Dec 8, 2007
✟825,036.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We were the only Liturgical Church open in our city. While our own member attendance was a bit lower, we had a good turn out of people we did not know from other Churches. We know them now. They all praised us for doing what the Church does; ministering to the people of God in times of hardship as well as times of plenty. What an opportunity to witness!! We have canceled non service events, but our regular services and Lenten services continue as planned (with a few extra precautions).
Regrettably, such is no longer the case. We will be posting our recorded services on Face-Book for the time being.

• Prayers
Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Supisuomalainen sisupussi
Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yesterday, our government declared a state of emergency, banned gatherings with ten or more people and obliged senior citizen 70 years and older to self-isolate. So much for church services.

The Church Law nevertheless obliges parishes to offer church services, so the pastors will be there, the congregation not. Instead, services will be streamed online and broadcasted TV and radio. Last weekend, even before the state of emergency, the audience for Virtual Church doubled from normal. Churches will remain open and pastors will be there on hand and ready to offer private communion for those in need. A bit ironic, I should say, since private Mass was one of those abuses Luther protested against. But here we are.

Good thing is that parishes are already innovating, for example, arranging Facebook psalmodies and vespers.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you!

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Our Bishop has advised all churches to be prepared to not have live gatherings until May 15th. He recommends having a Easter Celebration service when we can actually gather again.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our Bishop has advised all churches to be prepared to not have live gatherings until May 15th. He recommends having a Easter Celebration service when we can actually gather again.
What a great idea! I hope my church does the same. I know of a couple who had to postpone their May wedding until September. I hope this virus is gone by then, but I think that they’re going to have to postpone it again.

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
<<<<<<We are already brainstorming what our celebration might look like whenever we are finally able to worship together in person.>>>>>>

Tampassteve, this is a quote from an email I received from my church. Looks like we might have a wonderful reunion when this is over.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What a great idea! I hope my church does the same. I know of a couple who had to postpone their May wedding until September. I hope this virus is gone by then, but I think that they’re going to have to postpone it again.
Yea, we were supposed to go to a wedding the day before Easter, they have postponed until August....who knows if they will really have it by then.

The celebration service will be good, I wonder if there are any old records from previous celebrations at the end of other plagues and pandemics?

Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea, we were supposed to go to a wedding the day before Easter, they have postponed until August....who knows if they will really have it by then.

The celebration service will be good, I wonder if there are any old records from previous celebrations at the end of other plagues and pandemics?
If it were my hubby and I, I’d probably find someone to quietly marry us around the original date (assuming someone was available) and then have a reception when it was allowed.

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Our church has started streaming services but no word about Easter service yet. They are probably discussing the options and will let everyone know when they’ve figured it out.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All our churches have now closed doors and pastors will no longer be there on hand in person but for an hour or two after the (closed) Sunday service. We have set up helplines and pastors and diaconal workers are off course still available over phone, email, Facebook.

You know just how bad it is when our national shrine, the Turku Cathedral, has had to close its doors for the first time in 90 years (!). Even during the war years 1939-1945, amid the bombings of Turku and even after the cathedral took direct hits, our "mother church" remained open. This virus doesn't make that whizzing bomb sound when it's about to hit. It's everywhere and it's silent and sneaky.

Easter Services may have to be cancelled. Physical fellowship have been put on hold. But hey, Easter cannot be cancelled! We are okay. :)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,036.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Our church has started streaming services but no word about Easter service yet. They are probably discussing the options and will let everyone know when they’ve figured it out.

We have done the same; learning as we go: St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church . Pastor is offering private Communion for any who desire it. Precautions are being taken to minimize risk. Clergy, no longer are permitted in hospitals, nursing homes or retirement homes (not considered essential service). My office and our plant have shut down for two weeks tentatively (they are giving us full pay; God Bless Them!). We are contacting our membership, directly to assess their needs both spiritually and materially so we can help where able. Our membership is now 100% home-bound people; and our wonderful Pastor who is less than a year since ordination, is coping quite well considering he and his wife have their third child coming in April! God bless them both!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,311.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it were my hubby and I, I’d probably find someone to quietly marry us around the original date (assuming someone was available) and then have a reception when it was allowed.

