictions of others, and these matters are typically open to debate in democratic societies.

I repeat. "Putting yourself in the world of the people you study" does not mean indiscrimatingly adopting their world view.

LOL Let me know when you find someone who has made that argument.

It means that no solid historian today will adopt the word "squaw" and use it outside direct period quotes.

Most of this use of the word "squaw" controversy is a recent phenomenon. The idea that it cannot ever be used appropriately is still very much debated as the word has a Native Am etymology and it`s still used by a Native tribe to designate a traditional dance. So it`s obviously one of those situations where the word itself isn`t the issue but who is using it and with what intent. I was speaking colloquially in this informal setting to describe an Indian woman and with no pejorative as an intent. Your complaint is an ad hominem and a rabbit trail. Stick to the issues which involves supporting your numerous questionable claims.

Do you have anything to substantiate this? Or is this again one of your own notions, or perhaps one of your favourite "settler's" notion?

LOL Why should I have to substantiate something on this point? It`s you that asserted that rape and prostitution were unknown in North America before introduction by the settlers so it is your job to "substantiate." More on this in a moment.

I`m going to summarize beginning with a few additional quotes from you.

You say

“Yes, let's not waste our time on scalping as it was widely practiced and endorsed in North America by men of every skin hue.”

And you have in no way established that this issue is a "waste of time" as related to the historical question, "what dynamics influenced the savage perception?" A good place to start would be to show that the practice was imported and part of the Western Euro culture of the era. Can you do that? Otherwise it can be argued that the settlers were acting in retaliation to a practice that long pre-existed in the Americas. "Give the savages a taste of their own medicine".... I mean to lighten the burden on the Natives Ams you bring the far fetched claim that the settlers introduced rape and prostitution to the region... Why can`t we operate this in reverse in the matter of scalping? Not that there is any basis for believing that scalping was part of the Euro culture of this era... But this one no doubt stays on the table though the thesis is not dependant on it. There are a number of observable peculiarities that can factor into their perceptions and the historical question.

You also say

“Many euro-american sexual and arguably "savage" practices, such as prostitution and rape, on the other hand, were alien to North American native population.”

Wow, and when asked for proofs what you offered was particularly interesting. In post 128 you write...

"From the fact that money did not change hands before the euro-americans introduced the practice and from the fact that generally speaking, other cultures do not share our Judeo-Christian notions of sex and sexuality...?"

OK.... Two points here. First you tell us that money is a necessary accompaniment to prostitution.

Lets try a definition.

Prostitution:
offering sexual intercourse for pay
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Deerskins were often pay in the Native American economies were they not? So where do you get the idea that prostitution never happened? Are you noble savaging again?

Second point, you say the Native Ams weren`t Christians like that is supposed to prove something in this matter. Is prostitution somehow specific to Judeo-Christian cultures? I must say you have done a horrible job of supporting your assertions, ironic indeed for someone who demands decisive primary source evidence from others.

Other than this, your idea of some national, government inspired agenda to wipe out all the Native Ams remains unproven and largely refuted.

Your claim that the Salem witch trials and subsequent executions equate to some ritual sacrifice to a deity hasn`t begun to find wings.

Nor has Buffalo Bill.

Your claim that the "savage" designation was just manfactured as a utility, and all subsequent to and the effect of greed motives still remains unproven speculation and one that has been effectively called into question.

Your attempt to bar Colonial American information and sources and others related to nearby territories such as that which became Mexico from the discussion was not only exposed as obfuscation but just folly given the questions at hand.

You were also shown to be ignorant of a most basic point of geography.

Your insistence that others back up their historical claims with solid source material was shown as hypocritical, "do as I say, not as I do"....

On a positive note, you did come around to acknowledging that there was evil on both sides of the equation. Though you haven`t provided any practical scenarios as to how the conflicts could have been avoided. It is the thesis of myself that the interaction was inevitable as was winners and losers and subjugation given the differing cultural
makeups, eg. "irreconcilable differences" particularly on matters related to possession and use of property. This thesis was supported, hardly challenged, and certainly never overturned. It`s called migration, an ancient phenomenon and most integral to the human experience. Sometimes it isn`t pretty. The right or wrong of it we ultimately leave to the ministers and philosophers. What happened, when, where and why is the job of the historian.

I invite you to answer every point in these recent posts, without cherry picking, cutting out arguments, distorting context, or weaving straw men. There is a lot here with numerous direct challenges. Take on each one if you wish to command my attention here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0