No, Dems move to repeal DOMA and federally protect same sex marriage won't cost the Church it's tax-exempt status

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was on Reddit a little bit ago and someone shared a tweet from Marjorie Taylor Greene alleging that the bill that just passed the Senate to federally protect same-sex marriage would cost the Catholic Church (and any other religious institution that maintains the correct teachings of marriage and family) our tax-exempt status. I don't have the tweet from MTG but I'm looking for it (the thread on Reddit was taken down cause political threads are only allowed on Mondays).

At any rate, we reported on this bill a few days ago and one specific point listed at the 1:27 mark is that there the bill also "Safe-guards all conscience protections and religious liberties under law." So I believe the congresswoman is wrong.

Here's the link to our story on the topic:

Don't get me wrong, this legislation is awful and if MTG were correct then the subsequent litigation would strike down the law quicker than you can say Help Me Rhonda. But I think that's why they're putting that clause in there to safeguard religious liberties because they don't want the whole thing struck down by the court and inadvertently strengthen DOMA.

Just wanted to throw some clarity out there in case anyone else saw her tweet and thought the same thing.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,444.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Well not seeing the bill and not reading the exemptions and what they say it's hard to be able to really comment on this. Maybe the exemptions are not clear enough. Would religious organizations be required to recognize same sex marriages? Will they be required to perform them? I have more questions. I'd love to actually read the bill and see for myself.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well not seeing the bill and not reading the exemptions and what they say it's hard to be able to really comment on this. Maybe the exemptions are not clear enough. Would religious organizations be required to recognize same sex marriages? Will they be required to perform them? I have more questions. I'd love to actually read the bill and see for myself.
I found the House version (H.R. 8404) that was originally passed over the summer, not sure what the Senate version is designated. It's six pages and the language of the bill doesn't mention religious institutions one way or another. As I'm understanding it's essentially saying government or civil authority cannot deny same-sex "marriages" the same benefits as real marriages. But the language doesn't extend to religious bodies, private businesses, or individual citizens.

Maybe my interpretation is wrong, see what you think. Here's a link to the PDF on Congress' website.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thanks I did find the bill and didn't see anything exempting religious organizations. Maybe the Senate bill is different. I have a hard time believing that businesses would be exempt as well since a lot of them include spouses in their benefits packages.
I guess they will just pass it to see what’s in it.

When the stuff hits the fan nobody should be shocked if priests are imprisoned for violating Federal law on marriage.

Maybe this new law will embolden a priest or two to follow the law and forsake the Gospel. Like is happening in Germany.

Upvote 0

Chesster

Jul 30, 2004
Virginia
✟150,005.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My problem is that they don’t define what an “individual” is. They don’t specify that an individual has to be human. This opens the door to the marriage between a human and an android or an animal-human hybrid or a pet or the nearest tree.

Reactions: Think...
Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My problem is that they don’t define what an “individual” is. They don’t specify that an individual has to be human. This opens the door to the marriage between a human and an android or an animal-human hybrid or a pet or the nearest tree.
Or humans marrying animals ... which is coming down the pike right along with Pedo marriage.

Doors are being opened for very specific future intentions.

The world is looking more like the devil's neighborhood every day now.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,234,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Or humans marrying animals ... which is coming down the pike right along with Pedo marriage.

Doors are being opened for very specific future intentions.

The world is looking more like the devil's neighborhood every day now.
The slippery slope they all said was a figment of our imagination turned out to be a very real thing. Surprise!

Now they will say there is no chance of what you say above ever happening. Until it does.

Upvote 0

Think...

Jun 16, 2019
South
✟13,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The slippery slope they all said was a figment of our imagination turned out to be a very real thing. Surprise!

Now they will say there is no chance of what you say above ever happening. Until it does.
Bingo!

Organizations like NAMBLA will be marching in the streets in no time and Pedo-Pride Month will be a reality before we know it.

It all started with taking of the 10 Commandments off the walls of every municipal building in the country and taking prayer, God, and the pledge of allegiance, out of schools. Imagine if we'd said then that the world would shortly look like it does today. We'd have been mocked and marginalized as kooks and crazies.

Yet, ... here we are.

We-Dont-Hide-The-CRazy-We-Parade-It-Down-The-Street-Mardi-Gras-Filled-Machine-Embroidery-Design-Digitized-Pattern-700x700.jpg

Upvote 0