✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A post from Andrew Tiner on FaceBook:

"We must daily deny ourselves and make sure that we are rejecting the sinful desires of our flesh. If we let any of the desires of our flesh arise, the flesh has a tendency to take us over.
Entertainment is one of those fleshly desires that will slowly take over you if you do not quickly push it down and get it out of your life.
People have a tendency to love to sit down relax watch TV or play video games after work. It is not right for a child of God to play video games, watch TV, or live for mindless entertainment.
As the children of God we must keep ourselves holy and separate from worldly desires and fruitless activities.
Our day from beginning to end should be filled with the glory of God and doing HIS fruitful work.
Keep yourself unstained from the world or you are unfit for the kingdom of God!

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

"We must daily deny ourselves and make sure that we are rejecting the sinful desires of our flesh. If we let any of the desires of our flesh arise, the flesh has a tendency to take us over.
Entertainment is one of those fleshly desires that will slowly take over you if you do not quickly push it down and get it out of your life.
People have a tendency to love to sit down relax watch TV or play video games after work. It is not right for a child of God to play video games, watch TV, or live for mindless entertainment.
As the children of God we must keep ourselves holy and separate from worldly desires and fruitless activities.
Our day from beginning to end should be filled with the glory of God and doing HIS fruitful work.
It's not right for him because it would be against his conscience. Me, I need to veg at times. I had a chat to my heavenly dad. He said fine, but don't overdo it.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Who wrote this FB post? a boomer? Just don't be a consoomer and enjoy some entertainment but read and do exercise
ooooooh be careful. Bodily exercise is of little profit. Unless you own a gym.

Upvote 0

boxman144

Mar 7, 2020
Not Saying
✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's another post of his on TV:

Get Rid of TV
"When the Apostle Paul wrote his letter to the Romans, he says this to those Christians who want to follow after JESUS. “But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of GOD, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. For the wages of sin is DEATH, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Anyone wanting to follow Jesus has to get SIN OUT OF THER LIFE. That can only happen by you choosing to REPENT and call on the name of JESUS CHRIST. Many Christians are under the FALSE impression that the don’t have to do anything, they don’t have to lift a finger. They say that Jesus has already done everything for them on the cross, now they can kick back and watch TV. If you are not willing to get the things OUT of your life that are a hinderance, you won’t be ale to follow Jesus. Many Christians are addicted to their TV, to the movies, to worldliness, they just want to be entertained, but they could care less to hear from Jesus AND GO WITH HIM. If you are still sinning you are a slave to sin, but if you really are following Jesus you are a new slave to righteousness. Are you really going with Jesus? Are you HIS slave? Or are you still a slave to SIN? May the grace of Jesus be with you."

Upvote 0

boxman144

Mar 7, 2020
Not Saying
✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And another one:

"Entertainment just for the sake of your own pleasure is a very dangerous thing because it feeds the flesh and quenches the Holy Spirit on your life. Many Christians are destroyed by entertainment whether it is books, movies, TV, sports, hobbies, or just keeping themselves busy with something mundane so they don't have to work things out with Jesus and be productive. Don't be deceived or fall asleep as many Christians have do to entertainment and their own pleasure. If you live for yourself you are walking to hell. Jesus calls HIS disciples to DAILY deny themselves take up the cross and follow Him. He who is not denying Himself and productive for the kingdom of God is not fruit bearing and in danger of being cut off and thrown into the fire."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Osmotik

Mar 29, 2020
Oklahoma
✟32,585.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a perfect Christian but I don't understand where he draws the line with entertainment. Is painting or playing an instrument in this category? Is it the part where your mind is basically numbed, regardless of the specific activity, that he is attacking? I wouldn't disagree with that part too much but I think some mental relaxation is completely normal, so long as it isn't unhealthily overindulged.

ooooooh be careful. Bodily exercise is of little profit. Unless you own a gym.

I think vanity is wrong but I would think the idea of 'mind, body, soul' is important. I work out a fair amount as stress relief and I think it is good to take care of your body, it is your temple. Just don't be super vain or overly into yourself and your looks.

Upvote 0

boxman144

Mar 7, 2020
Not Saying
✟20,412.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And this:

"Satan uses music to destroy the minds and hearts of teenagers and young people. They think that they just like the music because of its beat or it's style, but in reality they are moving to Satan's tongue, which will prohibit them from ever coming into the kingdom of God, being filled with the Holy Spirit and having the NEW tongue that comes from the Spirit of Truth. Have nothing to do with rap, with dubstep, with rock music, punk rock, or any of the new genres that think they're so postmodern and envied. This sort of music will take you to hell.
Those who receive the Holy Spirit are born again with a new mind new heart a new style and a new tongue. This new birth and new tongue is NEVER an imitation of Satan's tongue. There are many supposedly Christian artists who are supposedly rapping for Christ and rocking out for God. This is a deception from hell. You can't serve Jesus with the devil's tongue and the devil style. Jesus did not call us to rap for Him or to make rock music for Him, Jesus called us to make disciples and to live holy and pure lives, completely unstained from the world.
Don't copy the Christians who pretend to be Godly by making supposed Christian music. They are double agents, used by Satan, targeting teenagers and youth. Be smart, be led by the Holy Spirit, live holy and be separate from ungodly worldly perverted music, even if it is considered "Christian." Touch NOTHING that is unclean, don't even pretend to be like it, and God will accept you."

