No Formula Here-Daily Message-September 27, 2008

coolnfc

Student at William Jewell
Aug 14, 2003
Visit site
✟16,028.00
Faith
Christian
Dear Daily Message Readers, READ: Various verses below (and Jonah 2 below if you have not read it) BIBLEGATEWAY LINK: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=jonah 1;&version=47; Jonah 2:4 (ESV) “I thought I had been banished from your sight, that I would never again see your holy temple!” God has brought Jonah down to the depths. He is humbled and crying out for deliverance. Where does he turn his attention? He turns his focus toward the temple of the Lord. He is a northern prophet, but the temple was in the south. The temple was the place of God in the midst of His people. Jonah’s hope for answer is that the ear of the Lord heard him and will bring him the ultimate redemption and deliverance. The essence of biblical prayer is to turn your eyes and heart toward the triune God. Perhaps you believe prayer is some formula. If you just do it right, you persuade yourself, you can get the code and unlock the door of God’s storehouse. However, the idea here is a heart is gripped by God in dependence. Jonah’s heart and gaze is on the God that carries the burden. Do you approach God as Jonah did? The prophet frankly admitted God is sovereign and he released his prayer to God’s sovereign purposes. You can see that he plead with God for grace to glorify Him regardless of what He does. Jonah didn’t treat God like a “cosmic bellhop” or some secret formula. As you pray this day, consider your motive and the One to whom you are praying. Does it reflect the attitude presented here? Faith Lesson: The hardest part of prayer is bowing the knee to God’s sovereignty and character and praying, “Lord, not my will or glory, but your will and glory.” In Christ,Darin Smith