That is actually what they are going to do it turns out. I would have done the same myself :)

• Agree
Upvote 0

Kalevalatar

Jul 5, 2005
Pohjola
✟20,327.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ääh. Although Finland is just about the "best" EU country in terms of Covid "low" numbers, our infection numbers have gone up since polar night (< 8 hours of twilight/daylight with daily 16 hours of darkness), cold, sleet, slush, and more indoors vs. outdoors, and well beyond sunny outdoorsy Spring 2020 numbers. So, after a lockdown Eastern, we, too, are facing a lockdown Christmas. I feel we are being tested here, faith-wise. Virtual Church services only, max 10 people, no Masses, no "mass" Eucharist, again, although, privately, you can ask for one. As I have noted before, Luther raged against private Masses but here we are again, out of Covid necessity.

At least we have learned tons of "virtual" reach-out stuff to do since March 2020, so we aren't caught with our pants down and desperate to learn all the new tricks, a whole new language and a way of being a lähimmäinen, a fellow human being, a neighbour (literally the nearest one), not this time.

Our kids doing the traditional and obligatory (in Finland and Sweden) Hoosianna, Hosanna, which kicks starts our Advent Season:

Hosanna, son of David,
He shall be praised!
The praised son of David,
Who shall go by the Lord's name.

Also, for everyone internationally, the legendary Finnish Jouluradio, Christmas Radio -- ten channels, for free, not just in Finnish and Swedish but in English and international, from classic ("klassinen"), Jazz and Indie, to "Kauneimmat" (the Most Beautiful) Joulu (in Finnish) and Jul (in Swedish) to the more classical/religiously inclined to children's ("Lasten") to heavy ("Rouhea").

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My church had been having live services but suspended them because of the COVID spike. Our services are now being offered online. The Pastor has been dropping off wafers and wine at congregants homes for them to use during the service. Not being in church on Sundays has been strange, but it will seem particularly strange not being in church on Christmas Eve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FaithT

Dec 1, 2019
Midwest
✟156,007.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last Sunday, our Lutheran Church stopped administering the Eucharist as a precautionary measure against the Coronavirus. Beyond that, we've also stopped handshaking, extending peace, and tea after the service etc.

Given that I live in Japan, I can certainly appreciate the seriousness of the virus outbreak, but personally I'd rather keep the Eucharist. I feel like stopping it is a bit radical and it sends a message that it's not that valuable.

Once a month I also participate in an Anglican Eucharist service - it's a small international group and the service is in English - and as of yet, they still keep going. I may hold off going to those services, or at least stop bringing my 1 year old daughter, as the church is in the heart of bustling Osaka. But that means no Eucharist for quite some time.

I just saw on Instagram today that one of the bigger non-denominational churches in Osaka has opted for online services - that makes sense when bearing in mind their theological framework. So the churches over here are responding to the outbreak very differently.

How's your church doing? What's your view on the Eucharist (and Baptism for that matter) in relation to the Coronavirus?
Our church has Communion twice a month and are using these tiny, individual, plastic, prepackaged chalices (sp). They’re distributed when you enter the church, given out by gloved volunteers.

• Informative
Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,552.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I attend a Baptist Church. We haven't stopped taking part in the Lord's Supper and meet in person. We are preparing for alternative in person meetings if the lockdowns increase or if the local authorities attempt to prevent us from meeting. I pray my Lutheran brothers and sisters figure this out.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,036.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My church had been having live services but suspended them because of the COVID spike. Our services are now being offered online. The Pastor has been dropping off wafers and wine at congregants homes for them to use during the service. Not being in church on Sundays has been strange, but it will seem particularly strange not being in church on Christmas Eve.
In LCC we will not do this; it opens up the opportunity for abuses, unintentional and otherwise. We are entering our second lock-down, there will be no "remote" communion, however, because of the rules, Pastor is offering private communion to anyone who desires, either at the Church or their residence. Pastor has been doing this regularly for our members who are high risk, and are not comfortable coming to Church. This is what our on-line services have looked like before the lock-down:
blob: St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

My church has permitted congregants to have their own bread and wine for "remote" Communion online; but it's not something I've been doing, mostly because I'm not entirely sure how comfortable I am with that particular arrangement.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0