Upvote 0

Duke of Stratford

One day at a time.
Jun 2, 2019
America
✟33,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Touch NOTHING that is unclean, don't even pretend to be like it, and God will accept you.

That sounds an awful lot like adding conditions onto salvation to me.

This guy sounds like a legalist. We should be careful not to let entertainment consume our lives, but There isn’t anything wrong with enjoying entertainment so long as it doesn’t cause you to stumble. I consider entertainment a Romans 14 issue. If it’s not good for this guy, he shouldn’t do it, but he shouldn’t say it’s in full for literally everyone else.

Also, anybody who says a specific musical style is inherently satanic loses all credibility for me.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟215,732.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Personal convictions of things are just that....personal convictions. If in fact it's the absolute truth that Christians should not engage in any entertainment there's a danger of breaking somebody down in an uncharitable way rushing them before their spirit has seen the truths of certain things. The Bible says in Isaiah 43:2 the smoking flax he will not snuff out . If we get into legalism over certain things we could do that very thing.

God works with people and draws them into a different way of thinking about things over time, which can and might happen. Of course blatant type of sin should be sought to be set side and overcome immediately but I hardly think one could say ALL that is A double L, all entertainment could be considered such. The Bible says there's a difference between weights and sins as well.
Heb 12:1,2 Some things like we could say entertainment might not be sin and God doesn't mind it to a measure BUT if over engaged in it can become a weight....and yes then a sin.

But a reasonable amount of entertainment may not even be a weight at least that's my conviction. Too much of it then yes it can....each one must get the feel in their own spirit and allow it to be God that brings conviction not somebody trying to put on them their own way of thinking.

I do recall a very, very well known ministry a good man but years ago he was exhorting everybody to get rid of their TV sets....only to hear them say a few years later say they turned on their TV set and.........I had to wonder what happened. So they created a standard for people and over time found it not to be realistic.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Personal convictions of things are just that....personal convictions. If in fact it's the absolute truth that Christians should not engage in any entertainment there's a danger of breaking somebody down in an uncharitable way rushing them before their spirit has seen the truths of certain things. The Bible says in Isaiah 43:2 the smoking flax he will not snuff out . If we get into legalism over certain things we could do that very thing.

God works with people and draws them into a different way of thinking about things over time, which can and might happen. Of course blatant type of sin should be sought to be set side and overcome immediately but I hardly think one could say ALL that is A double L, all entertainment could be considered such. The Bible says there's a difference between weights and sins as well.
Heb 12:1,2 Some things like we could say entertainment might not be sin and God doesn't mind it to a measure BUT if over engaged in it can become a weight....and yes then a sin.

But a reasonable amount of entertainment may not even be a weight at least that's my conviction. Too much of it then yes it can....each one must get the feel in their own spirit and allow it to be God that brings conviction not somebody trying to put on them their own way of thinking.

I do recall a very, very well known ministry a good man but years ago he was exhorting everybody to get rid of their TV sets....only to hear them say a few years later say they turned on their TV set and.........I had to wonder what happened. So they created a standard for people and over time found it not to be realistic.
Agree, unfortunately what creates is kids growing up being resentful of their Christianity

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There is nothing wrong with a bit of entertainment. The best kinds, done in a group, are a way of loving your neighbour.

Upvote 0

WDSobieski

Remember you're still loved!
Mar 25, 2020
Hessen
✟26,485.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Who wrote this FB post? a boomer? Just don't be a consoomer and enjoy some entertainment but read and do exercise
Honestly, if that fellow really despises entertainment of all forms, why he's still using social media as it's by far the most popular form of entertainment? Hypocrisy to the core...

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟215,732.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ruitful work.

Problem is one could say that about absolutely everything. OK so you give up entertainment. So what about food? Couldn't the fleshly desire slowly take you over and you enter the sin of gluttony? Of course. What's the solution.....no more food whatsoever? Starve yourself to death? Or rather that you allow the fruit of the spirit of self-control to rise up and take charge.

• Agree
Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0

WDSobieski

Remember you're still loved!
Mar 25, 2020
Hessen
✟26,485.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
That sounds an awful lot like adding conditions onto salvation to me.

This guy sounds like a legalist. We should be careful not to let entertainment consume our lives, but There isn’t anything wrong with enjoying entertainment so long as it doesn’t cause you to stumble. I consider entertainment a Romans 14 issue. If it’s not good for this guy, he shouldn’t do it, but he shouldn’t say it’s in full for literally everyone else.

Also, anybody who says a specific musical style is inherently satanic loses all credibility for me.
Exactly what you've said. Christians are an extremely diverse group and everyone can have their own threshold, but brushing your standards on others' face, nope.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm not a perfect Christian but I don't understand where he draws the line with entertainment. Is painting or playing an instrument in this category? Is it the part where your mind is basically numbed, regardless of the specific activity, that he is attacking? I wouldn't disagree with that part too much but I think some mental relaxation is completely normal, so long as it isn't unhealthily overindulged.

I think vanity is wrong but I would think the idea of 'mind, body, soul' is important. I work out a fair amount as stress relief and I think it is good to take care of your body, it is your temple. Just don't be super vain or overly into yourself and your looks.
I was endeavouring to inject a little humour into the discussion. And I agree with your first statement.

• Haha
Reactions: Osmotik
Upvote 0